Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Hmm yeah maybe I'll stick to PS1. I like the ps1 graphics anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
There's some frame rate issue in the remaster that makes the gunblade trigger much harder to use than the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She figured out Laguna was Squall's dad a lot faster than I did. I remember when I first beat the game in the early 2000s I felt so proud for eventually piecing it together when Kiros and Ward basically spell it out to you at the end of Disk 3. Here she is at the start of Disk 3 and she's on the ball.

My only defense is I was a young teenager at the time. I imagine everybody debating the topic back then were also young stupid kids.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

NikkolasKing posted:

She figured out Laguna was Squall's dad a lot faster than I did. I remember when I first beat the game in the early 2000s I felt so proud for eventually piecing it together when Kiros and Ward basically spell it out to you at the end of Disk 3. Here she is at the start of Disk 3 and she's on the ball.

My only defense is I was a young teenager at the time. I imagine everybody debating the topic back then were also young stupid kids.

Oh yeah, I remember huge debates about that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'll probably do any future playthroughs I do in the remaster but it's definitely a mixed bag. The mix of updated and non-updated models makes it feel more like a fan mod, and the more detailed but expressionless faces make some scenes where the characters get right up in the camera (like the cockpit scene w/ Squall and Rinoa) unintentionally silly.

Edit: even though it's basically the same situation the updated FFIX gets away with it better IMO because the updated models aren't as ambitious with how much more detailed they are.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NikkolasKing posted:

I somehow missed this is while playing and only got it by listening to Retronauts’ FF8 episode. I think I have trouble retaining information from text-heavy JRPGs.

Asterite34 posted:

Another useful tip: render Squall Blind

The blindness status effect doesn't set your accuracy to zero, it just subtracts 100 from the percentage chance of hitting. Squall natively has 255% accuracy. Meaning that even completely blind, he'll always hit. But the GAME treats this as a significant enough handicap that you'll get Limit Breaks easier.

You might think this is a Daredevil thing where blindness enhances his other senses, but no. Squall just puts on dark sunglasses, pretends to be blind, and while the enemies are feeling sorry for him he gets in a sucker punch.

This loving rules.

zakharov posted:

There's some frame rate issue in the remaster that makes the gunblade trigger much harder to use than the original.

It took me a little bit to learn the timing, but it’s loving hilarious FF8 has an easy button that lets Squall do 50% extra damage.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always imagined he's shooting a bullet down the blade right when it lines up, but he never uses it as a gun anywhere else I don't think so maybe not. Does Seifer also have a trigger?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Electromax posted:

I always imagined he's shooting a bullet down the blade right when it lines up, but he never uses it as a gun anywhere else I don't think so maybe not. Does Seifer also have a trigger?

Isn't the lore that the trigger actually just vibrates the blade or something

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hitting the trigger on a normal attack is still pretty reliable (pull it right after the "whoosh" sound), but it definitely feels like there's something funky with the limit break triggers, like you have to hit them way earlier than it looks like given the slider.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The combat in the PSX version has a 60 FPS menu overlay for that smooth limit break and GF boosting action, while drawing all the 3D elements at 15 FPS, but the remaster has a 15 FPS cap applied to everything on screen during combat. Not only is it harder to time inputs, but because it's all running at 1/4 of the speed you're used to, it's only detecting them a quarter of the time, too. You've basically got a 25% chance of your input being read and accepted on the same frame you pressed it or it gets eaten for 1-3 frames otherwise. It makes combat (menu-based, turn-based combat, no less!) feel gross and adds a non-trivial amount of input lag. I'm not confident there aren't other things going on in emulation that don't add more input delay, too, because just when it feels like you've got the limit break timing down by pressing a little earlier than usual, you're still not early enough sometimes.

Did good AI-upscaled backgrounds ever come to fruition? I downloaded a pack called Angelwing that I found on qhimm. It runs poorly and looks even worse. Most of the screens look like watercolor vomit and have very glaring graphical issues that make the screen almost look like it's a jigsaw puzzle, which is not at all what the preview shots look like. If it were not for another post I saw while looking for more information, I would have thought I'd installed it incorrectly.

Supposedly there is a newer version coming out sometime in the future. Most of the info I can find about angelwing ultima is from early summer 2020 and it's mainly just ads for a $15 patreon subscription. Well, there are lower tiers, but you apparently have to pay $15 eventually to get access to it beyond a limited timeframe. Given how terrible angelwing not-ultima looks in practice, I'm highly skeptical of plopping down $7 more than the game itself cost for the privilege of downloading an alpha version of a mod with the same name. Feels like a slow drip patreon grift to my ignorant self. "Subscription-based Final Fantasy mods" is such a stupid concept, but ...Whatever

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ardryn posted:

Isn't the lore that the trigger actually just vibrates the blade or something

Correct. When the trigger is pressed the blade vibrates. I know in later games however Gunblades are basically guns with weapons built into them.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I decided to play the Switch version even though there's the input lag and such also. In retrospect I'm glad I did...Kinda.

Initial thoughts on the game after playing about a hour (realistically two hours...)

1. This game is slllooowwwwwww in battle. It really feels like watching early early 90s CGI in how slow it moves.
2. The systems seem convoluted but fun once you get the hang of it. I can't tell if its good to have multiple summons in my GF or if I should just stick to one?
3. Triple Triad I don't know how to win. I understand what its doing from playing it in FF14 but I keep losing which means I don't have enough cards to play it anymore lol.
4. The obnoxious white flashing light when you do the guntrigger. My wife has epilepsy and thats a big no no. So that's why i'm glad I have it on Switch so I can turn the screen away from her when I'm playing. I wish you could shut it off. I'll probably have to play the game ignoring that feature unfortuantely, hopefully I won't bone myself.
5. Starting the game off with a timed dungeon without any context was really really dumb. I picked 10 minutes because I didn't know it'd be game over if you don't meet it. -_-. Had to replay that all again.
6. Draw....am I supposed to just spam it on bosses until I get a certain move?

Hoping not being able to use the gunbreaker move won't hamper me because I do enjoy this game so far.

Thanks goons.

This should probably go in the retro games forum lol

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Drawing magic isn't necessary most of the time, but you still want Draw available during boss fights because lots of bosses have GFs you have to draw from them to get.

The card game gets a lot easier to win one you have some rare cards on you.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The trigger is just bonus damage, its useful but hardly necessary.

Don't use Quistis's Degenerator limit as its a fuckton of flashing lights.

The GFs you can draw from bosses will be ID'd in the list, not ????.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
You don’t need to draw repeatedly to get moves, AFAIK the list that first comes up for the Draw is all they’ll have, barring changing their level with abilities.

Also it’s surprising you find it slow. Granted I came into 8 off the Switch port of FF9, but it felt really slick and responsive to me. Granted, I never used GFs in battle, but I’ve heard that the animations get very old very quickly.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

2. The systems seem convoluted but fun once you get the hang of it. I can't tell if its good to have multiple summons in my GF or if I should just stick to one?

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I think you’re asking if it’s okay to junction multiple GFs to one character, which is good and recommended to give your characters the most abilities and buffs.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yeah that was basically the question lol. Thanks

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Even the bastion of positivity Karkalla thinks Irvine is total garbage.

I love it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/karkalla/status/1479648788939624450

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i never played ff8 (played 7 on the switch tho) but the cool ghost lp of it is very cool and informative!! :)

also lagunas cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Correct. When the trigger is pressed the blade vibrates. I know in later games however Gunblades are basically guns with weapons built into them.

in ffxiv the lore is that the first gunblades were like the ff8 ones, and were named that because the people who used them were the blades of a queen named gunnhildr. Then, later, someone invented a projectil weapon with a similar-looking revolver cartridge and went "huh, this is like a gunblade without a blade. I guess I'll call it a gun."

then, later, different people put swords on guns and also called those gunblades

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i really dislike her refusal to accept even the mist minor gameplay spoilers. She's just gonna miss out on Ultima Weapon and the entire Deep Sea facility content now

FFVIII Ultima Weapon rules. The design, atmosphere, music....just a great, great superboss. Omega Weapon is super lame by comparison, even if it's infinitely harder.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I just got up to Timber and that train mission. This game is cool but I think I don't like the junction system and wish I could just play this like a normal FF.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i play this video game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Videogames' voices for everyone are the things this game was always missing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I just got up to Timber and that train mission. This game is cool but I think I don't like the junction system and wish I could just play this like a normal FF.

I think the junctioning would have been a lot more confusing if I hadn’t read a guide laying out who gets what GF and what order to learn their abilities every time I got a new GF.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Oooo where is that guide

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Oooo where is that guide

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/266152-final-fantasy-viii-remastered/faqs/72431/walkthrough-disc-1

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Sweet thank you very much

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
i love ff8

here is my favourite ff8 track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXIsI1I1ds

re speedrunning chat a couple of pages ago, Luzbel got banned from AGDQ for being generally pretty gross. Muttski is actually a great dude all around though, check him out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember back in the day Blue Fields getting a general “meh” response, but it’s grown on me a lot over the years.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

i love ff8

re speedrunning chat a couple of pages ago, Luzbel got banned from AGDQ for being generally pretty gross. Muttski is actually a great dude all around though, check him out.

There are some slightly up-tempo piano versions of this track I really like too. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJPDjfZ4Vc

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
edit: wrong thread

Luitpold fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 12, 2022

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

i love ff8

Got to where this plays in FFXIV the other year and burst into tears, I was completely blindsided, both by it showing up and by my own reaction to it, I guess I might have played too much FFVIII

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Shoehead posted:

Got to where this plays in FFXIV the other year and burst into tears, I was completely blindsided, both by it showing up and by my own reaction to it, I guess I might have played too much FFVIII

I very much enjoyed hearing it in 14.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

i really dislike her refusal to accept even the mist minor gameplay spoilers. She's just gonna miss out on Ultima Weapon and the entire Deep Sea facility content now

FFVIII Ultima Weapon rules. The design, atmosphere, music....just a great, great superboss. Omega Weapon is super lame by comparison, even if it's infinitely harder.

Well you got your wish.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF8's junction system would've been so much more comprehensible (at least to me as a child) if the basic junctions like STR-J, MAG-J, etc were all unlocked from the start.
Then the tutorial can just be "instead of buying equipment like in the old days, we equip magic to our stats to improve them".

And also maybe if you had a common pool of magic to allocate from. Like, you have a max of 500 Fires in the pool (to match a 512 binary limit), you can stick 50 on Squall's STR and 50 to Rinoa's DEF.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
More comprehensible but less fun imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Karkalla finished Final Fantasy VIII :toot: here is the voting for the next game she will play https://strawpoll.com/a2bjjf8e7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Did they ever do anything else with the characters in the game, like did any of.them show up in KH or like the weird mobile spin offs?