Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It has more mutations that make it more contagious, but it's less deadly.

Since the coronavirus is a cold virus, then the more contagious it gets, the less deadly it gets... it's more contagious because it's binding with cells really well in your nose and mouth, which make it bind more poorly to cells deep in the lungs. And the human body's immune system is really good at fighting viruses that bind to nose/mouth cells.

So it would seem, we should expect to see the virus mutate into more contagious but less deadly forms, until it pretty much is the equivalent to seasonal cold/flu.

Then it will be over.

Right?

:gerty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
you should post this in cspam op they will love it

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The next one might make you poo poo blood from your dick

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The next one will increase the lethality by a flat +3.5% because someone fed a deer and deer have covid and the virus will never go away purely because it has infinite mutation chances in deer kinda like how leprosy is a thing in armadillos in texas HTH your next inevitable woods walk OP

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
COVID pretty much just gave me a cold. That’s it, pack it up. Everyone in the COVID threads are a bunch of babies who need to man up already

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
How the Hell would I know, OP? I ain't a doctor, and if I were I probably wouldn't be the kind of doctor who knows about this. And neither is anyone else likely to be found in this thread.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no, op

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I hope COVID gives you explosive gas OP

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
why the gently caress would anything good ever happen?

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Even if it does think about that film independence day. They gave the alien mothership a cold virus and it sent all those alien scum packing. I thought I had more of a point here when I started typing tbh.

I've not seen independence day 2

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
if you are asking if it will become endemic, yes and we already passed that point with delta

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you basing this on science and evidence or are you basing it on the fact that you don’t like wearing a mask, op

Because it would be nice if what you laid out happens but being as great swathes of the world are entirely unvaccinated, it will likely continue to fester and new strains will come around that could be much worse or maybe much better, who the gently caress knows

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Mysterious Jim posted:

why the gently caress would anything good ever happen?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
trust the science

zaepg fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 16, 2022

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oh its you joe rogan

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

everyone I know is getting omicron and they sneeze for 2 days and then they’re fine

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
*sees guy in elastomeric respirator* hey darth vader, use the force to keep the virus particles away

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sitting here absolutely petrified because my son is going back to in class learning tomorrow: oh im better now its just like the flu

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Blomicron deez nuts bitch

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Yo baby lemme bind with your mouth cells.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
tl;dr: we're all hosed and just lol if you're not maxxing out your credit cards to go on raging benders

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Waiting on test result now, p sure I got the 'cron. Low grade feev, cough, not really much congesh, mostly just tired, covid is over baybee :woop:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its egregious that we accept a virus as 'common', op

do you have 'common' lice?
do you have 'common' cancer?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Omicron turned into Deltacron, so nope.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sid Vicious posted:

sitting here absolutely petrified because my son is going back to in class learning tomorrow: oh im better now its just like the flu
The flu kills somewhere between 20k and 50k people in the US annually, depending in strain severity. We just treat it as background noise because we're pretty safe statistically.

Also yeah, covid19 probably does end up trending towards a relatively very mild, endemic disease that surges every so often. It could take a long rear end time and kill a fuckton of people on the way though!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
as long as i get to keep working at home all is well

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

My girlfriend and I both got the Cron. She brought it home from BJJ. We both just felt like sh*t for 5 days. Neither of us ever had even a slight fever and our blood oxygen never went below 97-98. She has a nebulizer that we took mad rips from on our worst days (2 of our 5 days were the worst). Extremely congested in nose and ears but neither of us coughing a lot. Maybe 1 or 2 coughs per 8 sneezes? I'm not boosted and entirely lost my sense of smell and taste for the duration of my symptoms but my girlfriend did not (she's boosted, probably something to do with that). The wooziness / mild vertigo / mild dizziness was the scariest, most disconcerting part of the affair for us- probably due to how badly our ears nose and throat were congested. Both of our GP's told us we didn't even need a negative test to return to Society / Work, we just need to be asymptomatic for at least 5 days.

We are both completely fine now. I'm back to running 10 miles a week and she's back to her lifting and rock climbing regimen. Eat your vegetables!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

No OP, the next variant actually spreads by thought and instantly liquifies a person’s insides.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The next one binds to cells in your anus and spreads via farts. Chipotle becomes the #1 superspreader location across the globe with beans being taken off the menu at the direction of President Biden. Republicans lash out with protests, signs read “can’t take my beans” and “thinkin bout thos beans”

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What happened to the Delta variant and OG coronavirus? Serious question, are they still out there?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
no

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What happened to the Delta variant and OG coronavirus? Serious question, are they still out there?

yes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What happens when we get to the end of the Greek alphabet do we move onto Sumarian or some obscure language with two remaining native speakers?

They should sell rights to corporations who can name strains after competitor's.

Sorry Timmy, Verizon killed grandma. Also don't forget to pay the Verizon or they'll come after you too.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 16, 2022

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So serious post time, all three of my kids wore n95 masks and were absolutely awesome with washing their hands constantly, social distancing, etc. Any time they got invited to a birthday party that was indoors and something we felt was unsafe (like an indoor bouncy house thing), we kept them home.

For over two years we avoided coronavirus until last week when all three of them got it. My oldest one (who is 5) had one vaccine shot, my other two had none because they are too young.

I have no clue how they got it, but my guess is school even with the n95 masks.

For them to have gotten it makes me think almost everyone is going to get it. At first I was really, really mad (I contacted my school district's superintendent and called I him a spineless coward because he took away the plexiglass barriers in class and put all the kids back together in the cafeteria, and I'm the least confrontational person in the world) and I felt like the previous two years of us being safe were a total waste of time now that they got it anyway. But I started thinking with a cooler head that it's better than them having got the original or delta which was way worse.

The thing that scared me about them getting it wasn't covid but long covid. I've been hearing so many stories about people getting covid and having permanent tinnitus, diabetes, fatigue, lung scarring, and brain fog, and I was terrified of my kids having something stay with them for the rest of their lives because they got covid. Like imagine if their actual IQ went down because of this and they had difficulty concentrating the rest of their lives because of this? That's what I was terrified of.

But now that they all got it, I'm oddly at peace with it. I read a ton of stuff and apparently every virus ever has long term effects. Like mumps, measles etc can also give you tinnitus. I thought covid was special in that way and that's what scared the crap out of me.

Hell there's even data showing that people who get EpsteinBarr aka mono aka the kissing disease can have long term neurological effects, and my wife asked me am I going to be worried the rest of my life if my kid gets mono as a teenager and I said no or course not, which made me feel better.

Over a million people in America alone got covid yesterday, which is 1 in 300 Americans. In a single day.

I've come to the realization that everyone is going to get it, or definitely more than half of the population will. I'm just praying it doesn't wind up that 30 years from now all these people have horrible medical complications from it. But the statistics and data show that it probably won't happen, just like how many people do you know that had mono wound up getting MS from it?

I do think vaccines are a big reason the virus is weak now and I hope more people who watch Fox News and stuff get the vaccine so we can be further out of this mess. At least I'm guessing that's why omicron was so weak. My kids had nothing more than a fever for 24 hours and it was like it never happened. I hope this bodes well for them not getting long covid.

A lot of this poo poo is just to make me feel better because I was legit manic when I found out my kids got it but I do think a lot of this is true. At least I hope it is.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 16, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mudskipp posted:

Even if it does think about that film independence day. They gave the alien mothership a cold virus and it sent all those alien scum packing. I thought I had more of a point here when I started typing tbh.

I've not seen independence day 2

I have and I don't really remember it. This is surely due to cognitive decline caused by long Covid and nothing to do with the quality of Independence Day 2

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I felt like the previous two years of us being safe were a total waste of time now that they got it anyway.

You slowed the spread and helped the hospitals from being even more overrun than they were/are. That may have saved a bed for lifesaving treatment of a cancer patient or car crash victim or something. Just because you don't know the specific benefit of your actions, in aggregate it still matters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the more contagious = less deadly thing is mostly a myth, op.

it's true that if a disease kills you before you can even visit the applebee's salad bar once, that is an evolutionary disadvantage, but it does not apply to covid19 since it's (so far) not that deadly and you can spread it for a few days before you start to feel bad.

delta out-competed earlier dominant strains with significantly higher transmission but wasn't less deadly (if anything, IFR was higher). omicron being less deadly is lucky, although it's still gonna kill a lot of people. whether the raw numbers will be higher or lower than the prior delta wave remains to be seen, but in the US we just broke the prior hospitalization with covid record:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#hospitalizations

anyway, calling it a cold is just wrong. even if it's 5x less deadly than delta, that still makes it more dangerous than the average seasonal flu and much more transmissible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
thats sort of and not really how it all works -yes it mutates but it also mutates from the infected and right now the infected are mostly republicans without any vaccines so were trending towards a more deadly strain that shoots up schools with assault rifles and hates black and hispanic people

if youre a white male you got nothing to worry about after next year