Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rjmccall posted:

if you’re enrolled in MDM they can probably image your personal phone anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

susan b buffering posted:

focuses have an option to only show specific home screen pages

when we did a partial office before omicron I used that plus geofencing to toggle distracting apps and hide certain notifications

it's takes a bit of setup, but it's really nice and ease to tweak later. I have an automated one that hides notification bubbles and all but a few critical app notifications for evenings, too. really takes the encouragement off checking apps

it can syncs across devices, too, so off means off everywhere all at once

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah my bike mode only shows that screen and it rules.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I got a 2010 polycarbonate MacBook from an estate sale for $47. It won't charge and dies when I unplug it from the charger. The Coconut Battery program says it only has 86 cycles on the battery, but the battery status is "poor".

Reset the SMC stuff and all that to no avail. Should I just replace the battery? I guess it doesn't really matter since I bought it to have something to tinker with. Thing's fuckin mint, though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you should definitely stop trying to use that battery, whether you replace it or not

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I got a 2010 polycarbonate MacBook from an estate sale for $47. It won't charge and dies when I unplug it from the charger. The Coconut Battery program says it only has 86 cycles on the battery, but the battery status is "poor".

Reset the SMC stuff and all that to no avail. Should I just replace the battery? I guess it doesn't really matter since I bought it to have something to tinker with. Thing's fuckin mint, though.

if you want to use it off charger, yeah a battery swap should fix it. im not surprised it’s completely shot, at 86 cycles over 11+ years it probably lived on a charger the whole time (not great) and if they ever chucked it in a drawer and forgot about it then it probably did a deep discharge (really not great). if you never intend to use it on battery you don’t absolutely need to do the swap though (I have a titanium PowerBook in a similar situation so I just keep it plugged in all the time).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

didn’t ones from that era run at a lower clock speed without the battery?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

maybe if you removed it completely which i never said to do

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

carry on then posted:

maybe if you removed it completely which i never said to do

yeah it doesn’t necessarily matter

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FCKGW posted:

didn’t ones from that era run at a lower clock speed without the battery?

i think that's about the right era yeah. iirc it's that the ac adapter and bypass caps aren't specified to deal with worst case current demand spikes, so the machine needs a reasonably good battery to avoid random crashes at normal clock speeds

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
that's a lot of laptops. no one wants to ship a 100w charger instead of a 50w charger just to avoid occasionally draining the battery to 99%

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

did the macbooks ship with lower wattage bricks? it'd make sense, I suppose since they clocked them lower. maybe the core 2 duo switch got power down to something that'd run on a smaller brick, too. my 2006 rev. a (core duo) shipped with an 85w and exhibited that behavior. the brick was (for apple) large, maybe 50% larger than the poerbooks from the year prior?

i can't recall if undervolting and fiddling with clock allowed it to run above base without a battery, by the time it got to that point the gpu was getting tetchy and it hasn't been able to run for more than a few minutes without visual artifacting and crashing in years

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i remember my 2010 13-inch pro having a smaller brick than what the 15-inch models came with, yeah. Like 60 watts

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the old magsafe chargers came in 45w for the airs, 60w for the 13" mbps and 85w for the 15" and 17" mbps

the 2021 chargers are wild. the air is 30w and the 16" pro is 140w

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
apple's mdm is actually pretty restrictive, even when the phone is in supervised mode the user's privacy is really well protected.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

I just like loving around with my devices.(came from an s21u before the 13 pro) so visual stuff, tones, maybe a working 4chan browser. If not, whatever.
"i jailbreak my phone so i can more easily view CP and pro-trump memes"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
airport express arrived Saturday and I got it setup after a couple of tries. the PO didn't factory reset it so i had to do that and update the firmware.

bit of a pita on initial setup because I thought I could have it on Ethernet and use it directly as an AirPlay receiver, but doing that turns it into a router and it started renaming all my macs on the network lol. going wifi only gives the "join an existing network" option so now it's fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if you really want a good airplay receiver pis work great now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

piss works great now

always did

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

𝛑ss

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

paging nu-mbp havers itt, especially if anyone here also codes a lot in python or otherwise does ml. how's the experience now that hopefully dust has settled/honeymoon is over?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I do a lot of python but not ml. Only thing I've had difficulty with was compiling Pillow for python 2 (!) on arm. Everything else works beautifully. Ymmv with ml specific things

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cheers. ml is guaranteed to be rough, but also really stack dependent - and im switching gigs for a greenfield project in a domain i don’t have too much experience with

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and the hardware itself? any weird late warts people are finding out now, or finally a normal laptop for adult professionals

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nontechnical women and children, sorry

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

and the hardware itself? any weird late warts people are finding out now, or finally a normal laptop for adult professionals

it’s good, op. vastly better than any recent intel mbsp.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

at worst you might have to run stuff via rosetta rather than natively. docker/vms are basically the only things that don't work at all.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Podman and buildah work well for my container needfuls (admittedly not nearly as well as on Linux)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Plorkyeran posted:

at worst you might have to run stuff via rosetta rather than natively. docker/vms are basically the only things that don't work at all.

vms work, just not x86 ones. arm64 linux and windows run nicely tho and the windows x86 emulation is fine

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

docker has been totally fine for me. I do a bunch of local python web stuff. I think I needed to mess with a psycopg package to make it not build or something, but that was a one off thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wish you would make all your code not build

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

docker has been totally fine for me. I do a bunch of local python web stuff. I think I needed to mess with a psycopg package to make it not build or something, but that was a one off thing.

the main problem is that the vm has to be arm64 too and you can't use rosetta inside the vm, so you're reliant on anything you need inside the vm supporting arm64

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cheers for chiming in, folks

Granite Octopus posted:

psycopg2 is not trivial to compile on an x86 mac either, that's normal

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Plorkyeran posted:

the main problem is that the vm has to be arm64 too and you can't use rosetta inside the vm, so you're reliant on anything you need inside the vm supporting arm64

for Linux generally, that's not too bad. unless you have a very specific VM you can't port or software that isn't compiled getting it to run on arm isn't too bad.

now, windows on arm, that's another story.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just swapped the display on my macbook air. lmao @ mixing pentalobe and torx bits for a basic repair.

utter bastards

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

how does docker on m1 work then because you definitely can run amd64 images on it

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

how does docker on m1 work then because you definitely can run amd64 images on it

The arm64 Linux vm uses binfmt_misc to emulate it with qemu

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

that’s disgusting. I love it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

ah, like wine

Adbot