Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't play blizzard games, but bethesda poo poo has improved since microsoft bought them out. There have even been patches for the fallout games, at least back to new vegas. 76 is still meh, but at least it's playable and there's poo poo to do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A lot of it is about reputation. Bethesda blew the FO76 launch and so blatantly tried to rip people off that I won’t buy anything with their name on it for a long while.

I play some stuff they have on Gamepass. They just don’t get my money anymore.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 18, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
At this point are there any big independent video game companies left? Rockstar, maybe?

It feels like Microsoft has bought up half the industry in the last couple of years. I still think it's wild that Bethesda, Obsidian, and inXile are all just divisions of the same corporation now.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rockstar is just a label owned by Take 2, who lately have shown themselves to be arguably shittier and greedier than most of the others mentioned

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

A lot of it is about reputation. Bethesda blew the FO76 launch and so blatantly tried to rip people off that I won’t buy anything with their name on it for a long while.

I play some stuff they have on Gamepass. They just don’t get my money anymore.

Lol, yeah, I'm never preordering a game again thanks to the 76 rollout. It was so loving bad. I wasn't dumb enough to buy the canvas bag edition that they gave people vinyl bags for, that was hilarious.

But 76 is really decent now. I wish they'd being back Nuclear Winter. When they pulled NW, I went back to playing Warzone to play Plunder. And Warzone is pretty hosed up right now with crashes and lag on xbox.

Maybe microsoft will make Activision fix that janky poo poo.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
My wife, high school teacher, is wfh today and was just had on some dumb youtube video about developing their social/emotional skills that she's tasked with watching as she cooked herself breakfast. After that one video finished the autoplay turned on some loving Jordan Peterson video and the recommended videos were all him and Ben Shapiro. This is on her work laptop.

Never seen the youtube rightwing pipeline in action but that poo poo's crazy.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

piL posted:

Isn't whether this 'really means much' a verifiable claim via accident statistics?

In the context of the first half of that sentence, I highly doubt it. We're not talking about customarily expected traffic conditions, we're talking about someone driving at dragster speeds in the next lane over.

There has probably never been a 260mph rear-end accident on the Autobahn. We know it has been done at least once. Statistically, it is perfectly safe! :pseudo:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t imagine how Microsoft could be worse and I think will probably dramatically improve a lot of the awful parts of Activision. Phil Spencer has even gone on record criticizing them before. I also seem to recall Microsoft is actually pretty decent on privacy issues…at least according to someone here, granted when google is the competition it’s not hard to be better.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Forums current event: the Coupons & Deals subforum almost got its first confirmed kill in the gooniest possible way: via a SMOKIN' HOT DEAL on KFC-scented firelogs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Forums current event: the Coupons & Deals subforum almost got its first confirmed kill in the gooniest possible way: via a SMOKIN' HOT DEAL on KFC-scented firelogs.

:lmao:

Wow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol:

That is some peak goon poo poo right there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:lol:

That is some peak goon poo poo right there.

Right up there with the kid who gave himself heat stroke sleeping over his buttcoin miner.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Right up there with the kid who gave himself heat stroke sleeping over his buttcoin miner.

Was that the guy also doing dried fruit on his rig?

Also let’s not forget the walk across America guy…who got like a mile or two. Haha

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think dried fruit guy was a different person, mostly because he understood how heat works.

One of my favorite forum stories was iSuck's adventures in going AWOL.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think dried fruit guy was a different person, mostly because he understood how heat works.

One of my favorite forum stories was iSuck's adventures in going AWOL.

Never heard that one, what happened?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
iSuck decided to go AWOL (from the marines iirc) and hitchhiked down the California coast having a good time, not telling anyone he was military, or even the thread. Cue a few weeks later, he's driving a graffiti covered shitbox through Texas and gets hauled in for being AWOL. This was 2006~ or so. I don't recall how long he spent locked up for it.

It just sticks out in my mind. If you're going to go AWOL, maybe don't drive a rusty shitbox covered in spraypaint dicks through texas.

I wonder how he's doing these days.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

iSuck decided to go AWOL (from the marines iirc) and hitchhiked down the California coast having a good time, not telling anyone he was military, or even the thread. Cue a few weeks later, he's driving a graffiti covered shitbox through Texas and gets hauled in for being AWOL. This was 2006~ or so. I don't recall how long he spent locked up for it.

It just sticks out in my mind. If you're going to go AWOL, maybe don't drive a rusty shitbox covered in spraypaint dicks through texas.

I wonder how he's doing these days.

I'm happy it was covered with dicks at least. Would have seemed just wrong if it didn't.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It was a bunch of inflammatory poo poo a toddler would know not to drive into Texas.

He was still around a few years ago, I remember seeing him post elsewhere, still the same name and avatar. He just sticks in my mind like earlier SA stuff like p-p-powerbook.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Was that the guy also doing dried fruit on his rig?

Also let’s not forget the walk across America guy…who got like a mile or two. Haha

Dude walked for three days and didn't loving eat anything. When he tried coming up with a reason as to why he failed, he decided his clothes were too heavy.

Then he melted his BMW trying to drive across Death Valley in the summer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNally posted:

Dude walked for three days and didn't loving eat anything. When he tried coming up with a reason as to why he failed, he decided his clothes were too heavy.

Man I didn’t even realize that he made a sequel attempt. :catdrugs:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Man I didn’t even realize that he made a sequel attempt. :catdrugs:

Eventually he even made it to Florida to work with his dads business... As a stump puller

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

McNally posted:

Was that the same person? I thought the 'walk across america' guy used some kind of baby stroller as a transporter and it broke like a couple hours into Muir woods or something and they just gave up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

RFC2324 posted:

Eventually he even made it to Florida to work with his dads business... As a stump puller

I mean… you got one objective so that’s good.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

I’d say Florida and him deserve each other.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The people here in Seattle that I talk to that work for Microsoft all seem to enjoy working there, especially the ones in the video game development side. They at least seem to be better than their competition when it comes to how they treat their folks.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I've already had three fits of uncontrolled giggling looking at that, holy gently caress

Even not knowing the actual smell, that person is going to have pavlovian panic responses to the smell of fried chicken and it's going to be weird

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustang posted:

The people here in Seattle that I talk to that work for Microsoft all seem to enjoy working there, especially the ones in the video game development side. They at least seem to be better than their competition when it comes to how they treat their folks.

I was wondering if that was the case, because it jives with what I’ve heard, well besides an ex co worker who had a bad time at bungie…but I’m not sure who is really at fault in that case, even though he is a good guy on a personal level. I’ve also heard that in the admittedly you don’t need to try hard field of having some form corporate ethics…they’re not bad at all.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That Works posted:

Was that the same person? I thought the 'walk across america' guy used some kind of baby stroller as a transporter and it broke like a couple hours into Muir woods or something and they just gave up.

No, it's the same guy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post445585073

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: BIDEN'S FREE COVID TESTS, SIGN UP Y'ALL :siren:

https://www.covidtests.gov/

It's possible the site isn't supposed to be up yet, as it's not loading on mobile, but it's fine on my computer. Already signed up all of my family and such.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

It's possible the site isn't supposed to be up yet, as it's not loading on mobile, but it's fine on my computer. Already signed up all of my family and such.

I'm not supposed to test for another 84 days.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arc Light posted:

I think Godholio was referring to wearing the flag on USAF flight suits (left sleeve) as opposed to the rest of us plebs who wear it on the right sleeve of our OCPs.

OCPs they wear it according to the local guidance. Here it's still on the left, if they wear it at all which I've only seen one or two doing.

I think it's generally tacky to wear at all if you're CONUS anyway, and at most overseas locations.

Edit: Actually there's an excellent chance I haven't seen any of them wearing a flag patch since prior to that guidance update over a year ago. They used to wear it on the left like flight suits, but I likely won't cross paths with any of them for another 4 months or so.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 18, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Good looking out!

I've been avoiding contact with the world, so haven't bought any tests (LOL, like there are any to buy in my area...). This will help the wife and I have a little more piece of mind.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ordered mine to see if the weed and JJ are still doing their job. If I've had covid, I didn't notice it at all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not supposed to test for another 84 days.

Order them anyways! Supposedly they're being adjusted to have an 18-month shelf life. And that's a good excuse to post this semi-new development:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1483445587446018048

Rapid PCR (molecular): your best way of finding an early infection (standard PCRs are too slow)
Standard PCR: your best way of figuring out if you have it (but will pop positive for weeks/months after you have it)
Rapid Antigen (at-home): your best way of figuring out if you're still contagious

ASAPI posted:

Good looking out!

I've been avoiding contact with the world, so haven't bought any tests (LOL, like there are any to buy in my area...). This will help the wife and I have a little more piece of mind.

Potential alternative link: https://special.usps.com/testkits

These probably won't arrive until February, but hey, they're free and 4-per-household, so why not? The CVS website had some FlowFlex Antigen tests in stock (somehow) but the shipping timeframe was like "lol we'll let you know"

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

Talk slow and use small words when answering this question: Where do you click to order tests? All I see is “Test orders begin January 19th” with no links to ordering.

I am dumb, please keep that in mind.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Thanks! Just signed up our house and passed it along to my family.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Big downside of the antigen tests is that they're only useful a few days after symptoms develop. So the verbiage of "still contagious" is really good. But it won't tell you if you've got covid or the local crud after a day or two.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Talk slow and use small words when answering this question: Where do you click to order tests? All I see is “Test orders begin January 19th” with no links to ordering.

I am dumb, please keep that in mind.

Just go to https://special.usps.com/testkits instead. The covidtests.gov website is borked.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dum Cumpster posted:

My wife, high school teacher, is wfh today and was just had on some dumb youtube video about developing their social/emotional skills that she's tasked with watching as she cooked herself breakfast. After that one video finished the autoplay turned on some loving Jordan Peterson video and the recommended videos were all him and Ben Shapiro. This is on her work laptop.

Never seen the youtube rightwing pipeline in action but that poo poo's crazy.

I've had to try to keep family members away from that transphobic poo poo head Jorp because of this bullshit. It's so god drat insidious. If I wasn't right loving there when it happened it could have been the first step to being one more fascist fuckstick at Jan 6-2 Coup Boogaloo. And it's almost certainly happening anyway when I'm not, on top of that poo poo being presented as innocuous "just asking questions(about whether those people have a right to life)" poo poo that makes me look like I'm over reacting when I say they're all hate-filled poo poo bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

That Works posted:

US driving is annoying because most people still don't realize cruise control exists.

I drive with it as much as I can. Typically with CC on I'll start to overtake someone and move to the L lane, then as soon as I get nearly even with them they begin to speed up now causing a roadblock. I keep at the CC speed but now am being tailgated by someone else wanting to pass us both. R lane driver usually eventually slows back down and I can pass or they just floor it and I change lanes only to attempt to overtake them again a few minutes later when they slow down again, in which case repeat the whole process.

This interaction is why I only use cruise control when Im not passing. I'll speed up to 10/15mph over the limit to pass someone if it means minimizing the amount of time we are riding perpendicular to one another. After passing I'll slow back down and change lanes but gently caress that process of very gradually getting neck and neck with some idiot who is texting / eating / yelling at their children while driving 70mph