Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

go to bed, hbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

go to bed, hbag

i will but first im working on this java assignment that i explicitly just woke up from a nap to do

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm a morning person and i start between 7:30 to 8am instead of 9am like most of my colleagues

but i spend the first two hours of every day posting and goofing off :hehe:

I like waking up in the morning. I wake up at 4 so I can go to the gym and hog the equipment before anyone else does.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hbag.sleep(28800000);

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I start work at 6am so that I can be done by 1 or 2

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hbag posted:

oh poo poo nice
apparently we're getting gigabit internet over the weekend

wicked sick. is that symmetrical?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wicked sick. is that symmetrical?

no idea, just got a call from hmum saying we're getting gigabit fibre since our current plan's about to expire and she managed to talk them into giving us it for the same price as our current plan lmao

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I applied to some jobs. trying to get my poo poo together. ugh

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 13, 2022

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i have a job and i still don't have my poo poo together

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jobs in puter militate against shittogethering imo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I have “gigabit” that’s like 850/10 in speed tests lmao

still beats the poo poo out of the 25/5 I had in WV

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I have “gigabit” that’s like 850/10 in speed tests lmao

still beats the poo poo out of the 25/5 I had in WV
Should have sprung for the gibibit internet

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have kibblesnbits internet. It's pretty ruff.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cold on a Cob posted:

i have a job and i still don't have my poo poo together

I've "had a job" for 20 years and I still don't have any of my poo poo even in the same county.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enderzero posted:

as hilarious as that would be for this case, it’s just a modified code for the second, third, etc appt for a condition or procedure. initial treatments are often more involved and require more work the follow up appointments so they get coded differently so you can bill differently. also known as sequela

lame, ill live my dream of some south dakotan air force guy named chance ferdinand lincoln iii getting sucked into f-15 fighters repeatedly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

america’s most broken shoulder, tonight on fox

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lame, ill live my dream of some south dakotan air force guy named chance ferdinand lincoln iii getting sucked into f-15 fighters repeatedly

even after being moved to the air force reserve it kept happening to him so they've finally just given him a promotion and a desk job in hopes that it'll stop him from poking the hornet's nest

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my hand hurts from too much clicking

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

my hand hurts from too much clicking

buy a foot pedal

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have symmetrical gigabit fiber. It's pretty good. Especially during WFH.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’ve got my poo poo together. I recommend it, much less stressful way to live.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh right my dumb rear end just realized "symmetrical" means the upload and download speeds are more or less the same

i have no idea

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have chronic not-having-poo poo-together syndrome and being a computer toucher is basically the only way I can pretend to have a normal life

it’s either this or living paycheck to paycheck as a cstore clerk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

be an academic, academics very rarely have their poo poo together

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

idk if i'll get to retire but i'll keep saving my cash and hope i can i guess

i'll never 'retire' but this is my last tech job, and after this i am going to turn into the random ham radio ranting mountain man that also does odd welding jobs that everybody on the internet visualizes me as

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

buy a foot pedal

i kinda want one but accessibility equipment is cruelly overpriced

although there's a two pedal one under $100 on amazon, and there's reasonable reviews

maybe it's time to get pedals and consider a big billiard ball trackball for full comfort computing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

big billiard ball trackball

i use one of these. it's pretty good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

buy a foot pedal

i actually have one of these but i only use it .... for gaming!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

i actually have one of these but i only use it .... for gaming!!!

its not immediately obvious how I'd map one of the switches to "mouse click" because it thinks its a keyboard so idk I've already thought about it more than i want to

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

from left to right:

esc, melee attack, grenade

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll never 'retire' but this is my last tech job, and after this i am going to turn into the random ham radio ranting mountain man that also does odd welding jobs that everybody on the internet visualizes me as

I’m guessing you have two wood stoves. one for the house and one for the pole barn workshop/garage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

its not immediately obvious how I'd map one of the switches to "mouse click" because it thinks its a keyboard so idk I've already thought about it more than i want to

probably can jerry rig autohotkey for that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: this loving bathroom shelf on sucker pods keeps falling off, and i just want to throw it out of my window

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

cjs: Boss asked me to write up an ADR. I feel like I can start expanding into more of a senior role, now that we have another person joining staff and I've had a good few months to get familiar. And I feel there's a need for me to do this now that $boss is trying to be more hands off and is (afaict?) subtly nudging me in this direction

Are there some good books / recommended reading with getting more familiar and confident with that sort of role?

The social side of it is mostly fine, we are a pretty flat workspace, I'm more concerned around:

- getting more comfortable with writing up specs, seeing corner cases. hoping for something more specific on this than the usual middle managery stuff

- getting more comfortable with MVC systems and typical architectures for them (preferably something that isn't steeped in mvc buzzwordy bullshit)

- getting more able to voice how i feel a system should be designed rather than just going with the flow

I've (finally) started reading through The Design Of Everyday Things, I've skimmed the first part of Notes On The Synthesis of Form. I'm wondering about taking a look at The Manager's Path to see what I can glean from it. Any other suggestions? Maybe something I wouldn't have thought of?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

We're a relatively flat company but I'm feeling the need to start actually showing my 10 years of experience and letting it come into play rather than purely just keeping my head down and shovelling what im told, and I think that would be more appreciated and I know about the codebase now to start actually doing that.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

cjs: Boss asked me to write up an ADR. I feel like I can start expanding into more of a senior role, now that we have another person joining staff and I've had a good few months to get familiar. And I feel there's a need for me to do this now that $boss is trying to be more hands off and is (afaict?) subtly nudging me in this direction

Are there some good books / recommended reading with getting more familiar and confident with that sort of role?

The social side of it is mostly fine, we are a pretty flat workspace, I'm more concerned around:

- getting more comfortable with writing up specs, seeing corner cases. hoping for something more specific on this than the usual middle managery stuff

- getting more comfortable with MVC systems and typical architectures for them (preferably something that isn't steeped in mvc buzzwordy bullshit)

- getting more able to voice how i feel a system should be designed rather than just going with the flow

I've (finally) started reading through The Design Of Everyday Things, I've skimmed the first part of Notes On The Synthesis of Form. I'm wondering about taking a look at The Manager's Path to see what I can glean from it. Any other suggestions? Maybe something I wouldn't have thought of?

definitely https://staffeng.com/book
maybe https://www.manning.com/books/bdd-in-action
maybe https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Systems-Donella-H-Meadows/dp/1603580557
everyone should read https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMANTICS-SYSTEMS-BIBLE-John-Gall-ebook/dp/B00AK1BIDM

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

post hole digger posted:

a lot of my friends in nyc get 'summer fridays' where they get fridays off/half-days in the summer. wtf is that.

I’ve worked for German corps for most of my career and we have summer hours where we get a half day on fridays because it’s not like we can get ahold of Germany at any point in the summer anyways

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve worked for German corps for most of my career and we have summer hours where we get a half day on fridays because it’s not like we can get ahold of Germany at any point in the summer anyways

yeah you can just like give the entire company august off anyways and stop pretending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i would actually be not surprised to see eu instate like 50% working time for august via directive or something