Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

double cjs: Barely been able to get any of my own tasks done because I keep getting pulled away to help others with theirs. Which probably means I'm a de facto team lead again but without the title and pay of a team lead :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was eyeballing the ds920x,
why don't you try eyeballing dsnuts, bihtc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

:eyepop:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: oh nice, monday's a holiday completely forgot

:hfive:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

double cjs: Barely been able to get any of my own tasks done because I keep getting pulled away to help others with theirs. Which probably means I'm a de facto team lead again but without the title and pay of a team lead :|

lead de jure

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

wait thats what a team lead is because this is my whole life

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

post hole digger posted:

:same:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

post hole digger posted:

we have “lead engineers” that aren’t specifically team leads, but just the next level up from senior

one of the expected responsibilities of that title is to guide/mentor lower level engineers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cjs: currently installing maven

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

whoa parents are actually just team leads for the family

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

If only TechLead could have learned that lesson

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

post hole digger posted:

yes, my teamlead time was doing tech support for 2 mathematicians, and unpaid emotional support for another handful of economists

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if there was a way to execute it wo it being prima facie the stupidest fuckin idea in the world, staff therapists would help a lot at like 90% of puter places

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

you go from being a tech lead at figgyland prime to a tech lead at figgyland subprime

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you go from being a tech lead at figgyland prime to a tech lead at figgyland subprime

stop right there

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hi I'm fat32 shamer and i work two full time jobs

I'm a senior android developer at $corp and founder and CEO of a small indie startup called $family

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if there was a way to execute it wo it being prima facie the stupidest fuckin idea in the world, staff therapists would help a lot at like 90% of puter places

yeah. like obviously there are huge problems with going to a therapist who reports to your boss, but certainly having one on staff -- and thus accessible for free -- would remove a major hurdle for many people.

if only there were some way you could have "staff therapists" who were just, like, available for free to everyone who was, say, an american citizen. it would be like getting a job healthcare benefit, but the job is you just are living in america and paying your taxes. i wonder if anyone's tried it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

if only there were some way you could have "staff therapists" who were just, like, available for free to everyone who was, say, an american citizen. it would be like getting a job healthcare benefit, but the job is you just are living in america and paying your taxes. i wonder if anyone's tried it?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hi I'm fat32 shamer and i work two full time jobs

I'm a senior android developer at $corp and founder and CEO of a small indie startup called $family

A friend of mine felt like he didn't have enough to put on his resume after college so he put down he managed a small team in college, and wrote a short blurb about how he would coordinate activities and stuff like that.

He was talking about how we would play dota 2 in college and he would constantly need to tell people what to do, where to go, etc when we played competitively. He said his first job was very impressed when he talked about it at the interview.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

A friend of mine felt like he didn't have enough to put on his resume after college so he put down he managed a small team in college, and wrote a short blurb about how he would coordinate activities and stuff like that.

He was talking about how we would play dota 2 in college and he would constantly need to tell people what to do, where to go, etc when we played competitively. He said his first job was very impressed when he talked about it at the interview.

defraud of the ancients

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

yeah. like obviously there are huge problems with going to a therapist who reports to your boss, but certainly having one on staff -- and thus accessible for free -- would remove a major hurdle for many people.

not any universal healthcare countries, their mental health care is all pretty uniformly poo poo

british nhs is pretty typical in that about half of those who need it get served (and the tories are fuckin it over as usual), estonia is pretty typical for poorer countries inasmuch theres de facto no mental health policy except for drinking an absolute fuckton, korea and japan are typical for nonwestern countries inasmuch as mental health anything has a brutal stigma

of course if you get it you dont pay for it

in this, american omnishambles is actually typical

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 13, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I knew a couple people that put their wow guild on their resume

one of them even ended up with a job at blizzard, for better or worse

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

not any universal healthcare countries, their mental health care is all pretty uniformly poo poo

british nhs is pretty typical in that about half of those who need it get served (and the tories are fuckin it over as usual), estonia is pretty typical for poorer countries inasmuch theres de facto no mental health policy except for drinking an absolute fuckton, korea and japan are typical for nonwestern countries inasmuch as mental health anything has a brutal stigma

in this, american omnishambles is actually typical

the better mental health systems in europe are in germany, switzerland, netherlands, iceland. a lot of it is really poo poo though, or has some weird corner cases e.g. if youre sick finland will (eventually) have your back, but if youre trans in finland you either get castrated or emmigrate. imo mental healthcare systems' weaknesses in europe et al. are are function of stigma (or history like psych asylums being used to imprison and mentally incapacitate political enemies in ussr), "novelty", and poor public administration practices (conservatives and populists running a lot of poo poo into the ground, inspired by america or nhs), rather than simply some naturalistic inability of public healthcare system provide for a therapist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i literally dont have any examples of good mental health care in a country, i dont think it exists, public private or mixed

finland gets every physical health measure brutally better than america but suicide rates are comparable despite america having guns out every orifice and alcoholism rates are higher in finland. both rates are only slighltly lower in iceland

there are still vast differences between countries but the best countries by those metrics are basically rural catholic tropical islands, antigua, barbados, etc, which is almost certainly confounded by the catholicism and the law of small numbers

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 13, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

finland gets every physical health measure brutally better than america but suicide rates are comparable

that's cause finland is too dark in the winter.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i guess the real conclusion is, "physical treatment gets 5 sigma results for 25 bucks, and the american problem is they mark it up 40000%, but mental treatment really does give 0.3 sigma results for 100 bux/hour and the american markup of 200% basically doesnt matter"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i literally dont have any examples of good mental health care in a country, i dont think it exists, public private or mixed

finland gets every physical health measure brutally better than america but suicide rates are comparable despite america having guns out every orifice and alcoholism rates are higher in finland. both rates are only slighltly lower in iceland

there are still vast differences between countries but the best countries by those metrics are basically rural catholic tropical islands, antigua, barbados, etc, which is almost certainly confounded by the catholicism and the law of small numbers

"better", not "good". in latvia if a dude goes to a therapist, the therapist will laugh and say "man up and have a drink, spineless bitch". then if anyone learns at work that you've been to a therapist, your character will be immediately assassinated, with everyone distancing from you while the boss figures out which manufactured reason you can legally be fired for

in germany you can actually have a professional hear you out, which is a comparatively great start

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

this is the alcoholism rates explanation too, winter countries drink heavily not because you can go to a beach 40 week per year

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
re: latvian mental health attitudes: same in korea but theyll be politer about it

both countries have robust public health otherwise

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

also if we had decent public health in the us it would go a long way towards improving mental health issues as well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

re: latvian mental health attitudes: same in korea but theyll be politer about it

both countries have robust public health otherwise

yeah, pretty much. our oncological care is other known weak spot of the system, but for everything other than 1 in more than latvian population problems you're covered by the public system. sometimes there will be a queue, which you can bruterforce through, generally speaking, quite affordable (@ median household income) private healthcare system and/or neighbouring countries (e.g. i used to shop my skin poison in lithuania, where it cost 1/3 the latvian price)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

also if we had decent public health in the us it would go a long way towards improving mental health issues as well

korea has robust and effective and close-to-free public health and the highest suicide rate in the world most years

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 13, 2022

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if someone was actually able to lead a Dota team successfully and deal with gamelord bullshit, talk down tilted assholes, help their players figure out how to improve…like yeah what do you think management is

or do you mean he was screaming at people in vc and calling it leadership because if so lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

korea has robust and effective and close-to-free public health and the highest suicide rate in the world most years

imagine how much worse the suicide rate would be if all that plus the cancer patients didn’t get treated

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was actually a lot lower before they finished the national health system in 1990 because the economy was more equal then lol, it spiked during the imf crisis

peeps talk a lot about the fundamental nature of korean society and confucianism and poo poo causing these suicides and im like, 'dude this started in the 90s'

sorta like peeps talking about the fundamental gluttinous nature of american culture causing the american obesity crisis despite the whole shebang starting in the 70s

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 13, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ob0jEc3OA8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
got a new laptop hooray