Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its no bg2 but its also no torment

its deec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

no i have not because i'm not into 4k FPS games where somebody calls me the n-word because i managed to land a neck shot. go with god,tho

fair enough. tldr is that its not uncommon for games to be 100gb+ these days, some reaching 150-250gb+ range - and these often release in that size with day 1 mandatory download update of 20-50gb

thankfully we should see the industry pull back a little bit from the insanity in the coming 1-3 years, because the root cause for game size inflation is technical inadequacy of previous generation gaming consoles, with a lot of assets being at best just duplicated

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

no i have not because i'm not into 4k FPS games where somebody calls me the n-word because i managed to land a neck shot. go with god,tho

lol jonny woke up extra salty today

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

have you seen game sizes these days? 100 was more than enough for anything i could imagine maybe back when i first got that speed, in 2010, but in 2022 i have better things to do than patiently wait for something to download

idk man. at 400 megabits i can download 100 gigs in about half an hour. i don't mind going to make a sandwich or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

idk man. at 400 megabits i can download 100 gigs in about half an hour. i don't mind going to make a sandwich or something

im sure it hasnt gone amiss for you that 400 is 100 times 4. if you'd ask me to put down a line for where internet speed may be excessive for a modern prosumer, my subjective take would be somewhere in 300-500 range

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have gigabit and get roughly half that. it isnt symmetric. it's fast enough that i never have to worry about speed or throttling or anything. just download whatever i want, from wherever i want, while doing work meetings, while ms jones watches netflix or w/e

we dont have any 4k screens in the house. maybe one day :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly if it's a brand new video game i also don't mind waiting 4 hours for it to download. i'm not a little kid on christmas morning. as you said, you have better things to do than wait around. go and do those things.

now if i had to wait 4 hours before i could start a movie, like in the bad old days, yeah gently caress that. but even at 100mbps i don't

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

honestly if it's a brand new video game i also don't mind waiting 4 hours for it to download. i'm not a little kid on christmas morning. as you said, you have better things to do than wait around. go and do those things.

now if i had to wait 4 hours before i could start a movie, like in the bad old days, yeah gently caress that. but even at 100mbps i don't

Right. the only reason somebody has to be super hornt to get a game fast is if a patch drops and they want to use some item dupe exploit or w/e to get ahead before everybody else logs on. I'll go watch empire strikes back again and then go back to the game and score some honest wins.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

as you said, you have better things to do than wait around. go and do those things.

the specific example there is opening a game to a surprise 50 or whatever gb update. at one point a game i played had several of those in a week, in like 40-70gb range. at 1 gbps effective i can afford to just ignore these logistics and not like have to remember to check my twitter mid-day to start my desktop for an update release to have the game ready for the time i arranged a game with someone in the evening

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The only people who should care about such an update are professional gamers, who would simply submit a reimbursement request to their employer for a game delay due to an update. Sorted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway here is the last aviation weather report from that island that exploded

code:
NFTF 150505Z 31009KT 9999 TS FEW009 SCT016CB 28/26 Q1008 RMK VA CLD OVER TBU,RAIN ROCK
Fua'amoto International Airport, 15th of the month 0505 Zulu time, visibility greater than 10 kilometers, winds 310 degrees at 9 knots, thunderstorms, few clouds at 900 feet, scattered clouds at 1600 feet (cumulonimbus), temperature 28 degrees, dewpoint 26, altimeter 100.8 hPa. Remarks: volcanic ash cloud over airport, raining rocks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

but also i have reasonably specific ideas for what and when i want to do on my leisure time. i dont really ever have "hmm ill lounge now for 2 or maybe 6 hours and see what is available for my distraction"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

anyway here is the last aviation weather report from that island that exploded

code:
NFTF 150505Z 31009KT 9999 TS FEW009 SCT016CB 28/26 Q1008 RMK VA CLD OVER TBU,RAIN ROCK
Remarks: volcanic ash cloud over airport, raining rocks

lol metal as gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the specific example there is opening a game to a surprise 50 or whatever gb update. at one point a game i played had several of those in a week, in like 40-70gb range. at 1 gbps effective i can afford to just ignore these logistics and not like have to remember to check my twitter mid-day to start my desktop for an update release to have the game ready for the time i arranged a game with someone in the evening

so leave steam open and set to auto-update? then you will always have the latest patch.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that volcano explosion was absolutely massive

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1482234355418546176

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

so leave steam open and set to auto-update? then you will always have the latest patch.

i dont run my desktop if i dont use it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's a lot of commotion for something ive clearly labelled as a luxury being of use for me at the life-threatening extra $6.85 per month over something more ordinary

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i play ps5 and switch so the limiting factor there tends to be nintendo/sony servers anyway

it is annoying that i have to remember to buy a game a couple hours before i actually want to play it. but it's pretty minor tbh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i think latvians are still not allowed to register on psn lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's a lot of commotion for something ive clearly labelled as a luxury being of use for me at the life-threatening extra $6.85 per month over something more ordinary

that's $6.85 you could have spent on hentai

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I get my hentai for free by drawing my own big eyed creeps loving :smug:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nomnom Cookie posted:

who the gently caress buys hentai

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

hentai? is that a new metal band?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hbag posted:

who the gently caress buys hentai

did you pass the hentai tracker test too?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

do not post about hentai

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i for one support the ban on anime

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i for one support the ban on anime

what about lain

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cls: this fog that set in around Seattle is crazy. going to guess the volcano is doing it.

Minecraft is insane with raytracing lmao

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

getting real high and working on Goon Projects for the new RSF
shitload of snacks and a jerma stream
very nice

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

born on a buy you posted:

cls: this fog that set in around Seattle is crazy. going to guess the volcano is doing it.

oh huh i hadn't thought of that

pretty nuts today though yeah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we have unnecessarily fast internet in part because my so needs to be able to work. and then i don’t have to worry about forgetting to not do something and prevent him from working

i doubt i would really notice much if it were cut in half or quartered on my own

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

do not post about hentai

gee foo, how come your mom lets you watch two hentais?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
100-200 mbps is good enough. even doubling your speeds from there means big games take an hour vs 1/2 hour, and that’s decreasing returns territory. I have 1 gig because the price is good but had zero issues at 1/5 of that. better speeds are nice but once you hit 100 it’s Fine

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just checked and the Apple TV’s getting 800mbs down. More than plenty. Only 60 bucks a month, pretty good by American standards

Watched The Green Knight in 4K a few weeks ago and it all just worked and was gorgeous.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cls: managed to get 8.6 liters of aquavit at 40% abv, not too shabby! Was shooting for at least 8L. Got a new 10L barrel that’s full of water to seal things up and I should be able to start aging the stuff tomorrow.

Haven’t tasted any yet but aroma wise the aniseed and Angelica is really coming through even though I used way more caraway & dill & cardamom, Doesn’t seem that aquavit-y but it’s pretty dang pleasant. We’ll see if the caraway & dill come through more when it mellows out a bit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hbag posted:

what about lain

lain is an example of why the ban exists in the first place, don’t be so basic

I support the ban but also support exceptions for as smoka and jony

mystes
May 31, 2006

Awfully unfair to grandfather in Jonny and Smoka but not to grandchild in hbag

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

Awfully unfair to grandfather in Jonny and Smoka but not to grandchild in hbag

hbag has terrible taste tho and anyways i dont watch anime anymore

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Tried watching The latest Baki season (some sort of reboot I guess?) on the netflixes and it was bad so I stopped.

The Witcher anime was cool though

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
anime is good and you should examine your internalized racism if you dislike it