Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wrex Ruckus posted:

they've left the hallway

yeah now it's a tunnel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the open world is just really weird because it's still as empty as the corridors

i dunno i just really dislike the lack of exploration/discovery in this game. coming after 12 which had so much to do and so much to explore, it was a bummer

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

the open world is just really weird because it's still as empty as the corridors

i dunno i just really dislike the lack of exploration/discovery in this game. coming after 12 which had so much to do and so much to explore, it was a bummer

TBF XII TZA has more post-game content than a lot of games have in their entirety. The speedruns are also fun because the built in speedup and gambit system means a lot of it has the sort of furious pacing you never see in RPG runs.

I bounced hard off X because it felt like it was just endless corridors so I never even considered giving XIII a try

fake edit - lmao I forgot about that animation

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Love that Vanille's summon just turns into a giant gently caress-off gun platform

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The 7th Guest posted:

There's a ton of stuff to discover on Pulse in a casual playthrough. It's not empty at all.

Also the old RPG brain thing that all RPGs have to have huge open maps is weird. The Half Life games are almost universally agreed upon as top tier games and one of the reasons is because the linearity creates a tight flowing narrative and FF13 does the same thing.

Also I hate having to spend hours wandering around every town in every RPG talking to every idiot rando to get hints on where to go and what to do. Pointing me in the right direction and giving me a wide variety of enemies to fight is awesome and more games should do it. FF13-2 was awful because there were only two playable characters, towns for the sake of having towns, an annoying moogle mascot, and awful music. Just the polar opposite of what made FF13 awesome.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this. halflife is one of the BIGGESt rpgs of all time and doesnt do it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Half-Life is many things, but an RPG is not one of them.

Regardless, I think one of the reasons FF13 is so disliked for its linearity is because the game rubs your nose in it. The minimap completely removes any concept of there being anything outside of the linear corridors available to you in most of the game. People are willing to accept illusions in place of the real thing in many cases, but FF13 doesn't even bother with illusions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah the half life rpg series is great

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The host singing donations rules

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo you idiots I didn't say Half Life was an RPG what is wrong with you

I said it's considered a good game partly because of the linearity and tightly controlled narrative and FF13 also has that which is one of the many things that make it great

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's a ton of stuff to discover on Pulse in a casual playthrough. It's not empty at all.

Also the old RPG brain thing that all RPGs have to have huge open maps is weird. The Half Life games are almost universally agreed upon as top tier games and one of the reasons is because the linearity creates a tight flowing narrative and FF13 does the same thing.

Also I hate having to spend hours wandering around every town in every RPG talking to every idiot rando to get hints on where to go and what to do. Pointing me in the right direction and giving me a wide variety of enemies to fight is awesome and more games should do it. FF13-2 was awful because there were only two playable characters, towns for the sake of having towns, an annoying moogle mascot, and awful music. Just the polar opposite of what made FF13 awesome.

Final Fantasy 13-2 FTW

rox
Sep 7, 2016

weve been played for absolute fools

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

crates are just treasure chests if you think about it

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I have no idea how FF13's combat is supposed to work, I mean I can recognize some core FF mechanical tropes but the specifics of the game don't really click with me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't imagine why people might have different expectations for fps games vs rpgs, they're both the same thing right. also every corridor in the half life games looked better than ff13 from what I've seen so far

thread relevant, other than the combat seeming kinda interesting this game looks like it sucks rear end

site fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 11, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Holy poo poo you idiots I didn't say Half Life was an RPG what is wrong with you

you did

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I declare Stux the winner of this argument.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

"old RPG brain"? jrpgs now, as in releasing now, have exploration and open areas. it's not an old-school thing lol

i enjoy JRPGs of all kinds, from Etrian to FF to Dragon Quest to SMT to indies like Zeboyd games. I'm aware that different JRPGs have different visions. FF13's narrative did nothing for me, so funneling me through it was not super engaging. like, I enjoy walking simulators, so it's not like I am incapable of enjoying the RPG equivalent of that, but I thought a lot of FF13's story was dumb and the characters annoying

but it doesn't have to be either/or, like there are linear top-down JRPGs from the 16-bit era that still have exploration and mazey dungeons while keeping you on a main path

e: the run doesn't present the game in the greatest light because so much of it is avoiding encounters so the majority of the run is watching someone jog haha. i mean that is a lot of the game but the frequent battles mask that a bit. personally I like FF13-3 the most because it has a lot more going on, the open areas aren't too big, and the towns are very purposefully designed for the time-based nature of the game, i feel like it executes its vision better than 13-1 or 13-2

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 11, 2022

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I said it's considered a good game partly because of the linearity and tightly controlled narrative and FF13 also has that which is one of the many things that make it great

I'm going to cast Resonance Cascade on you.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Donnerberg posted:

I declare Stux the winner of this argument.

I told Stux to suck my cock and then they did so who is really the winner here when you think about it? :smuggo:

Also this announcer is seriously up their own rear end in a top hat with their mediocre rear end voice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Legin Noslen posted:

I told Stux to suck my cock and then they did so who is really the winner here when you think about it? :smuggo:

Also this announcer is seriously up their own rear end in a top hat with their mediocre rear end voice
:chloe:

rox
Sep 7, 2016

you sound like a fun person

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Legin Noslen posted:

NOT this.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Every part of this post sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will at least say that i did make it all the way to the final boss of 13 so it was certainly not the worst JRPG i've ever played, as i generally drop games I intensely dislike. the final boss though.. gently caress the final boss lol

my least favorite JRPG will always be xenosaga pt 2 because it was so boring, slow and painful that it made me question whether I actually liked JRPGs (until P3: FES came out and ruled). FF13 didn't give me that existential retrospection, just more made me feel like maybe i wasted my time.

e: oh the final boss is here already, it'll be satisfying to see it wrecked

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 11, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I went and gave 6 units of blood and this thing is still happening

(No complaints really, long runs should be scheduled during the workday EST. I'm looking forward to the Crystal Randomizer tomorrow.)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The 7th Guest posted:

i will at least say that i did make it all the way to the final boss of 13 so it was certainly not the worst JRPG i've ever played, as i generally drop games I intensely dislike. the final boss though.. gently caress the final boss lol

my least favorite JRPG will always be xenosaga pt 2 because it was so boring, slow and painful that it made me question whether I actually liked JRPGs (until P3: FES came out and ruled)

Here's a fun secret about the final boss of FF13 that makes its first form very very easy unlike every boss in every rpg ever, it can be poisoned lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

elf help book posted:

Here's a fun secret about the final boss of FF13 that makes its first form very very easy unlike every boss in every rpg ever, it can be poisoned lol
that's pretty funny. the second form was the one that gave me trouble though. i feel like i spent 4-5 hours trying to beat the final boss before switching to another game. i wasn't using a guide though, i probably should've looked up some strats.

e: also the timer of the third form gave me trouble and i was just putting so much time into the whole final boss, retrying and retrying, that i needed to stop

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 11, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The last optional boss in FFXIII is still one of the most fun JRPG fights I can remember.

The big key to FFXIII's battle system is to think of the roles as sorta like giving your characters orders, rather than as jobs. Like Medic isn't White Mage, Medic is telling that character to focus on healing until you change paradigms. If you think of switch paradigms like giving battle orders, and start doing it really quickly on the fly to react to situations, it all clicks into place.

The reason it's more fun later is that the endgame and postgame bosses start expecting you to switch paradigms really quickly and reactively, especially the last one, to defend from things or heal up or take advantage of brief damage windows, things like that. It's a blast.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Legin Noslen posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this did not happen sir

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The last few FFXIII fights made me think of Star Renegades. It has the same focus on stagger to avoid wipes, and same high stakes energy. It wouldn't surprise me if XIII was their inspiration.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

oh boy i love nier automata :neckbeard:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Wait. We missed an incentive? It's pretty rare that that happens. Hope we don't miss out on FF7R:I

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

The last few FFXIII fights made me think of Star Renegades. It has the same focus on stagger to avoid wipes, and same high stakes energy. It wouldn't surprise me if XIII was their inspiration.

I hadn't heard of Star Renegades before but this post made me immediately very curious about it

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Wait. We missed an incentive? It's pretty rare that that happens. Hope we don't miss out on FF7R:I

Given that it's the long run of the event and that not many people genuinely like FF13, I can see why the incentive wasn't met. FF7R, on the other hand, shouldn't have much of a problem getting incentives met, especially if it's to play Intermission.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cernunnos posted:

$65,023.83 out of $80,000.00 for a blindfolded FFXIII boss fight.

FF7R run is at $57k of $100k. They'll make it. (It's a ways away, it's more high profile than a boss fight in a game that had already been going for 5 hours, and you know Fangamer and/or Yetee will make a donation to bump it up.)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

French Accent posted:

Given that it's the long run of the event and that not many people genuinely like FF13, I can see why the incentive wasn't met. FF7R, on the other hand, shouldn't have much of a problem getting incentives met, especially if it's to play Intermission.

lots of people like it. just not the people who post here aka "the moron patrol"

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Gave up on crane-skip-skip-SKIP and fell back to crane-skip-skip

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Harrow posted:

I hadn't heard of Star Renegades before but this post made me immediately very curious about it

Cool! I'm happy to have introduced someone to it. It's a unique and fun little game. A run-based roguelike with meta-progression and JRPG encounters where the stagger mechanic is crucial to survive. It tries to do the Nemesis System too, but that part isn't fleshed out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I love Nier Automata, watching this makes me want to replay it again. Ridiculous movement by these runners!