Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Randy Pitchford: Now make the little girl character super horny!

Developer: Because of trauma, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Randy Pitchford: Now make the little girl character super horny!

okay fair

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm definitely not against horny, and definitely not against having positive representation of different sexual identities in the game. Moxxi and Axton are both bisexual, Hammerlock is unabashedly gay, and those are just the obvious ones that come to mind. But taking a character rooted in childhood trauma and presenting them as a lighthearted encapsulation of a lot of stuff which occurs in people with untreated trauma is discomfiting to me.

Semi-relatedly, I think the development of Moxxi from BL1 to BL3 is one of the peak examples of how the writing has got worse and lazier, and they ruined a character that was compelling in BL1 and reduced them to comic-relief matron by BL3.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The Borderlands 3 Redux Mod looks pretty cool. Has a poo poo ton of changes to make it more like the older games.

https://www.nexusmods.com/borderlands3/mods/250?tab=description

Features:

- Annointments are removed from the game
- New rarity - pearlescent.
- Loot enemies are more frequent and have their own pearlescent drops
- Various weapons red text have changed
- Bunch of weapon rebalances
- Drop sources have been changed to shake up the loot pool
- Takedown has the best weapon drops to encourage playing it
- Skill rebalances
- No more white rarity
- World drop legendary drop rate "greatly reduced" (won't be for everyone)
- DLC drops no longer restricted to DLC and can drop anywhere
- No item locks in early game - any kind of gear can drop from lvl 1 and you can equip them, such relics and class mods.
- TVHM has actually been make more challenging
- Items have been rebalanced more toward passive health regeneration vs "shoot to stay alive"

There's a shitload of other stuff. I saw something about a feature that lets you skip around the story so you're not forced to play anything you don't want to.

I haven't played this yet, but most of the features sound pretty good. Hopefully I'll get around to giving it a go soon.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

looking through the change log and

“World drop frequency is like BL2”

well that’s a bummer

watho
Aug 2, 2013

also seems like they’ve leaned harder into the rock-paper-scissors aspect of elemental damage as well which is lame. idk the only things i care about is the changes to health regen and dlc items dropping in the base game

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha of all the old "features" to copy :allears:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The hotfix mod files seem like they are editable enough to tune to your liking.

I'm not generally worried the droprate if it only applied to world drops. I plan on playing the mod completely blind without ever looking up builds, anyway, so what I don't have won't hurt me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

The hotfix mod files seem like they are editable enough to tune to your liking.

I'm not generally worried the droprate if it only applied to world drops. I plan on playing the mod completely blind without ever looking up builds, anyway, so what I don't have won't hurt me.

that’s when world drops hurt the most. world drops are the random drops not from dedicated sources. what it means is that you basically need to farm the dedicated sources to get legendaries

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

watho posted:

looking through the change log and

“World drop frequency is like BL2”

well that’s a bummer

This right here is why I don't give a poo poo what the community has to say about Borderlands, the big streamers and a lot of the Reddit base loves low drop rates because they "feel earned" when you get one.

gently caress off with that.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I don't have an issue with a world drop nerf unless Redux addresses the class mod and artifact drop problem, which it doesn't look like it does.

Just flat nerfing of world drops because the vocal 1% of grognards wants it is dumb.

E: I'll say again that the complaint of "drop rates too high" is loving dumb as poo poo given how much variation in item generation that BL3 has compared to the previous games for most of its items. Looking for the exact roll you need for certain things is the equivalent of a BL2 drop rate or worse.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 15, 2022

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'll say again that the complaint of "drop rates too high" is loving dumb as poo poo given how much variation in item generation that BL3 has compared to the previous games for most of its items.

This argument is only ever true if you insist on having the best in slot gear, which online communities and easy access to insanely theorycrafted builds has encouraged people to feel like they need even though BL3 is far easier than BL2 even with very unoptimized builds and gear. You simply don't need the best of the best.

The other alternative is to play without knowing what optimal builds are so that you don't ever feel the need to have the best possible gear or optimized loadout, which I've come to realize is a far better way to play these games.

At that point, lower legendary drops still feel good (not as low as BL2, that was just horseshit no matter how you cut it), because you're experimenting yourself, and legendaries are going to give you a significant boost but still aren't required cause BL3 is extremely customizeable via difficulty and is still far easier than BL2 regardless.

Looking up builds and best gear for those builds kinda ruins games like this, because it just means you're shooting for an incredibly specific loadout and that obviously means that anything less than extremely generous loot drops are gonna feel like poo poo, but that's a problem that it really avoidable by not getting into the meta.

I stopped looking up builds and whatnot for that reason. I realized that it lowered my enjoyment of this game and others, which is why I went looking for an overhaul mod that shakes it all up so I could start fresh and just experiment myself like the old days.

TLDR; Getting into the whole metagame and theorycrafting part of Borderlands made me like it less, and not worrying about it makes the game far more fun to experiment with and really frequent legendary drops less necessary, which makes them feel more eventful when they happen.

I realize that not everyone will agree with this.

Edit: Typos

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 15, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The other problem with low drop rates is having to deal with the fact that a lot of legendary weapons are fairly weak or entirely gimmick driven, meta-chasing aside, it doesn't feel good to have a legendary drop after hours of nothing only for it to be an elementless Infinity or Superball, that's a real good way to turn players off.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

The other problem with low drop rates is having to deal with the fact that a lot of legendary weapons are fairly weak or entirely gimmick driven, meta-chasing aside, it doesn't feel good to have a legendary drop after hours of nothing only for it to be an elementless Infinity or Superball, that's a real good way to turn players off.

That's true. I don't know how low the rates functionally are in the mod yet, but if they are really low then there's no saving it besides modification.

Then again, it also rebalances legendary weapons, (and I don't even know what pearlescents entail) so who knows. I'm looking forward to trying it out with a new character.

I'll report back at some stage. While I'm happy with lower legendary drop-rates, having them be rare as gently caress won't make me much happier than most.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I personally like hunting for theorycrafting items. I used to run Mephisto constantly in D2. I'm currently killing Killavolt on M6 for a Monarch, I've never even seen the gun in action

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm definitely not against horny, and definitely not against having positive representation of different sexual identities in the game. Moxxi and Axton are both bisexual, Hammerlock is unabashedly gay, and those are just the obvious ones that come to mind. But taking a character rooted in childhood trauma and presenting them as a lighthearted encapsulation of a lot of stuff which occurs in people with untreated trauma is discomfiting to me.

Semi-relatedly, I think the development of Moxxi from BL1 to BL3 is one of the peak examples of how the writing has got worse and lazier, and they ruined a character that was compelling in BL1 and reduced them to comic-relief matron by BL3.

I will say this reminds me of how before jumping into 3 I decided to burn through Fight for Sanctuary (not at all worth it, in hindsight) and Tannis has a bit in there about how nice her clean suit feels against her bare skin. And on the one hand, that parses as a genuine autistic thing, but at the same time it also still plays like a salacious kinky sex thing thrown in for the sake of it so I was left feeling very weird about it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Judge Tesla posted:

This right here is why I don't give a poo poo what the community has to say about Borderlands, the big streamers and a lot of the Reddit base loves low drop rates because they "feel earned" when you get one.

gently caress off with that.

Yeah, it's the dumbest way to add 'longevity' to a game. Didn't they even nerf drop rates a bunch of times in the official game? I feel like getting 1 or 2 legendaries per session outside of the bosses -where things are now, feels about ok.
Note they also removed affixes, so the one bit of being able to reroll and control for RNG short of "I'm gonna just run the same mission/boss over and over!" is taken out of a player's hands.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On the reverse side I found the best way to get good gear is as soon as you finish the campaign load up TVH at mayhem 11 and just spam the fabricator in legendary mode until you're out of your initial seed Eridium. Hopefully you get a good gun or two to carry you through the early TVH. Once you're at 72 you can start spamming it more until you have enough to be combat effective to farm for more.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Man, Arms Race is such a letdown. For one, the murder zone always heads to the same place, so some of the dedicated chests for certain items (Of course the one I want, Hot Spring) require sprinting to the chest with barely any weapons at all.

I can see the foundation of a fun mode if things were a little more randomized

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Yeah "Battle Royale but it's PVE" sounds like a fun thing to play but if it's the same destination every time that's kind of disappointing.

Is there a way to restore the FMV versions of Angel and Lilith on the PC versions of 1 and 2? I like how weird those look and their removal in the updated versions of the games is a bit disappointing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mikedawson posted:

Yeah "Battle Royale but it's PVE" sounds like a fun thing to play but if it's the same destination every time that's kind of disappointing.

Is there a way to restore the FMV versions of Angel and Lilith on the PC versions of 1 and 2? I like how weird those look and their removal in the updated versions of the games is a bit disappointing.

That's weird they took those out. Since doesn't BL3 still use the FMV faces for her and Tannis when they use psychic powers to talk to you?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
This game has been weirdly chugging/dropping frames/heating up my system when I try to play it lately, and it didn't have these issues when I first got it. I've got it installed on an SSD now, so I don't know what the problem is. I just want to do my drat sidequests on the Sanctuary ship!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

This game has been weirdly chugging/dropping frames/heating up my system when I try to play it lately, and it didn't have these issues when I first got it. I've got it installed on an SSD now, so I don't know what the problem is. I just want to do my drat sidequests on the Sanctuary ship!

Have you cleaned out the dust on your machine lately? You might also verify the game files if you're running it on Steam.

BL3 is power-hungry at the best of times, more than a lot of other games that seem like they should be more demanding.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

LegoMan posted:

Man, Arms Race is such a letdown. For one, the murder zone always heads to the same place, so some of the dedicated chests for certain items (Of course the one I want, Hot Spring) require sprinting to the chest with barely any weapons at all.

I can see the foundation of a fun mode if things were a little more randomized

The Hot Spring shows up pretty often for me in the Diamond Loot Room, so it's an alternative option if you have no luck in Arms Race.

TBH Arms Race isn't that tough once you get used to it. The trick is to not get bogged down fighting random crap along the way, and depending on your luck you can clear one of the dedicated loot rooms with just your starting white gear.

E: while the murderzone always eventually converges to the centre there are plenty of good items spread out from the various rooms that you can just farm something else if the Hot Spring room is outside the starting circle. Also keep in mind that vending machines, air drop red chests and the final boss draw from the whole Arms Race pool so it's not just limited to the specific chest room.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 17, 2022

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I've started a new character to play through the Redux mod and was immediately reminded how loving tedious the game is to play, with all of its unskippable dialogue that you have to wait through. (Around 3.5 hours of it for a single story playthrough according to speedrunners)

I found a solution:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2457938038

1. Go to Borderlands3\OakGame\Content\Paks

2. Move all files starting with "pakchunk3" to a new folder.

That's all.

The pakchunk3 files contain all of the audio for the dialogue in the game. The game is able to gracefully work around these missing files - by immediately skipping any dialogue when it can't find the files, effectively fast-forwarding through dialogue that you normally have to wait through before getting your next objective.

NPC animations still have to complete when they are necessary, though, and it pretty much gets rid of all speech in the game, so no enemy or player sounds in combat. Some might not like that, but I think it's a small price to pay for being able to actually play the game through the campaign, rather than waiting.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Man that's great because I was going to level up Moze next

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you cleaned out the dust on your machine lately? You might also verify the game files if you're running it on Steam.

BL3 is power-hungry at the best of times, more than a lot of other games that seem like they should be more demanding.

All files validated :shrug: I'll see about doing a dust on my next day off. Hopefully it's not terrible, my current cooler is so drat big that it's hard to clean around and under it. Works really well though, my CPU temperature stays below 30° C most of the time.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Starting again, I really find leveling in BL3 more enjoyable than max level meta chasing or even just blind maximizing of DPS or mayhem.

You regularly find weapons that are much better that the poo poo you've outleveled, and it's a whole lot of playing around with skill trees and a few different guns you've found without gimmicks. I once again remember how much fun Dahl snipers are in single shot mode. Just popping headshots every second with the high firerate and decent damage. Many of them sound great and it's just a good time mag dumping while flying around.

So much of that cool poo poo goes away at endgame when you become more reliant on high damage and gimmicks on guns at the expense of something that just feels good and makes for well paces fights vs feeling obligated to do everything at max mayhem ffor the best drops which are guns that probably don't feel that good anyway.

Not sure what I'll do when I hit endgame with this new character, but I'm thinking I'll just tune my mayhem level to whatever feels the best for my current favorite gun (probably 1-2 crit kills on normal enemies), rather than trying to maximize my drops and DPS. I don't think I'm far enough in yet to be able to accurately report on the changes made by the Redux mod. I can at least say that it's great having no white quality items drop. Minimum quality being green at least makes more guns useful in the early game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I just hit lvl 30 in the Redux mod and I've been having a good time with it.

Legendary drop rate doesn't seem that much different from my first playthrough, I usually get one for major bosses. Probably about 6-7 in total per 1.5 hours of questing through the story. With annoints being removed in the mod, it feels pretty fair so far.

I haven't read the patch notes for the mod in depth, but it feels like snipers have possibly been buffed since I'm annhilating everything more easily than I remember.

Once I hit the cap I imagine the differences will become more obvious.

One huge thing that has made it 100 times more enjoyable is the method of removing the pakchunk3 files so the dialogue skips and you don't have to wait for objectives and doors to open for nearly as long. It's really night and day.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Scumbag posted:

One huge thing that has made it 100 times more enjoyable is the method of removing the pakchunk3 files so the dialogue skips and you don't have to wait for objectives and doors to open for nearly as long. It's really night and day.
This was my dream scenario that I initially thought up back when people were wondering if BL3 would get something like Diablo 3's rift system. (I have not played a Diablo game)

It's nice to hear that it's as good as I had hoped.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
tried using a save editor to just set a flag to "completed playthrough" but apparently it doesn't work and I still have to trudge through it, but at least I'm 72 and everything dies in 1 hit

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I'm almost level 50 now and I can honestly say that Redux + Deleting the voice files make this the best time I've ever had playing BL3. Running through the DLC's now without all of the waiting around and it's a blast.

No annoints makes finding legendaries much more enjoyable (I'm also certain at this point that any nerf to the droprates in the patch notes of Redux is old and they have since been bufffed to the point where I can't tell a difference from vanilla, they're dropping all the time even on non-mayhem), they buffed all the damage numbers in the game as well as health. It's just cosmetic, but it's more psychologically fulfilling to see the damage numbers on guns go up much more as you're progressing. Currently using snipers with 8k+ damage. Looking forward to trying a Wedding Invitation when it drops.

There's definitely a lot of reworked legendaries, so I find myself trying all of them again when they drop, to see how useful they are or how they've changed from vanilla. Some of them are pretty crazy powerful.

Looking forward to seeing what the pearlescent tier are like when they start to drop.

One other note: modifiers have been removed from all mayhem levels, so I'm looking forward to that once I hit the lvl cap.

Edit: This thing is absolutely nuts:

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 25, 2022

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

To be honest, I never once cared about anoints or found them interesting. They may as well have not existed for me.

Might give Redux a go.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 25, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Anoints are often better than the lesser legendaries they're attached too. Like I have an annoint that gives Moze 150% minigun damage. I originally got it on a useless legendary until I was able to roll it on an Echo. But even on the bad gun I still equiped it when I hit the action skill because it would bump me to some absurd DPS numbers.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Redux buffs the Infinity. A lot.

It's extremely satisfying completing the Maliwan Takedown from start to finish without ever letting go of the trigger.

I'm thinking of writing an Autohotkey script to toggle my left mouse button.

I'm going to start working on a godly firerate build/loadout, I think

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Decided to try out Borderlands 3 Redux, and heard it has a story skip feature. How do I activate this Story Skip? It must be a menu option but I must be missing it or something.

I've got a Level 12 character who I'd only been using to join in on my friend's games (he's since finished the game) - this character now is still in the tutorial zone if I played and I'd rather just skip ahead till after Sanctuary instead of going through the opening missions.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Artelier posted:

Decided to try out Borderlands 3 Redux, and heard it has a story skip feature. How do I activate this Story Skip? It must be a menu option but I must be missing it or something.

I've got a Level 12 character who I'd only been using to join in on my friend's games (he's since finished the game) - this character now is still in the tutorial zone if I played and I'd rather just skip ahead till after Sanctuary instead of going through the opening missions.

The "Story Skip", as far as I can tell, isn't a redux thing...it's just deleting all the pakchunk files so the game auto-skips dialogue when it can't find the file.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Artelier posted:

Story skip is something you can do when creating a new character. You are able to start at different points in the story at an appropriate level. The highest level/point you can skip to is lvl35 - right before the final story bossfight. You also get a full loadout that is capable of beating the boss.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mr Scumbag posted:

Story skip is something you can do when creating a new character. You are able to start at different points in the story at an appropriate level. The highest level/point you can skip to is lvl35 - right before the final story bossfight. You also get a full loadout that is capable of beating the boss.

Oh neat is this in the base game now or part of that mod? I might just delete the various characters I had hovering below 20 if it's doable on console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh neat is this in the base game now or part of that mod? I might just delete the various characters I had hovering below 20 if it's doable on console

It's the Redux mod, although it was so well-implemented I kind of thought it was a new addition to the base game at first.