Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

spankmeister posted:

what's faker do anyway

generates fake names, addresses, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i thought he played league

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

now torrenting aws_leak_complete.zip (1/572657853287)

Security by no one having enough disk space to contain the leaks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

wonder what this white house open source security meeting is going to be like. I would love to hear Oracle's suggestions

https://blog.google/technology/safety-security/making-open-source-software-safer-and-more-secure/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

now torrenting aws_leak_complete.zip (1/572657853287)

information wants to be free, man

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

information wants to be free, man

should always have been obvious that the second part to that is "unless we invest heavily in stopping it now".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

duz posted:

generates fake names, addresses, etc

ah that's what I thought (because I know about the python and ruby versions) but I had no idea stuff like that was used so widely

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

spankmeister posted:

ah that's what I thought (because I know about the python and ruby versions) but I had no idea stuff like that was used so widely

I've found it incredibly useful for generating huge datasets for a dev environment that "feel" realistic. It's way safer than trying to anonymize prod data. Too often I've worked on dev stuff that has like 10 rows in it and then falls over in prod with 100k rows.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Update; the story was *slightly* overblown:

https://aws.amazon.com/security/security-bulletins/AWS-2022-002/

Disclaimer: I work for AWS.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:bighow:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adhemar posted:

Update; the story was *slightly* overblown:

https://aws.amazon.com/security/security-bulletins/AWS-2022-002/

Disclaimer: I work for AWS.

:chloe: we owned aws 🥶🥶😶‍🌫️😰😨😨😱🤯🤬🥵

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

was their cloud formation bit something else or related to this? im not too knowledgeable about aws

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FalseNegative posted:

I've found it incredibly useful for generating huge datasets for a dev environment that "feel" realistic. It's way safer than trying to anonymize prod data. Too often I've worked on dev stuff that has like 10 rows in it and then falls over in prod with 100k rows.

I'm sad that TEST environment will no longer have Joey Jo Jo, Joey Jo Jo Jo, Banana Fofana and Mr. Fahrenheit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol. that's a great way to ensure no one uses your app

lol they'll just mandate its use to enter banks and grocery stores like singapore does. really the only surprise is that it took this long to reach into the cookie jar; no government in the world will ever decline access to this kind of granular data on its citizens.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I'm sad that TEST environment will no longer have Joey Jo Jo, Joey Jo Jo Jo, Banana Fofana and Mr. Fahrenheit.

it me. Lana

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

was their cloud formation bit something else or related to this? im not too knowledgeable about aws

Separate, here’s the bulletin for that one: https://aws.amazon.com/security/security-bulletins/AWS-2022-001/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah that’s also been *slightly* exaggerated

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

not really a “security fuckup”, and more “scary as gently caress”

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1481866343104360450?s=21

i’ve been watching the news on ukraine closely these last few weeks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Good Sphere posted:

be afraid and expect worse

words to live by

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just discovered an IT person’s regular account in BUILTIN\Server Operators that never, ever should have elevated access because they do not know what the gently caress they are doing in any capacity. This was likely granted over a decade ago when this company’s IT was a lot more wild west in operation, well before my time.

It’s me, I’m the sec fuckup for not auditing the default domain groups beyond domain/ent/schema years ago. :negative:

e: at least I didn’t accidentally pull an “put a snowflake API key into a GitHub repo and then make it public” like a dipshit developer did a couple of weeks ago!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 15, 2022

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

we recently discovered at one of our customers the Domain Computers group is a member of Domain Users. im not 100% sure if that has any security implications but it is certainly a brain-gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that might have been a really awful hack to work around improperly scoped policies

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that might have been a really awful hack to work around improperly scoped policies

our theory is that it was a lovely workaround for when they changed the context in which GPOs are retrieved: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/ms16-072-security-update-for-group-policy-june-14-2016-7570425d-d460-3003-b2ac-a464c874725d

edit: we'd like to fix it but have no idea what it might break lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

turns out macos 10:13 can have a full screen ad that you cant stop w keyboard or mouse

i had to kill it with ssh wtf

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

edit: we'd like to fix it but have no idea what it might break lol

one way to find out...

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

turns out macos 10:13 can have a full screen ad that you cant stop w keyboard or mouse

i had to kill it with ssh wtf

pls expound

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

they're saying that macos is a full-screen ad and they had to kill -9 init to kill it

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
what process name is the OS itself 🤔

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
cool terminal user that is similar to Neo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

what process name is the OS itself 🤔

ive never used macos but apparently its based on unix or some poo poo and im p sure if you kill init it will at least kernel panic or something

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
get a Mac. try it out

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

For reference, macOS's main process is known as launchd. It has process ID 1, and is the parent process to everything other than the kernel itself (process id 0, name kernel_task).

Force quitting launchd will stop your mac until a restart at best and may lead to it becoming unusable without a system reinstall in some cases.

Force quitting kernel_task will stop your mac entirely. Or maybe it's impossible. I'm not sure and I have no intention of finding out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

has anyone said launchdeez nuts?

but also neat that was informative

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

For reference, macOS's main process is known as launchd. It has process ID 1, and is the parent process to everything other than the kernel itself (process id 0, name kernel_task).

Force quitting launchd will stop your mac until a restart at best and may lead to it becoming unusable without a system reinstall in some cases.

Force quitting kernel_task will stop your mac entirely. Or maybe it's impossible. I'm not sure and I have no intention of finding out.

... force quitting a task should not brick your system, come on mac you can do better than that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
bold and italics.. can't argue with that

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

meant to use fixed for computer proper-nouns. post rejected

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

meant to use fixed for computer proper-nouns. post rejected

𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐝

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bleepincomputer/status/1482031475985993731

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

... force quitting a task should not brick your system, come on mac you can do better than that.
stop using "brick" to mean "the os stopped running so I had to power it off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chris Knight posted:

stop using "brick" to mean "the os stopped running so I had to power it off"

they're talking about this bit:

Quackles posted:

which definitely fits within the colloquial meaning of "bricked"