Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I do CAD work for the semiconductor industry, mostly making sure that our schematics and layouts work properly and don't have any design errors. Before that I did semiconductor reliability work, mostly ESD testing and automotive qualifications, and before that I worked in a grocery store praying for death every day for the six years I was there.

mkvltra posted:

I'm a CAD jockey / subject matter expert. I design electro-mechanical poo poo and create documentation and technical data packages for engineering projects. I wouldn't call myself a true blue engineer but engineering is part of my job. Another big part of my job is reviewing the work of actual, professional hardware engineers and telling them why their designs and CAD assemblies suck. I currently work from home for a robotics company and it owns.

Doing any work with robotics sounds like it kicks rear end, robots are cool

Do you work more on the mechanical side, or are you more electrical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm a controls "engineer". I design, program, and commission PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers), I also go and troubleshoot PLCs that aren't acting right. I usually spend most of my time in my office, waiting for one of the account managers to find a project for me to work on. I do 96% of my work for/at local steel mills, but I've also worked at food packaging, print presses, and chemical plants.

Right now I've been contracted out to a Shell plant to take over for a co-worker who's looking to retire this year. I am going to be their "controls" guy. Only difference is that they have a DCS (Distributed Control System). PLCs are "usually" just on a machine or running one part of a bigger process. A DCS is the plant, everything is connected to it and it provides IO and SCADA.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Abongination posted:

I make detailed and extremely accurate 3D models of stuff using drones, 3D laser scanners and photogrammetry. It's pretty cool and fairly newish tech that's advancing quickly.

I now work for the evil oil and gas industry though, RIP earth.

I knew someone who did this out in Roanoke, TX. Same thing maybe? He had a degree in geology and flew drones to map terrain for oil companies if I understood him right. Sounds cool.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Patent examining.

For now, anyway. Until they finally fire me for my heretical stance of "good is better than fast when you're dicking about with billion dollar industries full of psychotically litigious multinationals".

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

(on verge of tears) im a project manager

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
There was a virtual school around here that allegedly culled all the info from deceased children aged 6-18 in the whole state and enrolled them. They got millions in funding. The guy responsible cashed out and disappeared... they never found him from my understanding. Allegedly, of course.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Sorry,

I was asked to become one. I said no.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Fiber optic and copper cable splicing. I jump into manholes and use a bucket truck to get access to it, then use a $10k machine to fuse tiny strands of glass together. Usually it works.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fuckj you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you the guy constantly calling me into meetings? JUST LET ME WORK

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

neato burrito posted:

Fiber optic and copper cable splicing. I jump into manholes and use a bucket truck to get access to it, then use a $10k machine to fuse tiny strands of glass together. Usually it works.

Fiber optic welding machines are so loving cool

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you the guy constantly calling me into meetings? JUST LET ME WORK

every time you complain i schedule a new weekly meeting to “touch base” where I say “uh… um…” into the mic for 40 minutes

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nice thing about the steel mills is project managers don't get to do that 2 hour meeting BS cause everyone else actually has to keep the plant running and has no patience for project managers like that. So there would be like a 1 hour meeting once a week. It's very nice.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Empty Sandwich posted:

I have an internet friend doing field science in AK. it's variously cool and intimidating to see his posts, not least because he wears a specialized holster with a cocked .45 for grizzlies.

I did field work for my bachelors thesis and it gave me great experiences but I was also wet and cold for a great deal of the time.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Im also a teacher. High school English. I also coach high school sports year round. I made a similar thread not too long ago because I work close to 60 hours a week and it sucks. I used to be good with it, but now Im recently married and recently bought a house and got some dogs and all I want to do is be in my house with my wife and my dogs. I'm going to quit coaching wrestling next year because its miserable and all my athletes are the softest kids you've ever seen. But I dont work in July or August and do a lot of vegetable gardening and cooking. I also read like 100-200 pages a day. Thank God for pot gummies or i'd have had a nervous breakdown a long time ago.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dervinosdoom posted:

Nice thing about the steel mills is project managers don't get to do that 2 hour meeting BS cause everyone else actually has to keep the plant running and has no patience for project managers like that. So there would be like a 1 hour meeting once a week. It's very nice.

i have so much loving work to do right now i've told the PMs to not talk to me or invite me to meetings unless they absolutely need to see CAD or something. which they always say they do because the robots and automation i design are all custom. no i will not give you a timeline because you are constantly interrupting it!!!!!!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i manage events big and small and sometimes man the soundboard and sometimes assist stage manager and sometimes just chillen but gettin paid

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

That’s pretty sick that you work at the robot store tbh

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I fix European cars. No I'm not trying to make money on the side(you can't afford me)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm a disability carer for vulnerable young adults, none of whom can wear a mask. Now bubbling and lockdown is over I'm at the mercy of their carers/parents to not be idiots.

tl:dr I catch covid for a living OP

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have daily panic attacks about my cat who is recovering from hip surgery and I draw for like 5-10 mins a day when I'm not anxiously staring at a wall

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm responsible for a crumbling Active Directory infrastructure.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I make income by drawing commissions of character portraits of peoples characters from a quarter-century-old MMO videogame, like this

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Thank God for pot gummies or i'd have had a nervous breakdown a long time ago.

Teachers should be supplied with weed in the annual budget. Give them vouchers to dispensaries or a monthly stipend. gently caress, get a converted bookmobile to come around monthly for the faculty for a county provided ounce/equivalent edibles. If they're not going to pay you poo poo, at least cut you some sort of benefit for working so drat hard.

Only teachers I've known to cop to weed are always english teachers. Always. Others smoke, but english teachers are always the first to admit it.

Math teachers seem way less likely, or the hardest to crack like they have to be caught joint in hand.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
has anyone said your mom yet?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
My HS math teacher had long hair and regularly showed up late to our 1pm class because he'd fall asleep on the staffroom couch

You're telling me that man never touched a weed?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I help design and produce Covid test kits for the world.

Edit- Also biopsy and other medical equipment. But for now i work with dozens of companies to produce Covid testing kits.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 17, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ante posted:

My HS math teacher had long hair and regularly showed up late to our 1pm class because he'd fall asleep on the staffroom couch

You're telling me that man never touched a weed?

Nah. Just that math teachers on a whole are less likely to partake or admit to it. He'd be an outlier.

Every math teacher I've had with exception of one was so tightly wound that weed just doesn't seem to exist in their ecosystem. And my exwife is a math teacher. About half her family is teachers or work in the schools in some way. The math teachers were way bigger fans of cheap wine than weed.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i must compose posted:

Hey I got a hobby for you buddy; read the op which clearly states that I have no free time.

GOT 'EM!

stretch your rear end in a top hat and post pics here as a hobby

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DrSunshine posted:

I'm a corporate librarian in the tech field
What does this mean??

I'm a vet tech. I poke animals with needles, take x-rays, assist in surgeries, clean teeth, etc. I used to do this quite a lot of hours every week because Illinois is expensive and vet techs are poor, but then we moved to NC where things are more affordable and for some inscrutable reason techs make more (not the case for most other jobs here), so now I do it less hours a week, and spend more time at the beach.

If you like animals and hate money, have I got the career for you. My general happiness level is significantly higher than when I was in a better paying industry though.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah. Just that math teachers on a whole are less likely to partake or admit to it. He'd be an outlier.

Every math teacher I've had with exception of one was so tightly wound that weed just doesn't seem to exist in their ecosystem. And my exwife is a math teacher. About half her family is teachers or work in the schools in some way. The math teachers were way bigger fans of cheap wine than weed.

The math teachers I work with are dour, humorless, and extremely uptight with one or two exceptions. Basically, what you thought your math teachers were like in school wasn't just you being a kid - its how they actually are.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i have so much loving work to do right now i've told the PMs to not talk to me or invite me to meetings unless they absolutely need to see CAD or something. which they always say they do because the robots and automation i design are all custom. no i will not give you a timeline because you are constantly interrupting it!!!!!!

Thursdays at the company I work for are "meeting free". No one is allowed to host or attend meetings from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Great policy IMO

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

That’s pretty sick that you work at the robot store tbh

it's fun when i'm not so busy. right now i'm stressed about a lot of things tho

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mkvltra posted:

I'm a CAD jockey / subject matter expert. I design electro-mechanical poo poo and create documentation and technical data packages for engineering projects. I wouldn't call myself a true blue engineer but engineering is part of my job. Another big part of my job is reviewing the work of actual, professional hardware engineers and telling them why their designs and CAD assemblies suck. I currently work from home for a robotics company and it owns.

oh hey robot designer buddy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I coulda sworn I saw my old math teacher at O'hare International ten years ago and while I was staring at her, trying to figure out who she was, I realized it was Candy, the intervener from A&E reality series Intervention

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm the best teacher, an ESL teacher. And I get to drive between three different schools everyday, it rocks. The only downside is the planning because I have like 15 different classes which all need different lesson plans and most of them are five days a week so about 70 ish different lessons every week. But no extracurricular bullshit for me, no thank you; I co-led cub scouts one year and it was cool but that was when I was only at one school with far fewer students and didn't have kids of my own.

Also don't make jack in terms of money but the job is fun, kids are cool. Thank god my wife can support us.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The math teachers I work with are dour, humorless, and extremely uptight with one or two exceptions. Basically, what you thought your math teachers were like in school wasn't just you being a kid - its how they actually are.

My Geometry teacher in 10th grade was straight up abusive. Whenever she saw me doodling she would grab whatever I was drawing on from me and throw it away. If it was a worksheet, she would throw the one I was drawing on away and give me a blank one.

I took a year of "Math for Liberal Arts" in college and both semesters were taught by one of the coolest loving teachers ever. For word problems / examples of his own creation he would almost exclusively invent situations involving Hakeem Olajuwon, the greatest and most underrated athlete of all time (according to him). When it came to reading word problems out of one of our textbooks, he would do his best to keep us entertained and focused as he taught, for example: "Jessica and Kelly are meeting up at their favorite restaurant for brunch. Kelly orders a glass of orange juice for $2.50 and Jessica orders a glass of milk for $1.50, yada yada yada, how much did each of their meals cost?"

"Nah- this needs to be more realistic. How about Kelly smoked a blunt on the way to the restaurant and Jessica is going to drink at least three mimosas before 11:00 AM. How faded are they by the time they finish brunch?"

mkvltra fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 17, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My BiL is a maths teacher. He has a history degree and much more of a history teacher aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Paper mache erotica