Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

he usually edits that stuff into the post after GDQ is over, so people can get a consensus on recommendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Argh I look away for one minute and I missed the written apology

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I will shamelessly post this on the new page too

I'm sure he will be back to compile them. From what I took notes and gathered, and I have yet to see a lot of good stuff towards the end of the week

Metroid Prime Hunters
DKC2 race
Mega Man 2
Bust-a-move 4
Actraiser race
Beyond Oasis
Part Time UFO
Pumpkin Jack
Marathon 2: Durandal *
PAON
We love Katamari
GeoGuessr
Majora's Mask 3D

(awful block)
Zelda's adventure *
Taz-Mania
Zadette

Discworld

Circle of the Moon

Rockman & Forte
Spider-Man 2
Wario Land
Legend of Spyro
Earthbound
Link to the Past

Typing of the Dead
GeoGuessr

e: Raiding theblacktastic, nice

Fun fact: back when at the end of SGDQ 2019 ... ? they raided Cypherin and he got so much traffic his poor old laptop couldn't handle it. I've been following him ever since, he's a great guy.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 16, 2022

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
And for a laugh: Playing the start of Preshow skit before we go to the traditional GDQ Raid

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
pumpkin jack, pion, katamari, marathon 2, marble madness(?)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

:yeah:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This was the first GDQ I donated to, felt good. Can't wait for the next one.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

they're good pictures, thanks for making 'em

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
A few good ones not in the above:

Pokemon Crystal randomizer
Chicory
Spiderman Remaster
SNOLF

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kena and Webbed were both World Record runs and also just good anyway

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone remember what spot the Hotarubi interview was at? Trying to find it from the long VOD

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hahaha GDQ went and raided theblacktastic's channel and the poor dude has 16k new subs and people are gifting 10 subs all over the place and he can't concentrate on what he's doing and can't keep up with the chat, he's completely flummoxed. :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's what generally happens when you get 40 thousand new viewers at once, lol

Last time I watched they raided kekumanshoyu and he was completely blown away and aforementioned Cypherin even more

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anfauglir posted:

A few good ones not in the above:

Pokemon Crystal randomizer
Chicory
Spiderman Remaster
SNOLF

Don't forget the insane Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice run we saw today and the great Portal 2 run

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

also the mgs run at the end owned

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ewe2 posted:

Hahaha GDQ went and raided theblacktastic's channel and the poor dude has 16k new subs and people are gifting 10 subs all over the place and he can't concentrate on what he's doing and can't keep up with the chat, he's completely flummoxed. :v:

He deserves it. He's a fantastic streamer and deserves all the success in the world.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Discworld was def. not part of the Awful Block

Suggestions:
Chicory
Spacegulls
Zelda's Adventure
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Taz-Mania for the worst audio ever
Sonic Jam (Game.com) for a corporate mistake
Discworld
Donut County for the chillest run

Three Dirty Dwarves
We Love Katamari
Typing of the Dead

Oblivion
Stardew Valley
Wave Break

Halo: Combat Evolved for pulling off most of this live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjt8zSIGfk

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

That's about half of PCF's total operating budget for the average year

That makes it all the better that we could help raise so much for them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Discworld was def. not part of the Awful Block

Adding one additional space in there (and you are right ofc)

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
oh yeah typing of the dead for sure, geoguessr is both very impressive and had a hilarious moment towards the end

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How could I forget to add GeoGuessr.

Also probably check out Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II just for Argick's costume.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in the end, the frames we saved were our own

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I was feeling not great after my earlier shift but this one was so good.

Also shoutout to Cartridgeblowers and everyone involved with the tech/staff of the event. The layout was sick and there's so many people volunteering. I'd kinda want to do something for the event myself too in the future, if there's a chance.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone have the Keizaron-as-Caterknees fanart that they're talking about in the Crystal run? This sounds incredibly haunted and I must see it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I started VODing stuff from the Sekiro blindfolded run and this is totally insane. Nice of Spike to step in as helper when the commentator is pushing through while having covid!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

every list is incomplete if they're missing the following:

PAON-ぱおん- BEYOND THE PIEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFNL0eretAo&t=198s

and the best interstitial song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoKTXAyoWK0

motorcycle motorcycle
motorcycle motorcycle
motorcycle motorcycle
chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a good event, imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll die before I listen to that acapella motorcycle song again tho, every song on earth should be Black Knight 2000 and that's no exception

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Huge props to everyone involved in technical and hosting. I know it's subjective but this has been my favourite GDQ in a while, there were so many runs I wanted to watch, and I've still got a bunch to catch up on but so far I haven't seen a single disappointing run. Highlights (so far) I haven't seen discussed much yet, I'd say KH2 randomiser, SNOLF, Halo CE, and Stepmania. Also I know Sekiro has been discussed a lot but holy poo poo.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

every year i intentionally dont slam down all the VODs, theres a bunch from last GDQ I haven't seen either, then catch up when im playing diablo or whatever.

are there any other marathons that produce such watchable vods?

edit: also i definitely caught a donation from hempuli last night getting read, goon dev of baba is you :3:

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 16, 2022

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Epic High Five posted:

a good event, imho

:yeah:

I managed to donate $250 this marathon and caught as much of it as I could, looking forward to the must-watch lists

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I just love how much love there is in the community. I wish I enjoyed playing video games enough to actually run something and be in this crowd more than twice a year.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I was really impressed with Twitch chat this time 'round. Every time I dared to look, they were being super supportive and positive.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

Does anyone remember what spot the Hotarubi interview was at? Trying to find it from the long VOD

34:25:52 on the Saturday long VOD

IMJack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 16, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slickdrac posted:

So uhhh, OP apparently abandoned thread 6 minutes into the event, anyone else maintain any list?
It wasn't "abandoned" as much as "I worked six out of seven days this week including Sunday so I have not had the time to actually follow along with the thread this year"!

I will be gathering up recommendations but don't have the time to dig through the entire thread, so I will mainly be looking at this page + anything posted from now + maybe the last couple pages.

So definitely post recommendations if you got them, I only managed to watch something like 20 runs live for the entire duration of the event, so I don't got much to recommend myself and my post-marathon catchup watchlist is significantly longer than it usually is.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Just noticed nobody has recommended Environmental Station Alpha or It Takes Two yet

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It was a very good GDQ.

My recommendations based on what I managed to catch:

DKC2 race - Real tight race, lots of great moments, great commentary.
Sonic 4 Episode II - Simultaneously the most wholesome and cursed GDQ world record.
Pokemon Crystal - Watch this one less for the run itself and more for the amazing couch hangout vibe and fantastic memes. So good it spawned a new GDQ chat emote.
GeoGuessr - It's always a blast to watch people who are better at geography than you will ever be.
Awful Block - It's Awful Block.
Kingdom Hearts II randomizer - Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of work has gone into this randomizer over the last several months, and it's worth it for the end of the race!
crossbeats REV. Sunrise - Showcase of an obscure touchscreen rhythm game with lots of cool tunes.
Rockman & Forte - Really great run of a difficult speedgame, with very good commentary from PJ!
Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories - More "couch hangout" vibes.
Stepmania/NotITG - Showcase of an obscure "challenge mod" subset of a not-as-obscure open-source emulator of the least obscure rhythm game.
EarthBound - Japanese runner does a TAS with their bare hands. Insane RNG manipulation. I'd say this is on the level of NEScardinality's Dragon Warrior run from a couple years back.
Zelda LttP - Legendary Japanese speedrunner hotarubi reminds us that walls are merely a suggestion.
Tetris TGM - It's motherfucking Tetris TGM.
Sekiro - Blindfolded run, with great commentary.

e: omfg I forgot Chicory! Punchy's always a must-see.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 16, 2022

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TeaJay posted:

Also shoutout to Cartridgeblowers and everyone involved with the tech/staff of the event. The layout was sick and there's so many people volunteering. I'd kinda want to do something for the event myself too in the future, if there's a chance.

Grazi. There's a lot of unsung heroes behind-the-scenes doing cool, cool stuff. It's a very professional operation. There's a reason those credits are so long.

As far as recommendations, here's runs I got to see and liked:
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 - An extremely close race with some top tier players.
  • Mega Man 2 - Quite possibly the best Mega Man 2 run at a GDQ ever. coolkid's amazing.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - Anything blindfolded is worth it.
  • Spider-Man - I just like Spider-Man.
  • Part-Time UFO - Very difficult to master game with a lovely OST.
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3 - The prettiest SNES game.
  • Chicory - Punchy's commentary is the best.
  • Super Mario Galaxy - An interesting race where runners had different routes and techniques. Great commentary.
  • Gargoyle's Quest II - Very pretty NES game with just a perfect run.
  • Final Fantasy XIII - Maybe not great if you've never played the game, but if you have it's a great jRPG run.
  • Three Dirty Dwarves - It's a Lizstar Saturn run. The end.
  • Snolf 0 - Sonic but golf.
  • Sonic R - The best music of the whole marathon.
  • Sonic 4 - I think there's lots of great
  • Pokemon Crystal - It's unwatchable and yet hilarious.
  • Trackmania - Not my thing but the runner was endearing.
  • Halo 5 - I was hosting so I mean
  • Diddy Kong Racing - I was also hosting here but mostly this was just a quick, close race
  • Castlevania: Dracula X - Another close race of a game that is unfairly derided.
  • Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix HD - Also incomprehensible but still a lot of fun.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories - A randomizer that made no sense but was incredibly neat to watch.
  • Portal Reloaded - Msushi is already a legend.
  • Super Mario 3D Land - I'm with those who liked the overactive commentary. Also I like Mario.
  • StepMania/NotITG - :psyduck:
  • Hades - Just made me want to play Hades again.
  • Wario Land: Shake It! - Another fun runner with another underrated game.
  • Halo: Combat Evolved - I hosted but also lots of cool OOB stuff
  • Link to the Past - A legendary runner returns with a legendary run. Also hotarubi followed me on twitter and I'm still elated
  • Sekiro - :psyduck:
  • Portal 2 - See above, re: Portal
  • Deltarune - A great run with a fun, energetic runner
  • Metal Gear Solid - The best in the world on one of the best games of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
if you're watching awful block, give meegah mem a miss.