Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
while I'm forcing this dead thread to repatriate, what's the difference between the silver and gold equipment (skeleton, gloves, armor)? The gloves in particular seem to like they're strictly inferior compared to the new option for Sam's hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

They look baller, dude

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

while I'm forcing this dead thread to repatriate, what's the difference between the silver and gold equipment (skeleton, gloves, armor)? The gloves in particular seem to like they're strictly inferior compared to the new option for Sam's hands.

In the base game the gold gear is usually in between levels 2 and 3 of the Bridges-blueprint stuff but depending on when you advance a shelter that may be better than what you have access to at that time.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Midjack posted:

In the base game the gold gear is usually in between levels 2 and 3 of the Bridges-blueprint stuff but depending on when you advance a shelter that may be better than what you have access to at that time.

On PS5 there's leveled silver and gold versions of the armor plates and exoskeletons

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

On PS5 there's leveled silver and gold versions of the armor plates and exoskeletons

Welp, never mind then!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Midjack posted:

Welp, never mind then!

I mean thanks for trying to help anyway, no one else was responding. Likers get liked :)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I mean thanks for trying to help anyway, no one else was responding. Likers get liked 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can you guys help me out a bit make sense of the first 3 hours?

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't want to get spoiled but I have no clue what is happening in Death Stranding I've restarted it for the third time. I'm at the map opening up.

So Sam has a teleporting girlfriend who wants him to take a job with her and his mom is the president. There's also a diehard man whose like the shadow president, then there's this fat guy who is dtf but Sam is scared of people. If you die it creates a void out and that's just a nuke. Sam has depression called DOOMS which let's him see Tar monsters but just the outline, but only if he hardlines into a fetus.

Sam also has a sister who... exists in multiple points of time and space. She is now the new president.

The beach is where you go when you die but if you have depression/DOOMS you don't die. Mood.

The baby has memories of an actor who I honestly can not put my finger on.

The world got nuked because people were dying but then reconnected by the internet. There's bad guys who have kidnapped Sam's sister but just one instance of her but if she dies bad things happen. The bad guys are terrorists who want to nuke the world.

Am I understanding this right?

This is what I got so far.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You just keep playing and it answers all the questions you might have. That's Mads Mikkelsen. Fragile not really his girlfriend...just another character.

I've been playing the Director's Cut and it seems okay...Die Hardman calls you a way lot more than I remember but maybe because I'm being a malingerer instead of going through the story. The additional content seems not that great but maybe they're saving the good stuff for 2.

night slime fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 27, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Not everyone is on the chiral network yet, your mission is to reconnect the continent from coast to coast by extending the network.

The voidout explosions are caused when a BT's core touches any live person.

In addition to being afflicted with DOOMS Sam is also a Repatriate so he can resurrect after he dies and his voidout craters are smaller than normal.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

The thing about Death Stranding is every point will eventually be explained in excruciating detail, but it's very back-loaded, so a lot of things are just going to be open questions until you get the over-explanation at the very end of the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I would describe my experience as going "what the gently caress is this poo poo" for the first 80% of the game, interspersed with "oh my loving god kojima" and then when it finished, my response was "... okay I guess that technically makes sense and I can't argue with it" combined with a lingering sense that hideo kojima had personally stuck a wet finger in my ear and swirled it around.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I did a four hour stream yesterday where I played in the dumbest way I could, meaning no support tools at all and as max a load as I could at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w1laYGf62w

It was torture and I loved it

I also learned a whole new level of the movement controls that I hadn't really explored before, which is what happens when you have a full stack and both hands full and can't use the triggers to stabilise. Give it a try!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Death Stranding is not a particularly tough game but every once in a while your truck full of cargo falls off the side of a mountain and it's great.

I wouldn't mind an optional super tough mode with all the difficulty modifiers (excluding combat) are cranked to the max.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly it seems like a game where it would be kind of difficult to make it "harder". Most of the stuff that goes wrong is very avoidable once you get used to the game, and making that stuff harder to avoid would just end up making it kind of frustrating because you'd just be falling over a lot for seemingly no reason.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly it seems like a game where it would be kind of difficult to make it "harder". Most of the stuff that goes wrong is very avoidable once you get used to the game, and making that stuff harder to avoid would just end up making it kind of frustrating because you'd just be falling over a lot for seemingly no reason.

Lol. Have you played Snowrunner?

gently caress efficiency, gimmie the tippy truck that sucks down 30L/min (8gal/min) of fuel.

The 10x10 crane truck? Back there, behind the rolling service station? Oh, that's there in case I fall over!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this game is basically snowrunner minus diff locks plus kojima & mikkelsen

as i write this i realize this isn't as much of a shitpost-y statement as i thought

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The difficulty only seemed to impact combat and timefall damaging stuff faster when I was playing on the hardest setting for the rankings trophy, traversal seemed to be the same as it ever was.

Maybe it does more and you can only really tell before you have all the toys, but I think that would just be more annoying than anything else.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Very hard also affects how fast your stamina depletes, which was a Real Problem on my stream.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about Death Stranding is every point will eventually be explained in excruciating detail, but it's very back-loaded, so a lot of things are just going to be open questions until you get the over-explanation at the very end of the game.

Yeah, besides a few small details you will absolutely be not lost. More like "Please stop explaining this to me Kojima". It has Metal Gear 4 style hour long cutscenes at one point.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The end is like 2+ hours long lol.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there only one save file on PS5? I was thinking of starting a new game but I'd hate to lose everything I've done on my old save.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
I kinda wish the game didn't have vehicles and was all navigating muddy hills, rivers,and small cliffs with gear. Or at least driving your equipment to the start of the hike and doing the rest on foot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Romes128 posted:

The end is like 2+ hours long lol.

Yeah it kicks rear end

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lucca Blight posted:

I kinda wish the game didn't have vehicles and was all navigating muddy hills, rivers,and small cliffs with gear. Or at least driving your equipment to the start of the hike and doing the rest on foot.

Play it like that if you want, there’s nothing in the main story path that needs anything more advanced than possibly the floating carrier for some really huge deliveries.

I didn’t even unlock trucks until I was in the post game because I forgot about the job from the junk dealer that would have gotten me them between play sessions.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

Is there only one save file on PS5? I was thinking of starting a new game but I'd hate to lose everything I've done on my old save.

I think you would just add a new user to the PS5

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

night slime posted:

I think you would just add a new user to the PS5

Ugh. When did save slots become a bad thing all of a sudden?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Could you not just back it up to a USB key or something

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Could you not just back it up to a USB key or something

Yeah that's the plan but it's a bit of a pain to have to juggle that stuff.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Just started this almost entirely blind on PS5. This game was made with all the drugs during development. I mean holy poo poo. That said, it's pretty great. I just got the mission to deliver to Lake Knot before I quit last night.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah that's the plan but it's a bit of a pain to have to juggle that stuff.

I think as a backup if you have PS+ you could just upload the save, then disable the save upload feature to prevent it from wiping it and then delete it locally. Just have to worry about re-enabling the upload feature or accidentally wiping a save.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

night slime posted:

I think as a backup if you have PS+ you could just upload the save, then disable the save upload feature to prevent it from wiping it and then delete it locally. Just have to worry about re-enabling the upload feature or accidentally wiping a save.

That's a valid suggestion but it wouldn't work with the amount of games I play. I just wish they had save slots like a million other games do. I'd like to play through the game again on PS5 but I've spent a good 150 hours on my current save from the PS4 version. USB is the only way to go I guess.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You can go through and disable the auto-sync for individual games, instead of all or none

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

night slime posted:

You can go through and disable the auto-sync for individual games, instead of all or none

Oh, I had no idea. Even so, physical backup seems like a better solution for this whole mess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Talking of overwriting old saves, I've just started a new game and a few hours in I'm getting likes for people using my zip lines :thunk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Talking of overwriting old saves, I've just started a new game and a few hours in I'm getting likes for people using my zip lines :thunk:

What's spookier is getting Likes from yourself of a long-deleted save

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Dunno how the mp works but I've been heavily contributing materials to roads from lake knot to South lake knot. Don't think I can build any further without using qpid at South lake knot city. Really satisfying being able to truck almost all the way to South lake knot!

PC by the way. I'm assuming there's an aspect of server clustering and deterioration when you aren't near as the first time I played the game there were a few roads already built that weren't this time. Almost back up to where I was when I first played.

Enjoying a lot since I found out container damage does not equal cargo damage. Use to obsessively use repair spray thinking container damage impacted deliveries! Now I know it just means more cargo damage if you do gently caress up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm playing through this, still on chapter 2. About to head to Lake Knot. I hosed around and got some places up to 5 stars. I've been told I will kinda regret putting this extra effort in before chapter 3, but really the wind farm is the only location being stubborn with its stars.

Almost lost the reverse trike in that BT zone right before port knot city, but I was able to retrieve with some doing.

I don't know why I like this game but I absolutely do.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shinjobi posted:

I'm playing through this, still on chapter 2. About to head to Lake Knot. I hosed around and got some places up to 5 stars. I've been told I will kinda regret putting this extra effort in before chapter 3, but really the wind farm is the only location being stubborn with its stars.

You'll be moving to a new map soon and won't get much benefit from 5-starring those places for most of the game, which I imagine is what whoever told you that meant. But if you had fun doing it who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah that recommendation is mostly about the new toys you start getting in the main map, starting with chapter 3 - robo legs, trucks, highways, and so forth - probably more if you have the director's cut, idk, haven't paid enough attention

but not a one of those is needed on the first map, so gently caress it if you're having fun you do you (and i can understand the temptation)

gently caress the foot route to the wind farm tho i definitely did that 5* postgame :mad: