Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
talk about target

i think it funny that in lots of places theres way more targets than there is walmarts

like for example ITT where i live there is three (3) targets within 3 (three) miles. they are all on the same road. 1 mile apart on the same road. im not kidding and then there's also like 4 or 5 others within 5 miles... i'm serious!!!! theres only two walmarts and theres actually 7 targets

anyway i guess post deals too cause they do got em sometimes

they had the LEGO Seinfeld set on sale for 57 bucks

that's a good deal, jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

target tried to come here to canada and bought up all the old Zellers properties and lasted less than two years lol

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Wal-Mart is a layer of Hell but all Target stores are designed like an alien, liminal space that makes you doubt reality is actually real.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my wife refuses to ever shop at target again because she called about some black friday deal on a car seat and talked to some dumbass kid on the phone who was like yeah we got it, no i can't hold it, yeah it's the one on sale and there was this awful loving storm in west jersey that year and so she makes this treacherous drive and then gets there and she finds the kid and he gets the car seat and it's a different SKU and they actually don't have the one she wants and no this one's not on sale and it's not the one she wants anyway so she goes into the parking lot and tries to gently caress up a cart but they're totally made out of fisher price plastic and you can't even dent them. but we would still piss at the one in jersey city if covid and murders didn't make taking the PATH so unappealing

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They charge like double price for alcohol but I still go there for alcohol because they're really close

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yaldabaoth posted:

Wal-Mart is a layer of Hell but all Target stores are designed like an alien, liminal space that makes you doubt reality is actually real.

of the 3 targets on the same road.. it's like okay get tthis... now it gets tricky

one of them... when u go up to it... u ENTER on the RIGHT and EXIT on the LEFT... and the groceries? are back and right. beef on it, pallio

so then but okay the next one... down the street anyway u enter on the LEFT and exit on RIGHT and the grociers are in the opposite corner.

i really can't see any way this isn't purposeful. this is on purpose

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sid Vicious posted:

target tried to come here to canada and bought up all the old Zellers properties and lasted less than two years lol

i was working for a vendor to target when that was happening and had to try onboard erp to their totally broken poo poo and they were sending two emails a day and it just looked like such a hosed up, doomed to begin with initiative that after a few months we just started ignoring any instructions having to do with target canada

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

precision posted:

they had the LEGO Seinfeld

huh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
also my ex and their highschool best friend were the first people i heard call it "tar-zhay" this was in like 1999 i think there's a good chance they started it. i'm so sorry

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Target Buyers are all really nice maniacs.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Yaldabaoth posted:

With the added odor of old popcorn.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

kntfkr posted:

i was working for a vendor to target when that was happening and had to try onboard erp to their totally broken poo poo and they were sending two emails a day and it just looked like such a hosed up, doomed to begin with initiative that after a few months we just started ignoring any instructions having to do with target canada

i only ever shopped at one once, i went on boxing day super early becUse they had a deal on PS4, it was like a hundred dollars off plus a 75 dollar target gift card, the lady rang me up and i was like hey can i get my gift card and she was like oh it was applied to this purchase and i was like oh okay, and i was wandering around aimlessly looking at the receipt and i was like this cant be right it was still like 373 and the receipt didnt say anything about the gift card so i must have looked lost because a manager walked over and asked if they could help me with anything and i explained and they were like oh yeah this isnt right so they bring me to a regular register and punch in my receipt number and they just like went white and they were like hey do you have some time to wait on this situation, and then they called the police, and it turns out the employee who rang me through had been loading every customer who bought a ps4s 75 bucks onto the same card and was planning on just taking it so i got to see her get arrested and they gave me a new gift card and to this day i hope everyone else got their gift card because drat 75 bucks is 75 bucks you know

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
target is alot better than walmart OP

the walmarts here in the city are swarmed with bullshit schemers and people asking for donations and the stores are filthy

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i stopped going to walmart because im like 95% sure they realiEzed i was regularly shoplifting >100 dollars of stuff every time lol

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

It was pretty cool to see that Target in Minnesota(?) get hosed up in the riots.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

my wife refuses to ever shop at target again because she called about some black friday deal on a car seat and talked to some dumbass kid on the phone who was like yeah we got it, no i can't hold it, yeah it's the one on sale and there was this awful loving storm in west jersey that year and so she makes this treacherous drive and then gets there and she finds the kid and he gets the car seat and it's a different SKU and they actually don't have the one she wants and no this one's not on sale and it's not the one she wants anyway so she goes into the parking lot and tries to gently caress up a cart but they're totally made out of fisher price plastic and you can't even dent them. but we would still piss at the one in jersey city if covid and murders didn't make taking the PATH so unappealing

Very relatable.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I don't like going to chain stores in general because they all subcontract night stocking to the lowest bidder and that job is so dire it shouldn't exist. Imagine getting browbeaten into picking up all your coworkers this week so that you can race each other stocking cans to see which one of you deserves to get more hours, no control over hours, you get a couple hour warning that tonight's your night, and probably never seeing the sun for half the year. That's why I order online where I can pretend there isn't something worse going on like slave labor foreign factories or no pee breaks or other as yet unknown dignity crushing things

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
target has good decorations for halloween and christmas and extra good the day after when they're 50-75% off. I got a corn cob ornament, and a bunch of these little ceramic pumpkins/skulls that my rats like to sleep inside of

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I buy a bunch of stuff (especially clothes) from Target and Kmart. They're good places for reasonably priced stuff.

This is in Australia tho, so there's 0 actual relation to the American chains.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I seen a Kmart Australia buyer eat drunken shrimp and it freaked me out. This Chinese woman just eating live shrimp after live shrimp.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I know a target near a Chicn'fila. Good noodles.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My Target completely rearranged the makeup/skincare section last year and I’m still pissed. They got rid of the aisles and now it’s this big open space with these circular displays that takes up twice as much room as before. Some of the displays are grouped by brand, others by product type. It is not organized in any particular or consistent way. If you want to find something specific you have to wander around the entire area and hope you didn’t miss it somewhere along the way.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sid Vicious posted:

They expanded too quickly. Walmart took their time in the late 80's and early 90's. Walmart purchased and converted Woolcos and ran with that for a while until they got distribution sorted out. Once they got a feel for things they started building big box stores and shut down/moved out of most of the Woolco/mall locations starting the dead mall trend up north. Not sure how many of the OG Woolco locations are still open today, besides the one at the big Square One Mall in Mississauga.

Target just went full ham, converted all the Zellers and then built all new locations to boot....

Target, I liked in the US, and was living briefly in Canada right before they shut down.

Target sucked in Canada.. they totally botched it...

I lived in Vancouver and St. John's and the times I went there I was super puzzled at why half the store was empty. They had store shelves and displays, but whole aisles empty. Like worse than Sears. It's like the trucks were no shows. It seemed like they over expanded and didn't get distribution worked out. A lot of Canadians looked at it and went... well there's Costco and Walmart, why do we need Target?

Canada is generally very monolithic with things compared to the US. You have dozens of major department stores/hundreds of different bank chains if not thousands, all sorts of different grocery chains, you got to Canada and you get 2-3 of each and that's it.

I found Target to have generally better stores than Walmart* except for groceries generally unless you got a True "Super Target" location. Toy and electronics sections are better stocked and maintained and offer more options I found and I get better quality "cheap" clothes there. That being said it still pulls the same labor manipulation bullshit like with Target with union-busting/etc.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 18, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

syntaxfunction posted:

I buy a bunch of stuff (especially clothes) from Target and Kmart. They're good places for reasonably priced stuff.

This is in Australia tho, so there's 0 actual relation to the American chains.

Their Goodfellow jeans and chinos are really good for $20 USD. Rest of the men’s clothing is meh but their woman’s section seems pretty popular with everyone I know.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Sid Vicious posted:

i stopped going to walmart because im like 95% sure they realiEzed i was regularly shoplifting >100 dollars of stuff every time lol

Shoplifting is bad, Sid.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Target is more expensive for things like groceries, lovely lamps, built-to-break furniture and personal care items, yeah, but if you're in "oh poo poo I forgot to do laundry, I need a polo or button down, also my belt looks worn as poo poo and I need them today" mode you're gonna get a better looking shirt and better fitting belt at Target than you are at Walmart.

Cyks posted:

Their Goodfellow jeans and chinos are really good for $20 USD. Rest of the men’s clothing is meh but their woman’s section seems pretty popular with everyone I know.

:yeah:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

precision posted:

talk about target

i think it funny that in lots of places theres way more targets than there is walmarts

like for example ITT where i live there is three (3) targets within 3 (three) miles. they are all on the same road. 1 mile apart on the same road. im not kidding and then there's also like 4 or 5 others within 5 miles... i'm serious!!!! theres only two walmarts and theres actually 7 targets

anyway i guess post deals too cause they do got em sometimes

they had the LEGO Seinfeld set on sale for 57 bucks

that's a good deal, jerry

No deal if there's no Puddy lego with an 8 Ball jacket

wizardofloneliness posted:

My Target completely rearranged the makeup/skincare section last year and I’m still pissed. They got rid of the aisles and now it’s this big open space with these circular displays that takes up twice as much room as before. Some of the displays are grouped by brand, others by product type. It is not organized in any particular or consistent way. If you want to find something specific you have to wander around the entire area and hope you didn’t miss it somewhere along the way.

This is a pink tax btw

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

drilldo squirt posted:

Shoplifting is bad, Sid.

Actually, shoplifting is good, especially at Walmart. They don't calibrate the bag scales, they just do the scanner scale where you weigh your fruit. Small items? Scan one bag two.

Apples with a UPC sticker? Scan one bag two.

Dog or cat food cans? Scan one bag two.

Snickers bars? Scan one bag two.

Bing bong Walmart does not give a poo poo.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

drilldo squirt posted:

Shoplifting is bad, Sid.

no way :dukedoge:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

drilldo squirt posted:

Shoplifting is bad, Sid.

theft from large and inherently exploitative corporations is not only good, it's morally justifiable

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If you're stealing from Target you're stealing from a boomer's 401K they've crashed the economy several times over to keep their hard earned gains afloat

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Don't shoplift from Target. They have a reputation for letting you steal poo poo over and over again until you hit the felony threshold, then they'll press charges. Just steal from Walmart dang. Scan one bag two.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Chief McHeath posted:

Don't shoplift from Target. They have a reputation for letting you steal poo poo over and over again until you hit the felony threshold, then they'll press charges. Just steal from Walmart dang. Scan one bag two.

oh cool target manufactures the permanenly unemployable maybe they need to be dealt with more seriously??

what the gently caress

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Someone who is good at computers should make a

SCAN ONE, BAG TWO

SHOPLIFTAZ

Gangtag TIA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
that oesn't sound very plausible to me. youre suggesting that target knows people are stealing, keeps records of them havng stoled, and waits until the records show they stole enough, and then... calls the cops...?

like... they'd have to employ a bunch of people at every stage of that... people to have eyes on all that data

im pretty sure thats an urban legend... or maybe for people who steal TVs? but like... i just really doubt the whole mechanism proposed here... i think they would just call the cops when they see u stealing or not... it seems like way too much work and employees to do anything complex like that

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

You can do it with canned veggies. Or bags of dry noodles. Probably bagged lettuce or salad mixes. Hell, you can probably get by with bags of beans and rice and stuff.

#SHOPLIFTAZ

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

precision posted:

that oesn't sound very plausible to me. youre suggesting that target knows people are stealing, keeps records of them havng stoled, and waits until the records show they stole enough, and then... calls the cops...?

like... they'd have to employ a bunch of people at every stage of that... people to have eyes on all that data

im pretty sure thats an urban legend... or maybe for people who steal TVs? but like... i just really doubt the whole mechanism proposed here... i think they would just call the cops when they see u stealing or not... it seems like way too much work and employees to do anything complex like that

I think I did their job screening thing once like 15 years ago and failed because I said I would NOT chase down shoplifting customers with a machete

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/878637810486226954/932136109536841769/video0_-_2020-10-11T220203.443.mp4

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Frankly most retail shopping is sad these days for me, so while Target is sad it actually is fairly average. It's crazy how different the demographics are where I live (There is a Target very near to a Wal-Mart). The Target is like 100% middle class white women while the Wal-Mart is just kind of a mixture of everybody else. Maybe it's because they don't sell Tobacco at Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

i only ever shopped at one once, i went on boxing day super early becUse they had a deal on PS4, it was like a hundred dollars off plus a 75 dollar target gift card, the lady rang me up and i was like hey can i get my gift card and she was like oh it was applied to this purchase and i was like oh okay, and i was wandering around aimlessly looking at the receipt and i was like this cant be right it was still like 373 and the receipt didnt say anything about the gift card so i must have looked lost because a manager walked over and asked if they could help me with anything and i explained and they were like oh yeah this isnt right so they bring me to a regular register and punch in my receipt number and they just like went white and they were like hey do you have some time to wait on this situation, and then they called the police, and it turns out the employee who rang me through had been loading every customer who bought a ps4s 75 bucks onto the same card and was planning on just taking it so i got to see her get arrested and they gave me a new gift card and to this day i hope everyone else got their gift card because drat 75 bucks is 75 bucks you know

this was a good story