Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

hackintosh might be an option if you can't afford apple hardware

even the most grognard turbonerd build-everything-from-source linux distros are still 100x easier to get working, less likely to break on upgrades and more likely to have working graphics and sound than a hackintosh

and even if you get gpu drivers and sound working, it will break on an upgrade at some point. just get a mac mini if you want a desktop mac, hackintoshing isn't worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

sb hermit posted:

On a stock ubuntu 20.04 system, I have to spend zero time in uninstalling start menu ads for games, streaming services, and office software.
The version number is doing some heavy lifting there

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

im getting a little bored of using linux as my main and think i might get a better handle on organizing myself and research (pdf library especially) on a mac, which I used 2007-2012 and mostly enjoyed but couldn’t afford to keep using. things just don’t work as smoothly for managing content as opposed to files, and my iPhone isn’t well supported (not counting kde / gnome connect). so I have a few reasons that seem sensible to me.

windows isn’t appreciably better in terms of integration and it’s full of adware.

anyone here move away from Linux on the desktop for similar reasons?

I just use a bunch of text files backed up with mercurual and I use grep to search through them.

I used to use tomboy and it's not terrible but definitely not as polished as iphone apps. I switched away from it because syncing and migrating data that doesn't rely on an app to view things is better for my workflow.

MacOS is more SMB/CIFS friendly now (compared to early 2010s) and pretty much deprecated appletalk so maybe you can consider using a mac mini paired with a cheap NAS with fast disks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

do you think a fresh modern windows 10 install doesn't have any ads whatsoever?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

sshhhhmokin

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

mawarannahr posted:

im getting a little bored of using linux as my main and think i might get a better handle on organizing myself and research (pdf library especially) on a mac, which I used 2007-2012 and mostly enjoyed but couldn’t afford to keep using. things just don’t work as smoothly for managing content as opposed to files, and my iPhone isn’t well supported (not counting kde / gnome connect). so I have a few reasons that seem sensible to me.

windows isn’t appreciably better in terms of integration and it’s full of adware.

i have mendeley desktop installed on my main laptop running kubuntu 21.10 but i keep forgetting to add papers to it, let alone with appropriate tags and metadata, i am slightly skeptical that i will start remembering to do this if i were to switch to a mac

which i considered recently too, despite using linux exclusively for the last ~18 years except for a throwaway windows installation to play older games before steam proton emulation became good enough for many things i was interested in

i would enjoy things like having a desktop browser from which i can use apple pay, and unlocking the machine with my apple watch, and imessage and sms from the desktop, but i have a ton of momentum with linux and those are minor beneifts compared to how disruptive it would be, and i have a robust easy backup solution for my home laptop, home desktop, and work desktop, from which time machine would be a big step backward

i still write a decent amount of analysis code that i wrap in docker images to run at scale and that would also be much more painful with switching to a mac with apple chip

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

neat

i noticed after a while that the sound was mono only. figured it was a linux problem so i started googling and troubleshooting. why is the sound mono when pactl says it's using a2dp!!! oh one of the speaker wires fell out because i didn't screw down the binding post enough

high five linux audio buddy, you reminded me of pulling my hair out a few years ago over something similar:

Lysidas posted:

i spent 5-ish minutes troubleshooting the lack of sound on my desktop machine, running kubuntu 18.04

the sound device i wanted, normal stero analog audio, did not exist, but i saw the ones for hdmi audio to my monitor, etc., and nothing i did helped: rebooting, deleting pulse audio configuration, temporary rollback to a previous btrfs snapshot when i knew i had working sound, same behavior

then i checked and saw that the speakers were unplugged

plugged in the 3.5mm audio cable, kde/plasma5 multimedia manager said something like "switching to new audio device: built-in audio analog stereo" :doh:

linux audio: good
me outsmarting myself before checking the goddamn cable: bad

(though i really was unaware that the audio device would disappear from plasma5 when no line out cable plugged in, that didnt happen in previous versions)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

sb hermit posted:

do you think a fresh modern windows 10 install doesn't have any ads whatsoever?

Use Windows 10 LTSC, it comes without all the crap

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Kubuntu 20.04 is the closest I’ve gotten to “works and is good out of the box” in the last five years. last time before that might have been win7 or OS X lion

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I just appreciate the work of KDE e.V.

Nate is writing a weekly blog around stuff they are doing on Plasma and there's usually some stuff in there that I look forward to: https://pointieststick.com/2022/01/07/this-week-in-kde-better-mtp-support/

Like:

quote:

Task Manager tooltips for windows that are playing audio now show a volume slider under the playback controls

Yeah, that makes perfect sense to have.

quote:

Konsole now lets you open the current directory or any other folder you right-click on in any app, not just the file manager

Hold on, you could do that?!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rufus Ping posted:

Use Windows 10 LTSC, it comes without all the crap

only if it comes free with whatever windows license my computer comes with (likely windows 10 home)

otherwise, it's on someone else's dime (like my parents, and they sure as hell aren't going to pay for it) or I'll just install Linux

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

Apparently, Chrome OS used Gentoo as a base. Kinda makes sense. I guess Gentoo-derived linux distributions are far more prevalent than I had expected.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“you know, this linux poo poo is kind of a pain, maybe I should just buy a mac” is one of the most sensible things I’ve read in yospos

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021

Mr. Crow posted:

You literally cannot search for installed applications in the start menu without getting bing ads (also it doesn't even find your application)

gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search

- Do not allow web search
- Don't search the web or display web results in Search

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

“you know, this linux poo poo is kind of a pain, maybe I should just buy a mac” is one of the most sensible things I’ve read in yospos

don’t worry, I’ll still keep using that garbage every day remotely. but I did pull the trigger on an M1 mini, seems a worthwhile expenditure considering I’ve thought about it for year and computer are my sole source of income. thanks all

also this is America, can I write this off on taxes?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

even the most grognard turbonerd build-everything-from-source linux distros are still 100x easier to get working, less likely to break on upgrades and more likely to have working graphics and sound than a hackintosh

and even if you get gpu drivers and sound working, it will break on an upgrade at some point. just get a mac mini if you want a desktop mac, hackintoshing isn't worth it

when I did hackintosh it was dead simple and just worked. then apple stopped signing nvidia drivers and now gpu support is only on par with fedora

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I stopped worrying about hackintosh because wsl works just as well for Unix software without the awfulness of desktop linux

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
yeah apple murdering nvidia drivers murdered a lot of the allure of hackintoshes for me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

yeah apple murdering nvidia drivers murdered a lot of the allure of hackintoshes for me

imagine buying an amd gpu. lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

akadajet posted:

imagine buying a gpu. lol

ftfy

:negative:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The_Franz posted:

also: i'm not one of those doomers who thinks apple's going to yank support for x86 macs from macos just one or two years from now, but what has already happened is that apple ain't shipping a driver for a new generation of intel cpu or chipset or amd gpu ever again

that means it's going to get significantly harder to build a deece hackintosh over the next few years as supplies of the components which work best dry up

(for those who have never tried hackintosh, best practice is to purchase from a narrow set of components known to work reasonably well, and all the knowledge about this and how to install poo poo is scattered across hackintosher message boards filled with petty nerds, so good luck)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i use a amd rdna2 gpu under linux to play games under proton and it works fine for me op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BobHoward posted:

(for those who have never tried hackintosh, best practice is to purchase from a narrow set of components known to work reasonably well, and all the knowledge about this and how to install poo poo is scattered across hackintosher message boards filled with petty nerds, so good luck)

this sounds too complicated to maintain as a daily driver

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

when I did hackintosh it was dead simple and just worked. then apple stopped signing nvidia drivers and now gpu support is only on par with fedora

I've hackintoshed on and off over the years, and even if things worked well with minimal fuss at first, every update was a roll of the dice as to whether or not it would break something. All the jokes people make about linux audio are 100% true with hackintoshes

and fedora has the official Nvidia drivers in a repo enabled with one click, so they are automatically updated without having to janitor anything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

got me one of them amd laptops so I can amd while I amd on my amd

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

sb hermit posted:

only if it comes free with whatever windows license my computer comes with (likely windows 10 home)

otherwise, it's on someone else's dime (like my parents, and they sure as hell aren't going to pay for it) or I'll just install Linux

home licences dont work for ltsc but you can just use kms38 or whatever :filez: e-z

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rufus Ping posted:

home licences dont work for ltsc but you can just use kms38 or whatever :filez: e-z

guess I'll stick to ads or switch to linux

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

sb hermit posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

Apparently, Chrome OS used Gentoo as a base. Kinda makes sense. I guess Gentoo-derived linux distributions are far more prevalent than I had expected.

I'm ok with chrome os discussion being cordoned off to the lame rear end gentoo thread

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 12, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mawarannahr posted:

sb hermit posted:

I just use a bunch of text files backed up with mercurual and I use grep to search through them.

I used to use tomboy and it's not terrible but definitely not as polished as iphone apps. I switched away from it because syncing and migrating data that doesn't rely on an app to view things is better for my workflow.

you probably want to look at self-hosted cross-platform apps for note and content management, rather than linux desktop stuff, even if you're only going to use that app from your linux pc

because it's 2021 so people actually want to check their notes and treasure maps and poo poo from their phones, so that's where the developers put effort in

check out standard notes, bookstack, joplin, tiddlywiki, turtl. one of them is gonna be needs-suiting

i use joplin personally, the ui is meh but it integrates well with pretty much everything

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

while we're at it

[GIT PULL] Btrfs updates for 5.17

some send work, some perf improvements, more zoned support, bugfixes

RokosCockatrice posted:

I'm ok with chrome os discussion being cordoned off to the lame rear end gentoo thread

where's this lame rear end gentoo thread

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

wish you’d USE good_posting tbh

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/good_posting

404 :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Makes you think

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i like tankakern's posts

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like tankakern's posts that aren't btrfs changelogs, btrfs/gentoo evangelism or criticism of other filesystems... wait...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

matti posted:

i like tankakern's posts

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i appreciate someone around who i can drop incredibly obvious bait in front of like "btrfs eats data lol nom nom nom" and rely on them picking it up

does raid 5 work yet btw

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hackintosh is extremely embarrassing even by the standards of linux enthusiasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i appreciate someone around who i can drop incredibly obvious bait in front of like "btrfs eats data lol nom nom nom" and rely on them picking it up

does raid 5 work yet btw

write into my raid hole daddy