Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Any recommendations for an alternative to the Gmail app? I’m fed up with how choppy scrolling through messages is on it and they apparently refuse to fix it.

I use Spark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Spark is good. I miss Inbox :(

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i still use edison mail. i switched from spark at some point iirc but i forget why.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There is no good email app, it's a constant battle. I use Outlook but I'm not committed to it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Charles posted:

There's a 14.8 ipsw image on Apple's website still, so I'm trying that. Not sure how successful that will be.
edit: iTunes is stuck on "Preparing iPhone for software update", not sure how long I should wait on that. I wonder if the non-Windows Store version of iTunes is better. They appear to be identical though.
edit 2: yeah looks like it isn't signed :(
Yeah they stopped signing iOS 14 three months ago, check ipsw.me ahead of time and you can save yourself some effort

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Charles posted:

I only updated to get the vaccine card. Can't believe they couldn't make it work on 14 🙄 Android supports like a ten year old version lol

Yeah, especially considering that olds more more likely to be running a crummy old phone that can't or shouldn't go to 15.

ManSedan posted:

I just wish any maps app would let me set a geographic area to silence directions inside of. I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

Wow, this is a remarkably good idea.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Skeezy posted:

There is no good email app, it's a constant battle. I use Outlook but I'm not committed to it.

Gmail is

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem is that email is garbage tech. So any app that tries to provide you with email access has the cards stacked against it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If they can get Promotion to work in the emails view I’ll say it’s better.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

they didn't say gmail is good. they just said it is

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fix It posted:

Spark is good. I miss Mailbox :(

ftfy. Spark is ok I guess, but Mailbox was pretty much perfect

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mail.app is the best mail app on iOS and mail.app is not good

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like the built in mail app? :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The built in mail app is somewhat slow to refresh and doesn't fetch new emails instantly, that's my main issue with it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’d probably use Mail.app if it wasn’t so poo poo about refreshing in the background.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like the built in mail app? :shrug:

Yeah it’s perfect for me and always has been but maybe I don’t ask for much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A couple months ago I posted that I laundered my airpods and replaced them with some Gen 3's. I have now washed those too. Only this time I made sure to run them through the dryer as well. I am a smrt dood :downs:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you use Gmail, the default Mail app can not get data pushed to it for whatever reason, probably Google wanting you to use their app. So you can only have the phone fetch for new mail in 15 minute, 30 minute, or one hour intervals. If you're waiting on an email, for example, you'll have to continually open the app and refresh it. But then the Gmail app has been completely broken for quite some time. It was perfectly fine before it turned into a choppy mess.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think the default email app not getting push notifications for Gmail is a feature, and I'm not usually one of those posters ITT who bases their product preferences on what the current Apple Design is.

I do think that it is plausible that this could be Google forcing the lack of push notifications on Apple, but don't really know for sure.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 13, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Spark because it's pretty good about figuring out which emails I actually need to be notified about, which is, frankly, not many. Inbox was similar, but Google got rid of that. Mail.app just shits notifications for every shipping email and promotional whatever, and while I may want those emails, I never need to be notified about it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

silence_kit posted:

I think the default email app not getting push notifications for Gmail is a feature, and I'm not usually one of those posters ITT who bases their product preferences on what the current Apple Design is.

I do think that it is plausible that this could be Google forcing the lack of push notifications on Apple, but don't really know for sure.

mail.app doesn’t support push for any imap accounts. imap handles push by staying constantly connected to the mail server which would kill your battery life

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Google not letting stock mail app get push is absolutely a google decision. You used to be able to get push until Google made their iOS gmail app, way back when, and they changed it to push users toward their app/ads.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, especially considering that olds more more likely to be running a crummy old phone that can't or shouldn't go to 15.

Everything that supported iOS 13 runs 15, so there's very little reason not to be running it

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Google not letting stock mail app get push is absolutely a google decision. You used to be able to get push until Google made their iOS gmail app, way back when, and they changed it to push users toward their app/ads.

Wait, so it's just the Stock mail app not being able to get push? I thought it was only the Gmail.app that could get it. But it's Spark can also get push, then that's what I'm moving to.

And that is absolutely a dick move by Google.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can absolutely get get push notifications on Gmail. The issue is you'd need an intermediate server sitting between your phone and Gmail constantly pinging it for updates and then using the built in iOS notification system to pass along the info to you.

The issue is you'd need to trust that intermediate server to not skim your data.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Constantly looking for the perfect mail app is a project I’ve never understood. Maybe I’m an ignorant who miss out on something magical, but I don’t understand what’s wrong with Gmail or Outlook.

I’d argue that you’ll never end up satisfied if you’re always looking for new apps and new features, and that most people will be better off if they choose an app and stick with it (despite missing one or two features that might be nice to have).

It’s quite possible that I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gmail app is frustrating and baffling for the simple fact that scrolling though your email list is a nice smooth 120fps but as soon as you open an email it chugs down to 30 fps for some unknown reason.

It really makes no sense.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Works ok for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Works ok for me.

Oh and they also love to A/B test. I didn’t get dark mode Gmail for at least 6 months after it was rolled out.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

For email, I’ve found that the only thing that works PERFECTLY is Fastmail accounts used via mail.app

It is the only service where the push works perfectly, not just in putting a badge on the app when you get a new email, but also in background-refreshing the Inbox so it’s up to date when you open it.

Like, using say Spark with mail.app, it’ll push notifications fine, but when I actually open the app, there’s a brief delay while it updates the view from whatever it was last I opened it.

I find that incredibly annoying.

Gmail.app refreshes fine, but the app looks like poo poo on iOS and scrolling is weird and Gmail as a service has lost its way entirely the last few years (seriously, when did their spam detection go to hell? It still catches the obvious stuff right, but man does it love to false-positive on emails from addys that are in my contacts and that I’ve already marked Not Spam like dozens of times over the years already).

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

smr posted:

For email, I’ve found that the only thing that works PERFECTLY is Fastmail accounts used via mail.app

It is the only service where the push works perfectly, not just in putting a badge on the app when you get a new email, but also in background-refreshing the Inbox so it’s up to date when you open it.

Like, using say Spark with mail.app, it’ll push notifications fine, but when I actually open the app, there’s a brief delay while it updates the view from whatever it was last I opened it.

I find that incredibly annoying.

Gmail.app refreshes fine, but the app looks like poo poo on iOS and scrolling is weird and Gmail as a service has lost its way entirely the last few years (seriously, when did their spam detection go to hell? It still catches the obvious stuff right, but man does it love to false-positive on emails from addys that are in my contacts and that I’ve already marked Not Spam like dozens of times over the years already).

AFAIK the only services that get push email for apple mail are iCloud, Yahoo, and fastmail, and then anything that uses Exchange (hotmail/outlook included).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any deals around on AirPods? Mine are almost dead after almost three years I think.

I’d probably get the regular ones because I sometimes need to jam them in my pocket while I’m at work and they seem more durable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

Are there any deals around on AirPods? Mine are almost dead after almost three years I think.

I’d probably get the regular ones because I sometimes need to jam them in my pocket while I’m at work and they seem more durable.

I saw this today

smr
Dec 18, 2002

MrBond posted:

AFAIK the only services that get push email for apple mail are iCloud, Yahoo, and fastmail, and then anything that uses Exchange (hotmail/outlook included).

The weird thing is that iCloud itself works shittily with mail.app in terms of notifications and folder updates. The only one that works _perfectly_ is Fastmail w/mail.app, and I’ve tested this on many Apple devices and iOS versions over the years.

It’s really pretty weird. Now that iCloud supports using one’s own domain for email, I’d love to switch to it and drop one more subscription service, but I did a test run and I can read an email on my desktop and see the unread badge for that email not clear on my phone until I actually open mail.app on the phone as well. The push backend just… works for poo poo with iCloud itself. Somehow.

Fastmail nailed it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

icloud is just kind of lovely all around :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I mean, it's email. The whole protocol is poo poo because it's 50 years old now and insanely out of date.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Something this bums me out: when a text arrives and I have to swipe it down now to see it in full, it always takes like a half-second too long for it to load. You’d think with the super processors they have these days they’d prioritize making notifications a butter-smooth kinda thing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Anyone else having an issue in 15.2 where a lower power mode window in landscape mode will be half off the screen? Only option I had was accept low power mode or turn off the screen for a second and then swipe the app away (landscape only) before the notification comes back.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Something this bums me out: when a text arrives and I have to swipe it down now to see it in full, it always takes like a half-second too long for it to load. You’d think with the super processors they have these days they’d prioritize making notifications a butter-smooth kinda thing.

It’s the same thing with the camera sometimes. It’ll take a second or two too long too load. Not a huge deal usually but if you’re trying to take a quick shot it’s annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I got a pair of AirPods Max and honestly I'm shocked these aren't better received? Because they're freaking amazing. (Amazon has them on sale).