Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
play it in VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

haveblue posted:

play it in VR

ooh, that sounds fun… I’ll look it up when I acquire a vr setup. (when video cards are way more available, and/or psvr2 comes out)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

watched this live and it blew my mind

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

played Tetris Effect, and it was good… like Lumines and regular Tetris had a baby. I’m not sure I want to play it any more now that I beat “journey” mode.

yeah, perfect game pass game in that regard. i beat journey mode over two days, had an excellent time, then never touched it again.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1483435442926202882

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

logging into my daily standup on warcraft 365 for business

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

basically this is how you should do it.

once you beat the first map, you should have a garage of vehicles that you can use most of the way on all the non-DLC maps (some of them are pretty rough).

early on you just want to level up so you can unlock better tires and transmissions

by first map you mean all of michigan? i’ve still yet to get an “off-road” truck, i don’t think there’s one in the first area on the map.

but yeah i need better heavy truck tires. i almost lost a semi-trailer in the mud but managed to flip it, pull it upside down back to the garage, then flip it upright with a crane.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

You can buy the kawaii sylvanas outfit for your character in VR teams.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
call of pagerduty

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

call of pagerduty

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

haveblue posted:

call of pagerduty

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eeyo posted:

by first map you mean all of michigan? i’ve still yet to get an “off-road” truck, i don’t think there’s one in the first area on the map.

but yeah i need better heavy truck tires. i almost lost a semi-trailer in the mud but managed to flip it, pull it upside down back to the garage, then flip it upright with a crane.

you can pop over to Russia and buy an azov for cheap but it is basically god mode in Michigan

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

call of pagerduty

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

bro how did you schedule two overlapping raids

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

you wont get a good offroad map for a bit, but yeah, mostly just stick around in michigan. you can try to do it all, but at least get one of the major steps complete. feel free to poke around alaska too, i guess, but it's really tough if you haven't unlocked chain tires.

to me it felt like once i was able to clear out michigan, i was able to basically go where i wanted.

go out and get stuck in the mud

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lmao

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m struggling to think of an activision/blizzard game that I actually want to play

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

exactly. people upset about this are the same types who get upset at disney "ruining" star wars

buddy. it was ruined long before any of this happened

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

overwatch 2 was really exciting until they made it known that it’s now 5v5 with only one tank

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

overwatch 2 was really exciting until they made it known that it’s now 5v5 with only one tank

even fewer people are going to want to play tank if everything and everyone is relying on them

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

even fewer people are going to want to play tank if everything and everyone is relying on them

yeah exactly

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That's an easy fix. Instead of designing fun and interesting characters you just force everyone to do the 2/2/2 combination.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Fool posted:

I’m struggling to think of an activision/blizzard game that I actually want to play

I wouldn't mind playing diablo 2 again but that's extremely low on my to play totem pole. I wonder how blizzard/activision games will fit into gamepass.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

all new games at blizz at this point are vaporware - they haven't got poo poo to show

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it's insane to me that microsoft actually thought blizz IP was worth 70b compared to Bethesda which sold for like 7b and at the very least still pumps out skyrim ports instead of sexual predators

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

like i get that ms is real mad that outside of NA and brazil, nobody plays on Xbox, but buying a PC gaming publisher isnt going to help that nor attract people to buy an xbox to finally try WOW after 20 years

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it's insane to me that microsoft actually thought blizz IP was worth 70b compared to Bethesda which sold for like 7b and at the very least still pumps out skyrim ports instead of sexual predators

I doubt it had much to do with Blizzard, they were after COD and mobile profits

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I doubt it had much to do with Blizzard, they were after COD and mobile profits

i absolutely forgot COD was related to this

ok i guess it makes a bit more sense

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

candy crush makes insane money

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

isn't starcraft paraphernalia also still a significant fraction of the korean GDP or something

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That's an easy fix. Instead of designing fun and interesting characters you just force everyone to do the 2/2/2 combination.

i think forcing 2/2/2 made the game way better in terms of balance and consistency. i think the root cause of the whole problem is that blizzard doesn't do anything to teach, communicate, or reward good tanking so nobody wants to do it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think forcing 2/2/2 made the game way better in terms of balance and consistency. i think the root cause of the whole problem is that blizzard doesn't do anything to teach, communicate, or reward good tanking so nobody wants to do it

that and they had trouble balancing the amount of damage a tank should be able to do with how much health/barrier a tank can have/generate

Barrierwatch wasn’t fun, everyone seems to enjoy dive and I personally absolutely loved 3/2/1, but dps main players didn’t like it and balancing dps characters to be able to be a significant threat to 3 tanks worth of health, barriers, and cc proved too challenging

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Barrierwatch wasn’t fun, everyone seems to enjoy dive and I personally absolutely loved 3/2/1, but dps main players didn’t like it and balancing dps characters to be able to be a significant threat to 3 tanks worth of health, barriers, and cc proved too challenging

you're right that dive is better than barrierwatch, but i think if good tanking was rewarded more people would want to learn and play and then you could more easily pull off either 5v5 with one tank or my favorite, 1 tank, 3 dps, 2 support. it solves the problem of everyone wanting to play dps by letting more people play dps, but maybe i'm underthinking it. is goats the one that was 3 tanks and 3 supports? that feels like a different game and is the wrong way to go in my opinion

i think forcing a fixed team composition and the barrier nerf a while back have been the two biggest gameplay improvements since the game launched

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you're right that dive is better than barrierwatch, but i think if good tanking was rewarded more people would want to learn and play and then you could more easily pull off either 5v5 with one tank or my favorite, 1 tank, 3 dps, 2 support. it solves the problem of everyone wanting to play dps by letting more people play dps, but maybe i'm underthinking it. is goats the one that was 3 tanks and 3 supports? that feels like a different game and is the wrong way to go in my opinion

i think forcing a fixed team composition and the barrier nerf a while back have been the two biggest gameplay improvements since the game launched

3/3 was what was tried before GOATS settled out, but then goats was 3 tank 2 heal 1 dps (to handle the flankers murking your heals)

2/2/2 works fine since it supports dive still, but the bigger issue they have is introducing new heroes with CC gimmicks instead of things like verticality or interesting guns.

they also struggled with balancing in that not all heroes were viable in a given meta, which at higher ranks meant if you didn’t slam pick Ana fast enough and you hate playing Lucio, you basically threw the game unless your skill in a different healer (bap/mercy/moira) was so much higher that you would be in a higher rank if not for the meta

metas are cool in that they help the game not be stale, but you can’t sell a game with a bunch of cool and different heroes then expect people to be happy about not being able to play them without throwing the game or pissing your team off for what they think will be a throw. I think in OWL they tried hero pools to keep matches interesting, but the player base had a collective aneurysm because they put all their eggs in one basket in one hero and if they can’t play that one hero they aren’t playing at all

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 18, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

there’s something to be said about encouraging good tanking, but being honest tanking is a concept that is learned or understood as a game sense kind of thing more so than a game mechanic. I can’t really think of a way Blizz could be encourage players to “make space” or not press w so hard when moving the team versus encouraging and rewarding players who play for the K:D

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

overwatch is probably one of my favourite games of all time and definitely has the most hours I’ve ever put into a game before, but half the fun was playing new maps and having new heroes and content with my five friends, and now one of us isn’t going to be able to play with the rest of the gang (probably me since I can’t usually play until around midnight est and only a day or two a week), and adding things like skill decay made players like me who wanted competition and teamwork when they were actually able to play turn off of it in favour of milsim games like Insurgency or Squad since, while there isn’t a rank system in either game, the feeling of success and teamwork is at the core of those games like Overwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they also struggled with balancing in that not all heroes were viable in a given meta, which at higher ranks meant if you didn’t slam pick Ana fast enough and you hate playing Lucio, you basically threw the game unless your skill in a different healer (bap/mercy/moira) was so much higher that you would be in a higher rank if not for the meta

metas are cool in that they help the game not be stale, but you can’t sell a game with a bunch of cool and different heroes then expect people to be happy about not being able to play them without throwing the game or pissing your team off for what they think will be a throw. I think in OWL they tried hero pools to keep matches interesting, but the player base had a collective aneurysm because they put all their eggs in one basket in one hero and if they can’t play that one hero they aren’t playing at all

i don't play ranked so i might not be in the target market. i've never once been aware of a current character's meta status, so i don't really feel that limitation, and part of why i like overwatch is the characters themselves. overwatch is one of my favorite games too and i while i like the strategy and teamwork of territory control, i like "playing" the game itself. i like using particular abilities (e.g. putting a zarya bubble on an ulting genji or using it to save a teammate in the nick of time is very satisfying) and i like the different elements that make it feel like so many different games (e.g. if your character has shields, you can hide to recover hp like halo, if not you can find a health pack like it's 1993)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

there’s something to be said about encouraging good tanking, but being honest tanking is a concept that is learned or understood as a game sense kind of thing more so than a game mechanic. I can’t really think of a way Blizz could be encourage players to “make space” or not press w so hard when moving the team versus encouraging and rewarding players who play for the K:D

i can't think of a great way either, but i'm not a AAA game designer at one of the most prestigious game studios in the world