Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

polyester concept posted:

i have a breville espresso machine and a burr grinder but i never know how much grounds to use or how hard to tamp it. i do the finest grind setting (turkish), and somewhere I was told that the compressed puck should be almost solid when done but it never is even if i really put my body weight into pressing it. i can usually just rinse it out with water. the tamper it came with is garbage too. am I doing something wrong or is my machine not strong enough or what.

what about the tamper is garbage? if it bugs you you can definitely buy a different one; just make sure it matches the diameter of your portafilter.

anyway how much coffee are you putting into the portafilter? classic double shot is probably going to be 19 gramsish. typically for grind size one might start by going forward until the espresso machine chokes on them then dial it back until you’re getting a consistent shot in x amount of time.

which baskets are you using? it may have come with both pressurized and unpressurized versions (the former have a single hole visible in the bottom)

while you should manage some solidish pucks at some point, you’ll always be able to break up any potential pucks with water; you shouldn’t really dump a lot of coffee grounds down your sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

espresso grind is pretty dang fine and not all grinders will be able to achieve it (even with a "turkish" setting). the puck should be pretty dang firm after tamping but it's not a rock. iirc the typical advice is around 15-20lbs of pressure which is substantial but on the very edge of really "putting your weight into it"

what problem are you actually experiencing? quick/gushing flow? no flow?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oneiros posted:

espresso grind is pretty dang fine and not all grinders will be able to achieve it (even with a "turkish" setting).

agree with this and tbh it sounds like it’s the biggest problem. the finest setting should be able to block your espresso machine. if the grounds aren’t fine enough your puck definitely won’t have any cohesion (it should be firm enough to knock out in mostly one piece but you could easily break it up).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

puck for espresso should basically be one of these (maybe a little less frangible)

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that said, i have special snowflake taste according to modern sensibilities, so ive been ordering everything vaguely hopeful i can find. basically, i hate sour coffee but can perfectly tolerate a bitter cup, which is precisely the opposite of what 3rd wave coffee people value. we have some genuinely good local roasters here in latvia, but all they sell is yigracheffe, acacia, and geisha, and my coffee taste is like “hungover italian on a wednesday morning, 1974, colourised”

i feel like you need to get on naturally processed santos and kill it with 100C water in an aeropress. that would probably bring out all the bitterness, and santos has no acidity at all, especially not from an aeropress.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

i feel like you need to get on naturally processed santos and kill it with 100C water in an aeropress. that would probably bring out all the bitterness, and santos has no acidity at all, especially not from an aeropress.

that's my plan already, to get some pupled natural brazilian. for reference, my top coffies of last year were

7/10: https://en.neroscurocoffee.com/products/yes-blend-specialty?variant=23703013490746

9/10: https://eightouncecoffee.ca/collections/colombia/products/koppi-espresso-colombia-finca-el-porvenir-caturra-washed-250g-8-8oz

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

come to think of it, wet hulled indonesian devil beans have probably the greatest potential to overload you with bitterness.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

come to think of it, wet hulled indonesian devil beans have probably the greatest potential to overload you with bitterness.

i still remember how my boss decided to open her bag of cat poop coffee from work trip when i had a day off (i was responsible for coffee at our office)

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i still remember how my boss decided to open her bag of cat poop coffee from work trip when i had a day off (i was responsible for coffee at our office)
Like she thought you wouldn't approve and didn't want you to know or you're unhappy you missed out?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

Like she thought you wouldn't approve and didn't want you to know or you're unhappy you missed out?

the latter - i even explicitly mentioned kopi luwak to her before she went to indonesia, where we had offices

she paid me a ton though so it’s a shallow wound

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

moka pot makes a perfectly serviceable short coffee, my kitchen isn’t big enough to justify an espresso machine on the counter and even if it was id probably not bother

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo anyone can fit a bambino but there’s also nothing wrong with just wanting a cuppa

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
only mod I wanna do on my espresso machine is to backlight the water container so I can see the level easier. been thinking about it for a while but just never get around to buying the parts lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mediaphage posted:

imo anyone can fit a bambino but there’s also nothing wrong with just wanting a cuppa

can physically fit vs want an extra thing on limited counter space is two different things

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
hey.

HEY!

I just drunk a cof

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

can physically fit vs want an extra thing on limited counter space is two different things

no poo poo

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

may i introduce you to https://www.mieleusa.com/e/built-in-coffee-machine-cva-6405-clean-touch-steel-9676910-p

no counter space used and stebe’s favorite appliance brand too boot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

while i have immense respect for miele hardware, no :staredog: you may absolutely not

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t know who would want to buy a loving built in espresso machine. especially a super automatic! what a nightmare to do maintenance or repairs on

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if you had one in the wall in every room though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

What if you had one in the wall in every room though

the pucks would stay in because you’d never remember to empty them without a full notification. you won’t get that because you cad about from room to room making espresso

then your house will be full of mouldering coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drop em down the frame like the razor blade disposals

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
giant machine in the basement with pipelines to every room

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

pneumatic tubes to carry your coffee to any part of your domicile

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

russians just had maids

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

to their credit, samovars are fully sick

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dioxazine posted:

samovars are great, i miss the ornate samovars of my childhood

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dioxazine posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Neophyte posted:

giant machine in the basement with pipelines to every room

just inject it right into my body

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

thread has got me wondering if I need a "proper" espresso machine instead of the Melitta B2C

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Shaggar posted:

coffee time

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
anyone know of a good book about coffee production? not a huge textbook, but cool and good. about the different processes, maybe some coffee history etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zam Wesell posted:

anyone know of a good book about coffee production? not a huge textbook, but cool and good. about the different processes, maybe some coffee history etc

world atlas of coffee by james hoffman

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

thread has got me wondering if I need a "proper" espresso machine instead of the Melitta B2C

nah, melitta’s good. clean it before the mold kicks in and you’re good to go.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
accidentally broke my bodum pourover chemex-alike while washing it :(

now I have the oxo brew 8-cup maker and it’s pretty needs-suiting. :)

I had a good time fussing over the old one but it’s nice to push a button and get good coffee, especially first thing in the morning.

given recent experience, the thermal carafe is extremely nice

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Went to a drip brewer with thermal carafe this weekend as well and was f'real surprised at how nice it is to get a warm cuppa 2 hrs later

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i need to get an insulated carafe. i always just let it get cold and microwave I but it would be nice to keep it hot without using the warmer that makes it taste burnt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

i need to get an insulated carafe. i always just let it get cold and microwave I but it would be nice to keep it hot without using the warmer that makes it taste burnt

pro tip when you do run hot water through it first. coffe stays hot for hours

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/lilyslynch/status/1483093057037901824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
it’s wild how differently people’s bodies react to caffeine. my partner drinks one cola a day and that’s their only caffeine. but if they can’t get it, whanging headaches ensue. meanwhile I spent decades ingesting tons of caffeine instead of getting actual ADD meds and if I don’t have caffeine for a day or two it’s nbd

at least it was last time I tried. I should probably see if that’s still true