Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hadn't realized apple has seen the light and implemented live tiles. the siri suggestions widget is a bit rough an implementation, but does show they have the right idea

(genuinely one of my favorite features i didn't expect to be good coming back to ios, also marks the first time an anticipating-a-need feature has ever been good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i gotta say whatever witchcraft they use to populate that has worked really well for me and has been app agnostic in terms of just figuring out who i message where

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

i gotta say whatever witchcraft they use to populate that has worked really well for me and has been app agnostic in terms of just figuring out who i message where

yeah, i am unironically very impressed with it. small but important stuff, paired my headphones for a walk and rather than my last used media app it showed the battery level of the headphones (entirely correctly predicting that it was too low for a pleasant length walk), inspired the post by reminding me that i had not responded to a message from a friend yet. that kind of thing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the … widget is a bit rough an implementation, but does show they have the right idea

Sounds like a widget to me.

Edit: I guess some don’t get the idea right either.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m disappointed in how few apps have widgets, even apple owned stuff like dark sky doesn’t

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios widgets suck cause they're stuck dealing with the lovely icon layout of ios where so much space is wasted. live tiles were way better

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

I’m disappointed in how few apps have widgets, even apple owned stuff like dark sky doesn’t

yeah, dark sky has a legacy widget but I think it didn't get an update since they're slowly rolling it into weather.app with a decommission eoy 2022

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just give me the ui of a 1999 smartphone with QWERTY for texting and free me from this hellish smartphone existence

posted from my iPhone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh pretty much all ux in ios is worse than last time i used it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

qirex posted:

this is kind of the crazier thing for me. its been a year or so and the widget selection is still pretty dire.

my #1 widget complaint though is how you cant loving control music from either the apple music or spotify widgets. like you can literally already do this on the lockscreen why can't you just have that, but on the regular phone?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
widgets aren't supposed to handle user input. just ignore the apple ones which do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is kind of the crazier thing for me. its been a year or so and the widget selection is still pretty dire.

my #1 widget complaint though is how you cant loving control music from either the apple music or spotify widgets. like you can literally already do this on the lockscreen why can't you just have that, but on the regular phone?

it's a good question, but i can't imagine a situation where i'm staring at the home screen and would need to control those. i'm either on the lock screen where there's controls or in an app where i can pull down the control panel. idk maybe i'm not very creative, and i agree with your greater point that it's strange

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Endless Mike posted:

it's a good question, but i can't imagine a situation where i'm staring at the home screen and would need to control those. i'm either on the lock screen where there's controls or in an app where i can pull down the control panel. idk maybe i'm not very creative, and i agree with your greater point that it's strange

i ride bikes everywhere and so just having it on every screen would be my preferred behavior.

i even set up my fitness focus to something that would be perfect…. if any of the loving buttons worked instead of launching the app directly to a playlist

those google maps buttons are loving useless

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

v good setup and i dig the bonezone logo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i ride bikes everywhere and so just having it on every screen would be my preferred behavior.

i even set up my fitness focus to something that would be perfect…. if any of the loving buttons worked instead of launching the app directly to a playlist

what in the gently caress is that lol

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Last Chance posted:

what in the gently caress is that lol

wallpaper

pretty sneaky sis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

just give me the ui of a 1999 smartphone with QWERTY for texting and free me from this hellish smartphone existence

posted from my iPhone

i would literally use an apple peek version of an iphone that had a web browser, email, imessage, and nfc. i'd give up nfc if it worked fine with the watch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if apple ever does the needful and puts proper smart pins on the back of the iphone there's going to be a glorious resurgence of physical iphone keyboards

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

:sickos:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean thats 100% of the functionality id need while on the go.

i unironically love focus modes and its been super useful for me. they definitely need a v2 because you can only do the one fitness mode that turns on with workouts but id love to have a different screen for an outdoor walk vs bike

also after 3 loving years boston finally has bike directions?¿?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

if apple ever does the needful and puts proper smart pins on the back of the iphone there's going to be a glorious resurgence of physical iphone keyboards

they will never do that now that waterproofing is an iPhone feature

maybe if the physical keyboard can work over lightning or bluetooth

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MagSafe Bluetooth keyboard

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

mediaphage posted:

i would literally use an apple peek version of an iphone that had a web browser, email, imessage, and nfc. i'd give up nfc if it worked fine with the watch

rip blackberry curve

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

they will never do that now that waterproofing is an iPhone feature

maybe if the physical keyboard can work over lightning or bluetooth

yeah yeah

Bored Online posted:

rip blackberry curve

dont forget the passport

my friend was given one of these at her government job. honestly it looked p nice to read on but it felt enormous because of the aspect ratio

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it functioned like absolute trash

the interface was awful to actually use, the gestures were weird and inconsistent, and it would poo poo itself on a regular basis if you actually tried to use apps

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:yosnice:

bonus points for the coheed

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also i cannot stress how good focus modes are. i ignore the poo poo out of things frequently now and am better for it.

the real answer is to uninstall poo poo but part of my job duties is social media strategy so im hosed.

im the most annoyed by the “just in case you missed it” alerts. gently caress you app if im not responding to a direct message dont loving bother me. instagram looooves to push garbage alerts and i just kind of hate this whole MAXIMUM ENGAGEMENT culture

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
have you considered paying money to another human being to make it their problem?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

thats the dream, yes. i work at a scrappy nonprofit lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, well best of luck. i hope that becomes a possibility at some point

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i am ideally trying to pay some high schoolers to tiktok for me in the spring because i just do not have it in me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's just an internship/co-op depending on how formal you want to get about it. at least they know the territory

if you're paying them you're already at the top of the pile

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

yeah yeah

dont forget the passport

my friend was given one of these at her government job. honestly it looked p nice to read on but it felt enormous because of the aspect ratio

kept for just the occasion

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a bright yellow case on my phone, and i often stick it in my shirt pocket while i am walking around the classroom. one of my students, a goth girl who talks like daria, told me once in a complete deadpan "it looks like you have a slice of american cheese in your pocket."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you should keep a kraft single behind it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he does. he didn't have his phone in his pocket when she said that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

i have a bright yellow case on my phone, and i often stick it in my shirt pocket while i am walking around the classroom. one of my students, a goth girl who talks like daria, told me once in a complete deadpan "it looks like you have a slice of american cheese in your pocket."

lol rekt

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Sagebrush posted:

"Hello class today we're going to begin a six week study the cult classic MTV television series 'Daria', a series so old and well known that cosplaying as the titular character would have been considered trite decades ago. We'll deconstruct her various psychological hangups and try and discover why, while claiming to be intelligent, she has created a hell for herself and anyone who could possibly care about her."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
And then everyone stood up and clapped