Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Welcoming the Incredible Teams and Legendary Franchises of Activision Blizzard to Microsoft Gaming

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
call of duty now with skype and office 365

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
call of duty: office politics

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wow with teams integration

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Microsoft BOBby Kotick

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jim Raynor voice: bing up your rear end

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lmao

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Put Clippy in Diablo 4.

Doom + Diablo loot shooter incoming.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Microsoft World of Warcraft for Workgroups Windows Edition

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kotick is staying on lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
at least it will make a lot of gamers really angry

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

kotick is staying on lol

maybe they will give him paul allen's old sex dungeon

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Captain Foo posted:

kotick is staying on lol

Black book people stick together after all.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ms had to acquire blizzard to obtain their groundbreaking work on sexual harassment

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Jim Raynor voice: bing up your rear end

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

bump_fn posted:

at least it will make a lot of gamers really angry

"Oh no the super generic shooting man simulator is going to be Xbox exclusive how can Sony ever come back from that gently caress Microsoft" - gamers, probably

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

companies like Microsoft making "big bets on the metaverse" feels like reaching the end of something as a society

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

ms had to acquire blizzard to obtain their groundbreaking work on sexual harassment

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

companies like Microsoft making "big bets on the metaverse" feels like reaching the end of something as a society

i really think this is entirely nonsense, they're buying game pass into the netflix of gaming, they won't actually do anything other than get day-1-on-pass and some exclusives out of this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this would have been cool if theyd done it years ago before everyone from the starcraft team left

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pulcinella posted:

Put Clippy in Diablo 4.

Doom + Diablo loot shooter incoming.

cow clippy level confirmed

Shaggar posted:

this would have been cool if theyd done it years ago before everyone from the starcraft team left

and maybe when wow was still popular

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

and maybe when wow was still popular

i know a few people who got back into wow over the past couple years and every single one plays 'wow classic', now i'm not sure whatever that is but it sounds like they hosed that game up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

couldn't have gotten it on the cheap then though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gamepass gonna get better

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

gamepass gonna get better

I think we're getting to the point where gamepass is going to pivot to getting worse

remember when netflix was 8 dollars and had marvel movies? now it's $20 and mostly true crime podcasts with pictures

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

I think we're getting to the point where gamepass is going to pivot to getting worse

remember when netflix was 8 dollars and had marvel movies? now it's $20 and mostly true crime podcasts with pictures

yeah, i am enjoying it a lot, but very much already expecting that turn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think the cod franchise is the big thing they're looking for and blizzard is kind of an afterthought in the purchase. theres probably some decent tech in there, but i think blizzard has successfully killed all their IP

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i know a few people who got back into wow over the past couple years and every single one plays 'wow classic', now i'm not sure whatever that is but it sounds like they hosed that game up

a coworker got a few of us to try it when they launched classic; it was a from-launch version, no expansions or patches

he super burnt out on it and nobody stuck for more than the first month

it read like blizzard was desperate for numbers and did a nostalgia server, but they forgot original wow was an even worse grind lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

this is cause netflix owns very little content worth watching. theres not really a risk of Doom disappearing from game pass cause microsoft owns Doom.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't know what a metaverse is, and i don't think satya or mark do either, but they definitely know what an in-app purchase is

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jonny 290 posted:

WoW is a loving dumpster fire

i used to play a lot, did heroic raids, working from home gave me even more unlimited time and the latest expansion is pure dreck - man behind the curtain fully exposed, no attempts to cover the blatant time gating of poo poo. it's been like this for a while but they had a decent gameplay loop to cover it up.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't know what a metaverse is, and i don't think satya or mark do either, but they definitely know what an in-app purchase is

and they *definitively* know what recurring subscription revenue is. kind of gives me hope for game pass continuing to be great actually, because o365 is the microsoft crown jewels and remains extremely competitively priced at every tier.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

also netflix has so much content you can't just say "all bad"

it's just like any studio now, a lot of duds, some amazing shows shine and etc etc

its worth the money

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shaggar posted:

this is cause netflix owns very little content worth watching. theres not really a risk of Doom disappearing from game pass cause microsoft owns Doom.

this and a catalog with a shitload of exclusives for their next gen console

they can also keep doing what blizzard is going and releasing remasters or reboots of old successful games or franchises, even those like wow that are trash fires at the moment

it's unfortunately always less risky for AAA game companies to reheat an old franchise than to actually make something new, plus it's what players want anyway. You hardly hear players say "when is <company> going to make something new" but rather "when is company making <sequel of existing game>"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

its second life but instead of a fairly mature app that actually exists its nothing but promises and dreams so it really gets the investors horned up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't know what a metaverse is, and i don't think satya or mark do either

basically some deranged executives sincerely think that people are going to strap on vr goggles to attend virtual meetings or work in a virtual office

yes, it's all very stupid, but we live in stupid hellworld so people are hurling money at anything metaverse related. because they are stupid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they think they're gonna be able to get 15% haircuts on nft facebook emojis in VRchat or whatever

we're building web 3.0 on the back of rare pepes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zlodo posted:

this and a catalog with a shitload of exclusives for their next gen console

they can also keep doing what blizzard is going and releasing remasters or reboots of old successful games or franchises, even those like wow that are trash fires at the moment

it's unfortunately always less risky for AAA game companies to reheat an old franchise than to actually make something new, plus it's what players want anyway. You hardly hear players say "when is <company> going to make something new" but rather "when is company making <sequel of existing game>"

as a sustainable service it could work. if you can keep enough people subscribed for the annual AAA sequels then you have breathing room to bring on smaller games. i think the trick is having enough content for when people get bored of the big AAA game so they dont unsub. the content they have now is some of the best stuff from the last 10 years, but a bunch of people ahve already played it on other platforms. if you havent though, game pass is incredible

netflix is hosed in this regard. you watch the 2 or 3 things you want and then unsub and you're done. they have nothing to retain viewers, especially after their stated policy of cancelling that show you liked after 2 seasons.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

game pass might stick better than netflix really, because in addition to the bigger games i am making my way through i'd also have to buy slay the spire somewhere else to take a month off, which means it'd have to be a couple of months off to even break even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

especially after their stated policy of cancelling that show you liked after 2 seasons.

thats a good policy though, otherwise the series turns into that series you liked in the early seasons that became really mediocre later