Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Looking for a new way to ride around town and be away from folks during the pandemic?
Looking for a way to look like a weirdo alien and break dogs’ brains?
Want to try something totally different that kinda feels like you’re floating/flying?
Well then you might want to try a Onewheel or electric unicycle (EUC).

Wait what are these things?

Onewheels:
Onewheels are considered a ‘board sport’ as their stance is similar to a skateboard or a snowboard. They look a bit like a skateboard, but there’s a 12” gocart tire in the middle of the board with an internal motor which provides balance, acceleration and deceleration. They can be ridden on the street or on trails, and can get up to about 20 miles per hour.
In the U.S. a company called Future Motion owns the patents for this concept and has most of the market, though you can find grey-market imports (Trotter) or self-builds. Future Motion is on their 4th generation (or so) of onewheels. They currently sell 3 models, the Pint, which is their entry level model with a range of about 6-8 miles and a top speed of ~16mph, The PintX with a longer range of about 15 miles and a top speed on 18 mph, and the ‘about to be released’ GT which has a claimed 20-32 mile range, and a 20 mph top speed. They also just discontinued the XR, which was their previous flagship model (to be replaced by the GT) which has almost equivalent specs to the PintX.

Electric Unicycles:
Electric Unicycles or EUCs are essentially the same concept as the onewheel, and actually came first, and have the wheel’s axle perpendicular to your feet with the wheel between your legs. There are 4 main manufacturers (InMotion, Gotway/Begode, KingSong, and Veteran, all based in China. There is intense development going on here, with new models coming out all the time, especially at the high-performance end. In general, they have much larger wheel diameters, much larger batteries and much more powerful motors than the Onewheel. As such they typically can go much faster and further. There are so many models of EUC that any summary here would be immediately old, but overall they range from 12-20” wheels, with top speeds anywhere from 15 to 55mph.

How they work:
Both Onewheels and EUCs use sensors to self-adjust/correct the balance of the wheel when pushed forward or backward. If you lean forward, the device will tilt, the sensor senses this, and the computer will tell the motor to move to ‘catch up’, creating a feedback loop to maintain balance. To slow down, you lean backwards, and a similar feedback loop regenerates power back into the battery. To turn, the rider leans or unweights the device to one side or the other, and the wheel will carve. To go faster, you lean forward more, and the board will go faster to ‘catch up’, to slow down you lean back, and the board will decelerate to maintain balance. You can generally ride Onewheels and EUCs backwards as well.
They both have a significant learning curve, though you probably could ‘ride’ a Onewheel in your first session – EUCs have a much steeper learning curve. In general it’s considered that Onewheels are ‘easier’ though I didn’t feel I was a confident rider till I had about 700 miles ridden.

How they fail:
Ooh boy, they can fail pretty spectacularly! There’s a few things about these devices that are unique:
1. They have a top speed. I mean most vehicles have a top speed, but that is a speed beyond which they can no longer accelerate. For Onewheels and EUCs there is a speed beyond which *they cannot go without catastrophe*. This is because they self balance, and if the speed/power requirements go beyond the motor’s capability, they won’t be able to keep balanced. When this happens you get a ‘Nosedive’ on a Onewheel, or a ‘Cut out’ on an EUC. There are warning signs on each device, on a Onewheel you’ll get ‘Push back’ which means that the board will raise the front of the board to warn you it is near the end of its performance. On an EUC there is typically an audio warning where the wheel will beep at you. If you’re pushing performance on an EUC, you are ‘Riding the beeps’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THW1QtXfRy8&t=25s

https://imgur.com/gallery/kjZn0XU
https://imgur.com/gallery/tgvit0y

2. They don’t have brakes. I mean not real friction brakes, all braking is done with regenerative e-brakes. This means there is a limit to the amount of braking force, as it is subject to the same limitations of the motor power and battery status as acceleration, which is different than most vehicles. Also, I hear you asking “Hey, what happens if I live on a hill and I charge my board to 100% and try to go down?” - well, that is a great question, as the battery is full, there is no where for the regenerated energy to go, so the board will just shut down mid ride.
3. Speed wobbles. With only one wheel, it is much easier to get into situations where you have a positive feedback loop for a wobble, where it grows and grows, and you lose control. Typically this is a problem at high speeds and during braking.

I hear you saying “Wow, that sounds pretty dangerous, why do people do this?” And, well, yes it can be pretty dangerous, but it is a lot of fun. I think the key part is to start slow, and really only push limits once you’ve got the basics down. Its easy on these devices to get good enough to balance, then go super fast without understanding what you’re doing. Or you know, you could just never push the limits – it’s risky enough without pushing to the edge. Also, always wear protective gear, at a minimum wrist protection and a helmet. I wear a padded Kevlar motorcycle shirt, helmet, padded shorts, wrist protection, and knee-shin guards and have never regretted it.

Why people ride them:
Well, they’re a completely different experience from riding a bike or other forms of transport you can ride. They’re super fun, nimble, and have attributes of bikes, unicycles and skateboards, but are their own thing. They are relatively small, and can be hand carried (in the Onewheel case) or rolled around like a piece of luggage (EUCs), which makes them good for multi modal commutes in cities. There are EUC and Onewheel ‘Scenes’ in major cities, particularly New York, Portland and Seattle (and lots of other places). They’re an expensive buy, and range from $1,500 to $3,000, but are a one time cost, which compares favorably to a mountain or e-bike. Overall they’re cheaper than skiing/snowboarding on a mountain (considering all in costs), and you can ride them year-round. I really enjoy mine when I can carve around the neighborhoods around me at night, like skiing down a slope. You can also do a number of tricks with them, if that’s your thing.

Why the thread:
There’s been more discussion of these devices in other threads, but there doesn’t seem to be any threads specifically for Onewheels or EUCs, and I think I’ve seen enough posting about them in other threads to have a central location. Have you seen folks on Onewheels or EUCs? Have questions? Want to share experiences? Please do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I currently have an Onewheel XR.

I originally got interested in Onewheels back in 2020 at the start of the pandemic, and finally bought one, the lower-specced model Pint in July of 2020. It was a bit of work to get better at it, and luckily the Pint comes with a different stopping method call ‘Simple stop’ where you can just go backwards for a bit to have the board turn off. This was important as it took me a while to learn the ‘heel lift’ technique -which is the more advanced and useful stopping method. After about 300 miles on the Pint I realized I wanted more, and upgraded to the XR. The XR is a larger board, has a bit more power, but mostly has longer range and a slightly bigger wheel so it’s better for longer rides. It comes with a more ‘squared off’ tire than the pint, and is thus more stable, though you can buy after-market tires to change this.

I was also interested in EUCs, and last January I got an Inmotion V11 EUC. It was one of the new generation of suspension wheels at the time. I learned how to ride over the course of a few months, and it was a challenge, though I did get better. One of the challenges is that there are so many things that can effect the way you ride including the wheel (tire pressure, modes, tilt), environment (street, bumps, incline), riding stance (foot position, squat, lean). Also there is a speed at which you have to change how you ride, at slow speeds you need to twist more, whereas at higher speeds you need to lean and unweight to turn. It all takes quite a bit of time and dedication to get to the point where you trust your wheel and yourself to ride in traffic and in tough situations. I realized around this time that while I liked the EUC, I really preferred my Onewheel for cruising around and relaxing which is my main interest. So after about 500 miles I sold it.

I have almost 1,500 miles on my XR now and still really love it. Its especially great riding around the city at night when there’s less traffic and you can just carve all over the street.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I am interested in hearing more about these suicide machines.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bone Crimes posted:

Why the thread:
There’s been more discussion of these devices in other threads, but there doesn’t seem to be any threads specifically for Onewheels or EUCs, and I think I’ve seen enough posting about them in other threads to have a central location.

I dig it! Thanks for making this thread!

I'm always surprised when I see EUC people in Manhattan essentially competing with cars. Those things can really move!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Future Motion (makers of the Onewheel) released a new flagship onewheel - the GT a few weeks ago. It has not gone very well. It has several new features that riders were looking forward to, primarily a better power band, and much larger batteries for torque and range.
But, the release was pushed back several months after taking preorders, which caused some grumbling. After the first boards were shipped out, there were quite a few dead-on-arrival which was not a good look, also there have been a number of changes to the board that prevent user servicing and aftermarket parts, to the point that big right-to-repair advocates have taken up the cause.

Also some new GT boards have had an issue with ghosting, which is when the board keeps moving after the rider is no longer is on the board - which is v. bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbFMmhIrTw&t=4s

All that said, I have a GT from the first batch, haven't had any problems, and really like it, except for the tire. I was regularly running my older onewheel battery all the way down every night, but this new one has so much more range it easily outlasts me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bless this site, there's a thread for everything.

I've long been vaguely interested in getting a longboard for cruising around but never got around to it because of laziness/breaking my old man bones/people would probably laugh at me/the wife would say no/out of shape. More recently I've seen the Onewheel models around from time to time and have mused about getting one but never really considered it. Today the Mrs. mentioned wanting one after seeing some college kid scoot by on some model and I thought it might make a nice Mother's Day surprise for me her first time getting to benefit from the holiday. Looking around this seems like "a whole thing" and I'm mulling over the best way to start messing around with one of these things and hopefully not killing myself/the wife/the baby in the process.

Can I get away with a used model? I know that the OW company are apparently assholes in the "right to repair" debate and while that is a bummer I don't put much faith in the AliExpress pool to be decent and not explode.

How are these on non-paved surfaces? The primary use case I'd see for use it just around the subdivision but I do know the local college has a cross country trail that could be fun. I'm not really interested in going fast or tricks or whatever. I used to really just enjoy biking around and the experience of rolling/light carving before I got horribly out of shape.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

Can I get away with a used model? I know that the OW company are apparently assholes in the "right to repair" debate and while that is a bummer I don't put much faith in the AliExpress pool to be decent and not explode.

How are these on non-paved surfaces? The primary use case I'd see for use it just around the subdivision but I do know the local college has a cross country trail that could be fun. I'm not really interested in going fast or tricks or whatever. I used to really just enjoy biking around and the experience of rolling/light carving before I got horribly out of shape.

You probably can get away with a used model. You probably want a Pint, (either the older 'Pint' or the newer 'Pint X)' as it has something called simple stop, which means you can lean back it it will automatically stop and turn off the board. I needed that, as I had a tough time learning the heel lift when learning. The other board you might see used is the XR, which you have to learn the heel lift to turn off, but has the advantage of a very square tire that is very stable, which is also helpful when starting out.

The XR, which just was discontinued, is generally more expensive (likely $1200 to $1500) used. The cheaper model is the Pint, which is $1100 new, and the pint X, at $1400 new. You likely can find older used pints under 800. You should have the seller ride it for you to make sure it works, and also show the board charging on the charger. You're taking a little gamble on the state of the battery on a used board, but typically the way they degrade is that they just get reduced range, which shouldn't be an issue when learning. Your feet will tire before the battery dies. If you like it, you can always upgrade.

I wouldn't go the Aliexpress route, especially as your first board. The quality of the board is much lower, and the control software is very bad unless you want to tinker with the firmware.

Onewheels are pretty good on non-paved surfaces, but I wouldn't learn how to ride by riding off-road. Lots of folks love riding trails, and the pros typically reduce the pressure in their tires to better grip and manage roots/bumps.

You should absolutely wear a helmet and wrist protectors when riding, at a minimum. As I am old and fragile now, I ride with the wrist guards, knee/shin pads, and have a kevlar jacket. You probably don't need those last 2 when learning, but if you ride fast I def recommend it. I ate it at 17mph on pavement and they totally saved the skin on my arms and knees!

The other thing I'd add, is that while I would love to have a electric skateboard, the quality of the pavement and trails (bumps, cracks, drops) around me means that it's just not possible, even with large 6" skate wheels. One wheels have the advantage with the larger diameter wheel. So consider where you'd want to ride in the equation.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Mrs. shot down the idea for now, but seemed open to it down the road a bit. Ideally renting one would be a good avenue to try it out as I agree with her sentiment that it's a lot of money to get a thing sight unseen. I know someone in our neighborhood has at least a couple and I'm asking around in some other places to see if I can get some time on someone else's.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

The Mrs. shot down the idea for now, but seemed open to it down the road a bit. Ideally renting one would be a good avenue to try it out as I agree with her sentiment that it's a lot of money to get a thing sight unseen. I know someone in our neighborhood has at least a couple and I'm asking around in some other places to see if I can get some time on someone else's.

Cool, hope you find a way to try. Wear a helmet!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The V8S is on sale for Prime Day, down to less than $1,000.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Unicycle-INMOTION-Balancing-Lighting/dp/B09MRMPMR8

Probably a really great deal at that price.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m some exciting news Rent Eboards has apparently set up a shop down in the city so I can get a crack at one of these one wheel deals. $20 bucks for an hour seems reasonable to see if I even like it when the alternative is about a grand. What I want to know is if I can sort it out myself if I have no skateboard experience or if I should opt for the $50 “how to not die” class they apparently have.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

I’m some exciting news Rent Eboards has apparently set up a shop down in the city so I can get a crack at one of these one wheel deals. $20 bucks for an hour seems reasonable to see if I even like it when the alternative is about a grand. What I want to know is if I can sort it out myself if I have no skateboard experience or if I should opt for the $50 “how to not die” class they apparently have.

I didn't have any skateboard experience when I bought one and learned on my own, so it's certainly not required. Before I got on a one wheel though, I would definitely watch a few youtubes on how they work and how to ride just conceptually. Also I'd recommend trying one of the onewheel models that has simple stop mode, (the pint, pint XR, or GT), and turn it on via the app, which lets you more easily stop the board. I also recommend wrist protectors, a helmet, and knee pads.

And try to ride it on smooth roads to start - that helps a lot!

Good luck!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Bought a used Onewheel Pint X at the beginning of the summer, feeling I would have all summer to figure it out. Early attempts left me with a few falls thankful I bought wrist guards and was wearing them. Then it sat for a few months while I did literally anything else but get on the buyers remorse machine. But recently read some articles that recommended I let out the air to about 15 PSI and just run it in the grass at first. Luckily I have a city park nearby, so took some air out, and tried there, and after a few failed non disaster attempts, got moving and balanced. Got enough practice where I was able to ride with the kids tonight around the neighborhood.

Felt great!

Only board experience was renting a snowboard like a couple decades ago and spending a few routes down a hill on my face.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, I went and rented a Pint XR or whatever the other day and had a good time with it. Spent about a half hour sorting things out on a soccer field before taking it on a greenway to putter around. Took about an hour or so after that but I was able to get around pretty well. Only had one actual fall but that was on me being overconfident and not paying attention to a bump I had missed. Wrist guards thankfully came with the rental so it wasn’t a big deal.

The ride was fun, but I’m not sure I’d buy one of these in my specific case. If I had somewhere to ride easily that wasn’t a suburban neighborhood or someone to ride with on the reg that would likely not be the case. Maybe when the baby gets a bit older.

Edit: I wasn’t expecting these things to be so drat heavy, good grief.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A friend of mine has one of these and it’s really fun, but the speed wobbles that occurred at like, 15mph, made me not interested in pursuing it myself. Further, the way you have to stand on them seemed like it would start to hurt the inside arch of your foot after a while, but I’m sure that’s a matter of technique.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

A friend of mine has one of these and it’s really fun, but the speed wobbles that occurred at like, 15mph, made me not interested in pursuing it myself. Further, the way you have to stand on them seemed like it would start to hurt the inside arch of your foot after a while, but I’m sure that’s a matter of technique.

Yeah, wobbles can be bad, but on a onewheel you can get them under control in most circumstances - it's different on an EUC tho. And foot fatigue is a big problem on Onewheels and EUCs. I still need to stop every few miles to walk/stretch my feet and let them recover. Some hard core guys take creatine specifically so they can ride all night and avoid foot fatigue. lol

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I've had the inmotion v8 EUC for almost four years now and I really love how it has the capabilities of a bike in a suitcase form factor. Works great for city commuting paired with public transit, given the small size and light weight.

Though I've also had about 4 punctures in that same period of time, so inner tubes are kind of a consumable for me.

I think my biggest concerns are having to go realatively slow on roads I don't know, since any bump I don't hit head-on has a tendency to send the euc off in a different direction than the one I continue on. Thankfully no serious injuries so far.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
Been riding my Pint X pretty much every day since I figured out how to not fall over instantly. Either take it out on lunch break, or sometime in the evening. Super helps when I'm getting the work grumps. I haven't fallen in a few weeks, but I still wear knee & elbow pads, wrist guards and a helmet every time. The few times I did fall with that gear on it took the brunt of the damage and I really don't want that damage on me. Found I really like having the tire over the pressure that Future Motion recommends... they say to only put 20 psi in there, but the tire feels unpredictable when its that low. I ride with 26psi and its super predictable, and carve-y. Doesn't help I'm closer to the top end of the weight recommendation than I'd like to be. Tire itself says 40psi, so I figure I got some room.

Not sure how I'm gonna handle the winter here once the snow starts flying... I suppose just wait for the days where the road is dry at least and go for a cruise or two.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Spy_Guy posted:

I think my biggest concerns are having to go realatively slow on roads I don't know, since any bump I don't hit head-on has a tendency to send the euc off in a different direction than the one I continue on. Thankfully no serious injuries so far.

Yeah, I had the same experience on my EUC. The scariest problem I had was when I would ride over painted lines, for some reason my v11 would shift direction when riding over them, enough to give me a panic - I think some riders called it 'train tracking'. It very quickly made it so I didn't ride over those lines!

Syves posted:

Been riding my Pint X pretty much every day since I figured out how to not fall over instantly. Either take it out on lunch break, or sometime in the evening. Super helps when I'm getting the work grumps. I haven't fallen in a few weeks, but I still wear knee & elbow pads, wrist guards and a helmet every time. The few times I did fall with that gear on it took the brunt of the damage and I really don't want that damage on me. Found I really like having the tire over the pressure that Future Motion recommends... they say to only put 20 psi in there, but the tire feels unpredictable when its that low. I ride with 26psi and its super predictable, and carve-y. Doesn't help I'm closer to the top end of the weight recommendation than I'd like to be. Tire itself says 40psi, so I figure I got some room.

Not sure how I'm gonna handle the winter here once the snow starts flying... I suppose just wait for the days where the road is dry at least and go for a cruise or two.

Nice, I've pretty much done the same, and it has been a great de-stressor to ride around. I wouldn't stress on what Future Motion says about the pressure, I'm running well below what they recommend on my board, and it's fine - I just make sure it doesn't go too low. Lots of 'pro' riders are all over the map on their pressures from single digits to 40+psi.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
Good fun, was out for a ride and was going as fast as I ever have and the foot pad sensor thinks I got off the one wheel and powered down right under me. Twisted the poo poo out of my knee. Pads kept me from any road rash. So had to call the Mrs for medivac and how I'm home with a wrap around my knee and ice on it.

Oh well. Time for a break to heal and then get back out and ride again.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Syves posted:

Good fun, was out for a ride and was going as fast as I ever have and the foot pad sensor thinks I got off the one wheel and powered down right under me. Twisted the poo poo out of my knee. Pads kept me from any road rash. So had to call the Mrs for medivac and how I'm home with a wrap around my knee and ice on it.

Oh well. Time for a break to heal and then get back out and ride again.

Oof! sorry to hear about that. I hope you heal quickly. Have you had trouble the the foot sensor before? I didn't think it was supposed to shut off without being below 1mph if you had at least one side of the foot sensor activated, but I'm not sure what's supposed to happen if the sensor thinks you've totally left the onewheel.

I've had sensor issues on my XR with certain shoes, where the soles were too flat to reliably activate the sensors, so I had to put furniture felt pads on there to get them to activate. Not sure, but maybe that might help if that's the problem.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Trouble a brewin’: https://www.engadget.com/amp/cpsc-onewheel-safety-warning-213555397.html

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Yeah, it's not a good look for Future Motion, but while my sympathies for them are not great, I'm not sure they're really that much more dangerous than other vehicles.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
Well, knee is still healing. got an xray on it and tailbone, not breaks, but deffo some soft tissue damage. cant kneel on the knee and sitting for long time hurts. probably cracked my tailbone as well. But its healing. Really hope my knee isnt permanent. ER doc says probably take a few months to heal up. its improving, but I won't be getting on my pintx again for a bit (mostly because its winter now and snow is here). Nurses in the ER asked how many miles i had on it, and when I told her a little over a hundred, she laughed and said thats when most folks get their first major injury. Her brother fell and broke his wrist at the same point. I probably would have as well if I didnt have all my safety gear on.

As for the CPSC... I knew what i was getting on was an electronic with a change of pain. if it keeps crashing on its own, then ill probably think otherwise...

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Had my XR+ for about a year and half now and while I couldn't ride much over the winter I have been commuting on it for the spring and summer. Only recently has it been too drat cold and slippery to risk breaking my 48 y/o rear end. I gotta say my fav time to ride is very early morning before pedestrians and traffic ramps up. Get the tunes going and surf the roads and parks for 20 mins each way. I am amazed at how much weight a Onewheel can handle. I'm a full goon over 6 foot and 260lbs plus gear plus my work bag and then I have picked up a bag or two of shopping and it still gets me up the hill to my place.

Biggest tips I have learned thus far:

Bare minimum is helmet and long style elbow pads. The kind that go from forearm to bicep. I do not ride anymore without at least those. Wrap around glasses are also nice, keep the wind tears down.

Try different foot positions. For me having my lead foot with heel hanging off the edge and the rear foot toe off the edge so my body is going across the board at a bit of an angle has changed everything. No more foot fatigue, tighter turning, better control overall. Probably wouldn't work for everyone and it took a lot of experimenting to figure it out but I suggest everyone try changing it up, see what works.

Lastly, and maybe this is because of my size (?), I scrapped the recommended tire pressure. Read an article from a reviewer who recommended trying ~8-10% of your body weight for street riding. I went up to ~22psi and its made a world of difference. I mostly ride on the street and I would definitely lower it for trails but for my daily commute I can tell the board is not needing to work nearly as hard.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

shipwrek posted:

Had my XR+ for about a year and half now and while I couldn't ride much over the winter I have been commuting on it for the spring and summer. Only recently has it been too drat cold and slippery to risk breaking my 48 y/o rear end. I gotta say my fav time to ride is very early morning before pedestrians and traffic ramps up. Get the tunes going and surf the roads and parks for 20 mins each way. I am amazed at how much weight a Onewheel can handle. I'm a full goon over 6 foot and 260lbs plus gear plus my work bag and then I have picked up a bag or two of shopping and it still gets me up the hill to my place.

Biggest tips I have learned thus far:

Bare minimum is helmet and long style elbow pads. The kind that go from forearm to bicep. I do not ride anymore without at least those. Wrap around glasses are also nice, keep the wind tears down.

Try different foot positions. For me having my lead foot with heel hanging off the edge and the rear foot toe off the edge so my body is going across the board at a bit of an angle has changed everything. No more foot fatigue, tighter turning, better control overall. Probably wouldn't work for everyone and it took a lot of experimenting to figure it out but I suggest everyone try changing it up, see what works.

Lastly, and maybe this is because of my size (?), I scrapped the recommended tire pressure. Read an article from a reviewer who recommended trying ~8-10% of your body weight for street riding. I went up to ~22psi and its made a world of difference. I mostly ride on the street and I would definitely lower it for trails but for my daily commute I can tell the board is not needing to work nearly as hard.

This is all great advice, and I agree with everything you posted. I particularly like to ride at night for the exact same reasons you list. I'm particularly scared of car traffic, and it really breaks up the flow, so later at night is prime time, especially as I can see traffic a long way off, and they can see me with my bright lights.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
I really liked just grabbing the board and hopping in the car, driving to find a quiet neighborhood, and just ride around somewhere new. We also have some nice long trails in town around some lakes that are a real nice ride. I won't ride with headphones on tho, I need that noise to know if a car is sneaking up on me. Should get some of those bone conductors. Get into some audio books...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God you’re all making me want to go rent one again.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Warbird posted:

God you’re all making me want to go rent one again.

DO EEEET!

Anyone tried that latest Onewheel model? Its looks really plastic-y and cheap too me. Reviews seem kinda mixed saying the XR+ is still the frequent rider board of choice. I should hit up my local e-ride shop and see if they'll let me try one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bud you want to lend be $70 and watch the kid and I’d be happy to.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

shipwrek posted:

DO EEEET!

Anyone tried that latest Onewheel model? Its looks really plastic-y and cheap too me. Reviews seem kinda mixed saying the XR+ is still the frequent rider board of choice. I should hit up my local e-ride shop and see if they'll let me try one.

I have both an XR+ and a GT. The short answer is that the GT is really all I ride anymore, except for special occasions where the lighter weight of the XR is better. I might sell the XR or mod it.

Here's a short list of pros/cons for the GT:
Pros:
Much more power & torque - and therefore fewer 'stuttering' or 'rubbery' events than on the XR on hills and stuff. I'm more confident reversing into fakie. Also much more confident cruzing at 18-20mph+
Range is much larger than XR - I could conk out my XR in an hour in cold weather and hilly terrain, the GT can outlast me, and allows me to do exploratory rides.
Curved footpads , front and rear which do help for control
Can charge to 90% if you like to keep your board charged all the time
I haven't had any technical issues with mine, and I was in the first batch.
Foot pad overall is good for me, on the XR (I ride with flat shoes), I have to use sticky dots to get the pads to register, and I don't need to do this with the GT.

Cons:
Heavy - it's significantly heavier than the xr, and is a pain to carry
Stock tire (I have the slick) sucks pretty bad. It's very hard, and the new size means that there's not much of an aftermarket yet. I have the pressure down to 12psi, and I'm ~180lbs. I guess it will last longer?
It does feel like it rides a bit higher, and the combination of that plus a more rounded tire than I had on the XR meant that I had to take some time to learn to ride it (which was frustrating), but I think overall it made me a better rider.
The foot pads, though curved, are kinda cheap plastic, and don't offer much cushioning - not a huge deal tho.
New lights are brighter, but they still aren't any where what you would need to rely on them alone at night.
They haven't released the custom shaping options in the app yet. This isn't a big deal to me as I'm 100% apex/delerium and don't really use them.

If I was on the fence, I'd wait till the aftermarket had more tire options, but would def get the GT over a stock XR.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Darn crappy weather! I'm not a big fan of riding my OneWheel on wet pavement, and it's been largely wet her in the PNW for weeks. :( Hope others are having better luck!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
My knee is finally healed up, but its all ice and snow here in the midwest. Onewheel is sitting in the office with a half charge waiting for a melt off, or for enough of the roads to clean up a bit. But I'm not holding my breath this winter...

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So, time for a OneWheel update of sorts. Two main things have been going on in OneWheel land, first the government in the shape of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC) saying

quote:

“CPSC evaluated the Onewheel products and found that they can cause the rider to be ejected from the product, which can result in serious injury or death to the rider. There have been at least four reported deaths between 2019 and 2021 and multiple reports of serious injuries after the product failed to balance the rider or suddenly stopped while in motion.”
The OneWheel community reacted negatively to the CPSC, and staged a letter-writing campaign. It’s unclear to me what exactly the power of the CPSC to force a recall though, so I’m not sure what the impact here will be. Overall OneWheels have a lower death/accident rate than other motorized/mobile sports, so I’m not sure exactly where this will go. I wonder if this has been bad for OneWheel sales or good.

link

The other thing going on is that development of alternative OneWheels, boards that are essentially identical to OneWheels, but are not from Future Motion, have become more of a real thing. It’s still mostly in a DIY mode, where you can buy all the parts, but the real blocker was in the control boards and firmware. Recent developments with the VESC control boards have made real, high-performance non-Future Motion boards a reality. They are still a lot of work to build, and exist in a bit of a legal grey area, but riders that don’t want to be limited to what Future Motion provides, now have an outlet.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Syves posted:

My knee is finally healed up, but its all ice and snow here in the midwest. Onewheel is sitting in the office with a half charge waiting for a melt off, or for enough of the roads to clean up a bit. But I'm not holding my breath this winter...

Good to hear. After a long spell of rain (I don't like riding on wet pavement), I was able to get out on a few rides here in the PNW.
https://i.imgur.com/vbO8ApF.mp4

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bone Crimes posted:

So, time for a OneWheel update of sorts. Two main things have been going on in OneWheel land, first the government in the shape of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC) saying

The OneWheel community reacted negatively to the CPSC, and staged a letter-writing campaign. It’s unclear to me what exactly the power of the CPSC to force a recall though, so I’m not sure what the impact here will be. Overall OneWheels have a lower death/accident rate than other motorized/mobile sports, so I’m not sure exactly where this will go. I wonder if this has been bad for OneWheel sales or good.

link

The other thing going on is that development of alternative OneWheels, boards that are essentially identical to OneWheels, but are not from Future Motion, have become more of a real thing. It’s still mostly in a DIY mode, where you can buy all the parts, but the real blocker was in the control boards and firmware. Recent developments with the VESC control boards have made real, high-performance non-Future Motion boards a reality. They are still a lot of work to build, and exist in a bit of a legal grey area, but riders that don’t want to be limited to what Future Motion provides, now have an outlet.

Frankly it wouldn’t be the worst thing to need people to have some sort of qualifier to operate one as you can do a lot more damage with one of these to yourself and others than a regular skateboard or bike, but I don’t think we’re there yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do see some sort of regulation around electric personal transport in the future though.

Also good on the alternatives. Hopefully it’ll drive prices down and force whatsftheirfaces to stop being dinguses on self repairing your own stuff.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

Frankly it wouldn’t be the worst thing to need people to have some sort of qualifier to operate one as you can do a lot more damage with one of these to yourself and others than a regular skateboard or bike, but I don’t think we’re there yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do see some sort of regulation around electric personal transport in the future though.

Also good on the alternatives. Hopefully it’ll drive prices down and force whatsftheirfaces to stop being dinguses on self repairing your own stuff.

I don't disagree in principle, but it's a real tough thing to regulate, as things with self balancing tech & electric motors include things like wheelchairs and assistive tech, and the advocates there are pretty vocal and don't want any restrictions. I know of some efforts to regulate this stuff, but they tend to be totally restrictive, and not the 'you can if you have a license' type of thing, which would cost money to stand up and manage. Which I personally think would suck.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh I agree with you there. I don’t see a reasonable path forward to keep things under control, especially if that gets delegated to the state level. Heck, drones have the same problem and they’re barely kept in check and that’s with the FAA getting roped in.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just found this thread. I've had two Onewheel Pints. First I lost due to an ex and just rebought one back in November. I really love these things.

I used to laugh that the community calls it "floating" but it really is a great way to describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Beastie posted:

Just found this thread. I've had two Onewheel Pints. First I lost due to an ex and just rebought one back in November. I really love these things.

I used to laugh that the community calls it "floating" but it really is a great way to describe it.

Yeah, the Pints are super fun. I got one at the start of the pandemic as a thing to try, and it was cheap enough to take a risk on. Got me hooked.