Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Buff Hardback posted:

exactly this is what i meant

the tweet was super obviously disingenuously meant as a "ms won't let you use bitlocker without an MS account!!!!" snipe

i'd give atomicthumbs the benefit of the doubt, but it's a weird thing to get up in arms over. like, at best their issue is that it defaults to encrypting the volume even if it's storing the key in an accessible manner and they would just prefer that it didn't encrypt the volume in that case. of course, it does this because volume encryption is the default in windows 11, which is good, imo. and this specific scenario only comes up if you go out of your way to avoid the mechanisms that manage the recovery key for you

e: and if you do that, you can also just turn off bitlocker so the drive is unencrypted, if that's what you want

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doesn't the OPAL spec mandate that SSDs do FDE by default with a manufacturer-supplied key?

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Doesn't the OPAL spec mandate that SSDs do FDE by default with a manufacturer-supplied key?
I think that bitlocker stopped using that stuff because most disk companies were loving it up so bad?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs has just as much software security credibility as any other twitter furry

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
if you really care about drive encryption against more than a casual threat / so you can wipe the computer for resale, bitlocker+TPM without a PIN is not very useful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hed posted:

if you really care about drive encryption against more than a casual threat / so you can wipe the computer for resale, bitlocker+TPM without a PIN is not very useful

windows 11 requires tpm 2.0 now (windows 10, which the laptop in that article was using, would enable bitlocker on tpm 1.2 devices, and so didn't use secure communication). idk if they actually enforce the secure communication component to use bitlocker, but in theory they could/may and that particular attack won't work

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
thank you. I haven’t looked at that since windows 11 came out so now I’m curious if secure comms is mandatory or if the SPI bus is just one happy family

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

i've followed them for a while, their posting style reminds me strongly of the something awful dot com forums for some reason

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kesper North posted:

i've followed them for a while, their posting style reminds me strongly of the something awful dot com forums for some reason

idk if you're kidding but if not, atomicthumbs was a pretty prolific yosposter for a while till they got all vaguely twitter popular

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I think that bitlocker stopped using that stuff because most disk companies were loving it up so bad?
Sure, but let's not pretend bitlocker is perfect either - since bitlocker send traffic between the CPU and TPM over LPC/SPI/I2C busses in clear-text, both for TPM1.2 and 2.0.

Shame Boy posted:

idk if you're kidding but if not, atomicthumbs was a pretty prolific yosposter for a while till they got all vaguely twitter popular
I think they stopped posting after the Dear Richard thread?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

akadajet posted:

atomicthumbs has just as much software security credibility as any other twitter furry

atomicthumbs is real and my friend

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shame Boy posted:

i was absolutely not kidding at all and lmfao that figures

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think they stopped posting after the Dear Richard thread?

they showed up for the lowtax death thread and i asked em' what they were up to:

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm doing pretty good! mostly on Twitter because it lets me choose who i want to "hang out" with online. Also I turned into a queer

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just kicked the infosec team’s elevated accounts out of domain admin/global admin/okta superadmin/etc, they only get specifically delegated access for their role now. :unsmigghh:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shame Boy posted:

they showed up for the lowtax death thread and i asked em' what they were up to:

yeah, they're a good poster/twitter follow and I'm glad they're living their life in a way they feel comfortable

I've been reading this whole discussion with the fact that they sometimes rehab old machines for resale as part of their job in the back of my head. they work in electronics recycling, so I wouldn't be surprised if this came up trying to prep machines for purchasing in the shop and they wanted to get twitter feedback on if this made sense to anyone else

the place they're at sells affordable recycled computers to the local community, as well as some neat hard-to-find stuff since all sorts of equipments comes through

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kesper North posted:

i was absolutely not kidding at all and lmfao that figures

lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Ah, interesting.
I can understand finding new places to hang out online; from 1992 to 2009 I basically only hung out on IRC (while archiving SA using .mht files when they weren't closed) and while I'm still there now, I'm also active on SA and a bit on Twitter.

That being said, I suspect the way I use Twitter differs quite a bit from how most people do; I almost-exclusively browse it using tweetdeck, have retweets turned off for everyone I follow, disabled likes from showing up in any of the timelines, and keep my follower and following lists regularly maintained.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
there are still irc communities alive??

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

there are still irc communities alive??
There's still consistently ~200k people on IRC globally, it's been that way for a decade; there was a decline since it topped out at ~2 million back in the mid-2000s, but whoever's still around is likely to stick.

If it wasn't because of all the channel and nickname collisions, I think it's possible IRC could go back to being the global network it was before eris.berkeley.edu got juped because it allowed everyone who could compile an ircd to connect, which led to lots and lots of netsplits, and eventually led to the Eris-Free Network.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
irc can never be good unless you run a private invite only thing or charge people for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

irc can never be good unless you run a private invite only thing or charge people for it

and discourse seems to have solidly gotten that niche

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That being said, I suspect the way I use Twitter differs quite a bit from how most people do; I almost-exclusively browse it using tweetdeck, have retweets turned off for everyone I follow, disabled likes from showing up in any of the timelines, and keep my follower and following lists regularly maintained.

Twitter default timeline is bananas now. Not only do likes showup, but random tweets from people that people you follow follow! gently caress!!!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's probably a #yospos somewhere if you're truly desperate to go hang out with the people who got run out of yospos and are eternally bitter about it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Twitter default timeline is bananas now. Not only do likes showup, but random tweets from people that people you follow follow! gently caress!!!
Yeah, that sounds like an absolute trashfire.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jabor posted:

There's probably a #yospos somewhere if you're truly desperate to go hang out with the people who got run out of yospos and are eternally bitter about it.

i joined a yospos irc channel right after i started reading yospos and one of the first things i saw was somebody talking about how they got run out of the yosslack for being too racist. i mashed /part real hard

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

dude still actively posts here

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

If it wasn't because of all the channel and nickname collisions, I think it's possible IRC could go back to being the global network it was before eris.berkeley.edu got juped because it allowed everyone who could compile an ircd to connect, which led to lots and lots of netsplits, and eventually led to the Eris-Free Network.

lol is that seriously the backstory of efnet

hahaha

irc rules, but i didnt like the yospos channel either. i lasted maybe an hour. yospos isn't really a fit for chat at all

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

hahaha

irc rules, but i didnt like the yospos channel either. i lasted maybe an hour. yospos isn't really a fit for chat at all
That's more or less what I remember of it, it's been a little while.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the yospos irc channel is mostly people who use pepe memes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

something tells me no one there is actually a yosposter anymore

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Ah, interesting.
I can understand finding new places to hang out online; from 1992 to 2009 I basically only hung out on IRC (while archiving SA using .mht files when they weren't closed) and while I'm still there now, I'm also active on SA and a bit on Twitter.
This seems as good a time and place as any to ask: whatever happened to .mht? Firefox used to support it, and then stopped; now it seems like Chrome and its descendents can save .mhts but not open them. Did it open up too many security holes or something? It seems so simple and handy :(

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I don't know where to post this, but I have had a weird identity theft issue that is confusing me.

Basically, I got a bunch of emails from Wells Fargo within about a minute of each other, starting with "We have received your application for a new checking account", and then one with a code to enter into their website for validation, and then a "Your checking account has been successfully set up" email. And then a final email saying that the contact information had been updated (to an email address that is not mine). Two of the emails refer to me by my full name.

This obviously wasn't me.

So I call Wells Fargo (from their website, not from any link in the emails), and tell them this, and they put a block on the account.

First thing I do is change my email account password. Then I check on my credit card balances to make sure that there aren't any weird charges, and while I'm there, I check on my credit history, and it pops up that there are hits on the "dark web" for me from some data breach of some website a while ago, and it shows me my email address and a password that I use (not the password to the email account itself, but a password I use for a bunch of garbage sites I've signed up for over the years that don't have anything sensitive about me in them, which I guess used my email address as username or whatever).

But I'm confused about why they used my actual email address for setting up the account when they must have already found my social security number and other basic info. Why not just use their own email address so that I wouldn't even know about it? And how did they get the confirmation code from Wells Fargo from my email to complete the account setup? If they had actual access to my email account, why not delete the mails so that I would be completely unaware? Is it possible that they are forwarding all of my emails to another email address, and does changing my email account password stop this? It's a gmail account, and I've checked the settings for auto-forwarding, and there is nothing there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for your gmail the minimum breach recovery sequence here imo would be

1) change password on main gmail and recovery emails
2) terminate all signed in sessions via relevant security wizards
3) disable pop3 and imap support on main gmail, and recoveries if possible
4) deauthorise all applications connected to or authenticated via either involved account
5) enable 2fa for main gmail, and recoveries if possible
6) only re-enable disabled or disconnected stuff when you know what is it for

as for how they got your stuff, imo it’s either some funny authenticated application or wells fargo has poo poo protocols and someone just pretty please’d them over the phone, which would explain why they had to use a normal email instead of cumrocket69@pcgamer.com

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 18, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

less likely scenarios ive seen doing financial fraud prevention - remote access worm on your device, or (well, this one is actually much more likely but id imagine you’d know if this is the case) your household member trying to pull off a scheme with your credentials

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Tankakern posted:

hahaha

yospos irc was pretty unwelcoming. the discord is good you should join in on the fun. i get double the amount of funny computer memes thanks to it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

something tells me no one there is actually a yosposter anymore

eh, i'd assume hbag is on there

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Inferior Third Season posted:

I don't know where to post this, but I have had a weird identity theft issue that is confusing me.

Basically, I got a bunch of emails from Wells Fargo within about a minute of each other, starting with "We have received your application for a new checking account", and then one with a code to enter into their website for validation, and then a "Your checking account has been successfully set up" email. And then a final email saying that the contact information had been updated (to an email address that is not mine). Two of the emails refer to me by my full name.l.
hi. this is one of the first steps in what's known as True Name Fraud. that account and anything linked to it should be assumed to be compromised at this point. close it/them and get new ones.

I had this happen to me a couple years ago in a similar fashion.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for your gmail the minimum breach recovery sequence here imo would be

1) change password on main gmail and recovery emails
2) terminate all signed in sessions via relevant security wizards
3) disable pop3 and imap support on main gmail, and recoveries if possible
4) deauthorise all applications connected to or authenticated via either involved account
5) enable 2fa for main gmail, and recoveries if possible
6) only re-enable disabled or disconnected stuff when you know what is it for

as for how they got your stuff, imo it’s either some funny authenticated application or wells fargo has poo poo protocols and someone just pretty please’d them over the phone, which would explain why they had to use a normal email instead of cumrocket69@pcgamer.com
Thanks. I've signed out everywhere. I changed the recovery email (the one it had before was my university email, which I haven't used in 15 years). I disabled POP and IMAP. I had 2FA enabled already with SMS, but I added the Google Authenticator app. I removed access to all apps except Google Backup and Sync.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

akadajet posted:

dude still actively posts here

their most recent post on the forums was in the lowtax death thread, 3 months ago. before that they hadn't posted since April of last year, and they haven't posted in yospos since june 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

I had 2FA enabled already with SMS, but I added the Google Authenticator app.

sms is not an adequate 2fa measure, and you should explicitly disable it from being such wherever possible. there have been plenty of documented sms takeovers by random bandits vs random people in the states, this doesn’t require russian cia resources