Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

neutral milf hotel posted:

I just remembered that the FBI operation to shut down one of the early dark web market places was called Operation TorPedo

lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I just remembered that the FBI operation to shut down one of the early dark web market places was called Operation TorPedo

lol

it literally was pedo forums that got targeted, hence the name

edit: they also named another shutdown Operation Pacifier

ymgve fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 17, 2022

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

it literally was pedo forums that got targeted, hence the name

yep. and they were hosted on the tor network

drk
Jan 16, 2005
it probably took thousands of hours of meetings to come up with that name, but it was worth it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

drk posted:

it probably took thousands of hours of meetings to come up with that name, but it was worth it

The guy who suggested 'To Catch a PedoTor' must have fought tooth and nail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drk posted:

it was quite a bit better than the usual dumb names you see military and law enforcement come up with.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the FBI seems to be particularly good at operation names. i mean they're not great but they're better than any other org at doing it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
what's the nft equivalent of this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1483192408422690816

starting......... now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Midjack posted:

it was quite a bit better than the usual dumb names you see military and law enforcement come up with.

well depending on the threat you are supposed to keep project names dumb so if they leak no one can discern any info from them

thats why they called it the manhattan project and not project big bomb

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

well depending on the threat you are supposed to keep project names dumb so if they leak no one can discern any info from them

thats why they called it the manhattan project and not project big bomb

i mean yeah, there's the internal project name that's supplied by a random word generator but things that get announced publicly frequently get a different name that's hand-picked.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spent too much money on Matt Damon and football sponsorships and arena naming rights

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
we regret to inform you that the rights to the naming of the football stadium were lost in the hack, so the stadium's name has been changed to a url for a site hosting numerous viruses, trojans, and spyware. there is nothing we can do about this

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

https://www.uniqord.com/

???

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

lol

An interesting thing about the operation was the method: they used malware to get in. This also got the case thrown out though. The method itself was a bit “torpedo”.

Great name, very great name.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

crazysim posted:

An interesting thing about the operation was the method: they used malware to get in. This also got the case thrown out though. The method itself was a bit “torpedo”.

Great name, very great name.

wikipedia posted:

The U.S. Department of Justice noted in December 2015 that besides McGrath, 18 users in the United States had been convicted as a result of the operation.

????

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

https://www.vice.com/en/article/vv77p9/playpen-tor-browser-exploit

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The EFF should have shutdown and disbanded out of embarrassment for that case, and yet....

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1483570191237672961

can't make an announcement teaser anymore without people bracing for the worst

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

I guess Torpedo did succeed, but the technique maybe hasn't.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Whenever the government doesn't want to reveal it's methods, they're usually constitutionally suspect (see parallel construction). "If you've got nothing to hide" turned around back on the cops.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
LIkely the method used exceeded what the search warrant allowed. If the courts rule against the government it allows everyone charged in that operation and ops like it to challenge their convictions.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect a lot of crimes are basically the government uses the panopticon to find the offender then works backwards to figure out how to build evidence that meets legal standards

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

the FBI seems to be particularly good at operation names. i mean they're not great but they're better than any other org at doing it

Some FBI nomenclature expert is going to sleep happy tonight after reading this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shame Boy posted:

can't make an announcement teaser anymore without people bracing for the worst

this wording has become pretty popular among marketing twats, i saw a podcast clip of the hosts complaining that using the same language a lot of nft fucks use before a launch had people assuming they were about to do nfts

feels like there's an easy way to avoid this kind of thing, like saying "we'll have an important podcast announcement" and not "soon you'll be able to show your love in a whole new way"

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

Using physical exercise to generate mining power. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 15 minutes ago by dontletmedaytrade

Apologies if this has already been asked.
I would love to one day quit my job and move to small renewable powered house on the coast.
I suspect it is not possible by many orders of magnitude...
But could you (theoretically) generate the power required for say just $100 a day for petrol and some food on an exercise bike?
Does anyone have any very basic figures to get an idea?

quote:

dontletmedaytrade a minute ago

So I’ve found the answer. Approx 160,000 hours of riding for 1 bitcoin.
($100/$40,000)x160,000=400 hours of riding for $100.
Sadly, gently caress that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

buttcoin: sadly, gently caress that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I suspect a lot of crimes are basically the government uses the panopticon to find the offender then works backwards to figure out how to build evidence that meets legal standards

that definitely is a thing, agencies even give training for it to their agents: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_construction

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the 4st

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
im the scale

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

im the scale

assume a spherical post in a vacuum

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1483540705947668482

starting...........now

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that one episode of black mirror with the exercise bikes, but with bitcoin (instead of socialcreditcoin)

i love the thought process, though. surely my weird human internal chemical plant can produce energy that can be converted to electricity more cost-effectively than the power company, and then surely nobody has realized that after using electricity to mine bitcoin you can sell the bitcoin for real money, meaning that the margins on this endeavor must be so high that a single person can live on the profits of even a trickle of mining power

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fortune favors the bold

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I hope they can still pay for their arena!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Can someone explain what a mixer is, other than a tool for money laundering?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

its not moneylaundering, its just mixing around all the money, like in a washing machine, and making it all clean of its previous history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
coin goes in, coin goes out