Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.disneyverse.io/

Disney have scraped up a jumble of buzzwords and paid a website designer to put them all together in one place. That's about the best way I can describe whatever fresh hell this is that they're claiming to have ready by February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You sure that's legit?

I can't see Disney using a .io domain and the language is very casual.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, on second thought it's looking like someone trying to scam people by pretending to be Disney with an NFT style scam even if it doesn't explicitly say NFT.

In my defense, the metaverse is so loving stupid that it's hard to tell at first glance.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Extra row of tits posted:

Okdoky,

I’ve played the hell out of saints and sinners and it was cracking good! Is there anything else people who liked it also enjoy? It was my first “real” game in VR. My other games are pistol whip, thrill of the fight, synth riders.

HL Alyx?

null_pointer posted:

Isn't that going to change the thickness of the lens, thereby changing the refractivity and the prescription? It would definitely work for non-prescription lenses, but prescription ones?

I don't think it removes that much of the glass

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 17, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, on second thought it's looking like someone trying to scam people by pretending to be Disney with an NFT style scam even if it doesn't explicitly say NFT.

In my defense, the metaverse is so loving stupid that it's hard to tell at first glance.

Oh for sure. It would be very cool to have a virtual Disneyland with all the rides but like hell they're gonna put that much effort in.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to add a +1 that smoke and thunder campaign for Pistol Whip is awesome.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I beat it on hard for the first time today, I’m all sweaty. Also not wearing pants.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone playing Payday 2 still?

I restarted and the game still whips rear end. Though, smooth locomotion being tied to the controller instead of the headset and turning is snap-only sucks maaaajor rear end.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
Alright so I just upgraded my Quest 2 to a frankenquest, but I need a counterweight I think to make it perfect. What battery do y'all use with your Quests? I just want to make sure to buy one that can actually keep the Quest charged before the battery runs out of juice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

null_pointer posted:

Isn't that going to change the thickness of the lens, thereby changing the refractivity and the prescription? It would definitely work for non-prescription lenses, but prescription ones?

No idea. I've just fixed heaps of headsets with it to no bad things happening or whatever.

I figure if your shits so scratched youre considering it, its probably ok.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Extra row of tits posted:

Okdoky,

I’ve played the hell out of saints and sinners and it was cracking good! Is there anything else people who liked it also enjoy? It was my first “real” game in VR. My other games are pistol whip, thrill of the fight, synth riders.

HL: Alyx and Boneworks are still the only others in that category of quality, although HitmanVR is coming!

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
If I'm playing PCVR stuff over Airlink, where would I find refresh rate settings? Is it per game or in the oculus or SteamVR menus?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
After the Fall should work on Quest 2 and PCVR via Steam/Revive, right? That's how I interpret 'cross-buy', anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

If I'm playing PCVR stuff over Airlink, where would I find refresh rate settings? Is it per game or in the oculus or SteamVR menus?

Oculus app. Under device settings.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nuts and Gum posted:

After the Fall should work on Quest 2 and PCVR via Steam/Revive, right? That's how I interpret 'cross-buy', anyway.

cross buy means you get it across the two oculus storefronts (PC & Quest), there's no steam involved

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tip posted:

cross buy means you get it across the two oculus storefronts (PC & Quest), there's no steam involved

That makes sense. I thought revive was like a full oculus pc store -> steam hack but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

That makes sense. I thought revive was like a full oculus pc store -> steam hack but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It kinda is; It runs the Oculus PCVR client, but and emulates a non-Oculus headset to look like an Oculus one to it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 17, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I assume the person responding is using a Quest so wouldn't be aware of what Revive does.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

JumpyMonky posted:

Alright so I just upgraded my Quest 2 to a frankenquest, but I need a counterweight I think to make it perfect. What battery do y'all use with your Quests? I just want to make sure to buy one that can actually keep the Quest charged before the battery runs out of juice.

This guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With these cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ8RA3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I 3d printed a holder for that battery bank that gets taped and velcro wrapped on.

Similar to this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/960029...ion1=1855907825

Here's one specifically made for the Frankenquest and that Anker 10000: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4674929

Edit: And just to note, that Powerbank won't charge the Quest 2 while in use, but it keeps it from draining. You would need the PD version for it to charge while playing, but I don't find it necessary.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 17, 2022

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Substandard posted:

I have one of the netgear orbi RBR50 mesh setup and it works great. It's probably more or less the same thing you have so I assume you will be good.

I have a Virgin Hub 3.0 which is an absolute loving toilet of a router and it works fine 90% of the time as long as I make sure it's the only thing connected to 5ghz

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone playing Payday 2 still?

I restarted and the game still whips rear end. Though, smooth locomotion being tied to the controller instead of the headset and turning is snap-only sucks maaaajor rear end.

Yeah I started Payday 2 when I got into VR and I love it, it's been one of my most played VR games. There's a wonderful VR improvements mod that will solve both of those problems and more: https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/o1zkyp/psa_payday_2_vr_improvements_mod_has_been_updated/

My girlfriend just got a Reverb and we used to play Payday 2 together when only I had one so I've been looking forward to us getting back into it, though so far we've been having plenty of fun playing Cards & Tankards, After The Fall, and Legendary Tales.

Edit: You'll also need this for modding Payday: https://superblt.znix.xyz/

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 17, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did anyone ever made a mod for Payday 2 that makes it suitable for fewer players? I remember the bots being a bit terrible in that they don't do objectives, so a single-player round is mostly carrying a hundred bags yourself.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

You can toss bags onto the AI crew, they'll then carry one while following you around.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A lot of the objectives aren't bags, though, (so you spend the entire map fixing drills instead) and often you want to do the thing where you pick up a bag, throw it, pick up the next bag, throw that, and so on, so you end up with a single moving stack of bags your team-mates can protect instead of having to run the length of the map half-a-dozen times.

Ideally the mod would reduce the number of bags or other objectives (IE: Number of drill stoppages) by a factor of four. Someone in the Payday thread mentioned a mod which lets you carry multiple bags, which sounds like a start.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I recently got a Quest 2 and hoo boy this is the future. I just installed and modded Skyrim VR so I can spend another few hundred hours in that world, this time in glorious 3D :getin:

I also managed to set it up so I can connect it to my pc either wirelessly or with a cable and play SteamVR / Rift stuff, and it works much better than I anticipated (I have no experience with more expensive VR headsets so that might be part of the reason why) - the cable has great quality and recharges the headset too so you can play longer, but it's not ideal for standing games due to tangles etc, while Airlink keeps quite stable, maybe thanks to the fact that I'm a nerd and I wanted ethernet cables all over my house, so I have the PC and a Wifi 5 repeater in the room both hooked up via ethernet to the router. Got a few 1-second "black screens" but besides that it worked quite flawlessly with dynamic bitrate. I have to try fixed bitrate, what would be a good starting point? 100-150mbps? It can do max 200mbps apparently

As far as games go, I grabbed : Thrill of the Fight, Walkabout minigolf and Cubism directly on the quest; Blade & Sorcery, Demeo and Skyrim VR on Steam. Next up I'm looking at The Room VR and other similar "adventures/puzzlers"; I'm not a big fan of rhythm games but I guess I'll also have to grab one of Beat Saber, Synth Riders or Pistol Whip ...

anything else that's a must-buy? The one fault with VR I can see is that most games don't seem to be very replayable, they all seem quite short and quite expensive :smith: I'm way too used to Steam regularly putting 100-hours games on deep discount ...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 17, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Risk of Rain 2 will give you hundreds of hours and has co-op.

Pavlov and VR Chat are also big hitters for time sinks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TorakFade posted:

I'm not a big fan of rhythm games but I guess I'll also have to grab one of Beat Saber, Synth Riders or Pistol Whip ...

I have to throw out a recommendation for Ragnarock if you're looking for a rhythm game. The three you named have pretty similar soundtracks (though there's custom song support) and nothing I can really jam out to but Ragnarock has a lot of fun rock/metal/other stuff vaguely viking or boat themed and it's one of the best games I've played in VR. It's less dancey and more smashing on an invisible set of drums which I think is why I love it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

explosivo posted:

I have to throw out a recommendation for Ragnarock if you're looking for a rhythm game. The three you named have pretty similar soundtracks (though there's custom song support) and nothing I can really jam out to but Ragnarock has a lot of fun rock/metal/other stuff vaguely viking or boat themed and it's one of the best games I've played in VR. It's less dancey and more smashing on an invisible set of drums which I think is why I love it.

Oh yes! Ragnarock actually seemed to be the funniest and most interesting in this niche to me. But there is a question unanswered - does it have Immigrant Song in the soundtrack? If not, 0/10 for how can you even call it a Viking music game without that song :black101:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I haven't had to stop playing a game because it was too intense (not *scary*, just intense) in ages. But, last night, I finished the section in Alyx where you get the shotgun from the hanging corpse and immediately have to fight three zombies that come through the walls.

Emptied the first gun, quick-switched to pistol for the last one, stood there panting, and thought "okay, I think that's all I can take, for today". Wowsers. Just a fuckin' master class in VR game design.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TorakFade posted:

anything else that's a must-buy?

Half Life Alyx, because:

null_pointer posted:

I haven't had to stop playing a game because it was too intense (not *scary*, just intense) in ages. But, last night, I finished the section in Alyx where you get the shotgun from the hanging corpse and immediately have to fight three zombies that come through the walls.

Emptied the first gun, quick-switched to pistol for the last one, stood there panting, and thought "okay, I think that's all I can take, for today". Wowsers. Just a fuckin' master class in VR game design.

Ya same last night except the section later where you get the flashlight also from a hanging corpse and I was afraid to turn around because I knew it would spawn some enemies to hunt me in the dark

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TorakFade posted:

Oh yes! Ragnarock actually seemed to be the funniest and most interesting in this niche to me. But there is a question unanswered - does it have Immigrant Song in the soundtrack? If not, 0/10 for how can you even call it a Viking music game without that song :black101:

Well considering like Harmonix could never get Led Zeppelin it's safe to say you'll never hear a Zeppelin song in a videogame sadly. There's also a custom dlc scene for Ragnarock that's officially supported even on the quest version but there's not a ton of people working on them and nobody took a crack at Immigrant Song. There's plenty of other great Viking themed tracks though!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.disneyverse.io/

Disney have scraped up a jumble of buzzwords and paid a website designer to put them all together in one place. That's about the best way I can describe whatever fresh hell this is that they're claiming to have ready by February.

Already gone.

TorakFade posted:

anything else that's a must-buy? The one fault with VR I can see is that most games don't seem to be very replayable, they all seem quite short and quite expensive :smith: I'm way too used to Steam regularly putting 100-hours games on deep discount ...

Hotdogs Horsehoes and Handgrenades. Take and Hold has lots of replayability, and the "Return of the Rottenwiener" is basically a dungeon roguelike with guns (the dungeon being an outdoor environment, but it's a dungeon). Lots of modes to dick around in too as a bonus. Plus it's getting updated constantly.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've had HL Alyx for over a year and wasn't even aware of all the mods like Return To Rapture. Are these mods good? Almost like full games? Or are they buggy and short lived?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Minnesota Manatee posted:

Yeah I started Payday 2 when I got into VR and I love it, it's been one of my most played VR games. There's a wonderful VR improvements mod that will solve both of those problems and more: https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/o1zkyp/psa_payday_2_vr_improvements_mod_has_been_updated/

My girlfriend just got a Reverb and we used to play Payday 2 together when only I had one so I've been looking forward to us getting back into it, though so far we've been having plenty of fun playing Cards & Tankards, After The Fall, and Legendary Tales.

Edit: You'll also need this for modding Payday: https://superblt.znix.xyz/

Tried this out and all the options are there, the manager says it doesn't need updating and yet almost non of the options work at all. I still snap-turn in the briefing area and cannot turn at all in missions. Movement is still based on the controller and not the headset.

Reverb G2, if that matters.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I wish I could confidently reply with a solution but I'm not sure what's going wrong there. I have a G2 as well, though it's been nearly a year since I set this up for myself.

Are you using dash+direct movement?

Maybe try using a custom community controller binding if you haven't yet. I'm using "HP Reverb G2 full locomotion".

Oh and this might be useful info, I can't use my controller to turn at all while in the menu/briefing area but it works fine during a heist.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 17, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How weird that we have opposite problems.

I have a Quest 2 coming soon and playing wirelessly will circumvent the issue. That is, if I keep the unit.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Ended up buying after the fall on Steam, just in case it performed better natively. Very fun game, although I’m starting to think it’s worth keeping it on the arcade reload setting so I can reload while dual wielding.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i bought an index late last year and oh god i'm absolutely hooked on vrchat. i grew up reading books like Snow Crash and it's everything i wanted. i spent like 5 hours today just loving with a model in unity trying to add features/toggles to it and it was really fun/satisfying even if i'm dumb as hell.

now i just want to keep tinkering with it and adding more features to it to play with in game and on streams.

god help me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

forest spirit posted:

Have you heard of Long Days Journey into Night??

Holy poo poo. What a loving great film and only possible in 3D

Avoid spoilers for God's sake. Or don't you're you and you do your own thing

Without getting into spoilers, what makes the 3D angle important?

I see it's on Amazon Prime but is it really a "don't bother unless you can see it in 3D" situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Ended up buying after the fall on Steam, just in case it performed better natively. Very fun game, although I’m starting to think it’s worth keeping it on the arcade reload setting so I can reload while dual wielding.

Apologies if this isn't the case for you, but when I first started After The Fall I assumed that I would need a hand to be empty before I could use it to reload. Not the case! The gun you're holding will just temporarily vanish while you're using that hand do anything like reload your other hand's gun, grip your rifle with both hands, pull open cabinets, or hold boosters and bombs. The gun will reappear once you let go of whatever else you're holding onto.

But perhaps you simply meant that you want to be able to continue firing one gun while reloading the other. From lurking the Discord it sounds like most people playing on higher difficulties use quick reload, choosing gameplay advantage over immersion.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 18, 2022