Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Penisface posted:

iirc the modern antivax thing was heavily instigated by some massive rear end in a top hat british doctor called andrew wakefield, around 20 years ago. that one guy's shitfit has been amplified through the right wing bullshit machine is having incredible detrimental effects on global health at the moment

There was a book from the thirties called Back to Eden that got super popular in the late sixties and early seventies which was hugely antivax and anti medicine in general, and inspired hippies to do dumb things like stick fruit up their asses to cure cancer. It was still a pretty niche thing until the past year of politicians and news guys who are vaccinated and boosted started telling their tribe that actually vaccinations are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Penisface posted:

iirc the modern antivax thing was heavily instigated by some massive rear end in a top hat british doctor called andrew wakefield, around 20 years ago. that one guy's shitfit has been amplified through the right wing bullshit machine is having incredible detrimental effects on global health at the moment

yeah it was wakefield and a number of celebrities. but mostly it was because vaccines work so well we collectively forgot how much suffering used to happen without them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It was still a pretty niche thing until the past year of politicians and news guys who are vaccinated and boosted started telling their tribe that actually vaccinations are bad.

it was older than that, the wakefield thing caused a lot of measles outbreaks in the 2000s and 2010s

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what kind of fruit

Apr 7, 2003

I know about that book because my dad was a big believer in it. He got brain cancer, tried to treat it with colloidal silver, and died at 46. whoops!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
its funny that the internet has made everyone feel like an expert about everything and then they make the stupidest decisions and die

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rich was right about one thing, the internet really does make you stupid

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

what kind of fruit

ask stebe lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

rich was right about one thing, the internet really does make you stupid

credit where credit is due

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I know about that book because my dad was a big believer in it. He got brain cancer, tried to treat it with colloidal silver, and died at 46. whoops!

did he turn blue/grey?

from the colloidal silver, not being dead

Apr 7, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

did he turn blue/grey?

from the colloidal silver, not being dead

I don’t remember, he was always sorta weird looking

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dying a smurf to own the libs

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a true forward thinker, just like jobs

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

haveblue posted:

yeah it was wakefield and a number of celebrities. but mostly it was because vaccines work so well we collectively forgot how much suffering used to happen without them

it was older than that, the wakefield thing caused a lot of measles outbreaks in the 2000s and 2010s

wakefield was on a fuckin grift. it wasn't "vaccines cause autism" it's "trivalent MMR is bad" because coincidentally he was flogging a single dose measles vax.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Incredibly that fuckhead Wakefield is now banging Elle McPherson who is apparently another antivax moron.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

prison guards: the people too dumb to even be cops

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1481112953596297216

one of my mom's friends is married to a prison guard who somehow shot himself in the rear end on duty lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Incredibly that fuckhead Wakefield is now banging Elle McPherson who is apparently another antivax moron.

wikipedia claims that ended a few years ago.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of my mom's friends is married to a prison guard who somehow shot himself in the rear end on duty lol

There was a story about prison swat people a while where they brought in non lethal grenades from outside and used them on prison personal in a drill.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN23P3A7

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I had these old blurry pictures from the London science museum somewhere on a hard drive:

They're essentially the same complaints as in modern time, but from the 1871.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

your camera needs glasses

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/ucmerced/status/1481695058470576130

dashboard for modeling covid outbreaks based on monitoring your poasts

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
soon there will be legislation to hide that wastewater data as "critical to our infrastructure security" or something

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

soon there will be legislation to hide that wastewater data as "critical to our infrastructure security" or something

the sewers out of the pentagon, white house and congress, etc. are classified/protected, probably to prevent people from doing drug testing on it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

qirex posted:

the sewers out of the pentagon, white house and congress, etc. are classified/protected, probably to prevent people from doing drug testing on it

see, we already know this sort of data is of paramount national interest.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

yep for four years some secret service dudes had to consistently collect donald trumps pee and poo lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

yep for four years some secret service dudes had to consistently collect donald trumps pee and poo lol
the presidential toilets were just plumbed directly to fox news hq

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just lolled remembering how he tried to requisition an art from the guggenheim museum and they declined but offered him a solid gold toilet instead

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/reillyrick/status/1116851116723986432

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

just lolled remembering how he tried to requisition an art from the guggenheim museum and they declined but offered him a solid gold toilet instead

i would have taken the toilet.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if you decline the opportunity to take a poo poo on a solid gold toilet we are not the same.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

if you decline the opportunity to take a poo poo on a solid gold toilet we are not the same.

Isn’t gold kind of soft? Like if you spent a lot of time posting would you wear a little spot for yourself?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's a feature, the gold toilet eventually conforms to your rear end print like a leather shoe

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

tk posted:

Isn’t gold kind of soft? Like if you spent a lot of time posting would you wear a little spot for yourself?

i think you need to eat more? less? fiber

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the story of the solid gold toilet is longer and cooler than I remembered

it was a fully functional toilet that weighed 227 pounds. when it was in the guggenheim it was hooked up to the plumbing and open to public use, and so popular they had to post a security guard to manage the bathroom line

then it was loaned to a museum in the UK, where it was promptly stolen. several people were arrested but none of them were charged and the toilet was never found. it was most likely melted back down into the $4-6 million worth of gold it was made from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_(Cattelan)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Kenny Logins posted:

the presidential toilets were just plumbed directly to fox news hq

the hard part was making the pipes bidirectional

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is one of the funnier ones.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

haveblue posted:

the story of the solid gold toilet is longer and cooler than I remembered

it was a fully functional toilet that weighed 227 pounds. when it was in the guggenheim it was hooked up to the plumbing and open to public use, and so popular they had to post a security guard to manage the bathroom line

then it was loaned to a museum in the UK, where it was promptly stolen. several people were arrested but none of them were charged and the toilet was never found. it was most likely melted back down into the $4-6 million worth of gold it was made from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_(Cattelan)

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Andre__Damon/status/1482069977826009092

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

probably found out they were going to overflow a counter somewhere on their tracking software.