Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks, I'm going to get HA going rather than OpenHAB, and also go with ZWave.

That's very good to know re: docker. I have a raspberry pi lying around but I also agree that I'd prefer it to be running on something else. I have extra ram in my Synology so I may just try running it from that, or if that doesn't work I'll just run it on my main desktop. I need to get something up and running because while the Kasa app is cool for turning off my bedroom wifi LED lights without getting up, if I turn the lights off in the app then my wife can't turn them back on (unless she install the app). I need to do some research but it looks like there any number of little battery powered buttons I could stick on the wall and get that working.

That's not a bad idea actually, I'll have to remember that.

That could turn out well or become some horrible garlic / vanilla abomination.

Throwing in my opinion that HA is the way to go. I've been running it on a Pi 4 for six months now and have been really happy with it. The Pi is running OpenMediaVault and about a dozen Docker containers (including HA) and its using about one gig of ram right now. I already have a usb hard drive attached so I keep all my persistent Docker stuff on there to not wear out the sd card. From what I've gathered, I wouldn't say the Docker version is neutered so much as its less automated. To my understanding, there are several integrations (Z-Wave being one) that run in their own Docker container, so if you have HA running as an OS it sets that up in the background but if you're already using a Docker image you get to do that yourself.

You might not want to rule out Zigbee entirely. I have a USB stick that works for both Z-Wave and Zigbee and I've ended up getting about twice as many Zigbee devices because they're notably cheaper, especially since HA lets you use weird poo poo that doesn't even officially count as Zigbee like my old Iris contact sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Re: boot chat. Get good insoles.
My boots are....... Mid level, but the nature of my work typically makes them last a year or so. In that time I go through 3-4 pairs of insoles. I know that when my knees, ankles and hips start to bug me (usually in that order), its time to replace the insoles. After the third pair or so, its almost time to get new ones.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Oh yeah, I burn through 2-3 pairs of insoles every year. Once I start feeling it in the knees or ankles at the end of the day I know I need to replace them. Also a boot dryer, even if you're swapping pairs every day. I've got just a Peet single, but I wish I'd gotten a bigger one, especially with the kid and her winter boots.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The Peet dryers are absolutely key. If you wear gloves, get the glove attachments. We've got a 2-position upstairs for my boots and one downstairs for gloves. When I worked on the water, I'd bring one with me to the hotel. Gloves went on when we got back for the day, boots went on after dinner.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Cat Hatter posted:

Throwing in my opinion that HA is the way to go. I've been running it on a Pi 4 for six months now and have been really happy with it. The Pi is running OpenMediaVault and about a dozen Docker containers (including HA) and its using about one gig of ram right now. I already have a usb hard drive attached so I keep all my persistent Docker stuff on there to not wear out the sd card. From what I've gathered, I wouldn't say the Docker version is neutered so much as its less automated. To my understanding, there are several integrations (Z-Wave being one) that run in their own Docker container, so if you have HA running as an OS it sets that up in the background but if you're already using a Docker image you get to do that yourself.

You might not want to rule out Zigbee entirely. I have a USB stick that works for both Z-Wave and Zigbee and I've ended up getting about twice as many Zigbee devices because they're notably cheaper, especially since HA lets you use weird poo poo that doesn't even officially count as Zigbee like my old Iris contact sensors.

I don't have any Phillips Hue stuff, but I believe you can control those hifalutin' bulbs with a Zigbee stick also. Xiaomi/Aqara and Ikea sell a lot of well-engineered Zigbee doodads as well. I would definitely not rule out Zigbee. The Aqara Zigbee magnetic door sensors in particular are class-leading. Z-Wave stuff is just too expensive to use it for everything.

Tool chat: My wife has really come around on the Ryobi cordless stick vac. She initially gave me some friction for spending money on another vacuum (we have a corded Dyson Animal), but she is a big fan of the cordless convenience. She is not entirely impressed by the itty-bitty dirt cup.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 4, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I do a lot of inspections at work on electrical ribbon connectors and such. Right now I use a really old binocular boom microscope. It's heavy, theres no eye relief, and the field of view sucks. I have to move it to different locations and it's just not practical. Is there a portable solution that addresses these issues? I literally don't need more than 10x.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

I got my dad a Bluetooth microscope that streamed to his phone screen for Christmas a year or two ago so he could play around with it looking at bugs and random poo poo. I don't remember what brand it was but there were a bunch to choose from

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I leave a 10x loupe by my soldering iron, cheap and easy. Would that work? https://www.grainger.com/product/BAUSCH-LOMB-Watchmakers-Loupe-3H230?opr=APPD&analytics=altItems_3H423

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
if I had to move it a lot I would just go for a long focal length with a standard base. there would still be a power cord for the lights. if that was a problem I'm sure some battery powered light could be adapted to it.

I use eyepiece magnifiers quite a lot but you eye needs to be close to the subject which isn't always practical for frequent use.

stinch fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 5, 2022

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Re:boots. I really like my Thursday "captain" boot. I always wear out heels because of how I walk' but this one lasted 18 months. Another guy at work has two pairs in rotation as well. I'm on my second pair, haven't taken the first to a cobbler yet.

We drive truck though so a bit different than working for a living.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I used to wear out my boots (redwing 606) because the leather would fall apart despite lovingly coating them with expensive-rear end naturseal every week. I never made it to the point of getting them resoled.

Most recent pair are over 2 years old, resoled about 4 months ago.
Whenever they're relatively clean in the morning, I hose them down with fluidfilm from the undercoat gun. Takes like 30 seconds and works awesome. Lanolin is magical.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I end up killing the leather uppers and soles around the same time so I have never actually bothered having mine fixed, since "jack up the steel toe cap and replace everything around it" is how I waste money on Jeeps, not how I want to waste money on boots.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Bought the 2406es

I had forgotten the boot break-in :cry:

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Speaking of things to wear does anyone have a recommendation for good winter work gloves? I would mostly be doing walk-arounds on airplanes, but some wheel and caliper changes too so they should be at least somewhat durable. All this being outside on a windy ramp. The ones on Amazon have... questionable reviews.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Winter gloves recommendations are typically a combination of how dexterous you need them to be (finger movement and feel) and the cold they need to be rated at... and in my experience the cold ratings are *almost* without exception, optimistic. The ultimate are basically big specific rated mittens which can be good to something crazy like -60, or even colder, but obviously those aren't practical for most work.

Not sure where you are or how cold it gets, but I find these decent. Being dipped you get really good grip and have a decent cold rating. Reasonably tough on cut/wear as well. They are my go-to for doing winter work, like shovelling, snow-blowing, etc. But I think the cold rating is probably about 10 degrees optimistic. They are rated for -26C but after about -15C I find them a little cooler that I would like at my finger tips, although keeping in mind that's having my hand wrapped around a shovel or a snowblower handle the entire time. They are also limited in sizes so if you have big meat-hooks for hands they might be a little small. I have "regular" sized man hands and their largest is borderline.

https://sps.honeywell.com/ca/en/products/safety/hand-protection/gloves/northflex-cold-grip

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
For gloves, I used to run Atlas 460 or 490 insulated gloves, the same ones commercial fishermen use. They not for everyone or every task, but perfect for shoveling snow, running a snowblower, or... Commercial Fishing. Make sure to fully dry them or they'll smell like piss after a while. Again, Peet dryers with the glove attachments work perfectly.

The Atlas Thermal-fit is another option, again, commercial fishing usage. Dipped over knit, but not fully dipped.

For work gloves, I've use the Carhartt winter gloves, Mechanix winter, and many others. They're all decent, but the key is to wear liners under them. Kinda like socks. Merino liners under your winter socks is the way to go.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Speaking of things to wear does anyone have a recommendation for good winter work gloves? I would mostly be doing walk-arounds on airplanes, but some wheel and caliper changes too so they should be at least somewhat durable. All this being outside on a windy ramp. The ones on Amazon have... questionable reviews.

I accidentally bought these, did not realize they are insulated. They are fantastic for shoveling snow or getting firewood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6Z8QT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just to throw my bullshit opinion in to the ring, here one gloves Welding gloves are great for keeping heat out, but having worn them for outside work in the winter, they seem to be awful at keeping heat in.

I usually wear leather insulated gloves. The dipped ones are good to a point, but when things get a little bit slippery, with water and a bit of mud, everyone I work with complains that they lose their grip. My leathers have to be pretty much drenched to lose any grip.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The trick with winter work gloves is to have more than one pair, maybe of varying levels of insulation/dexterity. That's especially true if you're likely to warm up and cool down from working hard, or doing anything that will get your hands wet. The perfect winter work glove becomes the worst one if conditions change.

At least that's what I run into, but my job is 10h days in the field with nowhere warm nearby.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hypnolobster posted:

The trick with winter work gloves is to have more than one pair, maybe of varying levels of insulation/dexterity. That's especially true if you're likely to warm up and cool down from working hard, or doing anything that will get your hands wet. The perfect winter work glove becomes the worst one if conditions change.

At least that's what I run into, but my job is 10h days in the field with nowhere warm nearby.

When I'm working I keep a spare set of gloves on top of the engine of my machine as an "oh poo poo both my other pairs are soaked" while typically wearing one pair and having another pair drying and/or warming up on the radiator. Some guys lay their gloves on the exhaust, but that either melts them in bad spots, or at best only dries them up where they are touching the pipe. The top of the rad however, the combination of heat, and air blowing around can dry a completely soaked pair of summer gloves (winters take a bit longer) in about half an hour.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That too. Thin gloves stay on the radiator really well if you tuck them under the overflow hose :v:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey goons. I need a recommendation for a inexpensive car battery trickle charger. My '06 Honda CRV has some sort of vampire draw that I cant source, and if she sits in the garage for a long weekend (like this one) she ends up dead very consistently.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey goons. I need a recommendation for a inexpensive car battery trickle charger. My '06 Honda CRV has some sort of vampire draw that I cant source, and if she sits in the garage for a long weekend (like this one) she ends up dead very consistently.

I have been very impressed with a CTEK. The little permanent pigtail you get in the box is nice and unobtrusive too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The cig lighter CTEK adapter is cool cause I don’t even pop the hood open. They make a pigtail with voltage indicator lights right on the plug too, which is neat.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm old fashioned and have never had a bad experience with Schumacher (available with permanent pigtail and cig lighter options attachments.

If you haven't done so yet, go to your favorite auto parts chain and have them check your battery for free. You might just have a poo poo battery. Or alternator. Its the same test.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

If it’s that consistent, diagnosis should be pretty easy if you have a multimeter. The car should have 2-3 fuse boxes. With the multimeter set to the volt range, check voltage across each fuse. When you find a fuse that has more across it than the others, you have your culprit. It’s called a Voltage Drop test and you can calculate the amount of draw on the fuse based on the amperage and voltage drop.

https://www.autonerdz.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/HowtodoParasiticdraintestacrossfuses.pdf

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is a Battery Tender Jr no longer the go-to inexpensive trickle charger?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

That's what I've got and I'm happy.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I think the company changed hands a while back and the product may not be the same quality, at least last time I looked at reviews. My Tender Jr from about a decade ago is still going strong

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Safety Dance posted:

Noco is what I use and what I've seen lately.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The ctek stuff gets pushed on a lot of car-collector-youtubes. I don’t know how much of it is paid sponsorship, but I hear the line “if ctek is good enough for Lamborghini and Bugatti to rebrand as official accessories, it’s good enough for me.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

my Legacy has been nursing on the VIKING brand (Harbor Freight) maintainer/trickle charger for months without bursting into flames.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html

Comes with a separate pigtail for quick disconnect of permanent ring connectors, as well as the standard lovely clamps.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

CloFan posted:

I think the company changed hands a while back and the product may not be the same quality, at least last time I looked at reviews. My Tender Jr from about a decade ago is still going strong

I have two, one that is heavy and has something inside it, and one that feels like it is empty.
Im sure they just changed to cheaper electronics (and maybe better, who knows), but it does leave an impression when the old one seemed a lot more substantial

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I had a schumacher die on me in less than 2 years, so I ended up buying a cheapo amazon ~1A smart charger which was a glorified wall wart. Still has the pigtail/clamp adapters.

The drat thing has been rock solid for 5 now. Move it between the bike and the 996 every couple months.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a ctek with the led charge indicator connector on my motorcycle and a schauer for anything else. No complaints about either one.

blindjoe posted:

I have two, one that is heavy and has something inside it, and one that feels like it is empty.
Im sure they just changed to cheaper electronics (and maybe better, who knows), but it does leave an impression when the old one seemed a lot more substantial

They probably just switched from a transformer to switch mode power supply like mostly everything else in the past however many decades.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are impact rated sockets that are colorful and color-coded a thing? I've got a set of HF hand sockets that are color-coded which are great because I can grab the one I need without guessing which one is the 12mm vs 14mm or 17mm vs 19mm. I should probably 3d print a socket holder but my standard tool bag has 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm combination wrenches, the 12, 14, 17, and 19 hand wrench sockets, and then a set of 12, 14, 17, and 19 impact sockets in both 3/8 and 1/2" drive, since those are the only sizes Subaru uses off the top of my head aside from the axle nuts. But that means that there's four sockets that could easily be the 17/19mm 3/8 or 1/2" drive sockets and since they're all the exact same color it's a lot of guessing. Visual distinction would really save me a lot of time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you could always hit them with some spray paint or colored tape and use some sort of system like sheldon brown:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/colorcode.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

you could always hit them with some spray paint or colored tape and use some sort of system like sheldon brown:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/colorcode.html

I would modify this next time to put more different colors next to each other. Red blue orange purple yellow green. The paints I used, it's kinda hard to tell orange and yellow apart and green and blue apart.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention Rose Anvil on YouTube.
https://youtube.com/c/RoseAnvil

He cuts boots and shoes in half, and discusses materials and construction. He also dissects boots after 1000 miles of use to see how things hold up. It's fascinating and informative, and he makes me want some Nick's Boots just for nail count street cred.

Here is a throwback summary video for moc toes:
https://youtu.be/BEoJkTpQ01k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I don't know if this was location-specific or not, but I was at Home Depot this afternoon and the location near my house was clearing out most of their automotive specialty paints. I got a gallon of Rustoleum bedliner for $20, and most of the automotive primers were on clearance for $1.70 otr $2.50 a can. The bed liner in a spray can, caliper paint, wheel paint, and high temperature paint was also heavily discounted, but most of it was gone already. I was there for a dovetail bit for my router but ended up spending like $100 on all kinds of weird stuff in spray cans.

I also saw large and small Ryobi cordless power inverters that looked intriguing. Both could connect to a cigarette lighter or a Ryobi 18V battery and spit out USB power or 110 VAC. The bigger unit could also connect directly to a car battery for more juice.

Does anyone have any experience with rivet nut tools? They look awesome and very handy. Is there a big difference between a $50 Harbor Freight unit and a $75 Astro Pneumatic?