Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm reading Dubliners by James Joyce.

Oh you wanna spout clout? your time's running out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

currently reading Kissing Carrion:Stories by Gemma Files

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor’s Baby by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya. It’s a real downer

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Sid Vicious posted:

currently reading Kissing Carrion:Stories by Gemma Files

I love Gemma Files but I haven’t read this one yet, what do you think?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I love Gemma Files but I haven’t read this one yet, what do you think?

really good the first story is about a woman who turns corpses into marionettes which she uses to gently caress a necrophile on stage but its from the perspective of the current one being used

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blindsight by Peter Watts

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Sid Vicious posted:

really good the first story is about a woman who turns corpses into marionettes which she uses to gently caress a necrophile on stage but its from the perspective of the current one being used

Ok I’m sold

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I guess I should read isaboo’s friends like these since I own it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm currently reading I Hate You, OP by myself.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm currently reading I Hate You, OP by myself.

You're one of the lesser known haters and clout chasers

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I don't read books, op. High school English and lit classes ruined that for me.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Frankenstein by Dean Koontz.

The premise is that neither Viktor nor his monster ever died. The origin stories we know are loose interpretations through lore, but roughly true. Viktor has been busy, we're in modern times, and there's murder afoot.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jelly posted:

Frankenstein by Dean Koontz.

The premise is that neither Viktor nor his monster ever died. The origin stories we know are loose interpretations through lore, but roughly true. Viktor has been busy, we're in modern times, and there's murder afoot.

has he calmed down with the purple prose that was what put me off Koontz, reading about some woman being kidnapped in an RV and he tells me whats in every fuckin cupboard

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hollowed Kingdom was my latest read.

Pretty dope.

Features my main man poo poo Turd the Crow.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

has he calmed down with the purple prose that was what put me off Koontz, reading about some woman being kidnapped in an RV and he tells me whats in every fuckin cupboard
I probably love detail saturation so I may not be the best person to ask. I've read a lot of Koontz but probably not for a couple decades so hard to compare any changes in style. It hasn't struck me as such yet. I've had a hard time getting back into reading so I thought picking something light and fun would be good.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just started The School of the Americas: Military Training and Political Violence in the Americas by Leslie Gills. Only 40 pages in, but pretty interesting so far. if anyone has ready any other good books on insurgencies/counter-insurgencies, please let me know :)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

City of Dreams about the history of immigration to NYC.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

STABASS posted:

I just started The School of the Americas: Military Training and Political Violence in the Americas by Leslie Gills. Only 40 pages in, but pretty interesting so far. if anyone has ready any other good books on insurgencies/counter-insurgencies, please let me know :)

I really liked Daniele Ganser’s book on Operation Gladio. And not about counter-insurgency precisely but very relevant and interesting is Henrik Kruger’s book The Great Heroin Coup: Drugs, Intelligence, & International Fascism

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Vaping by some guy. And a pop lit japanese novel called Cult X that at least has a nice cover.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

kntfkr posted:

I'm reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Vaping by some guy. And a pop lit japanese novel called Cult X that at least has a nice cover.

I used that guy’s first book to quit smoking a couple years ago! It was kind of hokey but it worked like a charm

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Gulliver's Travels. It's good so far

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I used that guy’s first book to quit smoking a couple years ago! It was kind of hokey but it worked like a charm

I had downloaded it as a free pdf but couldn't bring myself to go thru files > on phone > PDF enough to read and finish it so I went to look for the physical thing and they had the vaping one which is right on the money cuz I replaced cigarettes with 50mg salts and my chest feels not good, all the time.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

I really liked Daniele Ganser’s book on Operation Gladio. And not about counter-insurgency precisely but very relevant and interesting is Henrik Kruger’s book The Great Heroin Coup: Drugs, Intelligence, & International Fascism

I'll put them on my list, thanks

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i tried to read alan carrs quit smoking book but my adhd and hyperfixating make it insanely difficult to focus on anything im not really interested in

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

kntfkr posted:

Huh I may have to give this a shot , never heard of it before.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

is there any actual method in that book, because i read some of it and it just seemed like 'believe it hard and it will be amazing' kind of stuff

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

roomtone posted:

is there any actual method in that book, because i read some of it and it just seemed like 'believe it hard and it will be amazing' kind of stuff

thats all i got from what i read lol

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I am reading "The Cartel", sequel to "The Power of the Dog" and the second book in Don Winslow's Cartel trilogy. It's a sprawling series that tells the story of the of a cartel kingpin and the agent who is charge of taking him down. It's fiction but a ton of the people and events are based in reality, on things that really happened and the people who did them.

It's a very entertaining read, my favorite thing to do is after you read about some particularly gruesome and outlandish-seeming event, to then go see if it's made up or if it was based in reality. For instance there really was a cartel hitman who seduced an enemy bosses wife and had her withdraw millions of dollars, then chopped her head off and mailed it to the boss which drove him nearly insane, and then the hitman threw their kids off a bridge.

Good times.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I picked up The Devil in the White City at a thrift shop a couple months ago and I finally cracked it last night

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Tumble posted:

I am reading "The Cartel", sequel to "The Power of the Dog" and the second book in Don Winslow's Cartel trilogy. It's a sprawling series that tells the story of the of a cartel kingpin and the agent who is charge of taking him down. It's fiction but a ton of the people and events are based in reality, on things that really happened and the people who did them.

It's a very entertaining read, my favorite thing to do is after you read about some particularly gruesome and outlandish-seeming event, to then go see if it's made up or if it was based in reality. For instance there really was a cartel hitman who seduced an enemy bosses wife and had her withdraw millions of dollars, then chopped her head off and mailed it to the boss which drove him nearly insane, and then the hitman threw their kids off a bridge.

Good times.

Anything by Don Winslow is good!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A trashy cringe fantasy web serial

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

roomtone posted:

It’s basically that but I decided to just not be cynical and give it a try and it worked for me even though I wanted to roll my eyes. It’s certainly nothing groundbreaking or scientific though

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Derek of the Andes posted:

Anything by Don Winslow is good!!

Yea he writes some entertaining stuff. It's a shame his books get optioned for movie adaptations that seem to always get caught in development hell. The only one that's been made is The Savages and that was a pretty 'meh' movie.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Geoffrey Howe’s “Conflict of Loyalty”, signed by the man himself. I need to finish it up because I have Fante’s Bandini quartet and a book on Hungarian history on deck.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The Tommyknockers by Stephen King
100 pages in. Oof. One of his weaker ones. The male lead acted like a drunken rear end in a top hat, ranting over nuclear power for 30 straight pages. It's interesting so far because of the history--it was one of his last junkie/alcoholic books and years later SK realized it was a whole metaphor for his own substance abuse problems. IIRC he admitted he doesn't even remember writing and working on the book at all (same for Cujo, which was good.)

Please Kill Me, the punk history book
Been slogging through this. Lots of people beating their own drum about how cool and great they are.

Recently finished:
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Fine and short breezy read, but for a National Book Award winner, it left me with a huge "That's it?" reaction. Listened to some podcasts, lectures, and various other YouTube content about it, but I still don't feel like I get it. Guess you had to be there. Okayishly decent.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

100 pages in. Oof. One of his weaker ones. The male lead acted like a drunken rear end in a top hat, ranting over nuclear power for 30 straight pages. It's interesting so far because of the history--it was one of his last junkie/alcoholic books and years later SK realized it was a whole metaphor for his own substance abuse problems. IIRC he admitted he doesn't even remember writing and working on the book at all (same for Cujo, which was good.)
Cujo was, easily, King's best novel.

I can barely remember what Tommyknockers was about. Pretty sure that was in his "rambling nonsense" phase, along with Dreamcatcher.

e: Apparently these books were over a decade apart, but seriously got similar vibes from them

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ProperCoochie posted:

Please Kill Me, the punk history book
Been slogging through this. Lots of people beating their own drum about how cool and great they are.

Recently finished:
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Fine and short breezy read, but for a National Book Award winner, it left me with a huge "That's it?" reaction. Listened to some podcasts, lectures, and various other YouTube content about it, but I still don't feel like I get it. Guess you had to be there. Okayishly decent.

i read the tommyknockers in prison and i was like man i would honestly rather just stare at the wall but i finished it still

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
House of Leaves.

If you've ever thought, "Man, this Wikipedia article about sound traveling in a vacuum is great, but you know what would make it even better? An underlying sense of dread and mental instability!", then this book is for you.

I like it!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Grumblepuff posted:

House of Leaves.

If you've ever thought, "Man, this Wikipedia article about sound traveling in a vacuum is great, but you know what would make it even better? An underlying sense of dread and mental instability!", then this book is for you.

I like it!

my wife got me the color edition like 6 years after me mentioning off hand how much i want it, gotta read it still though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm currently reading Water Sleeps by Glen Cook. Its part of the Black Company series its pretty good.