Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

edit: wait, smoka, why do you think you've got the breakers for an entire side of the building? I feel like I missed that part

my zone valve hosed up so my heat was stuck on max, and the repair dudes focused around my apartment because they couldn't find the short. the west side of the building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my zone valve hosed up so my heat was stuck on max, and the repair dudes focused around my apartment because they couldn't find the short. the west side of the building

idk poo poo about heating or electricity or whatever but I dont think thats evidence that you have the breaker for your entire wing, your breaker seems like normal sized for a 1bdrm place i'd guess? certainly not enough for a whole bunch of apartments.

maybe the thermostat line goes through your place or something? idk.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Stab-Lok is when you flex really hard so the attacker can't pull the knife out. Now who's got a knife, smart guy!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

idk poo poo about heating or electricity or whatever but I dont think thats evidence that you have the breaker for your entire wing, your breaker seems like normal sized for a 1bdrm place i'd guess? certainly not enough for a whole bunch of apartments.

maybe the thermostat line goes through your place or something? idk.

I've posted the literal cables and the literal fuse box so I'm not sure what you're sceptical about

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

CPColin posted:

Stab-Lok is when you flex really hard so the attacker can't pull the knife out. Now who's got a knife, smart guy!

lmao

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

been wanting to get an induction heater for my dynavap but im not enough of a moron to spend $200 USD on one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've posted the literal cables and the literal fuse box so I'm not sure what you're sceptical about

they don't look like either cables or a breaker box for more than a single apartment.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cinci romex doesn't need to be in conduit under most circumstances. labeling wires sounds cool but i've never heard of it. agreed on not leaving poo poo hangin out for smoka to gently caress with (though idk that itd be a code violation), and i can't comment on securing romex to studs and stuff bc i have no idea what code is on that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I just went and took this picture of the first floor

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yes I live there

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it was a big pipe break incident

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in the states they probably would've just let the water damage grow mold. i know it doesn't feel like it, but them fixing poo poo is evidence of things being good, not things being bad

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jesus

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

woaj your building's made out of cotton candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I've been acting out in yospos that it's bad

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in one of my apartments they wouldn't turn on the heat for the building and it was like december (and whatever the cutoff was for turning on heat happened in iirc october). i was so cold

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my friend gave me his old iPhone so I can take pictures of it now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's super fuckednup lookin g though and makes me itchy just thinking about walking down that fuckin hallway

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I posted the tire fire and the giant human poo poo so lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it was a big pipe break incident

yeah i mean like you gotta take all the drywall out, otherwise itll mold. poo poo sucks but at least they're not just wallpapering over it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

makes me itchy just thinking about walking down that fuckin hallway

I'm gangsta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1mKGlYL9jg

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Those wiring photos looks fine. Wiring’s good and from the looks of it that’s just a subpanel for your unit. The wiring is sound and stapled to the studs where they should be and the spots where they’re threaded through the floor joists are fine. It’s all standard romex, nothing old or fancy, The labels in the directoire match the occupied slots so unless you’ve done some rewiring goofing with the breakers won’t do anything other than shut off plugs around the place.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah i mean like you gotta take all the drywall out, otherwise itll mold. poo poo sucks but at least they're not just wallpapering over it.

at my old apartment the dude across the hall flooded his entire place under like an inch of water and it stood there for a whole weekend. The landlords response was to just put new flooring over the old. Didn't even pull the old poo poo up, treated it like it was a subfloor.

I'll never understand landlords that dont fix their poo poo right. I know you dont care about ME but its wild you also dont care about your massive capital investment.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

cinci romex doesn't need to be in conduit under most circumstances. labeling wires sounds cool but i've never heard of it. agreed on not leaving poo poo hangin out for smoka to gently caress with (though idk that itd be a code violation), and i can't comment on securing romex to studs and stuff bc i have no idea what code is on that

IIRC in Chicago it all has to be in conduit because they have extra rules tacked onto the NEC. I mean just about every city has their rules but in Chicago they love conduit because it was a local industry or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

in one of my apartments they wouldn't turn on the heat for the building and it was like december (and whatever the cutoff was for turning on heat happened in iirc october). i was so cold

my college dorm saw 90% of people leave for winter holidays (like December 17 until January 11). my dorm admin was so cheap they would turn off heating for the entire time. i remember sleeping in my bed in winter clothes one year - like two pairs of pants, gloves, sweater over two shirts, all while having a proper winter comforter etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

on the other hand, my college dorm rent was $40/month including utilities

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

I'll never understand landlords that dont fix their poo poo right. I know you dont care about ME but its wild you also dont care about your massive capital investment.

well you see it's going to appreciate in value anyway because demand exceeds supply #bayarea

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0TAsEjUpg

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

well you see it's going to appreciate in value anyway because demand exceeds supply #bayarea

in the bay area i guess i can see it but this was eureka, ca and let me assure you there was very little demand

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My rent controlled place in SF was very well maintained by the giant faceless holding corporation that owned it. Even did a full building reno while I lived there, turned out great.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sounds like you won the loving lottery

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my friend gave me his old iPhone so I can take pictures of it now

don't listen to these naysayers, take the panel cover off, the panel itself is grounded so you are fine, just don't touch anything INSIDE

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

also fyi that hallway looks fine. that is what a hallway looks like when you don't have drywall on it. but i can see they have all the drywall panels at the back there ready to go

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sounds like you won the loving lottery

Pretty much. Also allowed large dog breeds (which is why I got it, I’ve got a border collie mix) so plenty of pups around and was in the inner sunset which is a great little slice of the city. Block away from the train, different block away from the bus. Looking forward to visiting again someday. I imagine it’s even nicer when on vacation, knowing I can just up leave whenever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

best thing about visiting San francisco is the certain knowledge that you get to leave. second best thing is leaving. third best thing is the time you spend asleep in San Francisco. those are all the good things about visiting San Francisco

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

don't listen to these naysayers, take the panel cover off, the panel itself is grounded so you are fine, just don't touch anything INSIDE

I'm gonna open it up and chew it, ride the lightning

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

IIRC in Chicago it all has to be in conduit because they have extra rules tacked onto the NEC. I mean just about every city has their rules but in Chicago they love conduit because it was a local industry or something

lol yeah but most circumstances includes not in chicago!

i have literally no idea what california or my area adds onto the NEC, everything i know is NEC crap plus the chicago conduit tidbit. but only that cause i read a blog or reddit or something post from a chicago electrician a few months ago lol, i have no idea what it requires beyond "lol chicago loves conduit"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nomnom Cookie posted:

best thing about visiting San francisco is the certain knowledge that you get to leave. second best thing is leaving. third best thing is the time you spend asleep in San Francisco. those are all the good things about visiting San Francisco

most of the places away from skid row, the tenderloin are good

the trouble is that the tenderloin is right at the heart of the city and directly at the tourist zones lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvqn5xDnGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cool people just call it The TL