Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the wicks my humidifier uses are sold out everywhere even on amazon so after a half hour of digging i was able to find some on menards. thanks, menards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the wicks my humidifier uses are sold out everywhere even on amazon so after a half hour of digging i was able to find some on menards. thanks, menards
Maynard's emporium of capitalism

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a whole house humidifier attached to the furnace. A previous home owner turned it up to max and it ruined the paint in my attic. That's my humidifier story.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

am i mixing up "humid" with something else or are you all creeps who like feeling like you're breathing jello

Apr 7, 2003

hbag posted:

am i mixing up "humid" with something else or are you all creeps who like feeling like you're breathing jello

humidifier runs return air through a perforated aluminum panel with water running through it. Previous owner turned it up to max so the water never stopped running. I didn't think to check it so it ran like that for weeks before I went up to the attic and noticed condensation on all the walls. good stuff.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mystes posted:

I think you're good to need mormony than that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hbag posted:

in the winter the air gets so dry here that people regularly get nose bleeds so you need something constantly blasting moisture into the air just to keep it at what would be considered the bare minimum for comfort

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

The air is really dry in the winter if you just heat it up. You can ideally use a humidifier without turning the whole house into a jungle.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
they are good when its really dry in the winter

Apr 7, 2003

You can also use a hot water heating system to avoid the dryness issue, but they aren't compatible with air conditioning so no one installs them here anymore.

I sorta miss hot water heat.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
do you guys mean dehumiddifiers or wtf

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

dehumidifiers are for basements in the summer

Apr 7, 2003

humidifiers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You can also use a hot water heating system to avoid the dryness issue, but they aren't compatible with air conditioning so no one installs them here anymore.

I sorta miss hot water heat.
Do you mean steam? I didn't think hot water would help with humidity

With steam you can have the radiators let some steam out but it sucks in other ways (e.g. it can be insanely noisy from the pipes creaking)

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

With steam you can have the radiators let some steam out but it sucks in other ways (e.g. it can be insanely noisy from the pipes creaking)

They call it hot water heat here

and forced air heat exacerbates the dryness problem, even if you don't have your radiators set to let a little steam out they aren't drying the air out through the heat process.

Every house I've ever lived in except this one had hot water heat and I miss it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

no he means homes in the northeast used to have forced hot air heating, which works but the air in your house gets incredibly dry and it sucks. so you put in a humidifier to bring the humidity back up to livable range.

then later people started using hot water baseboard heating, basically a bunch of hot water pipes running along the floor. theres no steam. it just radiates heat from the hot water using a water boiler. it doesnt add humidity but it doesnt dry out the air like forced hot air

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steam and hot water are too different things (normally; i don't know about the nomenclature in pittsburgh)

In NYC for example most of the older apartment buildings use actual steam. It's noisy as gently caress and the radiators can release some steam into the room.

In older houses in a lot of places in New England it's common to use hot water (not steam).

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 12, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

do you guys mean dehumiddifiers or wtf

you’re supposed to know physics

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i basically leavea dehumidifier running 24/7 becasue london lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we used to have an old 1950s giant humidifier, it was the size of a chest freezer. i'd have to pour water into the tank every morning and night. i also used to sit over the hot air vents in the winter and my shirt would inflate with hot air and i'd love it

i remember when my parents upgraded the heating to hot water baseboard heating and the house felt nicer. no more nosebleeds and we tossed the humidifier

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this cursed island has poisoned my brain. i forgot it was possible to have dry air

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

You call steam hot water in Pittsburgh? Normally hot water refers to a system where the water isn't hot enough to turn into steam so it can't be released by the radiators and I guess it's basically heated the same way as the hot water for the house.

I'm not sure if it's as efficient but it's quieter and the radiators don't get as hot for better or worse.

in maine we called it "hot water baseboard" heating. never heard anyone call it steam heating. i associated steam heating with the places in big cities like new york where they had pipes coming in from the utility company or something, not just from a water boiler in your own house

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Steam and hot water are too different things (normally; i don't know about the nomenclature in pittsburgh)

In NYC for example most of the older apartment buildings use actual steam. It's noisy as gently caress and the radiators can release some steam into the room.

In older houses in a lot of places in New England it's common to use hot water (not steam).

Get this, they call bologna "jumbo" in Pittsburgh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i live at an inlet of a large river into a sea, and air humidity in my flat has been around 25% for 2 months now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

did we ever figure out why smoka thought their apartment was weird for having a breaker box

Apr 7, 2003

My last apartment had radiators like these

and I miss them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

steam radiator heating and forced hot water baseboard heating are two very different things lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

no he means homes in the northeast used to have forced hot air heating, which works but the air in your house gets incredibly dry and it sucks. so you put in a humidifier to bring the humidity back up to livable range.

then later people started using hot water baseboard heating, basically a bunch of hot water pipes running along the floor. theres no steam. it just radiates heat from the hot water using a water boiler. it doesnt add humidity but it doesnt dry out the air like forced hot air
He said that hot water radiators helped with humidity which is why I'm confused

and I miss them
Right that's steam not hot water Tori

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mystes posted:

The air is really dry in the winter if you just heat it up. You can ideally use a humidifier without turning the whole house into a jungle.
humidifiers are good if you have a cold or flu. you can run them until your humidity is at 60% without creating wild condensation. i don't really have a way of measuring it besides setting my main whole-house hvac to 60% but fancier humidifiers have programmable humidity sensors/shutoffs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

did we ever figure out why smoka thought their apartment was weird for having a breaker box

some electricians were doing something unrelated to smoka’s apartment via it, or something like that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

steam radiators suck immense rear end

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

He said that hot water radiators helped with humidity which is why I'm confused

Right that's steam Tori

he meant they dont hurt the humidity like forced hot air does

Apr 7, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

steam radiator heating and forced hot water baseboard heating are two very different things lol

They call it "hot water" everywhere I've lived. *shrug*

Captain Foo posted:

steam radiators suck immense rear end

I sorta miss the banging and cats like them

Apr 7, 2003

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Who knows

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Get this, they call bologna "jumbo" in Pittsburgh

thats because cities in the northeast are older and actually had time to develop differences and local culture. cities in the west are all exactly the same.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

he meant they dont hurt the humidity like forced hot air does

They call it hot water heat here...even if you don't have your radiators set to let a little steam out
That's what I was responding to (if you can set the radiator to let steam out it's steam not hot water)

Apr 7, 2003

I'm going through house listings in my zip code to find some of the old radiator setups and every single listing I'm finding has all the radiators torn out and forced air retrofitted in. fuckers

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

and I miss them

one place i lived in in chicago had these adn they were so loving noisy. just rattlign all night even when turned down as low as possible. real cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm going through house listings in my zip code to find some of the old radiator setups and every single listing I'm finding has all the radiators torn out and forced air retrofitted in. fuckers
I hate steam so assuming that Pittsburgh was mostly steam I can't disagree with that decision. Probably most people want central air now too, though.

If I bought a house with hot water I would probably just leave it and install mini-splits personally.

bump_fn posted:

one place i lived in in chicago had these adn they were so loving noisy. just rattlign all night even when turned down as low as F
I stated at a place in NYC once where it was like someone hitting a pipe with a hammer right next to my ear and it woke me up every 20 minutes all night. It was a completely miserable experience.

I have lived in other places where it wasn't that bad though.