Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just posting to help this trainwreck get to page 40.

Edit: Ok there, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mega64 posted:

I'm gonna close the thread because it's not gay enough.

is a token gesture by an abusive company co-opting LGBT iconography gay enough

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mutata posted:

Just posting to help this trainwreck get to page 40.

Edit: Ok there, done.

thank god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Splorange posted:

I'm sad this planet will melt before sexual orientation is mundane
nah it wont.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

thank god

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-11-lego-delays-overwatch-2-set-over-activision-blizzard-harassment-scandal

gi posted:

"We are currently reviewing our partnership with Activision Blizzard, given concerns about the progress being made to address continuing allegations regarding workplace culture, especially the treatment of female colleagues and creating a diverse and inclusive environment," a Lego statement said.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I don't know what's funnier: this, or Lego sets being made for a game that still doesn't have a release date.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I dunno if it's possible to verify but wasn't the suspicion that they announced that game way early to try to get positive press after one of the first waves of Activision culture news

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BisbyWorl posted:

I don't know what's funnier: this, or Lego sets being made for a game that still doesn't have a release date.

That is part of the reason they've cancelled the set. Mostly because Activission/Blizzard is loving awful, but also because no one knows when the gently caress the game is coming out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I dunno if it's possible to verify but wasn't the suspicion that they announced that game way early to try to get positive press after one of the first waves of Activision culture news

This is impossible to verify, like every other time this type of rumor gets started by people on Twitter.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its impossible to verify however if enough of us keep saying it it WILL become fact. lets goooooooooo!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's good to make uncharitable assumptions about terrible companies imo. they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kith posted:

is a token gesture by an abusive company co-opting LGBT iconography gay enough

Holy poo poo that's...hilariously pathetic/transparent. "Uh...uh..Rainbows, you'll forget and forgive everything if we plaster rainbows everywhere right?"

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It kind of looks like one of the tables at the “Inclusion Nexus” section of blizzcon. Which was a very cool and nice place to hang out.

…and it was tucked away on the top floor of the convention hall and ignored. :smith:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

mutata posted:

This is impossible to verify, like every other time this type of rumor gets started by people on Twitter.

Bobby told me it's true

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Weedle posted:

it's good to make uncharitable assumptions about terrible companies imo. they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt

Yes, absolutely

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Weedle posted:

Ah, ok, the thread is still like this. Message received! I'll go back to not reading it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mutata posted:

Ah, ok, the thread is still like this. Message received! I'll go back to not reading it.

it's not a good thread!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Stux posted:

its impossible to verify however if enough of us keep saying it it WILL become fact. lets goooooooooo!!

Seeing is how news in regards to OW2 has played out exactly as if they did drop it early as a distraction, I wouldn't say it is an uncharitable assumption

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as ive mentioned before every thread about women getting raped n poo poo turns into goons jacking themselves off to satiate their own egos because goons are freaks with an inability to feel empathy or process reality.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Honestly Diablo 4 is the bigger one there.

I could see them having expected to have OW2 out last year or this year as it's a very iterative sequel, before COVID and their massive talent bleed after the abuse allegations broke.

Diablo 4 they outright said was years away.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bentai posted:

It kind of looks like one of the tables at the “Inclusion Nexus” section of blizzcon. Which was a very cool and nice place to hang out.

…and it was tucked away on the top floor of the convention hall and ignored. :smith:

It was! That's my picture, I got a couple free rides to Blizzcon because of the stuff I did with Starcraft II.

Though in hindsight I feel significantly less cool about rubbing elbows with Blizzard people at the after-parties.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Weedle posted:

This thread is a lot more useful and interesting when it's a place where people post and discuss actual verifiable news instead of a screaming hate echo chamber of made up shitposts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is it that hard to just post about confirmable facts and how those facts inform the context of other facts, when the topic is this serious, yeah.

overwatch 2 being a bit of a boondoggle is a really minor footnote in terms of activision-blizzard and the rumor people are posting about doesnt entirely track with reality. its entirely possible it was progressing smoothly until all this stuff started coming out. people from the overwatch team have stated that their leads managed to keep them fairly protected from the shitshow that was the rest of blizzard. Its completely possible that with the drama unfolding and kaplan's departure at the start of 2021, the dams broke and they were unable to do their jobs anymore, and since they weren't used to it this led to a culture shock that completely stalled out overwatch 2. its also possible that due to the pressure activision was starting to be under, there was more pressure and interference that kaplan was unable to shield his team from, leading to his departure and the breakdown of development on ow2. both of these feel possible to me. both these things would also explain why the messaging on the game and their plans for it are so scrambled. if it was a desperate PR bid you'd think they'd be talking it up more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

However it is also not useful for constructive discussion.

I get that people are frustrated by this kind of thing but this isn't the "scream into the void about the companies you hate" thread. This thread is supposed to be about actually discussing news about the games industry and its various issues and dysfunctions. I've let it spiral into conjecture and outright conspiratorial stuff in the past but let's just nip this one in the bud right now, please.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

as ive mentioned before every thread about women getting raped n poo poo turns into goons jacking themselves off to satiate their own egos because goons are freaks with an inability to feel empathy or process reality.

yup

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kanos posted:

This thread is a lot more useful and interesting when it's a place where people post and discuss actual verifiable news instead of a screaming hate echo chamber of made up shitposts.

sorry i'll be sure to include primary sources next time

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I'm not sure drive-by "Thread Sux" posting in the thread about real heavy poo poo is any better

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it isnt drive-by posting its frustrated reactions to the direction discussion like this tends to go at the drop of a hat here from people affected by the stuff thats supposed to be being discussed who have been posting plenty in the thread about the subject matter and not about the thread itself since it opened

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Violen posted:

...its frustrated reactions to the direction discussion like this tends to go...

This is

Endorph posted:

is it that hard to just post about confirmable facts and how those facts inform the context of other facts, when the topic is this serious, yeah.

overwatch 2 being a bit of a boondoggle is a really minor footnote in terms of activision-blizzard and the rumor people are posting about doesnt entirely track with reality. its entirely possible it was progressing smoothly until all this stuff started coming out. people from the overwatch team have stated that their leads managed to keep them fairly protected from the shitshow that was the rest of blizzard. Its completely possible that with the drama unfolding and kaplan's departure at the start of 2021, the dams broke and they were unable to do their jobs anymore, and since they weren't used to it this led to a culture shock that completely stalled out overwatch 2. its also possible that due to the pressure activision was starting to be under, there was more pressure and interference that kaplan was unable to shield his team from, leading to his departure and the breakdown of development on ow2. both of these feel possible to me. both these things would also explain why the messaging on the game and their plans for it are so scrambled. if it was a desperate PR bid you'd think they'd be talking it up more.

This isn't

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it's not a good thread!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

can you possibly shut up and stoip making the thread about this stupid loving nonsense for two seconds

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1480961099239469057?s=20

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/razer-plays-a-dangerous-game-with-its-misleading-mask-marketing

although this was apparently known since before launching the mask, like the verge article back from October makes it clear that there is no actual certificate.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/21/22726468/razer-zephyr-face-mask-available-features-design-safety

ofc still a very lovely thing to market it deliberately misleading. but razer is a poo poo company so no real surprise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

can you possibly shut up and stoip making the thread about this stupid loving nonsense for two seconds

Im gonna start doing that stux but not because of spite i just wanna hang out

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-not-interested-in-virtue-shaming-activision-1848334067

As expected, the companies who announced that they were watching situations and reconsidering relationships are now going to have to admit they do not intend to do anything at all. However, this is a unique spin on that for sure.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This thread is supposed to be for games industry dysfunction news and discussion.

Please stick to it.

Do not snip/post at each other.
No speculations, or self congratulations, or rumour mongering.

This is supposed to be a more serious thread and does not need a lot of the posts we have seen recently:

Kanos posted:

This post puts it succinctly. From now on, only this please. Verifiable news and discussion on that news.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Splorange posted:

I'm constantly embarrassed by my fellow cissies comments on these issues.

Can I be an honorary gay? Is there like a test I can do or?

jesus loving christ

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Dongicus posted:

jesus loving christ

Two gay guys walk into a bar. The straight guy makes it all about himself.

Read the post above the quoted one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay we can stop posting about who posted cringe and who made fun of the cringe now.

This thread is for discussing actual news. If you don't have anything of value to post about that, just don't post. Any off-topic posts after this one are getting probated.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

30.5 Days posted:

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-not-interested-in-virtue-shaming-activision-1848334067

As expected, the companies who announced that they were watching situations and reconsidering relationships are now going to have to admit they do not intend to do anything at all. However, this is a unique spin on that for sure.

It's mostly disappointing because they couldn't even last long enough for everyone to forget about their "pooh pooh on you, activision" statements before revealing that they were lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I mean at this point any sort of accountability to regulators or the public isn't going to happen (in general, not just for ATVI) and lol if you think corporations are going to hold each other to account when by most accounts ATVI wasn't an outlier in terms of how bad the harassment and exploitation culture was, just an outlier in that they got caught