Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

got a new laptop hooray

air or pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
I have a DS218+ that's been great except it ate a Time Machine backup once, which was bad because I'd already wiped the machine.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i literally dont have any examples of good mental health care in a country, i dont think it exists, public private or mixed

finland gets every physical health measure brutally better than america but suicide rates are comparable despite america having guns out every orifice and alcoholism rates are higher in finland. both rates are only slighltly lower in iceland

there are still vast differences between countries but the best countries by those metrics are basically rural catholic tropical islands, antigua, barbados, etc, which is almost certainly confounded by the catholicism and the law of small numbers

Finnish mental health care is "have some pills", full stop.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sounds about right. it doesnt hurt the contention that i dont know of a country with good mental health care. you hear comparable complaints anout the german swiss and icelandic treatment regimens

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 13, 2022

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jonny 290 posted:

air or pro

hah

let’s just say it’s not a crappy dell

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sounds about right. it doesnt hurt the contention that i dont know of a country with good mental health care

Yup. Adding context, not arguing against the point.

Therapy is next-to-impossible to get because there's no government-supported system for educating therapists. Studying to be a nurse is several orders of magnitude cheaper than studying to be a therapist.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
reminder that you can verify time machine backups by holding option when you click the icon in your menu bar

probably a good idea to do this every so often

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is the alcoholism rates explanation too, winter countries drink heavily not because you can go to a beach 40 week per year

i wonder if a bunch of those special lamps would help. or maybe they're just placebeaux

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a few friends in therapy and it seems like even theyre running out of helpful things to say these days. not making GBS threads on it as a whole but theres only so much think-about-the-good-things-in-your-life one can advise ityool 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have a town sized sun dealio rigged up from mirrors in rjukan norway

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

they have a town sized sun dealio rigged up from mirrors in rjukan norway

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/06/rjukan-sun-norway-town-mirrors

that's kind of a nice story :unsmith:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What I want from a laptop is a keyboard big enough that none of the navigation keys are hidden behind an Fn key, but not so big that there's a numpad so I have to sit all crooked to type. Also physical mouse buttons. Probably also a 16:10 screen. This combo seems pretty hard to find.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

korea has robust and effective and close-to-free public health and the highest suicide rate in the world most years

surprised the republicans haven't trotted this out as a response to m4a

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

i wonder if a bunch of those special lamps would help. or maybe they're just placebeaux

these are pretty good, i use them in winter - especially if my d vitamin levels crater more than their normal dismal low.

they’re pretty simple to use too, just have your morning coffee with one at a 45 degree angle a hand away

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a few friends in therapy and it seems like even theyre running out of helpful things to say these days. not making GBS threads on it as a whole but theres only so much think-about-the-good-things-in-your-life one can advise ityool 2022

i think there is only so much therapy can help if the problem is that your life sucks. therapy is great for me because my brain is a dumpster fire and i need help putting it out. but one nice consequence of spending 20 years depressed, anxious, and self-isolating is that pandemic times arent challenging. if i improve my social anxiety and start meeting people over zoom, thats a straight increase in quality of life. not like someone who was used to having a social life this whole time and now they get to not do that anymore

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

based on what I’ve heard from my friends who are in therapy, it only goes so far and in some cases it seems to be used as a tool for them to continue to prop up the systems that are causing the need or desire for therapy as “just something that cannot be controlled by you” and according to at least one friend, exist as a new and exciting way for the medical industry to siphon even more money from working class people

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
there are things you can control and things you can't. therapy should help you take action on the former and cope or accept the latter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you ask people on the internet, therapy is magic and unicorn farts.

I get in trouble telling them to gently caress off and saying I'm going with my doctor's opinion on my medical treatment instead of some random internet shitwit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

based on what I’ve heard from my friends who are in therapy, it only goes so far and in some cases it seems to be used as a tool for them to continue to prop up the systems that are causing the need or desire for therapy as “just something that cannot be controlled by you” and according to at least one friend, exist as a new and exciting way for the medical industry to siphon even more money from working class people

one of my wife's friends got therapy degree recently and her thesis was how much of therapy is centered around getting you back to work. like i know my brain sads are from chemicals or whatever cause i've been getting depression since childhood, but for how many folks is it just the crushing weight of having to pay to exist?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

prefect posted:

soviet russia did this w/ quartz lamps and fake beaches.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
cjs: i used to like writing documentation. Not! Any! More!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

post hole digger posted:

cjs: i used to like writing documentation. Not! Any! More!

Another petal drops off the sakura tree

matti
Mar 31, 2019

love technical communication

HATE the users

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if someone was actually able to lead a Dota team successfully and deal with gamelord bullshit, talk down tilted assholes, help their players figure out how to improve…like yeah what do you think management is

or do you mean he was screaming at people in vc and calling it leadership because if so lol

yeah i used to look down on people who talked about leading guilds in an MMO but with discord i've been able to watch some of my friends play that stuff out in real time and yeah.... that's a real leadership position. i mean just because you 'lead' a guild doesn't mean you were a good leader but if you can successfully run a guild that's as good as any other real leadership experience imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anybody asking about my multitasking skills should just watch me play three DAOC accounts at the same time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

reminder that you can verify time machine backups by holding option when you click the icon in your menu bar

probably a good idea to do this every so often

dunno how good their osx client is but i've been using duplicati for about half a year now and can vouch for it working pretty dang well

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also the more i hear about other people's experiences with mental healthcare the more i realize my experience was basically one in a million. my doc listened to me and sent me to a therapist first who was basically trying to determine if i was self-diagnosing / had other issues or really had what i thought was going on. after two months he said, 'yeah you don't really need my service anymore here's a list of psychs to talk to one of them can help you along'. then i went through the diagnosis stuff with the psych and took the diagnosis back to my doc and got my brain pills. whole process took about six months and i'm way waaaay better off than i was this time last year

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: end of year feedback/review was across the board "he continually tries to improve and change things, but is incredibly negative in doing so." i gotta find a better pitch than "this sucks we can make it better."

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
imo the issue with therapy is people approach it as if it fixes problems. it doesn't it mostly teaches you to cope with them. your brain isn't gonna produce the chemicals it needs properly outside of taking drugs. all you can do is learn to handle things when you start to spiral. it's not great but outside of getting into centuries of philosophy re: suffering and death it's the best you can do to change your mindset

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

born on a buy you posted:

cjs: end of year feedback/review was across the board "he continually tries to improve and change things, but is incredibly negative in doing so." i gotta find a better pitch than "this sucks we can make it better."

the key is focusing on the positives that will result from the changes rather than the current experienced negatives that are from not addressing whatever the issue is. if you focus on the positives anyone with two brain cells to rub together will be able to infer the current suckiness, and by dragging it out you can make people defensive or feel like they’re being judged without realizing it. even people who agree with you may feel like they want to avoid working with you because what if your critical eye turns towards them next

one of the best subtle flicks of the wrist i learned as a consultant is any time you have to critique something or someone you always give those responsible an ‘out’ that they can take to save face. like, ‘ok we’ve been using this system for a few years now and i understand why we use it the way we do, but i think it’s time we accept that our use cases have outgrown it and we need to establish some more hardened controls to help everyone’

this way the person(s) responsible for setting up said system in the first place don’t feel like they’re being attacked. in all likelihood they’re just as aware of the problem and were hoping someone else would point it out too! or- that system is their baby but your non-direct criticism may help them see that maybe it’s time to move on or even that their project has become a victim of its own success

you always catch more flies with honey and all that

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cold on a Cob posted:

there are things you can control and things you can't. therapy should help you take action on the former and cope or accept the latter.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

drat productive day again, for the job and otherwise. Feels good.

Truck should be sold and out of the way tomorrow and everything’s pointing to a smooth and successful aquavit run on Saturday. Expecting 8L of final product and going to head to the local home brew store for a 10L barrel to keep it in. Closer and closer to my dream of having an old-times cellar full of delicious stuff

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cjs: I think I logged more hours on tickets today than I did monday through wednesday. it's amazing how much more motivated you get when you see a big fat paystub in your inbox in the morning

born on a buy you posted:

yeah I still get this one every review pretty much but at this point it's like "well I've been here for six years so maybe things need to suck less and then I'll be more positive about them" and the bosses are like "hmm yeah that's fair but you're still a bit of a dick sometimes cmon man" lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

one of the best subtle flicks of the wrist i learned as a consultant is any time you have to critique something or someone you always give those responsible an ‘out’ that they can take to save face. like, ‘ok we’ve been using this system for a few years now and i understand why we use it the way we do, but i think it’s time we accept that our use cases have outgrown it and we need to establish some more hardened controls to help everyone’

giving outs is really big

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

anybody asking about my multitasking skills should just watch me play three DAOC accounts at the same time

i once clicked the wrong buttons on lichess and had to play 2 bullet chess games at the same time. i won one of them and drew the other. thats going on the resume

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Captain Foo posted:

giving outs is really big

for real. if something makes you unhappy, odds are it's not exactly thrilling other people, either- take that as an opportunity to laugh about it and empathize! people like that and it makes everything far more tolerable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this has done well by me too. im still plenty critical as imo it’s unhealthy to go full american wrt manners, but its trivial to grease criticism up with e.g. “you’ve built this system, how would you improve it to reach the new target”

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i once clicked the wrong buttons on lichess and had to play 2 bullet chess games at the same time. i won one of them and drew the other. thats going on the resume
You can finally get that job with the Hawaii missile alert system you've always been dreaming of.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ime the #1 thing I’ve seen stop people benefiting from therapy is being unwilling to do the work. therapy doesn’t fix poo poo. at best a therapist can suggest ways to fix yourself. it’s a lot of hard work and at the end of the process you’re a different person with a different life. the people I have seen succeed with therapy didn’t start because they were unhappy, they started because their life was. not. working. if you’re betting your life that you can fix yourself faster than the brain worms convince you to take a long walk off a short pier, that’s motivational

ymmv ofc but that is my perspective on what it takes for therapy to be effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ime the #1 thing I’ve seen stop people benefiting from therapy is being unwilling to do the work. therapy doesn’t fix poo poo. at best a therapist can suggest ways to fix yourself. it’s a lot of hard work and at the end of the process you’re a different person with a different life. the people I have seen succeed with therapy didn’t start because they were unhappy, they started because their life was. not. working. if you’re betting your life that you can fix yourself faster than the brain worms convince you to take a long walk off a short pier, that’s motivational

ymmv ofc but that is my perspective on what it takes for therapy to be effective

Ya know, I can't help but to flash back to a million times of being told I was lazy because my disease wouldn't get better, because I didn't put in the work.

Of course, I put in the work, it just didn't do anything because the problem was always physical damage that needed to be resolved first.

My life still doesn't work, but now therapy has been declared a bad idea by three psychiatrists, so there's that.