Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like the closest thing i can find in the replies to someone not ripping on Liefeld or NFT's or both is this confused old man who wandered in:

https://twitter.com/oldmanDavid1/status/1481766888019357699

and even he doesn't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m always glad when a new opportunity comes to dunk on liefeld

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the funniest thing about the idea of games implementing nfts is that any implementation of it will almost absolutely need to be "centralized", since you can't very well mandate that every copy of the game also include a complete history of the buttchain

and of course, on consoles, even if you wanted to you're likely not going to be able to save that data in a shared space accessible by other games

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boxturret posted:

just imagine being an indie developer making your first game and before you can even do anything you are required to set it up so that it can accept every nft gun and hat and car ever made, otherwise absolutely no one will touch your game

if your serious milsim doesn't support my borderlands bouncing-rocket-shotgun then you don't support freedom

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
just think of the poor guys making text adventure games:cry:

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
Zork & Mint-fee

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

filthy regex posted:

Zork & Mint-fee

Dimwit Flathead would be hugely into NFTs.

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
https://mobile.twitter.com/AssociatedPress/status/1480580735144800266

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomatoGr...%5Es1_&ref_url=

where do you even start

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is some prime "using my likeness" takedown material lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/metacock/status/1481865303059746818

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hash tag nf tartist

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

karasu posted:

where do you even start

:murder:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gonna buy this guy's voice

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/1481869350621437955
https://twitter.com/VoiceverseNFT/status/1479998311650426886

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
you can hate or you can create :smug: hashtag nft drop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
imagine this thing that does not exist and would not be in anyway enabled by the thing i'm selling

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can talk in voices, it's true.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
like a decal/spray would be somewhat reasonable to port between video games, after that, maybe like pins or brooches that don't deform. any kind of shirts and pants would be a "lol" of clipping issues. and these are all just cosmetic items.

my nft is a horn of plenty that gives you an unlimited supply of any item or currency in any game. and yeah, every horn of plenty is slightly different, the pumpkin is slightly greener and rotated in one. one has an apple on the foreground etc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Wheany posted:

after that, maybe like pins or brooches that don't deform. any kind of shirts and pants would be a "lol" of clipping issues. and these are all just cosmetic items.

Even a static item like a pin or brooch (or whatever else like a weapon charm or whatever) can break a game if you scale it to a whole userbase. Even simple 3D models for games that have tons of cosmetics (TF2) have multiple versions of each cosmetic called "LODs" or Level of Details. For modern games these are required for everything for proper performance. Sure, games engines like Unity or Unreal have some automated plugins to manage them but they all still require more than a little bit of work to optimize what the LODs look like, when the models change based on distance, if they snap to the new LOD or fade or morph, what to do with texture maps/UVs/etc, and more. Otherwise you'll see your fancy brooch or hat go from 4000 polygons to 15 once it gets more than two feet away from you and everything looks terrible. And that's if you modeled the LODs yourself to make them look as good as possible at different levels. Just throwing them into a decimator modifier usually results in eldritch monstrosities, or worse unoptimized impossible shapes that'll also crash a game.

Look at the hilarity of people complaining/making fun of the "Crystal grapes" in the FF MMO. Turns out that its SUPER loving HARD to optimize games for even basic items and shapes and still have it run well.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Let's see... I choose...

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

epitaph posted:

https://venturebeat.com/2022/01/12/gamers-are-ready-for-nfts-whether-they-know-it-or-not/

the whole thing goes on forever and ever about this pie-in-the-sky poo poo while still failing to explain why the ~blockchain~ is necessary for these things

also, play-to-earn is the very definition of a bullshit job

huh I do get that a multiplayer game is infinitely more fun if you play with a population at a similar experience level to yourself. like nobody could really jump into counterstrike or broodwar at this point if playing on public servers. is this “play to earn” stuff supposed to keep a steady supply of fresh meat playing so you always have that?

obviously it won’t work and is vaguely dystopian but i never really got what “play to earn” was supposed to be

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
did people earnestly engage in discussions about the feasibility of Dahir Insaat videos for pages at a time too?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

cool av posted:

obviously it won’t work and is vaguely dystopian but i never really got what “play to earn” was supposed to be

a ponzi scheme which they hope has enough deniability to not get them arrested. pay money to buy in to the game, then "earn" stuff by grinding and sell it to new players wanting to buy in

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

Bitcoin for Minors (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago by andrewmurray1

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Crain posted:

Look at the hilarity of people complaining/making fun of the "Crystal grapes" in the FF MMO. Turns out that its SUPER loving HARD to optimize games for even basic items and shapes and still have it run well.

My first thought on game NFTs was thinking back to the ultra-detailed pots int the original FFXIV, before they rebooted it, and realizing that would happen repeatedly.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

cool av posted:

i never really got what “play to earn” was supposed to be

you get money* in exchange for installing and running malware

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

did people earnestly engage in discussions about the feasibility of Dahir Insaat videos for pages at a time too?

probably. have you seen the people that post here?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wheany posted:

like a decal/spray would be somewhat reasonable to port between video games,

imagine, nfts with 8k textures

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

if by discussions of the feasibility you mean laughing at the dumb quadcopters, then yes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sapozhnik posted:

this was the height of I loving Love Science, Wow, So Cool!, and rabid Muskoids on facebook and boy golly yes they did and got super mad if you told them it was fake garbage for idiot marks

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cool av posted:

huh I do get that a multiplayer game is infinitely more fun if you play with a population at a similar experience level to yourself. like nobody could really jump into counterstrike or broodwar at this point if playing on public servers. is this “play to earn” stuff supposed to keep a steady supply of fresh meat playing so you always have that?

imagine a game explicitly designed around a cross of the Diablo 3 real money auction house and the TF2 hat economy

that's the play-to-earn dream. a game that's constantly dropping limited items only available for limited time periods, which are made purposely annoying to get so that it's far easier for casual players to just either buy them from the day-1 poopsockers who got all the drops, or buy them from the investors and middlemen who bought up all the drops from the poopsockers in hopes of getting a monopoly on the item so they could charge any price they wanted

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boxturret posted:

imagine, nfts with 8k textures

even if they were 8k originally, images you can at least resize trivially. i guess by some definition that would not be the nft anymore, but.... ehhhhhhh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you'd have to mint and own each lod/texture size. make the medium ones rare to add a sense of danger in not bidding fast enough for your nftshirt skin

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oops, looks like your avatar now flickers in and out of phase because cryptostomper69 bought your sleeves and front panel 256 and 512

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
every character creation screen becomes equivalent to an entire animal crossing game

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wheany posted:

even if they were 8k originally, images you can at least resize trivially. i guess by some definition that would not be the nft anymore, but.... ehhhhhhh

look i payed 100k for the 10,000x10,000 px version of the monkey png and it is my satoshi given right to have it in its full glory in every game i play

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just play gmod imo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so if i buy troy baker's voice does that mean troy baker is never allowed to talk ever again without my permission, or does it mean that he has to say whatever i want whenever i want

i mean i know in reality it means nothing but what even is the imaginary bullshit they're selling

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's Cameo but on the blockchain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

I’m always glad when a new opportunity comes to dunk on liefeld
https://twitter.com/rodrigobravo9/status/1481762149676597248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

so if i buy troy baker's voice does that mean troy baker is never allowed to talk ever again without my permission, or does it mean that he has to say whatever i want whenever i want

i mean i know in reality it means nothing but what even is the imaginary bullshit they're selling

they use voice samples from troy baker to train a speech synthesis software, and then only the NFT holder can use that particular TTS model

seems like it's been quite well received

https://twitter.com/VoiceverseNFT/status/1482063228746096642