Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats right, greenpos is an abomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

there's this vast gulf between newbie UIs that emphasize discovery and guard rails and stuff and then expert UIs like clis and things like trading terminals and bridging that gap is really hard and no one does it, it's basically this usability bathtub curve

That big thing some years back when everyone discovered chatbots was neat because chatbots can do a pretty good job straddling that gap.

I saw this project a while ago that was bascially a CLI with a gui layered over it in what was basically intellisense for bash or whatever cli thing they were doing and i thought that was really good.

alexa straddles the gap between dumbass newbie ui and a cli. it's really bad lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

posited: blender has a good UI

software doing advanced tasks should be set up to make it streamlined for proficient users, not beginners

that said idk. I have an inkling I could be good at this and in fact want to, but who knows. certain yospos characters repeatedly make it clear that working in a job ruins everything.

agreed. blender is good now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

eeeehhh...

expert systems and interfaces people use all day to do complex tasks can easily suffer from "intuitive syndrome" where trying to make it easy makes it worse because it adds steps, this is true a lot in financial software where people just want it to be as much like excel as possible and it's not really possible to wizard up editing an accounting calendar or coupon schedule

yep, i think this is entirely right, *but* i also think that the methodology for how you design a ui for experts is even less understood than ux in general. i.e. lets say you know you get: a months onboarding with users, with courses, teaching materials, and accepted low output for that period; how do you then design the software and training to make the thing as quick and pleasant as use as possible after that month?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
can’t spell sux without ux

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the worst ux is linux

get it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yep, i think this is entirely right, *but* i also think that the methodology for how you design a ui for experts is even less understood than ux in general. i.e. lets say you know you get: a months onboarding with users, with courses, teaching materials, and accepted low output for that period; how do you then design the software and training to make the thing as quick and pleasant as use as possible after that month?

this is p much my job, we’re slowly porting an ancient srs business system to a modern ui. generally for what I work on the goals are to be flexible enough that our customers can still do the stupid things they demand to but not so much so they can actually break the incredibly expensive system in a nonrecoverable way

like we have a lot of discussions about whether something should even have an interface or just be an api since in a lot of cases it’s faster for the customer to write a few lines of sql than for us to make some over complex query builder ui. our current trend is to identify common tasks and can them in a really simple way that ignores the traditional one screen per object thing our current system does. also, to improve the smaller components that make up the really complex parts we can’t improve meaningfully. it’s interesting work because it’s so huge with so many moving parts but sometimes I feel like I’m trying to bail out the ocean since I’m a team of one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds sick

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

here is a picture of some labview data collection abomination designed by a mechanical engineer. it's not my photo so i don't know much about it, other than to say that in academia i have often had to use similar pieces of homespun labview software, and being forced to by your supervisor or professor should be considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm currently dealing with a poo poo ton of LabVIEW software designed and built by a mechanical engineer and it is a colossal mess. Not only is it in daq system (which sorta makes sense) but then the entire data processing chain is built in labview as well. Nothing works quite right and trying to dig into anything is a nightmare because it's all literal spaghetti code built by a single overworked employee with no formal software training.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Literally every website in the past 10 years.

Also, every mobile site.

Also, anything ever designed by someone who's experience is 'front end only'.

Also, literally everything wrapped in Electron, save Discord.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ham radio guy is here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

this bad ux cost citi $500 million lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
worst user experience i've had lately is reading all these bad posts!!! lmao.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh.. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Also, every mobile site.

sounds like you need to turn on your monitor

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Also, every mobile site.

discord is fukin terrible for the amount of use it sees

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
all voice assistants are hot garbage ux. they're like a CLI but it takes 5 seconds to spit out "syntax error" and there are no man pages and at least a cli will do nothing if you give it a bad command, but with voice sometimes you hear "idk how to do that" and sometimes it just does the wrong thing

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
more bad ux: pressing the windows key and typing to search has lag before it starts accepting input so if you don't wait a tick before typing, it's gonna miss the first letter and then when you hit enter, instead of opening vs code, it's gonna open a web search for odell beckham jr

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Whoever writes the CAD software I use for work has moved from prioritising efficient workflows to making everything look simpler and more welcoming, forgetting that this is a $$$$$/year bit of software, the users are all trained and we broadly dgaf what it looks like as long as it's quick.

Slowing me down by burying options three menus deep to make the first dialog box a bit smaller is a poo poo choice Siemens

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

more bad ux: pressing the windows key and typing to search has lag before it starts accepting input so if you don't wait a tick before typing, it's gonna miss the first letter and then when you hit enter, instead of opening vs code, it's gonna open a web search for odell beckham jr

this one gets me every day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

my
max book pro when you open it starts accepting text input immediately but it’s not actually ready for a password because a second later it resets the box and is then actually ready. so it’s very easy to type the first few letter of the password and then the end of the password into the box that actually works

ever since one particular update. used to work flawlessly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ableton is starting to feel very last gen with the way it does loads of things

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

related, i think people should have a bit of a sit down chat chat about how these DAW plugins should work because right now it's essentially just compuserve / AOL / tane. everything has to open in a separate completely madcap window that's utterly rando, usually either unusably abstract or unusably skeu and usually hilariously terrible that always draws you way, way out of the flow.

like take a look at how vcv rack (mostly) all the modules are all in universe and talking with each other in the same context and mutually interact-able. i'm not saying every plugin chain has to be as complicated as a modular setup that but it sure would be nice if we could take some of that good stuff. like what it worked like live tiles or something, where you could have different sizes of plugin interface panels in a 2D grid and there was a standard set of UI definitions that was colour-schemable rather than being just batshit anything each in its own little app

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

echinopsis posted:

yeah, still tho I way prefer its minimalist look to basically every other daw

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

cowboy beepboop posted:

this one gets me every day

Same, and even after its started accepting input the first result is sometimes garbage because ???

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zam Wesell posted:

yeah, still tho I way prefer its minimalist look to basically every other daw

directed acyclic wedgie

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when you ask siri something and it doesn’t get it, and then it tries to tell you how to use it every single time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we always and I mean daily, get prescriptions with an item or two missing. I know it’s missing because I can see what a person got last time and there’s something missing

when the doctor tho, if someone hasn’t clicked the box “regular med” on their software when they’re started a new med, and the doctor recalls regular medicines, it goes missing and doctor doesn’t know

if that person goes to a different pharmacy well then there’s no history and if the person isn’t very sharp they might not even notice the lack of medicine

the poor UI here literally breaks my heart and makes me fart

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

posited: blender has a good UI

software doing advanced tasks should be set up to make it streamlined for proficient users, not beginners

that said idk. I have an inkling I could be good at this and in fact want to, but who knows. certain yospos characters repeatedly make it clear that working in a job ruins everything.

Would you consider gimp to have a good UI?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'm back to bitch about LabVIEW ux. This is a graphical programming language that doesn't support zooming in and out. Want to be able to read the label on a function block or be able to tell which signal wire is actually routed to which input? Lol gently caress you, you either gotta get a magnifying glass or step down your monitor resolution.

There's a thread in the National Instruments user forum where the developers admit that the ability to zoom is one of their most requested features since 2004. Their reasoning started as "it would encourage bad programming habits to be able to zoom out" and eventually they admitted that their programming logic is too intertwined with the display code to do an easy update from raster to vector graphics. They implemented zoom into a separate programming suite that they were going to support in parallel with their main environment maybe 3 years ago. Of course they discontinued the new development environment within a couple of years so no more zoom. They say that now they're working on it.

tl:dr NI has been kicking the can down the road wrt the ability to zoom for almost two decades now. They spent years telling the users it's because they can't be trusted with it and we don't really need it. They eventually admit they don't want to do it because they don't have a proper boundary between their UI and business logic.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

national idiots, sounds like

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Wisest Moron posted:

I'm back to bitch about LabVIEW ux. This is a graphical programming language that doesn't support zooming in and out. Want to be able to read the label on a function block or be able to tell which signal wire is actually routed to which input? Lol gently caress you, you either gotta get a magnifying glass or step down your monitor resolution.

There's a thread in the National Instruments user forum where the developers admit that the ability to zoom is one of their most requested features since 2004. Their reasoning started as "it would encourage bad programming habits to be able to zoom out" and eventually they admitted that their programming logic is too intertwined with the display code to do an easy update from raster to vector graphics. They implemented zoom into a separate programming suite that they were going to support in parallel with their main environment maybe 3 years ago. Of course they discontinued the new development environment within a couple of years so no more zoom. They say that now they're working on it.

tl:dr NI has been kicking the can down the road wrt the ability to zoom for almost two decades now. They spent years telling the users it's because they can't be trusted with it and we don't really need it. They eventually admit they don't want to do it because they don't have a proper boundary between their UI and business logic.

i used labview in college and it was really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i took this screenshot from a cms I had to use at my first job out of college in like 2004.