Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-not-interested-in-virtue-shaming-activision-1848334067

As expected, the companies who announced that they were watching situations and reconsidering relationships are now going to have to admit they do not intend to do anything at all. However, this is a unique spin on that for sure.

Honestly he could have stopped at "I'm not allowed to go into it publicly" but when you give these company types enough rope they just can't help themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

30.5 Days posted:

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-not-interested-in-virtue-shaming-activision-1848334067

As expected, the companies who announced that they were watching situations and reconsidering relationships are now going to have to admit they do not intend to do anything at all. However, this is a unique spin on that for sure.

His statement to me reads "I wish there were something I could do about this, but this is above my paygrade." I can all but promise that every lawyer he's spoken to had an opinion about how to respond, but they all fell somewhere along the lines of "Play it safe, condem ActiBlizz, but don't make any determinative statements that might come back to bite us in the rear end."

This guy and the Xbox brand have very little to gain by crucifying ActiBlizz - and a lot to lose. I agree with this:

Magmarashi posted:

Honestly he could have stopped at "I'm not allowed to go into it publicly" but when you give these company types enough rope they just can't help themselves

but that may have been a little too milquetoast, and this guy wanted to show some solidarity.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I dunno, I feel that's giving him too much benefit of the doubt. He also basically said "look, Microsoft sucks too, so who are we to judge?"

Phil Spencer posted:

“We have changed how we do certain things with them, and they’re aware of that,” he said. “But I also—this isn’t about, for us as Xbox, virtue-shaming other companies. Xbox’s history is not spotless.”

As an example of Xbox’s own problematic past, Spencer referenced a now infamous 2016 GDC party Microsoft hosted that included women in schoolgirl outfits dancing on platforms. Spencer apologized for it at the time, and did so again in an interview with Axios last November. Two former senior Xbox employees were mentioned in last year’s reports about misconduct at Activision Blizzard, but Microsoft has so far declined to comment on them.

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS
https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-blizzard-women-interviews/

Some quotes from this article that stand out to me:

quote:

The closer a woman worked with certain "rockstar" developers (who at times could behave with the general arrogance implied by the word, making unreasonable demands or throwing tantrums) and high-level management, the more warnings she'd start to hear from other women, says Iris. The basic warning was: "Watch out for this person if they start drinking." A more specific warning was: "Don't go to anything this person invites you to." After work social events could take unexpected turns, she says.
I really want to know who these people are... we know the things Afrasiabi did, but I want to hear more names. IMO these men are getting away with it. I assume the ones that got sacked a while ago are some of them but I doubt its all of them

quote:

And women who spoke up, whether about unfair treatment or to criticize creative decisions such as oversexualized character designs, had a "target on their back," says Iris. When she criticized a creative decision that had a racist connotation, for example, she says that "opportunities started to plummet" for her.

"That's the point that really upsets me," says Iris. "There were people who saw, people who knew, and they just never did anything. And if you spoke up, or you pushed back, then you were a problem. The rungs on your ladder were taken."
No doubt why the wow team is now falling over itself to plaster over paintings of women with bowls of fruit.

quote:

"There are some genuine people in leadership positions" at Activision Blizzard, says Violet. She loved one of the teams she worked on and liked the boss she reported to prior to quitting. But she was not at all shocked by the allegations in the California lawsuit, and doesn't trust executives like Kotick or Townsend to improve the company.
I'd also like to know who these good bosses are, tbh.

quote:

In the immediate aftermath of the lawsuit, Violet didn't feel that Blizzard leadership was making a genuine effort to change the company. People were fired, but the email that announced the departures to employees didn't explain why.

"If [the firings] meant something, they would be like, 'Here's what these people did. Don't do this,'" said Violet.
This. Quietly letting people go just sucks. Give their potential future victims a chance by making it publicly known why these people with public personas are no longer there

quote:

In October, Kotick said that Activision Blizzard strives to have the "strictest harassment and non-retaliation policies of any employer." Specifics about recent HR investigations that led to the dismissal of 20-plus employees have not been disclosed.

"We are aware of the greater desire for transparency from the company, particularly in this area," an Activision Blizzard spokesperson told PC Gamer. "As part of our ongoing commitment to our employees, we are continuing to consider ways in which we can be more transparent, especially when it comes to workplace investigations, and we are moving in that direction."

quote:

Holly joined Blizzard early in her career, and after she left Blizzard for a new job in the game industry, she was astonished by how different it was. "I honestly cannot see anyone doing 90% of the poo poo that went on at Blizzard [at my new company]," she says. Although she didn't directly experience sexual harassment, she heard stories, and says she witnessed drunk coworkers talk about women like "frat bros," a term used in the California lawsuit.

"Everything was so normalized [at Activision Blizzard]. I thought this was the entire industry, an industry-wide problem, and to some degree it is, but I'm being treated way better than I was at Blizzard."

quote:

In contrast, Holly is much happier with her current compensation, and says that "there's a lot more communication" from the top at her current company. She's hearing a similar story from others who left the company in recent years.

"Whether they were laid off or left voluntarily, every single person I know is in a better position than they were during their time at Blizzard," says Holly.
Saying 'it's everywhere' or 'its the whole industry' is giving Blizz a pass. I truly believe with everything I've read that they seem to be a particularly egregious example.

quote:

The problems that led Holly and the others to leave Blizzard started a long time ago, but Holly says that the reputational collapse that led to today started around the time of BlizzCon 2018, which included the infamous Diablo Immortal announcement. That BlizzCon was demoralizing, she says, and the sense that Blizzard was a "cool game company" where everyone was "family" started to crack.

As trust in "Blizzard magic" faded, employees "stopped putting up with the behavior and pay discrepancies," she says.

At the same time and just a little ways up the coast from Blizzard's Irvine headquarters, Santa Monica-based developer Riot Games was being scrutinized following sexism and harassment allegations.

"People think Riot is bad?" Violet recalls thinking at the time. "We knew the reckoning was coming."
I mean... yeah.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

genovefa fedelmid posted:

I'd also like to know who these good bosses are, tbh.

Well we already know one of them, Jeff "tigole bitties" Kaplan

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Kaplan had a reputation for sticking up for his team.

Sadly I suspect he either was forced out or got tired of the constant fight.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Eej posted:

Well we already know one of them, Jeff "tigole bitties" Kaplan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDItOwN_SU

Every time I see him mentioned in this thread there’s the brief flash of fear that he turns out to have been involved in the ActiBlizzard shitshow. I hope not, I always enjoyed his interactions with the community.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDItOwN_SU

Every time I see him mentioned in this thread there’s the brief flash of fear that he turns out to have been involved in the ActiBlizzard shitshow. I hope not, I always enjoyed his interactions with the community.
All the reports I've seen indicate that he's a good dude and did everything he could to shield the Overwatch team from the garbage that was happening in the rest of the company.

Ironic indeed that the guy who used to have the handle 'Tigole Bitties' was one of the few 'rockstar' developers who actually grew up and behaved like a reasonable person.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Lol I assumed 'Tigole' was french.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
loving lol that the Blizzcon announcement of a phone game was even more disastrous internally than externally.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

https://kotaku.com/riot-games-offers-resignation-bonuses-as-company-announ-1848348892
So Riot are offering 25% of annual salary, 3 months subsidized health benefits and other stuff if folks quit currently.

I'm not sure which way this will go. Like you're probably gonna get both folks who don't trust them to commit to change and folks upset Riot wants to change at all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah Kaplan had a reputation for sticking up for his team.

Sadly I suspect he either was forced out or got tired of the constant fight.

Jeff's official farewell message on the Blizzard website was completely uncapitalized and like two paragraphs long so both possibilities seem believable.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Eej posted:

Jeff's official farewell message on the Blizzard website was completely uncapitalized and like two paragraphs long so both possibilities seem believable.

I do not remember this at all--as in, I don't remember the message, period, not that I am doubting your claims. Is there any record of it still around?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dick Burglar posted:

I do not remember this at all--as in, I don't remember the message, period, not that I am doubting your claims. Is there any record of it still around?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/krisholt/2021/04/20/overwatch-game-director-jeff-kaplan-is-leaving-blizzard/

quote:

I am leaving Blizzard Entertainment after 19 amazing years.

It was truly the honor of a lifetime to have the opportunity to create worlds and heroes for such a passionate audience. I want to express my deep appreciation to everyone at Blizzard who supported our games, our game teams and our players. But I want to say a special thanks to the wonderful game developers that shared in the journey of creation with me.

Never accept the world as it appears to be. Always dare to see it for what it could be. I hope you do the same.

GG,

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Thanks for that.

Kris Holt posted:

His note is lovely. Here it is in full (I’ve cleaned up the punctuation a bit because Papa Jeff doesn’t seem to be a fan of capital letters):

gently caress you, Kris Holt. Don't muck with somebody's formatting because it offends your sensibilities.

From a skim of Kaplan's posts on reddit it looks like he's right about Kaplan generally eschewing capitalization, though, so I'm not sure if anything can be gleaned from the lack of it in his farewell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Golden Goat posted:

https://kotaku.com/riot-games-offers-resignation-bonuses-as-company-announ-1848348892
So Riot are offering 25% of annual salary, 3 months subsidized health benefits and other stuff if folks quit currently.

I'm not sure which way this will go. Like you're probably gonna get both folks who don't trust them to commit to change and folks upset Riot wants to change at all.
Oh, it'll work very well for Riot. Anybody who doesn't take the "please quit" money will then be told to shut up, you had your chance to bail, you must (both senses) like it here.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Golden Goat posted:

It’s been generally received as positive in the admittedly limited interactions I’ve had. But it has made this week a bit weird where every time you see someone for the first time the question of if they’re taking the option comes up.

That said, the shift in direction has been made very clear internally for a while, so most people have had time to process and think about how they fit with it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah it's from here: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/overwatch/23665015/new-leadership-for-overwatch

Which exudes amazing "i dont give a poo poo anymore" energy that belongs in a banme thread

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
When you have nothing to hide
https://twitter.com/KirstenGrind/status/1483093724745715712

Weedle
May 31, 2006

at this point i am extremely bewildered by the board continuing to back him. what about him specifically is so valuable to be worth this?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weedle posted:

at this point i am extremely bewildered by the board continuing to back him. what about him specifically is so valuable to be worth this?

Presumably they don't want to set a precedent.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Weedle posted:

He's their golf buddy. If corporations were actually as amorally money-hungry as capitalism wishes they were, they would've stamped out all the harassment a long time ago because that poo poo lowers productivity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

He's their golf buddy. If corporations were actually as amorally money-hungry as capitalism wishes they were, they would've stamped out all the harassment a long time ago because that poo poo lowers productivity.

yeah it's this, probably

you don't sell your friend out just because his company has a harassment problem, do you? It wasn't even his fault, it was all the execs beneath him! I know him personally and he seems like a great guy

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah it's this, probably

you don't sell your friend out just because his company has a harassment problem, do you? It wasn't even his fault, it was all the execs beneath him! I know him personally and he seems like a great guy

there's probably a fair bit of tit-for-tat going on too. If X board member protects Kotick at Activision, then Kotick will vote a certain way on another board that X board member is part of, or will help X board member get an in with some company or another.

There is a poo poo load of nepotism and politics that goes into being on a board for a major company in America.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s a hint as to why at the end of the article:

quote:

It also asked for more board independence and pointed out that Mr. Kelly and lead independent director Robert Morgado both have served in their roles for more than 20 years.

The board of directors has some dead weight that’s likely knowingly ignored the issues for years. They are more interested in keeping their positions than they are caring for the long term viability of AB.

That’s from a letter from an investor that’s also asking for an independent review by a law firm and for Kotick to go on a leave of absence.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Weedle posted:

Him having pedo evidence and reciepts on other members is my guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
BAK is also a tremendously profitable firm and it'd be no surprise at all to me if the thought process in shareholders' heads basically goes "this guy's making us tons of money, why would we fire him over some poo poo we don't care about?"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Moola posted:

Him having pedo evidence and reciepts on other members is my guess

Silly Moola, you can't speculate like that! We have to stick to cold hard facts like Bobby Kotick's contact information was in Epstein's little Black Book.

https://twitter.com/PMS_Jordan/status/1461100750285815814

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Silly Moola, you can't speculate like that!
knock it off with this poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
im not defending the evil CEO but this thread should only have facts and sources posted in it and not just shitposting about how the evil CEO is a pedophile imo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

im not defending the evil CEO but this thread should have facts and sources being posted in it and not shitposting speculation about the evil CEO being a pedophile imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that proves kotick was in that circle, nothing about the board. and regardless, the initial post did not contain said proof or any reference to it.

thus leading me back to my previous point: this thread should be deleted

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boby

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

:hai:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Endorph posted:

that proves kotick was in that circle, nothing about the board. and regardless, the initial post did not contain said proof or any reference to it.

You should consider contributing, and using the report function so Moola can handle things

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 18, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

im not defending the evil CEO but this thread should only have facts and sources posted in it and not just shitposting about how the evil CEO is a pedophile imo

Thank you...Someone had to say it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This thread is about games industry news. It is not Blizzwatch Part II. If what you want to do is shitpost about how the whole ABK board are definitely pedophiles or scream into the void about how mad you are about Blizzard, do it in Blizzwatch, not here.

I'm going to give this thread a rest for the night because I'm going to bed and this clearly isn't going to go anywhere good while I'm asleep.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Harrow posted:

This thread is about games industry news. It is not Blizzwatch Part II. If what you want to do is shitpost about how the whole ABK board are definitely pedophiles or scream into the void about how mad you are about Blizzard, do it in Blizzwatch, not here.

I'm going to give this thread a rest for the night because I'm going to bed and this clearly isn't going to go anywhere good while I'm asleep.

Small addition: please don't do it there either

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, two things.

First: the no shitposting rule is in effect. If you don't have anything substantive to say, don't post at all. It's okay to just read.

Second: I was honestly going to leave the thread closed for a while longer, but...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1483428774591053836

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Surely this means they're also inheriting the lawsuits, right?