Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Inner Light posted:

Glass half empty kinda guy eh?

more like a “wall treatment properly applied” kind of guy, but sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ok Comboomer posted:

more like a “wall treatment properly applied” kind of guy, but sure

Well I purposely cut it off and framed the bottom out so to me it is properly done. I found that it looked better to stop early than cut the tiles and given I’m the person looking at it every day I did it the way I liked it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have a guide for making a corner desk from ikea countertops?

I do not but I’ve noticed my Home Depot has started carrying butcher block desk kits where you can buy from two sizes of top and a few options for what they go on. Seemed all pretty affordable.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tortilla_chip posted:

One per job. Long live remote work.

I actually have 4 laptops on my desk and I have considered using a magazine rack in the past.
Main laptop is docked and I remote into corporate laptops issued by clients A, B and C.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

I actually have 4 laptops on my desk and I have considered using a magazine rack in the past.
Main laptop is docked and I remote into corporate laptops issued by clients A, B and C.

I am curious how a corporate client large enough to mandate an issued laptop also does not have security policies that disallow being remoted into. I haven’t been able to do that myself so it’s nice that you can.

Most stuff these days at my gig uses a VM desktop environment too.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inner Light posted:

Most stuff these days at my gig uses a VM desktop environment too.

This is how I've been working for a while.

Laptop on a stand, then a 32" 4k monitor with a 1440p window remoted into my work VM. Other crap (slack/zoom/browser) arranged around it.

It works quite well for me.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
why is the husky adjustable workbench so revered? Itr's a freaking hand crank tool bench with a crossbar that costs as much as a proper standing electric adjust desk

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

styls trill epic posted:

why is the husky adjustable workbench so revered? Itr's a freaking hand crank tool bench with a crossbar that costs as much as a proper standing electric adjust desk

Hand crank my desk? What am I, a farmer

Uplift all the way

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

It's definitely not the same price. 62" husky is 250 USD and anything electric with roughly the same dimensions is north of 500 USD from what I've seen

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
My "UpLift 700" from 2012 is still going strong. I sanded and resealed a few years back otherwise same as always.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
A

styls trill epic posted:

Affordability/value and the thick rear end solid wood top is what sold me. Granted I don't use the crank that often since I misplaced the bit for my drill in my recent move, but it's a really high quality attractive desk. Think I paid $299 for the 72"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Husky goes on sale semiannually, which make it a better bargain.

I find no need to transition back and forth enough to justify the increase of price, but my wife sometimes complains and doesn't fully raise and lower it so it's definitely something to consider.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

The Husky goes on sale semiannually, which make it a better bargain.

Is there a time of year when this is? My wife wants a second one in the office for herself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm sorry I have only just noticed it on my diy trips.

Sidenote: I have a tractor supply I should go to instead of Home Depot, but they charge triple for hardware and fasteners.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lovely phone pic, added a 34" on top of the 38" :sun:

I was sceptical about having a flat 34" stacked with a curved 38", but it seems okay for now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I didn’t know ppl bought funko pops of the bad star wars movies

Edit: sorry, I’m being a bigger dick than usual. Are those displays all for code? Racing/flight sims? Does each one have a dedicated role? How are you using the new one up top?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 18, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I got it as a Christmas gift a few years ago, I like it.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Edit: sorry, I’m being a bigger dick than usual. Are those displays all for code? Racing/flight sims? Does each one have a dedicated role? How are you using the new one up top?

I play EVE :downs:
Left monitor generally has discord + spotify, top monitor is new so I haven't really landed on anything concrete yet, but so far streams/youtube/series etc end up there while I'm doing other stuff. The 38" is for whatever I'm focusing on, FPS/MMO or what have you. Right monitor is for irc/jabber :v:

I also WFH a few days per week, still trying to figure out the best combination (can't use all 4 anyway).

Wibla fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 18, 2022

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you look all the to the right you can barely see a Rifter model from Eve Online.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Wibla posted:

I got it as a Christmas gift a few years ago, I like it.

I play EVE :downs:
Left monitor generally has discord + spotify, top monitor is new so I haven't really landed on anything concrete yet, but so far streams/youtube/series etc end up there while I'm doing other stuff. The 38" is for whatever I'm focusing on, FPS/MMO or what have you. Right monitor is for irc/jabber :v:

I also WFH a few days per week, still trying to figure out the best combination (can't use all 4 anyway).

Hi Wibla it's Ackbarre.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Work is remodeling and consolidating buildings so they told people to take home the extra chairs. Don’t mind if I do, I needed a proper office chair for this desk anyways since I moved my current one down to the basement desk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've kind of followed this thread for a while, and have been refining my own workspaces a lot over the last couple years, and I feel compelled to ask why it seems like so many people are sitting so close to their monitors. In a lot of these pictures the keyboard and mouse are sitting right in front of the monitors, and it just makes my neck and back hurt imagining using them in that position.

Is this a result of being habituated to laptops or something? For ergonomics I keep my monitors just over an arm's length away, and consider a keyboard tray an absolute necessity.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Its crazy. Too close

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Yea it’s pretty weird. I also like my monitor a little over arm’s length. It’s better for your eyes. I don’t use a keyboard tray though. That’s just weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Yea it’s pretty weird. I also like my monitor a little over arm’s length. It’s better for your eyes. I don’t use a keyboard tray though. That’s just weird.

I guess I should've clarified that in many cases the keyboard tray/drawer is necessary to be able to have the proper distance from the monitor and keep the desktop at a usable height with the keyboard at a good typing height. On a big enough desk at the right height I can see not needing a keyboard tray.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I keep my keyboard/mouse in front of my monitor but also the monitor roughly an arm's length away, I like having the space between for documents or whatever I'm working on. This does need a deeper desk than some people can fit admittedly (my current desk is 60cm deep).

Never liked keyboard trays, the height difference always felt wrong and got in the way if I had to flip a page in a book or something. If you're working with limited space though you do what you gotta do.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: posted in the wrong thread, meant the chair one.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any thoughts on how to better use this corner space in my master bedroom where I have my desk currently?

The wall on the left ends to an open door to the bathroom, and on the right is where the door opens inward.

Right now I'm just using an Ikea top on a VIVO motorized frame but it doesn't fill the space well. I think I want to move it to my office, but I'm unsure what to replace it with.

disregard that it's a filthy rat's nest, i've had no motivation to tidy it up if i'm just going to redo it, hence why there's nothing on the walls either. I've basically neglected this space since I moved in.

Corner desk? Wall mount TV? Just more wall stuff so it doesn't look so sad and weird? Thinking if nothing else those bookshelf speakers should go up on wall mounts.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2022

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Deviant posted:

Any thoughts on how to better use this corner space in my master bedroom where I have my desk currently?

The wall on the left ends to an open door to the bathroom, and on the right is where the door opens inward.

Right now I'm just using an Ikea top on a VIVO motorized frame but it doesn't fill the space well. I think I want to move it to my office, but I'm unsure what to replace it with.

disregard that it's a filthy rat's nest, i've had no motivation to tidy it up if i'm just going to redo it, hence why there's nothing on the walls either. I've basically neglected this space since I moved in.

Corner desk? Wall mount TV? Just more wall stuff so it doesn't look so sad and weird? Thinking if nothing else those bookshelf speakers should go up on wall mounts.

All of those things could work. Corner desk facing the wall, general organization, a thorough cleaning, and stuff on the wall (maybe a plant or two) would go a long way

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Move it to the office and replace with, I dunno, a chest of drawers or a small sitting area. Bedrooms shouldn't have full on battlestations if you have space elsewhere. Sleeping and banging.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

All of those things could work. Corner desk facing the wall, general organization, a thorough cleaning, and stuff on the wall (maybe a plant or two) would go a long way

Yeah, the decor options are gonna be mandatory. Half the reason there's nothing on the wall here is it all went into my office with my work computer, my 3d printers, my 3d print workstation and all my cosplay/project stuff when i moved in. Mostly I'm coming here for thoughts on furniture, as it's harder to change rapidly.

Barry posted:

Move it to the office and replace with, I dunno, a chest of drawers or a small sitting area. Bedrooms shouldn't have full on battlestations if you have space elsewhere. Sleeping and banging.

The office is where all the above stuff happens and it does not have room for any additional furniture. I specifically have my noisy work poo poo over there so it's seperated from the bedroom. Your point is taken, but it's just not going to happen at this time. Maybe eventually if one of my tenants moves out I'll take their room back for myself.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 1, 2022

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Buy an expensive glassfront corner china cabinet and then fill it with funko pops

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Buy an expensive glassfront corner china cabinet and then fill it with funko pops

see now someone is making sense

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Deviant posted:

The office is where all the above stuff happens and it does not have room for any additional furniture. I specifically have my noisy work poo poo over there so it's seperated from the bedroom. Your point is taken, but it's just not going to happen at this time. Maybe eventually if one of my tenants moves out I'll take their room back for myself.

From the wording of your post it seemed like you had room in your office for it. But yes if that's not an option then like our other buddy said, clean it up, wall art, some plants, small chest of drawers next to it, etc.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Cool, sounds like I'm basically on the right page. I just wasn't sure if corner desks had any dumb caveats to worry about or if there was maybe a solution I hadn't thought of. The sort of poo poo I wouldn't notice at first.

Thanks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Is there a KVM that people like? I have a laptop, desktop, and two monitors and want to be able to toggle machines at a touch without needing multiple keyboards/mice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there a KVM that people like? I have a laptop, desktop, and two monitors and want to be able to toggle machines at a touch without needing multiple keyboards/mice.

I don’t have a KVM, I just have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse + KB that have buttons enabling you to switch between up to 3 saved devices.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t have a KVM, I just have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse + KB that have buttons enabling you to switch between up to 3 saved devices.

Yeah I think this is the way to go as I assume you have one monitor connected to each computer? I just have a single monitor. I used to use this KVM but I am now using this one. I don't think I've seen a KVM that supports dual monitors, since the idea behind is to use one monitor (and kb/m) with two or more computers. If your monitors are daisy chained then the KVM shouldn't notice/care afaik.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

El Mero Mero posted:

So you are wanting something so you can use a single mouse and keyboard on multiple computers? Synergy is still around, but it's paid only now. Microsoft has Mouse without Borders for free, and works great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I think this is the way to go as I assume you have one monitor connected to each computer? I just have a single monitor. I used to use this KVM but I am now using this one. I don't think I've seen a KVM that supports dual monitors, since the idea behind is to use one monitor (and kb/m) with two or more computers. If your monitors are daisy chained then the KVM shouldn't notice/care afaik.

No I have two monitors that are both connected to the same two computers. Sometimes I’ll plug the laptop into just one.

When I jump to Apple Silicon I’ll be able to run both 4K displays off my laptop simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Get a USB switch from Monoprice and use ControlMyMonitor scripts to switch inputs. That way you can still use G-Sync on your gaming PC.