Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I got a pair of AirPods Max and honestly I'm shocked these aren't better received? Because they're freaking amazing. (Amazon has them on sale).

The $500 ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MarcusSA posted:

I saw this today

Thanks! Amazon price matched them I guess and I picked them up there. Perfect timing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The $500 ones?

They're $490 on sale right now yes. but I'm also rocking an iPad air (latest,) MacBook pro (2015 to be updated this year) an iMac, and an SE. So switching is great, and honestly this year i'll upgrade phones to a 13 mini. (I buy phones outright, and use cricket, so I pay way less than most folks on their plans and phones). I also have regular AirPods (version 2) that are for yard work, working out. the Max are for noise canceling and working at my office/coffee shops/parks/planes/house sitting gigs/ and are amazing.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 15, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The noise cancellation (on my APPs) owns for mowing the lawn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I was in the market for cans I'd consider the max except for the fact you can't loving fold them. How the hell do you pack them into anything without them getting tweaked to poo poo by anything else in the bag?

The "case" they come with doesn't even protect the whole headset.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

If I was in the market for cans I'd consider the max except for the fact you can't loving fold them. How the hell do you pack them into anything without them getting tweaked to poo poo by anything else in the bag?

The "case" they come with doesn't even protect the whole headset.

Before I travel on a plane again (lol) I'll get an off brand case on Amazon that easily can let me put them in a backpack.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think anyone disputes they have great feel and sound.

It’s just at least a hundred (or more, likely) more than something comparable. It’s a more obvious than usual Apple tax gouge.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
They’re nearly 800 Canadian dollars and I don’t think anything else i own is worth nearly that much.

Like I can get another road bike for $800. Come on.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

They’re too expensive for the layperson and don’t cater to hobbyists, it’s basically “hey do you want AirPods shoved together with Sonys or what”
For me, they’re basically useless as a product since most of my listening is done at home at my desk. I can get better sound for stationary listening and the convenience of AirPods by… just buying a nice wired headphone and AirPods, for significantly less than the Max alone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
MDR 7506 forever

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

LionArcher posted:

I got a pair of AirPods Max and honestly I'm shocked these aren't better received? Because they're freaking amazing. (Amazon has them on sale).

I think most people had issues with the price (and the case), not the quality.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fingers crossed for a sports model release at a $200 discount.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

McGurk posted:

I think most people had issues with the price (and the case), not the quality.

Yeah I’m sure they are fantastic and if they were closer in price to say the Bose QC35s I’d consider them. What they are priced at now is a bit ridiculous and I buy all the Apple poo poo but these are a bridge too far.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Carplay has sucked since upgrading to 15. In addition to just being buggier in general, you used to be able to just tap the giant GPS directions box to silence the directions, and then tap them again to bring them back.

Now you have to tap the screen to bring up the OSD, then tap the tiny speaker icon to get the options, then tap the tiny "no sound" button to silence the directions. What used to be one tap of a giant box is now three taps on a tiny icon on the right (farther from the driver) side of the screen
Necro-ing this to bitch about how it also seems to be that now if you’ve silenced the directions you don’t get Apple Watch haptics anymore either. At least, I’ve rebooted my phone and watch and it’s still not doing it. Before if you switched to the “ETA only” mode where Siri didn’t announce the turns, the watch would still vibrate when a turn was coming up. Not working at all for me now with the “alerts only” mode or whatever.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I use a handful of different media apps (YouTube, podcasts, a couple web radios etc). Is there any way to switch which app has "focus" in the lock screen or control center media thing, so I can continue a paused playback without having to go into the actual app and start it playing? Android has this and I'm missing it a lot.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Here’s a fun question for the thread. I use a couple years old jabra headset for calls and meetings a lot, but since I upgraded from a xr to a 13 pro, the headset just won’t stay connected. I really need a good headset for work but can’t justify the cost of airbuds. I know that they may be the actual correct answer but I’m a cheap bastard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Any issues with 15.2.1 so far?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sometimes when i’m switching tab groups in safari my phone starts making a screeching noise, gets red hot and blood sprays out of the lightning port. other than that it’s fine though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think it is literally just a patch for an exploit so it probably doesn't break anything that was working in 15.2

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Has there been a jailbreak for iPhones in iOS 15? Searching returns nothing but the usual fake websites offering untethered jailbreaks, or videos showing a jail broken 6.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weedle posted:

sometimes when i’m switching tab groups in safari my phone starts making a screeching noise, gets red hot and blood sprays out of the lightning port. other than that it’s fine though

Seems preferable to my issue where my phone has now on multiple occasions moved everything from the default tab group to one of my other ones for seemingly no reason other than to irritate me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stoopidmunkey posted:

Here’s a fun question for the thread. I use a couple years old jabra headset for calls and meetings a lot, but since I upgraded from a xr to a 13 pro, the headset just won’t stay connected. I really need a good headset for work but can’t justify the cost of airbuds. I know that they may be the actual correct answer but I’m a cheap bastard.

I had that issue with a 2007 / 2008 era Jabra speakerphone. I couldn't figure it out :/

tuyop posted:

Any issues with 15.2.1 so far?

I don't think it completely fixed the bug of the Carplay screen being frozen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

That's a toggle in Settings.app, but you have to navigate a labyrinth of ancient horrors to get to it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CoolRanch posted:

Has there been a jailbreak for iPhones in iOS 15? Searching returns nothing but the usual fake websites offering untethered jailbreaks, or videos showing a jail broken 6.
As someone who used to jailbreak mostly for the control centre before the official one came in, what’s the draw for jail breaking these days?

I’m sure there’s some specific use cases I can’t think of stuff that iOS can’t do currently but I’m drawing a blank.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

As someone who used to jailbreak mostly for the control centre before the official one came in, what’s the draw for jail breaking these days?

I’m sure there’s some specific use cases I can’t think of stuff that iOS can’t do currently but I’m drawing a blank.

Emulation

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Of course it would be the worst possible answer.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

do you even need jailbreak for that? i figured it could get up set via a testing profile / testflight beta nowadays

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also pirating apps I assume.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

You definitely don’t need a jailbreak for emulation. No idea about app piracy, other than I think it’s a lot harder than it used to be even with a jailbreak??
E: jailbreaking also allows for a lot of visual tweaks if you wanna do that. But to answer the question asked, no, I don’t believe there’s an iOS 15 jailbreak, at least not for devices newer than an A10??

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I just like loving around with my devices.(came from an s21u before the 13 pro) so visual stuff, tones, maybe a working 4chan browser. If not, whatever.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

do not turn your phone into a security risk for a 4chan browser.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can I use my IPhone as a universal remote?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

It doesn’t have an IR port so probably not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You can control any Apple TV on your network with an iPhone.

edit: Related to that, here's a weird one. Can you control the volume on a MacOS client with an iOS device?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I've never turned on iCloud photos until now. Well also I never had a Mac until now and didn't like the iCloud Windows interface. Anyway, quick question - if the full quality version of the image is not on the phone, does it display a little cloud icon over it? Do you then have the option to download the full quality image?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RCarr posted:

If you add your TV to Home you can control it there. It may require a Homebridge to get working however.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

stoopidmunkey posted:

Plantronics BT600

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

For some reason I've never turned on iCloud photos until now. Well also I never had a Mac until now and didn't like the iCloud Windows interface. Anyway, quick question - if the full quality version of the image is not on the phone, does it display a little cloud icon over it? Do you then have the option to download the full quality image?
In my experience the only real sign that it’s not on your phone is a little loading circle that is overlaid in the corner when you open the picture in Photos and the preview shown is clearly kinda low-res.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CoolRanch posted:

I just like loving around with my devices.(came from an s21u before the 13 pro) so visual stuff, tones, maybe a working 4chan browser. If not, whatever.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
That’s the stuff