Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Furries still seem to be around, though less common now that more people are online and using social media. Bronies were everywhere for a moment, but I haven't seen one in years. Did they age out of their obsession (unlikely since grown adults still watch anime) or get absorbed by some other internet culture? I think I remember one mass shooter identifying as a Brony and it wouldn't surprise me if there was overlap between a subculture made up almost entirely of white males in the 15-25 age range and MRAs. If so, I would be very happy to learn that there was a My Little Pony to alt-right pipeline considering the importance of masculinity and intolerance of non-traditional lifestyles in the latter group, but does anyone actually know where they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The cartoon ended.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Turned into chuds or killed themselves I imagine.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Prison for being pedos OP.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Furries still seem to be around, though less common now that more people are online and using social media. Bronies were everywhere for a moment, but I haven't seen one in years. Did they age out of their obsession (unlikely since grown adults still watch anime) or get absorbed by some other internet culture? I think I remember one mass shooter identifying as a Brony and it wouldn't surprise me if there was overlap between a subculture made up almost entirely of white males in the 15-25 age range and MRAs. If so, I would be very happy to learn that there was a My Little Pony to alt-right pipeline considering the importance of masculinity and intolerance of non-traditional lifestyles in the latter group, but does anyone actually know where they are?

it was a counter-culture (though a very embarrassing one), and as is typical of counter-cultures, most of the people who actually drove the culture found what they were looking or grew out of it, and the rest of the culture just disintegrated.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Things got heated at PonyCon2021 and some 8 year olds beat the poo poo out of them

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
They go to trump rallies now.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

long time passing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they delved too greedily and too deep into friendship magic, and were annihilated by forces beyond comprehension

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jenny Nicholson, a "brony" herself, did a phenomenal overview of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVOF2PiHnc

An oversimplification is that the MLP fandom exploded to new heights never seen before due to the "new" cartoon and overtime fandom gradually dwindled as the gimmick of "it's a cartoon for girls but it's good" faded and that the fans were (surprise!) some of the most toxic out there. There was then a resurgence near the show's final season and the community had one big last hurrah! Then the show ended and nerds put their time into other things.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Prison for being pedos OP.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i killed them and ate their bodies

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Many died of priapisms from their rock-hard poners.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
did you check under the couch?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The last season was in 2019. Furryism is a lifestyle, Bronyism is a fandom.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

The last season was in 2019. Furryism is a lifestyle, Bronyism is a fandom.

I have no idea what that stupid poo poo means

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

did you check under the couch?

just crumbs and stuffies

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

just crumbs and stuffies

ha ha. I found Nemo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They grew up and became husbandies and fatheries and otherwise useful members of societies.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

it’s interesting to me how most of them trended really right-wing after that. It’s like the cartoon was the last hurrah for all the stuff they were repressing. glad that’s over though it was pretty weird!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They grew up and became husbandies and fatheries and otherwise useful members of societies.

unlikely

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

An oversimplification is that the MLP fandom exploded to new heights never seen before due to the "new" cartoon...

It should be noted that this was mostly due to the new cartoon having an art style that was very anime like, which drew in a lot of people who were also anime fans, which is why the fandom became so toxic.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

ha ha. I found Nemo

lol i wish it was something normal like nemo its some youtubers mascot

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i ate them all

edit: misread thread title

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They thought of ants.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

it’s interesting to me how most of them trended really right-wing after that. It’s like the cartoon was the last hurrah for all the stuff they were repressing. glad that’s over though it was pretty weird!

a lot of them trended right-wing when the show was still on. fascism is magic

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

bronies tended to be unloved miserable pieces of poo poo, and those kind of people tend to be right-wing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrianRx posted:

Furries still seem to be around, though less common now

Absolutely false

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jenny Nicholson, a "brony" herself, did a phenomenal overview of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVOF2PiHnc

A guy in one of my IRL friend groups is a brony, and we watched this with him last year. It was pretty entertaining.

Also, no I'm not going to :sever:, he's a good friend despite some questionable tastes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

lol i wish it was something normal like nemo its some youtubers mascot

you didn't have to admit that.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

hosed till they died.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you didn't have to admit that.

its my kids toy judge him all you wantb

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
They’re probably still lurking around their own corners of the Internet, same with any other cult following. But they’re definitely not out recruiting anymore. You’d probably be able to still find those who still tie their life and identity to it if you looked hard enough… But why would you?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

:lol:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BrianRx posted:

they either became furries or nazis, hth

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

They all died trying to gently caress a real horse, which is the only way to get into brony valhalla.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

it's hard out there for a conservative brony

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I would like to hear "Where have all the bronies gone?", a parody of "Where have all the cowboys gone?"

Somebody please make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ready to fight in the war of northern friendship