Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My abusive father who loves football never taught me how the gently caress the game works but got mad when I didn't understand it. Then got more mad when I thought it was a nonsense game rooted in racism once I asked? Please Goons help me understand this game. I'm a long term Mt:G/HS player this should not be so loving opaque. I would love to know how it works and how to interpret the rules beyond "black men destroy their bodies in the service of their white overlords."

I am sure it has rules and regulations and I am sure I should be able to understand what poo poo like "first down and 10" means but this is all nonsense, right?

They may as well be playing racist Quidditch for all I can tell?

Help I want to understand please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
sports are racist.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

My abusive father who loves football never taught me how the gently caress the game works but got mad when I didn't understand it. Then got more mad when I thought it was a nonsense game rooted in racism once I asked? Please Goons help me understand this game. I'm a long term Mt:G/HS player this should not be so loving opaque. I would love to know how it works and how to interpret the rules beyond "black men destroy their bodies in the service of their white overlords."

I am sure it has rules and regulations and I am sure I should be able to understand what poo poo like "first down and 10" means but this is all nonsense, right?

They may as well be playing racist Quidditch for all I can tell?

Help I want to understand please.

no

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

football as a whole is not racist but I believe the football robot “cleatus” holds racist views

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

brain damage ever since the day i was born sports what they used to say i was on

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

first and ten is a metaphor how for no matter how much you achieve, capitalism will work against you and reset you to your previous state as if you've accomplished nothing at all.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The fat men hug other fat men, sometimes they hug a buff man. Hth

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The cowboys ran a QB draw with 14 seconds left and no time outs.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
apparantly crossing the line is a good thing

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

a field goal is a way for capitalists to exert power over their employees, by purposefully not giving their employees the tools they need to achieve and give them absurd targets to meet.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

quarter back is what happen if you hang up the payphone before it connects

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the only good thing about football is all the tight ends

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
AND DON'T FORGET THE COMMERCIALS!!!!!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

#TimesUpCleatus

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

first and ten is a metaphor how for no matter how much you achieve, capitalism will work against you and reset you to your previous state as if you've accomplished nothing at all.

Oh thanks I thought I was going for real insane, thanks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

a 'touchdown' is another term getting a sale

in this way, we see that no matter how many people of the team worked to get to the end, only one is credited with the win

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
haha they should call it hand egg if you ask me!!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gasmask posted:

haha they should call it hand egg if you ask me!!

explai n to me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone said handegg yet? or sportsball?

no? good. don't or you get whacked

edit gently caress

no more of that

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Go Riders!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hut Hut Penetrate that Open!
See your formation!
Got got your back
No mistaking that pass

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seriously though I'm surprised more nerds don't like football

It's a turn based RPG with stats and different classes and special moves and poo poo.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

The Bloop posted:

It's a turn based RPG with stats and different classes and special moves and poo poo.

American football is truly the Nethack of sports

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Montana casts screen pass for a gain of 5 yards.

Butkis plays BLITZ, and Montana fails on the saving throw.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

the people in the stadium you ask? well, they're wall street.

they quite literally bought a seat there, and cheer on as two corporations fight it out all for their sick entertainment.

they really have no investment on who wins or loses, you see, because they win either way

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Not only that but it's a weekly episodic with story lines, rivalries and things that culminate in season finales which can't be spoilered and happen in real time.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

someone explain hand egg please

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

Big Beef City posted:

Not only that but it's a weekly episodic with story lines, rivalries and things that culminate in season finales which can't be spoilered and happen in real time.

Downside: can't be binged

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sofokles posted:

Downside: can't be binged

i use google

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Here you go OP i hope this is helpful

BASIC RULES OF FOOTBALL

Football is played between two teams each made up of eleven players. (Sometime in junior competitions you will find 8 player teams).

Games comprise of at least one innings where each team will take turns in batting and fielding/bowling.

The fielding team will have a bowler bowl the ball to the batsman who tries to hit the ball with their bat.

The fielding team tries to get the batsmen out by…
-Hitting the wickets with the ball when bowling
-Catching a batsman’s shot on the full
-Hitting the batsman’s leg in front of the wicket (LBW)
-Or hitting the wickets before the batsmen can run to the other end of the pitch

The batmen try to score as many runs as possible before getting out by…
-Hitting the ball and running between the wickets and making it to the other end before the fielders can hit the wickets with the ball. Each time you run one full length of the pitch it equals 1 run.
-Hitting the ball to the boundary along the ground is 4 runs.
-Hitting the ball over the boundary on the full equals 6 runs.
-The fielding team must get 10 batsmen out before they can change over and start batting.
-The aim of the game is to score as many runs as possible before the fielding team takes 10 wickets. The team with the most runs wins.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
It's when I put my foot in your balls at high speed.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

There are these guys in striped shirts, and they loving suck. They are just the worst. If they ever start talking into their little microphones, just yell at your TV until they go away.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You think football is racist, yet you play Hearthstone? lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

football as a whole is not racist but I believe the football robot “cleatus” holds racist views

That's the fox robot right? I would belive it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sophy Wackles posted:

You think football is racist, yet you play Hearthstone? lol

Psh, HS racist? H'ok. H'okay smart guy, thrn tell me, exactly What race are the long/big nosed, money-loving goblins in the game supposed to be? I'd like to see you even try.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

This right here

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

sports ball ahahaha

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

please i dont understand hand egg

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Try playing madden fantasy team, you can spend lots of money on pictures of things to be better than other people. Plus it's a video game. Might make you understand it more better(er)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Thank you all for helping me understand this.