Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Looks like development is winding down on MW5, and the dev team is being moved to LOTRO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's such a weird transition, but I'm more upset we aren't getting an MWO2. We're probably in for another decade of no new mechwarrior games.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I picked up MW5 and the two DLC a few weeks ago as they were on sale and I forgot it even existed. It was ok but has that small indy developer smell to it because PGI. I wasn't expecting a polished experience but there were just enough things wrong that wouldn't take a lot of effort to have cleaned up that is spoils the over all experience. There are the big ticket items like the AI being garbage and if I have to see another Jumpship/Dropship animation ever it will be too soon. The pile of small things for example limited mech customization, no Solaris when it would be easy enough to add it, reuse of art assets over and over, limited audio and the audio being post processed differently (most voice lines have audio distortion on them while others sound clear as a bell). It was tragically comical how many of the high value missions were "We think these guys have stolen/attacked/planning to attack us!" that by mission 3 turned into "oops we were wrong but hey here is your money and go away". I believe MS still owns the IP and just licensed it to PGI so it might get farmed out someone who is willing to kiss the ring some time in the 2030s.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I picked up MW5 and the two DLC a few weeks ago as they were on sale and I forgot it even existed. It was ok but has that small indy developer smell to it because PGI. I wasn't expecting a polished experience but there were just enough things wrong that wouldn't take a lot of effort to have cleaned up that is spoils the over all experience. There are the big ticket items like the AI being garbage and if I have to see another Jumpship/Dropship animation ever it will be too soon. The pile of small things for example limited mech customization, no Solaris when it would be easy enough to add it, reuse of art assets over and over, limited audio and the audio being post processed differently (most voice lines have audio distortion on them while others sound clear as a bell). It was tragically comical how many of the high value missions were "We think these guys have stolen/attacked/planning to attack us!" that by mission 3 turned into "oops we were wrong but hey here is your money and go away". I believe MS still owns the IP and just licensed it to PGI so it might get farmed out someone who is willing to kiss the ring some time in the 2030s.

I've been on a second playthrough, with the DLC this time. We've only installed two mods, but they bring the game from a not very good quality level to pretty great.

Most important - Coop permissions https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/140?tab=description
For some reason the base game has no settings to let other players fiddle with loadouts. That's insane, and it makes the game much more boring than it needs to be for the non-host players.

Useful but not necessary - Skip jumpship animations https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/100?tab=description

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Get on that discord thing

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Most important - Coop permissions https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/140?tab=description
For some reason the base game has no settings to let other players fiddle with loadouts. That's insane, and it makes the game much more boring than it needs to be for the non-host players.
That may have changed. I've been playing unmodded with a buddy, and I've been able to edit loadouts as the guest.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Had my first 1000 damage match tonight :toot:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Electoral Surgery posted:

Had my first 1000 damage match tonight :toot:
:toot: :toot:

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
I’ve been getting crushed lately in quickplay. I haven’t been following all the new buffs/quirks they have been putting in recently. What are some solid mechs nowadays?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Corn Burst posted:

I’ve been getting crushed lately in quickplay. I haven’t been following all the new buffs/quirks they have been putting in recently. What are some solid mechs nowadays?

What sort of mech did you like driving and what sort of combat engagement do you prefer? There's actually a pretty large stable of good choices now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Corn Burst posted:

more mechs than ever are solid b/c of quirks and weapon rebalance. what do you have?

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Pattonesque posted:

more mechs than ever are solid b/c of quirks and weapon rebalance. what do you have?

I enjoy brawling and being an rear end in a top hat light. I have almost 1 of each type of mech, but my builds are old, aka: Ghost Dad, Splat Cat, Menturian, etc. I just wanted to see what the new hotness is!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Corn Burst posted:

I enjoy brawling and being an rear end in a top hat light. I have almost 1 of each type of mech, but my builds are old, aka: Ghost Dad, Splat Cat, Menturian, etc. I just wanted to see what the new hotness is!

OK so for a ghost dad you could do this:

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=c19908d6_AS7-D-DC

you have crazy amounts of armor now

for a Menturion you could do this:

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=63ad0ee9_CN9-A

Centurions also have crazy armor now

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Pattonesque posted:

OK so for a ghost dad you could do this:

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=c19908d6_AS7-D-DC

you have crazy amounts of armor now

for a Menturion you could do this:

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=63ad0ee9_CN9-A

Centurions also have crazy armor now

Hell yea Pattonesque thanks for the suggestions, that Menturian looks mean.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Corn Burst posted:

Hell yea Pattonesque thanks for the suggestions, that Menturian looks mean.

it's good stuff. The Yen-Lo-Wang is also good now. I would also recommend from older mechs Firestarters, Urbies, Phoenix Hawks, Wolverines, and Warhammers. But if you have a semi-full list I can suggest other builds

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Pattonesque posted:

it's good stuff. The Yen-Lo-Wang is also good now. I would also recommend from older mechs Firestarters, Urbies, Phoenix Hawks, Wolverines, and Warhammers. But if you have a semi-full list I can suggest other builds

Having recently picked up a Warhammer and a Phoenix Hawk (going for that Macross collection), I would be most interested in build suggestions for both.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

dingo with a joint posted:

Having recently picked up a Warhammer and a Phoenix Hawk (going for that Macross collection), I would be most interested in build suggestions for both.

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=0d4c7af7_WHM-6D

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=7c9aa0ca_WHM-6R

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=258428b4_PXH-2

both personal favorites

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Wait, does light gauss not GH with PPCs?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

aniviron posted:

It does not. That one is a 40-point PPFLD alpha at 900m

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

aniviron posted:

They also have very similar projectile speeds.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yes, the PPC & gauss combo goes back a decade, it's a perfect pairing for a reason. Every single conceivable combo of the two types of weapons has ghost heat, except for this one - hence my surprise. I just assumed it did, erroneously.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Fair enough since they only changed it fairly recently with the big balance patch.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
There's also the Marauder-4L, which gets an ERPPC +2 HSL which means it can do this:

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=86cc73dc_MAD-4L

50-point PPFLD alpha at 900m. It's a MAD-II so it's got a lot of problems but if you get set up you can lay about

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
On a Marauder II note I bought the -4HP during the sale last month and it was way more fun than I thought it'd be. Sure, it's gimped for a 100-tonner after it blows its load, but by that time you've solo killed 2-3 mechs and done your damage if you're lucky with the rocket bursts.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

yaay posted:

On a Marauder II note I bought the -4HP during the sale last month and it was way more fun than I thought it'd be. Sure, it's gimped for a 100-tonner after it blows its load, but by that time you've solo killed 2-3 mechs and done your damage if you're lucky with the rocket bursts.

Rockets?
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=3efce2c3_MAD-4HP

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Rockets yeah. I mean I have like fifty SRM boats already, it's cool to try out something I wouldn't normally bother with with that +2HSL .

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

yaay posted:

Rockets yeah. I mean I have like fifty SRM boats already, it's cool to try out something I wouldn't normally bother with with that +2HSL .

Testing new things? No thank you. I got my entire mechbay filled with the hottest metamechs.com builds and I don't need nothing else.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is grimmechs tier list kept up to date or does that have old rear end data like metamechs does?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Is grimmechs tier list kept up to date or does that have old rear end data like metamechs does?

it's out of date but the mechs on there should still do work. they're working on updating it but it's a big task lol. best to go here and sort by date: https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/Database

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I got the best tier list right here:

Entry 1: IS XL engines = Big Dick Energy

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I just always play my laservomit flea when I feel like playing, never disappoints. I think I still have all the ghost dads and catapult builds from days past as well, it's been a while.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Thanks folks. Good stuff.

In awe at how much you've managed to squeeze into this frame. Had never occurred to me to have 0 head armour as part of min-maxing. 😮

How would you play a build like this? Hit n' runner? Counter-charging bodyguard for the lance? Roaming mugger of lights?

Two very different directions to take a Whammer; good to see the flexibility of the mech.

The energy build looks like a bit of a brawler; the dakka one looks like a semi-straightforward sniper build. Do I have those right?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I picked up MW5 on the steam sale and have been playing it with a friend. I am quickly learning that builds that are good in MWO aren't necessarily good in MW5.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Personally, I feel that one of the issues that MechWarrior in general has always had trouble with is "how do we make sure every chassis in a given weight class isn't basically the same," and making certain attributes fixed (usually hardpoints) is a decent way to go about it. I understand that MW5 is working with a lower technology base that makes large-scale overhauls difficult at best, and probably out of reach of some rando mercenary like yourself, but I think it's a little too constrained, and prevents you from salvaging some things because of "engine too big" style fuckups.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I kind of mean more along the lines of simply ballistic or missile builds. In MWO it's a 1:1 of your team to the opponent, in MW5 you have to slog through dozens of enemy mechs in many missions and the ammo capabilities just aren't there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Thanks folks. Good stuff.

In awe at how much you've managed to squeeze into this frame. Had never occurred to me to have 0 head armour as part of min-maxing. 😮

How would you play a build like this? Hit n' runner? Counter-charging bodyguard for the lance? Roaming mugger of lights?

lots of hit-and-fade, occasional light bully (but your DPS isn't enough to reliably win a straight-up fight with say a MLX)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
IS lights have 15+ structure HP on their heads, and often less than that on their other components, I only ever put a little bit of armor on the head if they contain ammo or I have exactly 1 point of armor left to assign. Phoenix Hawk is just an oversized light mech really. :v:

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

yaay posted:

I wound up loading my -4HP with eight MRM 10 launchers. It's kind of hilarious and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hellequin posted:

I wound up loading my -4HP with eight MRM 10 launchers. It's kind of hilarious and I love it.

Just eight? You can totally fit 4x30 on there. Sure it spreads damage like crazy, but very few people feel the urge to repeek after a couple 120 damage salvos.