Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah pretty much everyone I know who used to use something like sublime text or atom or notepad++ has moved to vscode at this point. the holdouts are usually the same ones who scream BUT MICROSOFT EVIL as their reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

yeah pretty much everyone I know who used to use something like sublime text or atom or notepad++ has moved to vscode at this point. the holdouts are usually the same ones who scream BUT MICROSOFT EVIL as their reason

sublime text has good programfeel that vscode doesn’t have

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
it's a little endearing when someone is using vscode or sublime or notepad++. like watching an ant struggle to pull something 10x its size

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

"awww, they're doing full text search on 'def pooFunction(' to find where the function is defined"

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Having opened a js/ts thing in vscode recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually has "go to definition/ Implementation/references thing" and that sometimes it even works.

With regards to operating systems one should remember that Windows costs well over a hundred bucks to purchase in the cheapest version before comparing it to Linux which costs zero bucks in most versions (that come without support).
Windows being at the prizepoint of a reasonably serious piece of software, the comparison to linux shouldn't be as balanced as it is, windows should absolutely obliterate any free OS. But it doesn't, it's a weird user-hostile POS like we've accepted all OSs to be. It's just as quirky and finicky as the lunixes, only in a slightly different way. My god, imagine if any other 140$ piece of software showed you ads, people would go mental.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
windows is free

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

windows is free

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/how-microsoft-helped-imprison-a-man-for-counterfeiting-software-it-gives-away-for-free/

microsoft is still jailing people for windows so obviously it's not free because otherwise they wouldn't bother

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that url itself doesnt know what to think lol

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sb hermit posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/how-microsoft-helped-imprison-a-man-for-counterfeiting-software-it-gives-away-for-free/

microsoft is still jailing people for windows so obviously it's not free because otherwise they wouldn't bother

are they as lightweight and sophisticated as freebsd jails

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ocean of Milk posted:

Having opened a js/ts thing in vscode recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually has "go to definition/ Implementation/references thing" and that sometimes it even works.

ime it works very well for TS codebases which don't do any weird stuff. in theory I think it can work for js ones as well that don't do weird stuff but I've never seen one of them

mystes
May 31, 2006

my homie dhall posted:

"awww, they're doing full text search on 'def pooFunction(' to find where the function is defined"
Are you just complaining about your idea of what you imagine vscode is like without having actually used it?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sorry for phoronix-posting, but i think this was a little interesting at least

Cemu Emulator Plans For 2022 With Going Open-Source, Aiming For Linux Support

isn't cemu like the only emulator out there that doesn't work on linux

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That reads like they are doing a major clean up and Linux support is a side effect of getting rid of proprietary third party libraries.

Sounds good to me.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

sorry for phoronix-posting, but i think this was a little interesting at least

Cemu Emulator Plans For 2022 With Going Open-Source, Aiming For Linux Support

isn't cemu like the only emulator out there that doesn't work on linux

i never understood the point of making free emulators closed-source. all it does is limit development by forbidding contributors and means that when the author no longer has the time and/or drive to continue working on it, it ends up bit rotting and anyone who wants to further the work on emulating platform x is starting completely from scratch

either way, it's good that this is happening for the sake of the 5 or 6 good wii-u games that aren't (yet) available on the switch. i was going to lol that the article talks about them porting the build system to make of all things in 2022, but phoronix got it wrong from the source and they are using cmake.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 16, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I can understand not open sourcing when you are ashamed of the horrific atrocities you've coded that only through happenstance work and so you put "open source this" on your rodemap right after "completely rebuild everything properly" :v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I wonder what the average page count is between vscode derails

Also doesn't dolphin already do Wii emulation and is open source / usable on Linux?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Also doesn't dolphin already do Wii emulation and is open source / usable on Linux?
Does it do Wii U emulation though?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

I wonder what the average page count is between vscode derails

dolphin did wii emulation when the wii was still being sold. cemu is for the wii-u, the console between the wii and the switch with the giant tablet controller that nobody bought

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm a bit surprised by how good Switch emulation is. Presumably the two main emulators do dynamic binary translation from ARM(64?) and also have to translate nvidia shader binaries into a higher-level shader source language. Sure LLVM can do a lot of the heavy lifting for you but implementing something like that is still far from trivial.

On the other hand, nearly ten years after the console came out there still isn't a public PS4 emulator anywhere, and that console uses an x86 SoC, a bastardized version of FreeBSD, and a GPU that's almost identical to a publicly documented consumer GPU. I don't get it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mystes posted:

Does it do Wii U emulation though?

Ahh, I guess that's the difference. I still haven't tried any of those old school emulators, has anyone tried to add them through steam to stream through to the couch via steam link? Might need to try that would be dope to be able to play some old games in the living room.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

On the other hand, nearly ten years after the console came out there still isn't a public PS4 emulator anywhere, and that console uses an x86 SoC, a bastardized version of FreeBSD, and a GPU that's almost identical to a publicly documented consumer GPU. I don't get it.

aside from some first-party titles, almost everything else worth playing is on pc at this point. even the sony published stuff is often just a timed exclusive at most now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

more architectures sounds wild

not that this stuff would run on a raspberry pi 4 (although maybe it could be possible) but it would be nice to have a wii-u -like handheld ARM device. Then again, the steam deck has touchscreen.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh much like the switch made the wii-u kind of irrelevant i think switch emulators have made wii-u emulators pretty irrelevant. a handful of cool games wii-u-exclusive still, but most because they use the hardware in some interesting way which will be almost hopeless to make enjoyable in an emulator anyway. but some preservation at least.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

mystes posted:

Are you just complaining about your idea of what you imagine vscode is like without having actually used it?

kind of, yes. this is what my coworkers who use vscode do when we are working together

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

kind of, yes. this is what my coworkers who use vscode do when we are working together

that's a case of people not knowing how to use their tools vs the tools being inadequate

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The_Franz posted:

that's a case of people not knowing how to use their tools vs the tools being inadequate

okay, does vscode provide "find implementation" for python code then?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

okay, does vscode provide "find implementation" for python code then?

oh python? apparently not (yet)

is your company too cheap to pay for pycharm or something?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The_Franz posted:

Making a solid case for vim n linux here

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i use a python plugin and never had a problem op. works on my machine

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The_Franz posted:

oh python? apparently not (yet)

is your company too cheap to pay for pycharm or something?

no, we give out intellij licenses like candy, but the vscode/sublime users don't think they need it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, linux is great and no regular person needs to do anything arcane, as long as they don't have hardware and needs to run no software. in abstract it is awesome.

in before a bunch of "well works great for me" work ever shifting requirements suggested.

"Manufacturer/developer supported" isn't exactly a shifting requirement.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
You can fall into a support hole on windows. "AMD or Nvidia GPU" can actually be a hard requirement that takes a lot of effort to work around. I was in the absurd position of using Linux for gaming on my Iris Xe laptop because it was more reliable.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think people forget that no average user ever needs to touch the command line on a Chromebook.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sb hermit posted:

I think people forget Chromebook.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apparently education is using chomebooks a lot, and the biggest result of that decision is that kids come out of school not knowing what directories are because both their phones and laptops all operate on searching for everything ever lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

chromebooks are a non-entity here and kids still come out of school with very little concept of the file system

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 17, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Truga posted:

apparently education is using chomebooks a lot, and the biggest result of that decision is that kids come out of school not knowing what directories are because both their phones and laptops all operate on searching for everything ever lmao

probably should keep chomobooks away from schools

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't mean filesystem just directories in general. i've seen university profs complaining how kids can't figure out how to run a thing for homework because they can't put the homework files they got from chat next to the executables they downloaded from the school's website lmao

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Article about that phenomenon https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Computers have kinda made the metaphor irrelevant/anachronistic. Most young people have never seen a massive filing room where everybody has to follow a filing system or stuff gets lost. My dad was a cable splicer and he had a filing cabinet with his own system for managing his affairs.

Everyone I know now has a box or drawer and relies on scans.