Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is apparently a post from the Amico Facebook group, and it's all sorts of sad:

Like, imagine someone being really excited how Hong Kong Phooey is gonna make a comeback to a new generation thanks to the Intellivision Amico. Imagine that.

Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh God. Other than having drunk too much of the Amiico marketing's koolaid this reads more like the guy is pining for the mono culture of the 70s and 80s when all you had was the 5 channels on TV and what was the top hits on the radio etc. That's never going to be again thanks to streaming services and youtube content creators and the wealth of media we have now. On the flip side it means it's easier than ever to track down those old shows and show them to your kids. They may not give a gently caress but you can do it.

Though I'm accidentally agreeing with this dude that yeah network TV sucks these days unless you like crime and medical dramas. Good thing there's decades of old wacky shows that lived and died before I was even born that I can go watch instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh God. Other than having drunk too much of the Amiico marketing's koolaid this reads more like the guy is pining for the mono culture of the 70s and 80s when all you had was the 5 channels on TV and what was the top hits on the radio etc. That's never going to be again thanks to streaming services and youtube content creators and the wealth of media we have now. On the flip side it means it's easier than ever to track down those old shows and show them to your kids. They may not give a gently caress but you can do it.

Though I'm accidentally agreeing with this dude that yeah network TV sucks these days unless you like crime and medical dramas. Good thing there's decades of old wacky shows that lived and died before I was even born that I can go watch instead.

AM I RIGHT!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Intellivision!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh lol I thought that was Tallarico posting.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hey now I'm not agreeing totally with that dude, just pointing out the reason a bunch of that stuff was ever popular back then was because there were few alternatives. Today we don't have that problem.

Either way the Amiico is dumb and bad nostalgia bait and that's a lol.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It also makes a lot of sense to enjoy children's entertainment when you're a child, and not enjoy children's entertainment that's produced when you are no longer a child.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

Intellivision!

oohyah

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'll give him this, he picked something that's still on TV as an example to complain about. Most of these rants can't even get that part right.

Of course, it's a show that's been on for twenty years, so.... y'know. Not that much credit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I had somehow missed that the Amico was not just crowdfunded but has private investors, some of whom have no idea what the product is and were referred by "investment advice" youtubers, and are also being strung along by Tallarico. Absolutely amazing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of those private investors is also the German government.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of those private investors is also the German government.

It's such a goddamned mess

:allears:

I almost (almost!) feel like I'm watching a plot in a tv show, like some season long arc, and I have zero idea where it's going to end up, but no. This is actually happening.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Maybe Internet Historian will do a video on the Amico debacle one day. I still watch The Fall of 76 video every so often.

Although I was hoping he would do one for Cyberpunk 2077...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Complaining that video games are all blood and guts and you're not allowed to have imagination anymore, and I thought I hadn't seen such 'I haven't actually played a video game for 20 years' energy since the Star Citizen thread.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I pre ordered the Amico and kind of forgot about it . Looks like it’s going well. I really wanted a couch bullshit game console which this looked like , and enjoyed AD&D on the OG Intellivision.

Might have to get a refund and buy a Nintendo switch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Partycat posted:

Intellivision Amico: Might have to get a refund and buy a Nintendo switch

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Partycat posted:

I pre ordered the Amico and kind of forgot about it . Looks like it’s going well. I really wanted a couch bullshit game console which this looked like , and enjoyed AD&D on the OG Intellivision.

For the good of this thread I'm begging you keep the preorder and give us updates if this actually ships. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Partycat posted:

Yes, I recommend doing this.

Hey, pro-tip! You can spend a minimal amount of $ and get shovelware from the Nintendo eshop which will give you a similar experience, plus you'll have the added benefit of spending more $ if you ever want quality experiences, like literally any and all first party Nintendo titles.

Why Tommy didn't just put down money to organize an ultimate Intellivision collection, released for all of the major platforms, complete with accurate ports as well as stylish remakes, is beyond me and anyone else.

The problem isn't necessarily the games themselves; it's the dumbass console attached to it.

Microsoft had a better idea with their retro arcade for the 360, and that still flopped.

Edit: vvvvvv yeah, this. This will give you the same experience. And you don't need that dumb controller, either.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 16, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Partycat posted:

A Raspberry Pi with retroarch/retropie should allow you to play pretty much any retro gaming you can think of, though MAME roms are hit and miss on the Pi, too many versions to juggle with. You can enjoy that Intellivision AD&D from your couch again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why Tommy didn't just put down money to organize an ultimate Intellivision collection, released for all of the major platforms, complete with accurate ports as well as stylish remakes, is beyond me and anyone else.

See what I said above with Star Citizen vibes of someone who hasn't actually played any games or been meaningfully involved with video games for 20+ years until Kickstarter came along.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The real secret is practically all of the intellevision library is garbage, even when it was new. I'm not sure there would be any value in remakes either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

The real secret is practically all of the intellevision library is garbage, even when it was new. I'm not sure there would be any value in remakes either.

Like I mentioned, the Atari 2600 outsold the Intellivision by like 10 to 1, and that newer Atari console died a silent and pitiful death.

I have no idea why anyone would expect an Intellivision rehash to do better than motherfucking ATARI.

Intellivision Amico: There isn't a psyduck big enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was looking at the thread and:

Does... does it actually come with the loving dial controllers?

Like the thing you took from the pre-crash console design was the loving controllers?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking at the thread and:

Does... does it actually come with the loving dial controllers?

Like the thing you took from the pre-crash console design was the loving controllers?

Not only does it come with those, that’s what they are hyping as their major selling point

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the controllers are neat, because you could potentially do something new and interesting with a controller that has a dial and side buttons and its own screen and whatnot.

But it's attached to the Amico, which has a bunch of rules that boil down to "don't bother putting in any more effort than you'd put into phone game shovelware," so ha ha oh well.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's curious how many Youtubers and other people were critical, or at least skeptical, of consoles like the Coleco Chameleon but got right on board with the Amico when the projects are eerily similar. The Cult of Tommy is a real thing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Former Human posted:

It's curious how many Youtubers and other people were critical, or at least skeptical, of consoles like the Coleco Chameleon but got right on board with the Amico when the projects are eerily similar. The Cult of Tommy is a real thing.

Which I don't get why there's a cult of Tommy, I went to his video game live concert and he was an okay MC for it, but I got vibes that he has quite the ego or is at least slightly too cocky even back then. And although the Chameleon was similar their toy show mock up got outed as a fake really quickly and early on, which got people pissed enough to complain to whoever has the rights to the Coleco name, and the rights holders pulled the plug on it as it wasn't up to the standards the fans expected (ie didn't want the backlash from a bad product). Did Tommy buy all Intellivision IP rights or is he licensing them? That may be a key difference here along with the Amiico itself being a real but lovely product.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really don't understand Tommy's end game here. I mean, I know what he's STRIVING for (mass adoption of the Amico), but is that what he's really, truly still expecting to happen? Assuming it gets released to begin with, like.... How can anyone involved truly think it's going to make any sort of impact?

The ego, it's blinding (to him).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You just don't understand the man's struggle.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1483183305235206145

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Posted at 9:11, fittingly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZeRkgXogKE

I cannot escape the ouya

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There is news! News that wasn't publicized at all, and that kind of had to be assembled through LinkedIn updates and such, but news regardless.

• Tommy has been busted down from CEO to "Founder/CCO". Phil Adam, who handled the teardown of Interplay years ago, is the new boss.
  • Within days of the change, the company apparently disbanded and reincorporated in Delaware for tax purposes.
  • According to an interview the new CEO did with one of those Old Man Retrogaming Youtube Channels With Like Six Subscribers (you know the ones), they've realized their price point is unrealistic, to say the least, and after they ship pre-orders there'll be a lengthy delay before consoles are made available again at a higher price.
  • Oh, and apparently their operating system is still unoptimized enough that they're having trouble getting some games running. Neat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So my prediction goes from "definitely not happening" to "slight chance it releases this year."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

So my prediction goes from "definitely not happening" to "slight chance it releases this year."

Ah, but our collective prediction of "no one's gonna buy this poo poo" still holds strong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatTheNESpunk/status/1490827509461438467?t=-ghuyGbYasfRJwgVzfJtvg&s=19

https://youtu.be/5bhMdhcdfMY

The trailer is kind of an improvement, but had some baffling parts. They reiterate that the controls are easy to figure out while showing a confused grandma who has a kid show her how to do it. The disc accessory for your phone :dogstare:. And then the spot where they talk about all the money raised from investors?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The “make <Something> <Adjective> again” slogan should tell you all you need to know.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

This isn't even a remotely fresh take but every single one of those games looks like loving trash

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Absolutely. The footage of the families playing looked fine but then they'd show the games and any semblance of an illusion just fell apart. That poo poo might entertain a kid on a tablet who doesn't know better but no one else in the family is gonna be entertained. Also they tried to bring up the "games parents grew up playing" angle and it falls flat. The parents these days grew up playing SNES through PS2 games in their childhood.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah, but our collective prediction of "no one's gonna buy this poo poo" still holds strong.

This is kinda like Star Citizen at this point isn't it? In the respect that everyone who was gonna buy in has bought in already and the core market is saturated. Do we get to laugh when those who speculated on the "physical" games get stuck holding the bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/PatTheNESpunk/status/1490827509461438467?t=-ghuyGbYasfRJwgVzfJtvg&s=19

https://youtu.be/5bhMdhcdfMY

The trailer is kind of an improvement, but had some baffling parts. They reiterate that the controls are easy to figure out while showing a confused grandma who has a kid show her how to do it. The disc accessory for your phone :dogstare:. And then the spot where they talk about all the money raised from investors?!

I know “Switch did it better” is like a common criticism of this thing but if you swapped out the controllers with joycons and the bad looking games with good ones this could just be a straight up clone of a Switch commercial