Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Zamujasa posted:

the best part about working from home is being able to just peace out during a meeting to take a big fat poo poo

do you bring the laptop in with you or no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sniep posted:

do you bring the laptop in with you or no

just my wireless headset. after all, if they wanted to see something horrible constantly spewing poo poo they need simply turn off their monitor

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
oh, headset, i dont have one of those i just use speaker/mic

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zamujasa posted:

just my wireless headset. after all, if they wanted to see something horrible constantly spewing poo poo they need simply turn off their monitor

remember to forget to mute :shittydog:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jabor posted:

A lot of the time you don't sit down at your desk and immediately jump into coding poo poo up.

You catch up on email, reacquaint yourself with what you were working on, figure out what you're gonna do today. That's work. But it's stuff you can do on the train just fine.
this is my whole morning

then my whole afternoon is thinking about what ill do tomorrow

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

FMguru posted:

yeah its for your morning administrative tasks - update tickets, add notes to stories, read the cafeteria menu, ping people you need responses from, etc.

ok i kind of can imagine doing stuff like this on a phone when sitting on a packed tokyo commuter train or the paris metro/rer, both of which are pubtrans commutes i have experienced. my work currently means that each morning is sync up with the head office on the other side of the planet before they clock out, which means voice meetings, which means it is impossible to do on any kind of mass transit, because you will piss everyone else off at best

but also this is probably against every company regulation that even vaguely cares about randos shouldersurfing and overhearing you talking about corporate stuff

i am currently remote, but my calculus for office commute is basically: if i can bike there and back, it counts as exercise and i will still leave early some days because drugs that completely shut off work think outside of office hours have not been invented yet, not to mention the ability to just leave my work knowledge into a magical orb on the desk at gently caress this poo poo o'clock

i usually try to live in a 10-30 minute bike ride from the office

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
cryptonector 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

You can never know if the vaccine made it less bad. If you don't like anecdotes about how tame covid was w/o vaccines, don't say things like "it would have been worse w/o the vaccine".

gitgrump 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

But statistically it is. Unvaccinated people die more. Vaccinated people die less. You can't _know_ in a meaningful sense in your specific instance, but your risk is what it is no matter what. I'm not sure what's hard about this.

cryptonector 57 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Sources please. Include the ones that get censored.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oops how do i unattach something uhh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 11, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

technomancy 27 hours ago

When trusting the developers (and if you don’t, why would you use their library?)

If you trust the developers, why not give them root on your laptop? After all, you’re using their library so you must trust them, right?

--

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

technomancy is actually super cool & good and I know them IRL.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the point they're trying to make is that if you trust someone enough to execute their library, it's sort of silly to say "oh well obviously you should do ... (pin the version, etc.) just in case they make a malicious change." If you just pin the version and leave it you also run into problems from unpatched vulnerabilities, etc.

I'm not sure there's really a solution, although the situation is definitely worse in javascript-land because every package has twenty thousands indirect dependencies.

Also this seems to be from lobste.rs and it seems like this person stopped posting on hacker news so maybe they deserve a little benefit of the doubt.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think even that is overcomplicating the point. it is not like you're reading the version you pin either, you're deploying and running this persons code sight unseen, as far as security boundaries and trust go you may indeed as well just give them root access.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

root’s bad but I got a lot of poo poo in dotfiles under my own user

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MononcQc posted:

root’s bad but I got a lot of poo poo in dotfiles under my own user

yeah, i think people overestimate how important a distinction root is for most systems. if you control library code you'll have the access devs have, and the access the system in production has. even without invoking some privilege escalation i think in most cases that will add up to just about anything you might actually want.

at the very least i don't think it is an unfair comparison in levels of trust.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think even that is overcomplicating the point. it is not like you're reading the version you pin either, you're deploying and running this persons code sight unseen, as far as security boundaries and trust go you may indeed as well just give them root access.

what? it makes perfect sense to both (a) trust that the code currently published on npm and already used in the dev environment is fine, and (b) not trust that the guy who wrote that code won't leak his npm private key to or go nuts and push an infinite loop on a friday night

and no, you don't need to manually audit every line of code you import, unless you run a medical software company or something. you can do what LTS releases of ordinary software does: wait a few weeks or months before pulling updates, trusting that malware or horrible bugs will have been sniffed out by then.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is not at all perfectly reasonable, the sniffing out is not something that happens by itself.

do you even have a system for the months of sniffing criteria set up?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

what? it makes perfect sense to both (a) trust that the code currently published on npm and already used in the dev environment is fine, and (b) not trust that the guy who wrote that code won't leak his npm private key to or go nuts and push an infinite loop on a friday night

and it also makes sense to (c) not trust the guy to not introduce a bug that suddenly breaks your poo poo

there are application domains like aviation related stuff where they won't even dare upgrade the hardware and pay a premium for old rear end replacement network cards or whatever because they have validated and certified that their poo poo works on that particular hardware when they developed it decades ago

and then you have all the idiot webdevs that automatically update all their dependencies everytime their ci runs just lmao

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

idk about you but i don't particularly want to use the nasa coding guidelines for writing games or internal tools, no

sure, there are domains like aviation where every line of code needs to be inspected by multiple pairs of eyes, vetted by a qualified engineer, and relentlessly tested in every possible scenario at all times. so is medicine and anything capable of physically maiming or financially ruining a man

there are far more domains where as long as you don't happily download a crypto miner or a fresh left-pad into your program, a reasonable effort to discover show-stopping bugs during tests is more than enough

there's a kind of programmer, who is incidentally quite common on hn, who love to ponder their orbs insist that everything should fall under the former category

in the log4j threads i saw some hn'ers suggesting with a straight face that it was irresponsible and unprofessional to import log4j in the first place unless you had personally gone through its entire source code yourself. rofl

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I just login as root, op

never run into permissions issues

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

idk about you but i don't particularly want to use the nasa coding guidelines for writing games or internal tools, no

see, this is a very different take from "as long as i pin already old packages magic gnomes i also don't pay will keep me safe"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
dncornholio 9 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: PHP in 2022

Hating on PHP almost feels like racism. All the arguments are biased or false. I always get sad after clicking on PHP articles on HN.

HN: racism isn't real, except when it's against PHP developers.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

or conversely

HN: racism is bullshit since people can just learn a new race

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr.Radar posted:

Hating on PHP almost feels like racism. All the arguments are biased or false. I always get sad after clicking on PHP articles on HN.

ackthully php is anti-semetic because they removed the paamayim nekudotayim for being hebrew, and furthermore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zlodo posted:

and it also makes sense to (c) not trust the guy to not introduce a bug that suddenly breaks your poo poo

there are application domains like aviation related stuff where they won't even dare upgrade the hardware and pay a premium for old rear end replacement network cards or whatever because they have validated and certified that their poo poo works on that particular hardware when they developed it decades ago

and then you have all the idiot webdevs that automatically update all their dependencies everytime their ci runs just lmao

in those domains it’s called “software of unknown provenance” or soup

I’m sure web devs would counter that npm, inc isn’t unknown! just look at their crunch base https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/npm

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
this one isn't bad or anything, i just appreciated this unironic article title

Why I Like D (aradaelli.com)
9 points by aradaelli 1 hour ago | hide | 6 comments

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29900496

i like this thread because everyone gives a different (conflicting) answer

prime nerd hn know-it-all-ism

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

yea im a php realist

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jensson 9 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Those were thanks to labor movements, not unions. They are not the same thing, labor movements happens thanks to Democracy. Democracy is crucial, I agree, it lets groups organize, protest and fix problems with how society works. But what we call unions today are not that.
I'm all for labor engaging in politics, but they can do that without paying union dues for working at a company. The problem USA's workers face today isn't lack of unions, it is lack of proper representation in their democracy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"I'm all for labor engaging in politics, but" - an archetypically HN way to start a sentence

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

shot:

sahil50 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

fyi, "dark matter" is not a real thing. Modified gravity (MOND) accurately models galactic rotation for hundreds of galaxies with sqrt(GM/R^2 * c*H / 2pi), without the stupid and ludicrous idea of invisible, noninteracting blobs of dark matter around every galaxy.
The reason "dark matter" has persisted in the public consciousness is that TV cosmologists keep pumping it, and academics currently in charge built their careers on it and don't want to lose their funding.

chaser:

sahil50 41 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I have a degree in Computer Science from Yale. I built https://zedtime.live and I'm building https://spase.io and I've been in direct communication with cold dark matter (CDM) and modified gravity (MOND) cosmologists for the last 20 weeks. I basically ask the questions that I'm gonna guess everyone has on their mind, and I'm just moving the conversation along faster.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sabine Hossenfelder’s blog is a real good resource if you want to know true things about MOND and other physics past the standard model btw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that could be the realest of real things but my first assumption from the phrase “I've been in direct communication with cold dark matter (CDM) and modified gravity (MOND) cosmologists for the last 20 weeks” will always be that this is an oh god this rear end in a top hat emailed me again?!! situation

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been in direct communication with cold dark matter (CDM) and it wants you to turn on the lights and raise the thermostat

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you're cold, it's cold. let it in

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Zamujasa posted:

if you're cold, it's cold. let it in

I can't tell if I did or not.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Sabine Hossenfelder’s blog is a real good resource if you want to know true things about MOND and other physics past the standard model btw

a trip there reminded me that:

1. MOND is MOdified Newtonian Dynamics which means we know and always have known it's not a complete and useful theory in and of itself, as it does not address relativistic phenomena

2. MOND vs. dark matter isn't settled by any means, except in the sense that as per #1, we know MOND can't really be a "winner"

i am probably saying the above things wrong and/or getting some of the implications wrong, of course

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone saying "it is a fact that x is wrong and all the experts agree y is right" when in reality the experts are divided on whether x or y is correct is pretty much every conversation on the internet

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

mystes posted:

Someone saying "it is a fact that x is wrong and all the experts agree y is right" when in reality the experts are divided on whether x or y is correct is pretty much every conversation on the internet

the people who say x is right aren't experts because all experts know x is wrong

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

that could be the realest of real things but my first assumption from the phrase “I've been in direct communication with cold dark matter (CDM) and modified gravity (MOND) cosmologists for the last 20 weeks” will always be that this is an oh god this rear end in a top hat emailed me again?!! situation

my dad is an astronomer and said these guys would up in person in the 90s. email only is probably a godsend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
my father-in-law has taken up the collatz conjecture in his retirement

in an attempt to sideline him for awhile, i taught him to use latex

in his defense, he’s not trying to prove it himself, just help someone else to get real mathematicians looking at his preprint