Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Ya know, I can't help but to flash back to a million times of being told I was lazy because my disease wouldn't get better, because I didn't put in the work.

Of course, I put in the work, it just didn't do anything because the problem was always physical damage that needed to be resolved first.

My life still doesn't work, but now therapy has been declared a bad idea by three psychiatrists, so there's that.

yeah that’s the other thing if your problem is organic or environmental then what’s therapy gonna do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the key is focusing on the positives that will result from the changes rather than the current experienced negatives that are from not addressing whatever the issue is. if you focus on the positives anyone with two brain cells to rub together will be able to infer the current suckiness, and by dragging it out you can make people defensive or feel like they’re being judged without realizing it. even people who agree with you may feel like they want to avoid working with you because what if your critical eye turns towards them next

one of the best subtle flicks of the wrist i learned as a consultant is any time you have to critique something or someone you always give those responsible an ‘out’ that they can take to save face. like, ‘ok we’ve been using this system for a few years now and i understand why we use it the way we do, but i think it’s time we accept that our use cases have outgrown it and we need to establish some more hardened controls to help everyone’

this way the person(s) responsible for setting up said system in the first place don’t feel like they’re being attacked. in all likelihood they’re just as aware of the problem and were hoping someone else would point it out too! or- that system is their baby but your non-direct criticism may help them see that maybe it’s time to move on or even that their project has become a victim of its own success

you always catch more flies with honey and all that

good post, i should be applying many of these things

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neither "get into dialectical therapy" nor "no, see a psychiatrist and get drugs" as a single solution to mental health are ever going to work, in the same way that "talk to a gastroenterologist" is not the universal correct answer to "my insides hurt."

some people don't have a chemical imbalance in their head, and just need a professional talker to help them talk through their situation.

some people don't need to figure anything out, and just have a chemical brain situation that needs to be balanced in order to get better.

some people need both, or some of each in variable amounts.

the existence of one of these situations does not invalidate the experiences of people in the others!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
fwiw my mental health journey started with a psychiatrist, who then more or less explained why a therapist would make perfect sense for me too. so just take the plunge into mental health if you're mentally unwell, and figure things out from there, and DEFINITELY do NOT be afraid to bail ASAP if either the psych or therapist is unsupportive (or you just dont mesh with them, it's a two-way street)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I saw a psych and wasn't a risk to myself or anyone so I got shunted onto disability instead of long term care

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

idk i just got given sertraline that i keep forgetting to take

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've been in the lovely cracks of the system for awhile so I need to see how to get HRT. it's informed consent here, but that doesn't matter when I don't know who to talk to and everyone is dying of covid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

the existence of one of these situations does not invalidate the experiences of people in the others!

but... what if it did? makes you think.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not all that hard, no.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

neither "get into dialectical therapy" nor "no, see a psychiatrist and get drugs" as a single solution to mental health are ever going to work, in the same way that "talk to a gastroenterologist" is not the universal correct answer to "my insides hurt."

some people don't have a chemical imbalance in their head, and just need a professional talker to help them talk through their situation.

some people don't need to figure anything out, and just have a chemical brain situation that needs to be balanced in order to get better.

The chemical imbalance theory is basically just speculation (we don't actually understand how brains work or how brain drugs work at all)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

sagebrush tell me what dialectical means

I am literally gatekeeping you here

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hopefully it's Marxist therapy because that would be cool

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Hopefully it's Marxist therapy because that would be cool

sagebrush is a smart boy who can fly planes and explain to me what that means, I'm sure

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is hegel erasure

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also is it true I can't have nicotine on HRT

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't know smoka you should ask someone else

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't know smoka you should ask someone else

I'll ask the forum where people are on HRT

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i always remember that the stated goal of freudian therapy is something like "to transform unbearable despair into commonplace unhappiness" or something like that

therapy doesn't make you all better it just sorta helps you cope better. At least thats the way it was with me. I went from "I am seriously gonna loving lose it" to "yeah work sucks but whatcha gonna do" and i think that's probably about the best you can hope for.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'll ask the forum where people are on HRT
Bitch you already in the 'pos we run this place

Okay! Thing 1 is an increased risk of blood clots which absolutely does not apply to the estradiol you'll get
Thing 2 is that it might—might—block estrogen receptors and slow feminization, but my tits and nuts and butt disagree.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Bitch you already in the 'pos we run this place

Okay! Thing 1 is an increased risk of blood clots which absolutely does not apply to the estradiol you'll get
Thing 2 is that it might—might—block estrogen receptors and slow feminization, but my tits and nuts and butt disagree.

I'm literally mormon style except nicotine and weed, so I was wondering lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRblYfKwa88

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
alright this apartment is loving cursed holy poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I turned off my music to do something and heard someone loving the plastic outside, and it wasn't a crackhead there's nobody

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

sagebrush tell me what dialectical means

I am literally gatekeeping you here

dialectical means having to do with the discussion of ideas in a logical framework.

i.e. "dialectical therapy" means "therapy where you talk about why things are happening the way they are."

dialectical behavioral therapy is a specific therapeutic technique, but in my earlier post i meant to describe all forms of therapy that involve talking with someone and reasoning through your experiences, not just DBT specifically.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I turned off my music to do something and heard someone loving the plastic outside, and it wasn't a crackhead there's nobody

what the gently caress someone was on that plastic

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
someone was loving with that plastic, lifting it up or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, you right the first time. probably ghosts

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

no, you right the first time. probably ghosts

that's fuckin freaky, I just went and checked and there are no crackheads in the stairway

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it sounded like someone shook that plastic like a sheet, and I'm very aware of crackheads in this building

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if you didnt see any crackheads in the stairway, maybe its you?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

if you didnt see any crackheads in the stairway, maybe its you?

I've been living here for years, I know all the noises this place can make

matti
Mar 31, 2019

could be just paranoia, it happens when you are stressed out

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's midnight so it was either a crackhead or a ghost and I just went and looked for crackheads lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the ghost of a crackhead, perhaps

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

that plastic is like shopping bag plastic, it makes a big noise lmao.

my neighbors apartment is loving cursed no wonder the pipes burst

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

spectral hands all trying to steal the pipes and failing because they just phase right through when they try to get a grip

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYs87-kDXwg

when I go get my mail lmao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Am I a ghost?
Or am I a crackhead? (am I a crackhead)
If I'm a crackhead,
Then I'm a very ghosty crackhead

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that plastic is like shopping bag plastic, it makes a big noise lmao.

my neighbors apartment is loving cursed no wonder the pipes burst

some dipshit down the hall from me put his lunch box on a hot stove element when he was making breakfast one morning and set off the sprinklers. they had to rip out the walls in there and in the apartment below his and there's still that same fuckin plastic floor covering all through the halls right now two months later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

some dipshit down the hall from me put his lunch box on a hot stove element when he was making breakfast one morning and set off the sprinklers. they had to rip out the walls in there and in the apartment below his and there's still that same fuckin plastic floor covering all through the halls right now two months later

a couple years ago I posted about a guy dying in that apartment next to me, and now that apartment had a pipe flooding.poo poo is cursed forever