Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I always loved the niche end of photography, I did a bunch of 360º bubble walkthroughs when they were a brand new thing - made back the cash I put down for the 180º lens, the modal tripod head and leveling widget, and probably could have spun it off into more returns if I wasn't so chained by inertia. Of course you can make them with simple kit and a days training for real estate, its the 'money for shovels' tail end of that particular market now.

This made me :eyepop: when I saw it the other day though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAr7SbVGBg

perfect 180º SBS 3D video direct to your CF Card without needing a giant hollywood rig.

also a pic; sometimes just snapping stuff behind the scenes / during downtime can get you an all-time favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

incredible shot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not that anyone gives a gently caress but my rating system is like this

rate images 4 if they're good enough and 5 if they're standout. anything blurry or blinking gets an x and rejected. I don't know what to do with the remainders yet. hd isn't yet full

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I did a bunch of 360º bubble walkthroughs when they were a brand new thing

hm, I found the old project code (never throw anything away, folks) but it's all Flash-based for the rendering & controls, so I don't think you can even host / view it in a browser any more? Adobe's Flashviewer tool let me at least capture this for posterity though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POIvPJajSBI

but its a shame you can't control the view and explore yourselves.

(venue is the then-brand-new Maggie's Center at Freeman Hospital - The FH has the regions big Oncology department just over the road and the Maggies is a welcoming space for patients to chill and take some down time. Did this as a freebie, wouldn't ask for a payment)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh this dude entertains me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ8VodC19-g

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone today who used to shoot real photos for money told me they thought my photography was good and morons make money taking way worse photos that I do so maybe I should just start charging money and see what happens

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

do wedding photography

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
budget wedding photography

thats a big committment. I am confident enough now to feel like I won't waste someone's time, but no not confident enough to be trusted with such an event

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

someone today who used to shoot real photos for money told me they thought my photography was good and morons make money taking way worse photos that I do so maybe I should just start charging money and see what happens

right on dude!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what can go wrong

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

budget wedding photography

thats a big committment. I am confident enough now to feel like I won't waste someone's time, but no not confident enough to be trusted with such an event

by the end of the wedding everyone is way too fuckin smashed to be able to tell if a photo is just good or the best thing ever committed to film

go ham, my bro

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

what can go wrong

if its crap, just pay for them to have the wedding again as insurance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

by the end of the wedding everyone is way too fuckin smashed to be able to tell if a photo is just good or the best thing ever committed to film

go ham, my bro

huh. pretty sure I’m not shooting photos of the service to show to the people at the reception? is that a thing

fart simpson posted:

if its crap, just pay for them to have the wedding again as insurance

i didn’t mean weddings lmao. imagine getting married and then echi takes a picture of you

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
god drat don’t do weddings. they are so much loving work, way way more than you’re anticipating and oh god the pressure to produce good results can be a lot. and it’s like a 12 hour day. I’ve done three or four and never again.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

doing weddings is the “i like computers, i should get a job in IT” of photography. you will never enjoy it again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i like drugs, i should be a pharmacist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

scottch posted:

god drat don’t do weddings. they are so much loving work, way way more than you’re anticipating and oh god the pressure to produce good results can be a lot. and it’s like a 12 hour day. I’ve done three or four and never again.

gently caress im not doing weddings jesus lol

polyester concept posted:

doing weddings is the “i like computers, i should get a job in IT” of photography. you will never enjoy it again

but I am trying to do this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

go ham, my bro

uh, pretty sure they're sober by the time the proofs come back, and then the bride gets to decide that you ruined the most important day of her life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s a reason photographers charge double their rate for weddings. it’s also what keeps most professional photographers in business

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

find local wedding photographers in your area, cold call them with your portfolio, and see if they're looking for assistants. the better ones don't do it solo. if you enjoydon't hate it enough to do it on the reg, leverage the experience into independent gigs

polyester concept posted:

yah that's why it's the division between a hobby and a job op. the job version uses the same skills, it just ain't fun

when i did a lot of photography i did concert photos cause it was (a) stuff i was going to anyway (b) a fun change of pace that meant i wasnt just listening to the set for 45m straight and (c) guaranteed to have no commercial potential whatsoever, because indie musicians have no money whatsoever. this let it still be fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if far rather get paid for photography than dealing with old people because getting paid to deal with old people really has sapped the joy out of it

when you first meet an old person they’re nice but it’s only a short matter of time if they’re in the entitled boomer majority when something doesn’t quite go their way and yeah I’ve just lost the joy since getting paid to listen to their poo poo

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 14, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a dream of mine is one day use a lens too heavy to hold

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c camera s: apparently my local London Drugs still has a 1-hour 35mm photo lab. might have to go get myself an SLR or something to shoot some film with

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

c camera s: apparently my local London Drugs still has a 1-hour 35mm photo lab. might have to go get myself an SLR or something to shoot some film with

I am surprised they are still offering it. Back in 2014 they were the last drug store photo lab operating in canada and I used them to develop a roll here or there. even back then it was too expensive for anything other than the novelty. everywhere else will mail it out somewhere.

be warned though that they don't do the traditional analog RA-4 minilab process for prints anymore - they do a digital scan and print it like any other digital photo. The LD I went to had the worst digital scans imaginable, DNR'd to death and all the detail was turned into mush. and then they charge you extra for the digital files, which were complete garbage.

and if you don't ask, they might throw away your negatives.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 24, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

when you find out how much film costs now you may want to look into a better lab

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m curious how the dynamic range of modern sensors compare to that of film

recently learned that one feature of film is that images will have lower contrast, usually anyway, spose depends on the film, but this seems reasonable considering they have a high dynamic range and it’s the only way to observe a high dynamic range is low contrast

I find contrast one of the hardest to nail subjective edits of a shot. I’ll increase it a bit and think yep that’s good, but then decrease it and think nah that’s better, then increase it again and think nah now I’ve hit the spot, and it’s like whatever I change it to looks better than before. idk it’s so utterly subjective to me in a way compared to exposure, I can normally find an exposure I am happy with quickly and leave it at that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

digital sensors are measurably better than film in pretty much every way but people don't always want the most hyperreal image and the "character" of film is something all the digital companies spend tons of time on [especially since only like 3 companies make all the sensors everyone uses]

in practice you can make an image look however you want but the film ~experience~ appeals to a lot of people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Modern digital sensors objectively have more dynamic range than film, but like vinyl records versus CDs, some people like the effects you get with the analog medium better. Film and digital are both linear and comparable in the middle of their range, but at the extremes film experiences reciprocity failure and kind of rolls off in a way that's different from digital clipping. Compare an overdriven analog tube amp to an overdriven digital signal. Neither one is more "correct," but the analog one might sound more pleasant.

Also digital is better at capturing detail in deep shadows and film has better handling of blown highlights, but you probably knew that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the way that values clip at the top of the range is where I kind of got inspired for the principle behind that led code of mine, but in a very hosed up way

I really like the idea of 3d luts because they should in theory be able to take the digital data, as long as it’s not clipped, and replicate the way film deals with highlights, including if it creates colour shifts. but if there are light bleeding effects in film which I believe there are, that’d require a bloom like filter which I am still in search for (a bloom filter that works with high dynamic range stills and has a shoulder not a threshold)

I enjoy the post shooting process as much as shooting so I shoot raw, straight to jpeg would take half my enjoyment away.

and whenever I take any raw image into photoshop or affinity photo it makes me “develop” it before using it so you can’t really play around with the high dynamic range, at least well maybe Im just too stupid to work out how to.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The two best film stocks available right now are fuji 400h (no longer available in 35mm, only medium format) and kodak portra 400. you can reliably over or under expose these films by 2 or 3 stops, but you really need a good quality scanner to pull out the detail. this page has some good examples of what it can look like. a consumer scanner won't look this good http://canadianfilmlab.com/2014/04/24/film-stock-and-exposure-comparisons-kodak-portra-and-fuji/

at 35mm it will look pretty bad, though. mostly everyone who uses this film in a "professional" sense uses them in medium format to reduce apparent noise. and consumer grade film stocks will do way worse, obviously. you can still buy a 3-pack of kodak gold 400 at walmart for like $16 in canada, which is not bad. portra 400 is like $10+ per roll.

there was a time when digital sensors weren't as good as film but that's absolutely a thing of the past.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 24, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

echinopsis posted:

and whenever I take any raw image into photoshop or affinity photo it makes me “develop” it before using it so you can’t really play around with the high dynamic range, at least well maybe Im just too stupid to work out how to.

the "develop" stage is moving the image from bayer pattern into RGB, after which you lose the ability to do certain things but you shouldn't necessarily lose dynamic range. adobe lets you click the format text at the bottom of the window and bring the image data into Photoshop as 16-bit fixed point (the default is 8) which should be able to preserve the full range of any camera raw, assuming you don't wildly blow it out.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
this might not be the right thread for this, but how do y'all (americans) buy lenses?

i ordered a telephoto one from bonanza and it was cheap and worked out fine but it took like 2 actual months to arrive. I've been thinking about buying a faster, wider lens for dim/indoor shots but every time i try i get analysis paralysis because there are so many different places to buy lenses and i don't know what i'm doing

i wish my local economy was functioning as well as echhi's because renting lenses sounds fun as heck

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I ordered a lens adapter in november and it arrived today.

I didn’t know lens rental was a thing until recently, sure gear rental exists where you do?

[quote="josh04" post="into Photoshop as 16-bit fixed point (the default is 8) which should be able to preserve the full range of any camera raw, assuming you don't wildly blow it out.
[/quote]

yeah I need to look into this. well. it’s hardly important but it’s fun

right now I need to find a better portrait lens. my gear rental dude has loaned out the lenses I wanted, 85mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/2

might have to get a 70-200 for the time being.

I have a small handful of people lined up to shoot in the near future but without a good lens obv that’s gonna be a bummer

also need to think seriously about a light. I seriously prefer natural light but last shoot I did there’s some nice shots that would be great shots if there was more light on the subject. not all but some of them. but .. that also seriously changes the vibe of the photoshoot too, toward something I am not trying to achieve necessarily, so idk. might try to rent something and see if it meshes with my style. never used external lights before.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if anyone cares for any reason https://instagram.com/wavefrontphotographynz

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

buy a cheapy Yongnuo flash compatible with whatever system you have, a 5-meter flash sync cable that will fit the flash-head and your camera, a monopod or folding lightstand*, a cold-shoe threaded flash holder to go on top of the monopod / lightstand, and a shoot-through umbrella. You can get all this hella cheap, and it will be a good learning tool.

I've known a bunch of photogs who proclaim they are 'natural light only' shooters and everyone knows that actually means 'won't learn / are scared of trying flash'

*the lightstand you can plonk down with the cold shoe, brolly and flash head on as a one-man shoot, but if you swap the lightstand for a monopod you can get an assistant to VAL (Voice Activated Lightstand) for you and move your lighting without having to stop and move your lightstand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the advice. I’ve been looking at some of that yongnuo gear and looks very cost effective.

I’m not really a fan of photography that is obviously artificially lit, but I guess there’s a lot of stuff that is subtly lit that keeps the natural look, and I suppose I need to be able to do this for when the sun isn’t doing what I want where and when I want

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the quality of light you get out of a non-direct flash is lightyears better than natural light in 99% of indoor situations. I wish it wasn't weird as gently caress to set up a bounce flash at every family event I go to where i usually take candids. i mean, people always appreciate when I send them cute photos of their kids and pets but it's certainly distracting to be firing a flash all the time.

everyone thinks with a flash you'll get that terry richardson deer in headlights look, or something super artificial or staged, but a single flash bounced off a wall or ceiling just looks so good and way better than whatever lovely LEDs people have in their house.

the strobist lighting 101 guide is often a recommended read https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html the first time you try it out and see the result on your rear LCD it's like :aaaaa:, so exciting and rewarding.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 25, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah absolutely. I can imagine why it’s awkward lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

the way that values clip at the top of the range is where I kind of got inspired for the principle behind that led code of mine, but in a very hosed up way

I really like the idea of 3d luts because they should in theory be able to take the digital data, as long as it’s not clipped, and replicate the way film deals with highlights, including if it creates colour shifts. but if there are light bleeding effects in film which I believe there are, that’d require a bloom like filter which I am still in search for (a bloom filter that works with high dynamic range stills and has a shoulder not a threshold)

I enjoy the post shooting process as much as shooting so I shoot raw, straight to jpeg would take half my enjoyment away.

this sounds like what they call convolution in audio gear. is it the same thing?