Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

What is the threshold where, in accusing someone else of being a nazi, the accuser shows such an encyclopedic knowledge of wildly obscure fascist figures/iconography that they become suspicious themselves? It becomes kind of a "wait, why did you already have that on your hard drive" situation.

threshold depends on the context, doesn't it? hey, maybe he's a professor of history specializing in german politics from 1918 to 1939, that would be an innocent explanation, right?

oh what's that? his twitter bio is full of poo poo like "co-creator of neutronic pepes. resident of kekistan. libertarian."? hm. ah. right, then. totally normal situation, definitely nothing like that time oj simpson got a book deal to explain how he would have done that murder that he definitely didn't do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
to fight the nazis you must live as the nazis, love as the nazis, and die as the nazis

drk
Jan 16, 2005

qirex posted:

what’s that ancient web comic, “look how much I can poo poo myself ironically”

you've described the entire known universe of web comics

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

to fight the nazis you must live as the nazis, love as the nazis, and die as the nazis
ppj re-reg spotted

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Blotto_Otter posted:

threshold depends on the context, doesn't it? hey, maybe he's a professor of history specializing in german politics from 1918 to 1939, that would be an innocent explanation, right?

oh what's that? his twitter bio is full of poo poo like "co-creator of neutronic pepes. resident of kekistan. libertarian."? hm. ah. right, then. totally normal situation, definitely nothing like that time oj simpson got a book deal to explain how he would have done that murder that he definitely didn't do

"if it was racist", a 309 page book about pepes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shumagorath posted:

ppj re-reg spotted

i was about to say

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

infernal machines posted:

BAYC may be the direct reincarnation of the wafen ss but i wouldn't take their word for it

I’m not current on my racism…are the Romans or Roman Empire white supremacy too? If so, has it always been, or is this a more relatively recent thing?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah "SPQR" and the roman empire are quite popular among the more mandibular-ly challenged pale folk these days

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Paladinus posted:

Lol that there was a nazi guy called Mohnke.

“Hey, hey we’re the Nazis, and people say we Mohnke around.
But we’re not too busy heiling,
to keep oppressing people of color and Jews and lgbt folk!”

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
it's a couple things. there's a kind of extremely online neofash that's "out" enough to sport an undercut, but they still talk in dogwhistles, and for those guys rome is part of "western cauvinism" or whatever

and then for the reichsadler tattoo crowd rome is part of the whole third reich mythology--the idea that hitler and nazi germany were the direct descendents of the roman empire through charlemagne/the hre (1st reich) and bismark/the kaiserreich (2nd reich)

i don't think rome or roman history in general is as polluted by the association as, like, pepe is, but rome is absolutely one of the things that figures in the personal mythology of a lot of neofash types

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

also bash imo the fash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my impression is there's a lot of freely borrowed iconography that's just sort of mixed and matched as they see fit, they're not especially concerned with a rigorous historical understanding of any of it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

i mean yeah. lol at the idea of intentionally identifying yourself with the loving hre

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SubG posted:

it's a couple things. there's a kind of extremely online neofash that's "out" enough to sport an undercut, but they still talk in dogwhistles, and for those guys rome is part of "western cauvinism" or whatever

and then for the reichsadler tattoo crowd rome is part of the whole third reich mythology--the idea that hitler and nazi germany were the direct descendents of the roman empire through charlemagne/the hre (1st reich) and bismark/the kaiserreich (2nd reich)

i don't think rome or roman history in general is as polluted by the association as, like, pepe is, but rome is absolutely one of the things that figures in the personal mythology of a lot of neofash types

Ok…I just guess I never really paid enough attention. I was aware of where the “third” in “Third Reich” alluded to, just because I grew up in the day when the History Channel showed history. I didn’t know John Belushi in Animal House was a fascist, though; that was new.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does making fun of germany adopting an obsolete-on-introduction revolver that didn't even have an ejector rod on the gun so you had to literally use a separate stick to fire it more than 6 times count as fash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEyZD7oGFg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah "SPQR" and the roman empire are quite popular among the more mandibular-ly challenged pale folk these days
which is extra stupid if you know anything about history since there were probably 1,000x more North Africans and middle eastern folks in ancient rome than what we’d consider white people today

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
why can't the romans be white when jesus is white

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

which is extra stupid if you know anything about history since there were probably 1,000x more North Africans and middle eastern folks in ancient rome than what we’d consider white people today

in the cRyPtO tv ad blasting across every american televised sporting event the ad copy has wahlberg go out of his way to say 'since the time of the romans :smug: '

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

qirex posted:

Don’t forget “racism” against Italians and (my personal favorite!) the loving Irish. Nobody is loving whiter than Irish folk, and that isn’t even considering the gingers.

South/central Americans with Spanish (which is European) heritage will be “white” in a decade even if the border shut down all immigration 100% effectively tomorrow. There are tons of “white-looking” blonde/blue-eyed folks speaking Spanglish on Univision already.

The whole continent-and-a-half is conservative Christian too…they were converted much faster than the Roman Empire was, too (yes, on pain of death, I realize).

Americans see every shade of light complexion as white-by-default if the person is “assimilated” (dressed ‘normal’ and speaking unaccented English), even including second-generation immigrant kids. It was true even as far back as the late 80s/early 90s when I was in high school, and my son’s generation doesn’t even seem to pay attention to it anymore (thank the Lord).

Thank you for coming to my Wendy’s Drive-Thru window.
:goonsay:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

why can't the romans be white when jesus is white

the last time I got a jehova's witness pamphlet forced on me i saw in all their drawings they'd giving jesus a shave and a hair cut, i guess the old look was too hippy for them

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Would the old testament god approve of NFTs? Discuss.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

patch notes: commandment 2.51: no ungraven images either

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
at the very least, NFTs are indulgences

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pepe indulgences

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EorayMel posted:

Would the old testament god approve of NFTs? Discuss.
I guess the JSON object pointing to a graven image would be in line with modern shabbat rules lawyering

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

qirex posted:

the original fascists were Italians, and they took their name from the fasces (bundles of sticks for bashing people with, with an axe thrown in for beheadings) carried by the lictores, the bodyguards of certain public officials.

you know, those things beside the flag

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in ancient rome you could board a boat in ostia and be in egypt in a week or carthage in a couple days vs traveling on foot or horse for a month over the whole rear end alps to get to gaul or germania

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Zopotantor posted:

the original fascists were Italians, and they took their name from the fasces (bundles of sticks for bashing people with, with an axe thrown in for beheadings) carried by the lictores, the bodyguards of certain public officials.

you know, those things beside the flag

I'd be more concerned about getting the poo poo beaten out of me with the chairs :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah hitler really loved the mythos of him (and big daddy mussolini) being the true successors to the ancient romans. meanwhile the actual ancient romans thought the people of what would become modern-day germany were all a bunch of cultureless barbarians so lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i know a lot about hitler and nazis but it's mostly facts about specific ways they're pathetic and stupid. for example, hitler idolized mussolini and at times said he was his only friend and the only person who understood him, while in private mussolini was pretty much saying poo poo like "yeah uh this hitler guy's a real loser with some stupid-rear end ideas but we need germany's military support" to his advisers

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

i know a lot about hitler and nazis but it's mostly facts about specific ways they're pathetic and stupid. for example, hitler idolized mussolini and at times said he was his only friend and the only person who understood him, while in private mussolini was pretty much saying poo poo like "yeah uh this hitler guy's a real loser with some stupid-rear end ideas but we need germany's military support" to his advisers

Hitler fed deer.

Says it all really.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

wow i can't believe anything featuring deer is also coded nazi stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boxturret posted:

also vegetarianism

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

we're onto you, bambi.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

Nara? More like Nazi!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cease, then decease and then listen/scams are back with a brand new invention

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m not current on my racism…are the Romans or Roman Empire white supremacy too? If so, has it always been, or is this a more relatively recent thing?

ok looks like some education on history is needed here. as we know, Caesar's legion[1] was one of two dominant forces vying for control......
(continues for thousands of words)
.....and therefore we can conclusively say that super mutants are fundamentally inferior [1000] to the Roman empire.

[1] ref Fallout: New Vegas, obsidian games.
[1000] super mutants raus: a manifesto, MutantStomper58

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

Panzerdeeren