Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
craigslist score. a pair of Brice HXB-406's (they don't sell them any more but i bought my old one for 369, they run around that used) for $400

Time to learn some jaco poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now that is some delicious poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the fretless is SO WEIRD. actually i can get around okay on it? (it has 3/5/7/9/12 etc side dots)

i can already play Dazed and Confused fine so yeah lets run with this

its so rubbery and slidey i love it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does the action have to be kinda high to make it work at all?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nope! it's actually set up way lower than the fretted one (though the necks on these are dual truss rod, the width of an airplane landing strip, and very flat so the actions are low to start with). a key to the fretless sound is the 'mwah' sound which is a little bit of fretboard rattle with some mid boost. makes it sound like an upright pretty closely, and you can get even closer with 'tapewound' strings, which are a metal core but have a nylon wrap

mwah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7e0Yf5UI8Y

tapewounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1cWVVDh40

tapewounds are also loving sick b/c since the wrap is nylon you can get them in a lot of colors, i like the black ones

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

badass

ive been working on i guess a boss battle theme or something from an rpg. it just keeps getting longer and longer. something like 6 or 7 minutes at the moment. i should probably wrap it up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if I buy another bass I'm gonna get one of those weird ones that has levers on the tuning pegs to drop each individual string a whole note on the fly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

if I buy another bass I'm gonna get one of those weird ones that has levers on the tuning pegs to drop each individual string a whole note on the fly

you've seen the charles berthoud video where he runs piccolo strings and four hipshots, right?

dude is a loving ALIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRT_V_3rK3I

any time he's reaching up to the headstock he's flipping hipshots for a whole tone up/down

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

you've seen the charles berthoud video where he runs piccolo strings and four hipshots, right?

dude is a loving ALIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRT_V_3rK3I

any time he's reaching up to the headstock he's flipping hipshots for a whole tone up/down

oh yeah that man is a wizard and is the reason I want to get a set of hipshots. wonder if there's enough room on the headstock of my cheap ibanez bass to slap them on there

e: non-stringed instruments, I'm thinking of getting a cheap clarinet. used to play in middle school and it was a neat instrument, wouldn't mind having one to gently caress around with but idk what a student-grade clarinet costs these days so I'll have to go annoy my local music store

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 14, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah they generally have a pretty close footprint to stock tuners so you can jam em in there on any 4 or 5. sometimes 6's are a little tight but you've got 2.08 octave range on those anyways so shut the gently caress up and hit the notes lol

ignoring my 4 and 5 string ones, i now have 2 basses that are BEADGC and one that is EADGBE, guitar style. It takes a couple minutes of brain rewiring to switch back and forth as with a 6 string bass it covers exactly 25 half steps, and on a bass vi it covers 24, with that half step cheese like guitars have.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Has anyone here used NINJAM? I've gotten it set up for a few of my friends and it's been great even though I have so much more I want to accomplish in terms of jamming and improvising.

been meaning to

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

e: non-stringed instruments, I'm thinking of getting a cheap clarinet. used to play in middle school and it was a neat instrument, wouldn't mind having one to gently caress around with but idk what a student-grade clarinet costs these days so I'll have to go annoy my local music store

get a digital one with midi out so you can play anything on it. i'll probably do that at some point so i can do better wind section solo parts and whatnot (im just going to make lovely flute videos)

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
get an EWI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im lining up singing lessons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

new gear day

it was expensive but worth it, holy poo poo these built-in IRs are good (and extremely revealing of how badly I need a noise suppressor and/or to figure out why my main guitar's humbuckers aren't bucking any hum)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

new gear day

it was expensive but worth it, holy poo poo these built-in IRs are good (and extremely revealing of how badly I need a noise suppressor and/or to figure out why my main guitar's humbuckers aren't bucking any hum)

that's a really nice box and also i can help you with the latter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I popped the back cover off my fretless which has a carvin preamp and pickups. look at all that poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

new gear day

I didn’t know what this was so I watched a quick review and the dude was showing off it making some noise while doing nothing… maybe it’s not you?

https://youtu.be/0cIkT3FFV-8 at like 5:40

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Has anyone here used NINJAM? I've gotten it set up for a few of my friends and it's been great even though I have so much more I want to accomplish in terms of jamming and improvising.

yes. we do a weekly livestream jam session using ninjam to sync our stuff up. there is a bunch of links and videos here https://tlchrgr.tumblr.com/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I didn’t know what this was so I watched a quick review and the dude was showing off it making some noise while doing nothing… maybe it’s not you?

https://youtu.be/0cIkT3FFV-8 at like 5:40

nah it's definitely the guitar, I think the grounds in this thing are all afuck. plugged it into my old boss katana directly with nothing in the chain but guitar, amp, speaker and it's just blasting distorted 60 Hz

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

im lining up singing lessons

Nice. What kind of stuff are you looking to do?

I sing pretty much all the time with random stuff. Jason Mraz is probably one of my favorites for it. I've been slowly working on getting my pitch just right. I tend to be ~5 cents flat. Also like to sing Ben Folds stuff a lot. First (only) maroon 5 album is also great for it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

cross postin' from the music subforum:

I've been playing with audiogridder, a free VST plugin that lets you run VSTs on another computer over the network with it, and it's pretty awesome. You load the server on your comp that has the instruments, and then load the plugin on the channel you want for the DAW. In the plugin you can select any of the instruments/effects that are on the server's computer and it will use those for that channel's output. It essentially creates a screen-share of that plugin on the server, so it looks exactly like it would natively with the exact same functionality.

My desktop is connected to my router with ethernet and I just tried it on my 2013 macbook air. The latency with a bunch of orchestra instruments loaded in it that this thing couldn't ever hope to play back in real time had a latency of 5 ms, and it will automatically correct for it during playback/rendering etc. My air is running MacOS and the desktop Windows and it worked flawlessly.

Now when I have an idea in my head but don't want to go down to my desktop, I can fire up reaper on my laptop and have every tool I normally would. AND because it's all being rendered on my main desktop, all the licenses are being used on one computer and I don't have to move a usb license stick or stupid software keys around.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Nice. What kind of stuff are you looking to do?

I sing pretty much all the time with random stuff. Jason Mraz is probably one of my favorites for it. I've been slowly working on getting my pitch just right. I tend to be ~5 cents flat. Also like to sing Ben Folds stuff a lot. First (only) maroon 5 album is also great for it.

oh i’m just godawful singer. for someone who loves music as much as I do and tries to play as much as I can I feel like I should be able to at least pass

if i could sound like anyone it’d be mike patton but that’s a high bar

like none of the beatles were that great, neither was roger waters, but they managed to make it work. I want to be able to fit into that category

one day I’d love to be in a dad-thrash band and my personality probably dictates that it’d be my band, i’d drive it, and i’d be front man and I’d love to not sound like poo poo lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m getting very into organ sounds. idk why but just in love, they feel so forgiving to play and love the infinite sustain

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

oh i’m just godawful singer. for someone who loves music as much as I do and tries to play as much as I can I feel like I should be able to at least pass

if i could sound like anyone it’d be mike patton but that’s a high bar

like none of the beatles were that great, neither was roger waters, but they managed to make it work. I want to be able to fit into that category

one day I’d love to be in a dad-thrash band and my personality probably dictates that it’d be my band, i’d drive it, and i’d be front man and I’d love to not sound like poo poo lmao

yeah not sounding like poo poo is always a good thing, so at least you're checking in to making it better

echinopsis posted:

i’m getting very into organ sounds. idk why but just in love, they feel so forgiving to play and love the infinite sustain

i love organs, you can do some really great chords with them and whatnot.

the 'boss battle theme' im working on has a decent number of organ parts in it already:

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/boss-battle-wip

super rough still. haven't done any real passes on dynamics/mixing and it's missing a lot of percussion and small parts/effects, but it's slowly coming together. i think i have a good melody and drum part for the ending (not in that version), but i've probably redone it 5 times at this point so we'll see. that version is a bit over 5 minutes. final is looking to be around 8 or so.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

cross postin' from the music subforum:

I've been playing with audiogridder, a free VST plugin that lets you run VSTs on another computer over the network with it, and it's pretty awesome. You load the server on your comp that has the instruments, and then load the plugin on the channel you want for the DAW. In the plugin you can select any of the instruments/effects that are on the server's computer and it will use those for that channel's output. It essentially creates a screen-share of that plugin on the server, so it looks exactly like it would natively with the exact same functionality.

My desktop is connected to my router with ethernet and I just tried it on my 2013 macbook air. The latency with a bunch of orchestra instruments loaded in it that this thing couldn't ever hope to play back in real time had a latency of 5 ms, and it will automatically correct for it during playback/rendering etc. My air is running MacOS and the desktop Windows and it worked flawlessly.

Now when I have an idea in my head but don't want to go down to my desktop, I can fire up reaper on my laptop and have every tool I normally would. AND because it's all being rendered on my main desktop, all the licenses are being used on one computer and I don't have to move a usb license stick or stupid software keys around.

i kind of laughed at myself here b/c i was all 'if this poster isnt woolwich i'm gonna eat my hat' and sure enough. Yeah, distributed cluster VSTs are the future. let's promote this.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i kind of laughed at myself here b/c i was all 'if this poster isnt woolwich i'm gonna eat my hat' and sure enough. Yeah, distributed cluster VSTs are the future. let's promote this.

ha, guilty as charged

what impressed me the most was the latency. one comp hardwired the other on wifi (and 2013 tech at that). ease of use for an open source project is good. there are of course paid options that pro would use i'm sure. one from waves and vienna software (mentioned a while back in this thread, $200 for a copy + $100 per license required for each computer).

once i finally find a new job that i'm happy with, i'll build out a couple of servers so that they can have sample heavy instruments loaded in to ram at all times. it's frustrating when you have an idea but need to wait 10+ minutes for 100 gb or whatever of instruments to load. not to mention that it starts to bog down DAWs in my experience. reaper is not happy when you have an instance of kontakt with 16 heavy instruments loaded in it. it's much happier if they're all separate.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lowkey wishing that this thread was more about making music, not janitoring your music making stack

both keeping your instruments in good condition and doing something with them every once and a while is important of course :)

anyways i forget if i posted this before, but my 2022 weeklybeats plan is to make 52 tracks all 64 bars at 120bpm, perfectly (i wish) transitioning from one to another as a means to cull my tendency of making 20 minute jams and keeping everything in a single monster project (but not letting it get out of hand)

here are the first two in a neat little playlist https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/sets/2021-weekly-experiments-1

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Penisface posted:

lowkey wishing that this thread was more about making music, not janitoring your music making stack

Here's a short live synth jam I did, with my parrots as the audience. https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/synthesizer-jam-with-added-bird-

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

gently caress it, I wasn’t gonna post this because the video is very… you’ll see

BUT I wrote the music and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. if you’ve got a minute, I beg of you to give it to
me. the second half of this is really good. it’s me really finding what I love about music and recreating it myself

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSeXXSTnb/

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

gently caress it, I wasn’t gonna post this because the video is very… you’ll see

BUT I wrote the music and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. if you’ve got a minute, I beg of you to give it to
me. the second half of this is really good. it’s me really finding what I love about music and recreating it myself

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSeXXSTnb/

dude that url has SeXX in it, seems suspicious

edit: the track is good though, some nice old school synths stuff. hope you did not destroy the gear when you took it into the shower

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2022

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

just posted the recording of today's livestream jam session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlpoaNAXkHg

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

dude that url has SeXX in it, seems suspicious

edit: the track is good though, some nice old school synths stuff. hope you did not destroy the gear when you took it into the shower

i did but it was worth it

thanks man. there’s this ubiquitous desire within so much electronic music to start with a beat or even have one but .. idk .. I much prefer just playing without. prob coz means i can’t gently caress it up as much

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i did but it was worth it

thanks man. there’s this ubiquitous desire within so much electronic music to start with a beat or even have one but .. idk .. I much prefer just playing without. prob coz means i can’t gently caress it up as much

its good to not have a beat but i guarantee you that learning to play to a metronome is a good thing that will help you whether your end result is beatless or not

ive been through a phase like “(bong hit) big metro just makes all music synthetic maan” and i feel i was a massive dumbass

ymmv this is just my take on this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah depends on the style of music. i’m going for a bit of a stoned vibe with most of my stuff, not many beats would make it better

but other times yeah a beat is the key

but for now I just love playing organs and hosed up chords that hopefully sound as hosed up as I am when I’m playing it.. that’s the sauce

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yesterday i had the electricians over, and was talkin guitars with one of em after he complimented my jazzmaster. that inspired me to finally tune it up after the move and noodle around until my hands started hurting and goddamn it was so much fun

i also love guitar rig. it's so fun to play "NOW IM A BLUES MAN NOW IM A FUNK MAN NOW IM A METALMAN" and the jazzmaster just sounds great no matter what

i guess it's time to start actually practicing again. i mean, practicing with the goal of getting better, as opposed to messing around for funsies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
too lazy to rehost so here's a selftweet

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1485325055366033411

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
violently ill

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i made a weekly shorty tune, 3rd instalment of this years plan to make a massive collection of short and sweet tracks that work well together https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/2022-352a?in=trent-hawkins/sets/2021-weekly-experiments-1

i also made a longer krautrock type tune out of the weekly jam session live stream that we do https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/telecharger-2785 (full unabridged livestream recording here https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/telecharger-livestream-39?in=trent-hawkins/sets/tcorporation-x-thawkins-live). i think i hosed up the mix on the track i made, need to focus on cleaning up muddy reverbs and not letting drums choke on their own compression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
is “band-in-a-box” type software still a thing? I’d love to just jot down a chord progression, pick a style and have a half decent backing track to noodle over without thinking about arrangement.