Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

was asking the dev interviewing me questions at the end of a tech screen "... so how does company x do that?" "i don't know how many other interviews you're on but this is for company y"

loving woof. i got both questions correct so if i don't get it going to say it's entirely on that.

in which case good riddance, what kind of idiot would think less of you as a candidate for that really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I got my offer after negotiating. 9% bump and a signing bonus. I didn’t get senior in my title but I’m ok with that because within 6 months I’ll be eligible and that will be a nice promotion and raise pretty quick. I start the 31st! I’m telling my boss tomorrow but my team already knows

beware that "oh we'll promote you and give you a big raise after six months" is a pretty classic bait and switch that companies pull while hiring

hell, it's not uncommon even once you work somewhere. "well we can't promote you this cycle because of [generic bureaucratic reason] but in six months you're a shoo-in," every six months, forever, until you quit

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when i interview i try to start with a blank piece of paper and write down any pertinent info on the page (e.g. job title, company, interviewer's name, etc) so that I don't accidentally do that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
youre doing sales, how salespeeps avoid this sitch is by using a crm thing like salesforce. but the minimal crm is a spreadsheet

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

beware that "oh we'll promote you and give you a big raise after six months" is a pretty classic bait and switch that companies pull while hiring

hell, it's not uncommon even once you work somewhere. "well we can't promote you this cycle because of [generic bureaucratic reason] but in six months you're a shoo-in," every six months, forever, until you quit
similarly, contract-to-hire jobs often never quite getting around to the "...to-hire" part of the description. just like requests for raises, something always mysteriously comes up that makes it Really Not A Good Time Right Now to discuss the issue

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

lol mr "didn't know what mvc was" thinks hes not getting tech jobs because he's too honest

edit to add: "I've never written production code that talks to a DB nor have I ever written production code that issues an RPC or calls an external API."

the real subject worth talking about here is how this man must have the most perfect resume on earth if he's getting interviews at facebook when it seems like he's essentially never written any code???

i have been programming computer professionally for 15 years and never heard of most of this web poo poo, and definitely not written any of it.

there are many different parts of computer. even facebook will want people who do things other than the actual website.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the same reason they get off on drilling candidates on obscure trivia

they're rear end in a top hat :spergin:s who shouldn't be anywhere near the hiring process

Got asked about Covariance and Contravariance in C# at a MS interview

Wanted to say
1. This interview also covered typescript and SQL
2. You shouldn’t be leaning that heavily on OOP concepts in the first place.
3. You just read an article, didn’t you?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

raminasi posted:

yeah I get that but I know some people there already and it’s a small-ish company (~300) and the ceo sent me the offer letter so I’m hoping to make a good impression. they do promotions/raises/bonuses etc every June/December. I’m really Fuckin good at what I do and if I can’t get a promote in the next year it’s either like you say and I’ll move on or I succeed! thanks for the heads up I hadn’t thought of the bait and switch angle

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Coffee Jones posted:

Wanted to say

would have been funny to say something like "oh man i'm so happy to see the new changes related to this in c# 9!" without elaborating just to see if you can get the interviewer to squirm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in my experience "full stack" means "everyone is real bad at front end code and they hot potato who has to glue together some react components they found"

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

similarly, contract-to-hire jobs often never quite getting around to the "...to-hire" part of the description. just like requests for raises, something always mysteriously comes up that makes it Really Not A Good Time Right Now to discuss the issue

i had an interview for a contract-to-hire role last week where the hiring manager said that most of his contract-to-hires were brought on permanently after 6 or 12 months and they did it that way because it was easier to get HR approval (legacy company, new team, growing fast, etc).

also apparently they're "legally prevented from having a contract-to-hire longer than 12 months", broken only in 2020 due to a pandemic hiring freeze.

idk how much to believe of any of that. they're a media conglomerate operating in california so i guess there might be some industry-specific regulation around contracts even though it's a corporate sweng job. but there's nothing stopping them from just not renewing the contract.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

apropos of nothing:

https://twitter.com/summer__heidi/status/1481408002209226752

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coffee Jones posted:

Wanted to say

reminds me of the "tech "lead"" who rejected my cv (with ~8 years of python experience) with feedback that they're seeking candidates with experience in strongly typed languages

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

was asking the dev interviewing me questions at the end of a tech screen "... so how does company x do that?" "i don't know how many other interviews you're on but this is for company y"

loving woof. i got both questions correct so if i don't get it going to say it's entirely on that.

lmao not quite the bloody maneuver but gettin close

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

KidDynamite posted:

lol negging your interviewer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been converted from contract exactly once after a year, I ended up staying at the place 7 more years after that but that team was almost exclusively sourced that way, so it's ok to ask how many people have been converted

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Quebec Bagnet posted:

i had an interview for a contract-to-hire role last week where the hiring manager said that most of his contract-to-hires were brought on permanently after 6 or 12 months and they did it that way because it was easier to get HR approval (legacy company, new team, growing fast, etc).

also apparently they're "legally prevented from having a contract-to-hire longer than 12 months", broken only in 2020 due to a pandemic hiring freeze.

idk how much to believe of any of that. they're a media conglomerate operating in california so i guess there might be some industry-specific regulation around contracts even though it's a corporate sweng job. but there's nothing stopping them from just not renewing the contract.

afaict there's an idea that 1099 misclassification is okay as long as the contract has some upper limit in length (either 9 months or 12 months depending on who you ask), similar to the whole "you must delete roms after 24 hours" thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

big companies don't really do 1099 contracting, it's almost always w2 through a staffing agency who gets $30-60 per hour as long as you're there

it's a great scam all the agency has to do is payroll and benefits

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I went from an 8 month contract to full time at my current job, but I would not recommend it. I had a ~20% jump in comp and was promised a fat raise upon conversion but the jump never happened (though my benefits got much much better)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

reminds me of the "tech "lead"" who rejected my cv (with ~8 years of python experience) with feedback that they're seeking candidates with experience in strongly typed languages

i'm curious if that person thinks C is more strongly or less strongly typed than python

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm curious if that person thinks C is more strongly or less strongly typed than python

the requirement stemmed out of possibly having to code some cruds in go

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the requirement stemmed out of possibly having to code some cruds in go

lol

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Quebec Bagnet posted:

My guess would be that the hiring manager was being honest and that's what they're trying to do. But they're not necessarily in control of making that happen. Ask how many current FTEs on the team were brought in that way.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

qirex posted:

in my experience "full stack" means "everyone is real bad at front end code and they hot potato who has to glue together some react components they found"

lmao, yeah same

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

do i want to move out of embedded software into something else? i do like the area but when it comes to doing that kind of work for bigtech it's very tied to product release schedules that have vendors and manufacturing that's all in the APAC time zone. I feel like there's a larger variety of companies and roles available if you're more of a generalist SWE. it'll probably be time to move on to something new by around this time next year (if not sooner) so I'm starting to think about this.

also I kind of want full remote so I can choose where to live based on where it is a good place to live and not some lovely expensive suburb that's the best compromise between commute length and being near actual things. i have toyed with the idea of working at facebook but I'm still landing on the "no" side of that for obvious reasons.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you want to think about general SWE jobs, start applying. Demand is so high right now that you won't have trouble getting interviews.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

levine is totally a burnout currently, i wouldnt expect his newsletter to exist for more than a year or two. but it will get funnier (however the financial talkin shittier) for that duration i think. the gamestop poo poo broke him, lol

I think he was just on paternity leave around that time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it also, conpletely separately, broke him

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ill likely end up with the american tech job in the end, and with “likely” i mean “unless a giant asteroid destroys north america”. the finance job had higher expected tc, and likely higher tc ramp rate than working for americans without jumping titles or companies, but it ended up being a classical case of executives who can’t let it go and insist on hands-on operations involvement severely loving up the process of closing the contract because they don’t have time to read my emails thoroughly, yet do have the gall to try legalsplaining me my post-soviet civil law environment with eton-oxbridge british offshore plutocrat accent

pro tip: if a dude owns a vat registered llc, chances are a request for contract text change substantiated as “My company name is written incorrectly in Art. 2 (4)” may have legal ramifications, and is not in fact a daft brogrammer’s attempt to cosplay doing business alongside the big boys

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

last job i had with execs like that was a comedy trash fire where lieutenants had to babysit proverbial chimpanzees running around a military arsenal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

still going to read some levine, my financial know how is way worse than it should be, except for some hyper specific areas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you moving or remoting forever? if you make it to figgieland prime i live a bit from sfo

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ill likely end up with the american tech job in the end, and with “likely” i mean “unless a giant asteroid destroys north america”. the finance job had higher expected tc, and likely higher tc ramp rate than working for americans without jumping titles or companies, but it ended up being a classical case of executives who can’t let it go and insist on hands-on operations involvement severely loving up the process of closing the contract because they don’t have time to read my emails thoroughly, yet do have the gall to try legalsplaining me my post-soviet civil law environment with eton-oxbridge british offshore plutocrat accent

pro tip: if a dude owns a vat registered llc, chances are a request for contract text change substantiated as “My company name is written incorrectly in Art. 2 (4)” may have legal ramifications, and is not in fact a daft brogrammer’s attempt to cosplay doing business alongside the big boys

Congratulations comrade, we've fitted your back lower right molar with a cyanide capsule in a case of emergency. Now stack that paper

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

If you want to think about general SWE jobs, start applying. Demand is so high right now that you won't have trouble getting interviews.

i was about to say that it would be a bad time for my team for me to leave but then caught myself and had a sensible chuckle

the other problem is my job has involved relatively little writing of code recently so if I want to start interviewing I'm gonna have to grind on one of the algo practice sites for a while, not looking forward to that. although i have to do that even for an internal transfer so I guess there's no escaping it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you moving or remoting forever? if you make it to figgieland prime i live a bit from sfo

im denoting it as “remote at least for now”, since if im to quack like an american, i may as well keep that at “for now” and be open minded about what happens. my current team is eu-based, so doubtfully something soon - unless the greenfield im being hired into falls apart and i get transferred elsewhere

Armitag3 posted:

Congratulations comrade, we've fitted your back lower right molar with a cyanide capsule in a case of emergency. Now stack that paper

:staredog: you did, in fact, guess the location of my sole remaining wisdom tooth

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

guess?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

im not a computer toucher but i have a full panel interview tomorrow (hour presentation, 1:1s with 6 people for half an hour)

i talked with the HM before talking to the HR person which i did today and it things look good, which is good for me because it's the exact kind of move job and geographically i want to make. she also told me that 2 different sr directors are already fighting over who gets me so that was a nice ego boost that i needed

bad news: i gave a number

good news: i gave a number that's 60% higher than my total comp for base salary and will include equity and a flexible work schedule (not to mention relocation and signing bonus)

i had another interview for a director position in the bay that i thought went horrible and they sent me an email letting me know they'd schedule another round soon. i guess companies really are desperate

edit: oh and the hr person already asked for letters of recommendation

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 20, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

are places really that desperate? Maybe I should stop ignoring those architect and principal recruiters

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
a guy I hired as an intern 2 years ago at $21/hr who still hasnt finished his IT degree from the same mediocre state school I went to just got a $150k/yr job

he’s got like 3 years of Python web scraper making

poo poo is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

where though. ( geographically)