Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've missed so much this week.... What's this about shenanigans apology? Apology for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've missed so much this week.... What's this about shenanigans apology? Apology for what?

he was mean to notable good boy bulbasaur

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my list

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Forbidden Memories feels like a randomizer and has that kind of couch-hangout vibe but that's just the game. The only thing the mod they use does is change the rewards for winning a duel from a single card to 15 cards. Like winning a booster pack instead

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

someone awful. posted:

he was mean to notable good boy bulbasaur

he was right.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

he was right.

Squirtle was always the best one anyway.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Grazi. There's a lot of unsung heroes behind-the-scenes doing cool, cool stuff. It's a very professional operation. There's a reason those credits are so long.

Thanks for your hard work! :tipshat:

quote:

Sonic 4 - I think there's lots of great

This may have been a typo, but honestly, this works.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

You should probably just watch the Pokemon Crystal run and see for yourself. But if not...

Shen was mean to Bulbasaur and eventually they created a donation incentive to have Shen write an apology to Bulbasaur. It was met.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DizzyBum posted:

You should probably just watch the Pokemon Crystal run and see for yourself. But if not...

Shen was mean to Bulbasaur and eventually they created a donation incentive to have Shen write an apology to Bulbasaur. It was met.

Is there also a runner named Bulbasaur, or are we referring to the Pokemon?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is there also a runner named Bulbasaur, or are we referring to the Pokemon?

literally the pokemon bulbasaur, yes

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I will always remember and treasure this playthrough

DizzyBum posted:

Sonic 4 Episode II - Simultaneously the most wholesome and cursed GDQ world record.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

another great marathon! cheers to all the runners and tech crew working tirelessly around the clock <3

here were some of my favourite runs that i managed to catch:

sunday
-metroid prime: hunters
-mega man 2
-mgs 2 tanker blindfolded

monday
-kena
-chicory
-crash team racing
-webbed
-super monkey ball: banana mania race
-pumpkin jack

tuesday
-ratchet & clank (2002) ng+
-dead rising
-paon beyond the pien

wednesday
-sonic 4 episode 2 coop
-pokémon crystal key item randomizer race
-slay the spire
-geoguessr
-shootmania storm
-trackmania
-halo 5 legendary

thursday
i missed awful block but by all accounts great as usual
-discworld
-half life 2
-lost judgment
-crossbeats rev sunrise
-ynglet

friday
-marble it up
-yugioh forbidden memories 15 card draw race
-portal reloaded
-dark souls all bosses race
-stepmania showcase w/ dancepad
-hades all weapons race

saturday
-wario land shake it
-earthbound
-new vegas all unique weapons
-halo legendary
-link to the past all bosses (no eg)
-sekiro blindfolded
-portal 2 inbounds
-metal gear solid all bosses extreme

see u next mission :cheers:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Youtube channel has VODs up through New Vegas at the moment, they're turning these things around pretty quickly.

There is also an Intro to Hotfix stream currently running on Twitch as visual methadone.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:emptyquote:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Azza Bamboo posted:

if you're watching awful block, give meegah mem a miss.
It's a totally reasonable run and runner, but it kinda goes on too long for the game's 2 jokes. Probably something to skim rather than watch in full.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Speaking of Awful Block, I am gonna be trying to organize a groupwatch of it in the Speedfriends Shitposting Discord (linked in the first post), mainly for people like me who were unable to catch it live but still want to experience it with live reactions from other people. So if you're interested in that, join the server and give me a highlight or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I will always remember and treasure this playthrough

Maybe it's just the dimensions, but this feels like prime gang tag material.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The Taz-Mania soundtrack is going to haunt me and I love it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

finally got to go back to watch awful block, all amazingly bad as usual but I think special stars were Taz-mania for the incredible soundtrack and Zadette for the pure concept of it. Pretty good race too. Meme man 2 was a bit disappointing tbh, I expected it to perfectly recreate the original except for the replaced sprites / audio but it couldnt even do that

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I missed heaps during the week so there's a bunch I have to go back to, but the highlights:

Tuesday

- NieR Automata run was educational, I'd never seen it speedrun before, let alone raced, lots of interesting skips
- Dead Rising was yeah zombies but the runner made it an entertaining watch

Thursday

- Half-Life 2 run was the fastest ever at a GDQ, shaving even more off dialogue cutscenes, mostly doing without boats and cars altogether, it's incredible what they're doing with it now.

Friday

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it just wouldn't be GDQ without a janky Bethesda game run and this managed to be the shortest proper run as well!
- Stardew Valley this is the first proper run (there was a previous race the last gdq?) seen at GDQ and what a collection of glitches!
- Portal Reloaded I had not heard of this before, what a crazy mod, Msushi made it look easy
- Hades Had to watch this, very intrigued by the conditions of the race, highly modded for speedrunning because of the intense RNG nature of the game, this will be interesting to follow in future GDQs as this community grows.

Saturday

I missed the Halo CE run but basically watched everything to the end of GDQ. I recommend you go and watch that run however, there are some highly amusing strats with rather questionable ethics.

I've seen a few "end of GDQs" but I think this was the best ever, I can't think of anything that beats the combination of that incredible Sekiro run, the surprise inclusion of Portal 2 and Msushi just smashing that, getting Deltarune AND the snowgrave route and Metal Gear Solid (and Boba-skip).

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 20, 2022

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxQSqiOuH5DJKTZF0aZKmSR2Vtvu6wFRNT

Abolish gender to go fast

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Watching this Forbidden Memories run knowing Kaizaron gets mercy killed is painful.

All the way up to the final fight only to get brutally denied.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Watched the Earthbound run and holy mess, TAS strats but just playing it live. Earthbound is one of my favorite games and I didn't know that you could break it quite like that.

The Stardew Valley run was cool, but I think its been known for a while that you can put item code in names. Seeing how the game reacted to some of it was fun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

I just love how much love there is in the community. I wish I enjoyed playing video games enough to actually run something and be in this crowd more than twice a year.

if you're crafty at all, donating a prize felt like a great way to participate.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My only talents are drawing digital shitposts, and motorcycle maintenance, lol.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Who says a drawing can't be a prize

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The earthbound run was amazing. If you haven’t seen earthbound any% since the last time it was at gdq or whatever, it’s a must see

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Electric Phantasm posted:

Watching this Forbidden Memories run knowing Kaizaron gets mercy killed is painful.

All the way up to the final fight only to get brutally denied.

People who use Twitter might want to give Keiz some good uplifting posting energy, because he's really torn up about that run. Not the way it ended, but the way people relentlessly harass him about being "the guy who can't finish a run and whose only contributions to the scene are memes," which apparently got really bad during / after that run. Which is utterly unfair, of course, he's an incredibly accomplished runner who also happens to be hilarious. People were sending in donation comments specifically to poo poo on him, apparently, which is some real toxic poo poo for a charity marathon.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Watching the Journey speedrun since it's one of many I missed, the commentator on this might be the Dixiest dang person I've ever heard

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

For fans of the Awful Block, try checking out Kusogrande, the bad video game tournament. It's run by Brossentia and a lot of the organizers and participants for Kusogrande contribute heavily to Awful Block.

Also totally not a plug because I am currently in winner's top 8 for it, and I got there by defeating a fellow goon in my last match

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Godspeed, GDQ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll never forgive him for apologizing, Squirtle Squad 4 lyfe

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I'll never forgive him for apologizing, Squirtle Squad 4 lyfe

:haibrow:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
orb

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Novasol posted:

For fans of the Awful Block, try checking out Kusogrande, the bad video game tournament. It's run by Brossentia and a lot of the organizers and participants for Kusogrande contribute heavily to Awful Block.

Also totally not a plug because I am currently in winner's top 8 for it, and I got there by defeating a fellow goon in my last match
More Awful Block stuff too: Big Bad Game-a-thon
A good chunk of the games in Awful Block were run in the most recent one.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBadGameathon/videos

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Croccers posted:

More Awful Block stuff too: Big Bad Game-a-thon
A good chunk of the games in Awful Block were run in the most recent one.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBadGameathon/videos
questioning the credentials of this marathon if it allowed good game The Bouncer into it

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
If anyone needed closure on Adef and the closet, there was a bit on the Sunday Hotfix that wrapped it up.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

What an incredible GDQ. Still catching up on the VoDs but so far the highlights of the marathon have been:

Three Dirty Dwarves
Pokemon Crystal
Environmental Station Alpha
Part Time UFO
Marathon 2: Durandal
Sonic 4
We Love Katamari
Chicory
Link to the Past
Sekiro

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm watching typing of the dead and some of the stuff you have to type is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

i'm watching typing of the dead and some of the stuff you have to type is pretty funny

If you liked Typing of the dead there was a really funny one a few years back at ESA, especially the bonus round where the runner Pulla was blindfolded and Punchy told him what the words were.

"What are these words???"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CESLrrxwhI&hd=1