Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Streaming on HBO Max starting January 13th and every Thursday for 8 episodes, this is a spin off the pseudo reboot/sequel The Suicide Squad, usefully summarized in the first minutes of the first episode.

If you love bone crunching hyper violence, or lines and delivery that are both obscene and hilarious, this show is for you. The first three episodes are out, and its already displaying a level of cinematography and quality almost unseen for superhero TV shows so far.

But most of all, stay around for a revelatory performance from supposed meathead John Cena, who is easily turning the funniest performance so far this year.

Excited to see where this goes!

Takes No Damage posted:

OP not full of gifs of the dance intro, 2/10.

lol here you go

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I enjoyed the movie and thought the show would be an interesting, hopefully fun experience. Was blown away by how good it was, and especially how good Cena is in the lead role. I can't wait to see where it goes next, I love how weird it has already gotten in the first three episodes, and the supporting cast is a lot of fun too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OP not full of gifs of the dance intro, 2/10.

But yeah anybody that liked the The Suicide Squad movie get on this immediately.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, the show's opening is absolutely phenomenal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

The expressions on their faces absolutely kill me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Show is very good

https://i.imgur.com/OT2h8Jt.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/hxP4dWh.mp4

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Show good, intro greatest ever

https://youtu.be/_mrr3UNALww

Really like what they're setting up so far all the characters are pretty great also has that trademark james gunn touch and well I'm a massive fan of his work so this series was probably always going to be for me.

The Croc fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 19, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Confused that this isn't getting more attention, it's great. John Cena is a national treasure.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This and Doom Patrol are the best superhero shows ever.

And this show is off to a rocking start.

Absolutely amazing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

D-Pad posted:

Confused that this isn't getting more attention, it's great. John Cena is a national treasure.

The Suicide Squad didn't do well and I feel like I've seen 0 ads for this show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's only been one release. I've already talked to someone in the wild about the show. Give it time.

I just hope this isn't a limited series. I know Gunn is ungodly busy but this really feels like its his perfect playground, a dash of Troma, the hosed up side effects of Superhero-y, and comedy that can be built on characters given enough time to breathe and develop

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I was pretty shocked to learn that most of us have seen Vigilante before.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I liked the suicide squad, and the first thing I heard about this show was this thread, so yeah, they hosed the advertisements.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AmbientParadox posted:

I was pretty shocked to learn that most of us have seen Vigilante before.

There's two characters who have the name Vigilante in DC comics. One is a Punisher knockoff with a costume similar to the one we're seeing on this show (Adrian Chase), the other is a modern day guy in a cowboy costume (Greg Sanders)

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 20, 2022

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's two characters who have the name Vigilante in DC comics. One is a Punisher knockoff with a costume similar to the one we're seeing on this show (Adrian Chase), the other is a modern day guy in a cowboy costume (Greg Sanders)

Adrian Chase Vigilante has been onscreen before in Arrow:

But then Arrow had its own Suicide Squad too before DC yoinked the rights for sake of the movies.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

There's only been one release. I've already talked to someone in the wild about the show. Give it time.

I just hope this isn't a limited series. I know Gunn is ungodly busy but this really feels like its his perfect playground, a dash of Troma, the hosed up side effects of Superhero-y, and comedy that can be built on characters given enough time to breathe and develop

In one of the TSS bonus clips on HBOMax he said that he just Googled a list of the dumbest DC villains when deciding who to put in that movie, that's how Polka Dot Man got in there. I'm not super into comics so I'm constantly amused/amazed at what insane bullshit constitutes a superhero/villain once you get past the top dozen or so characters everyone's heard about.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm not super into comics so I'm constantly amused/amazed at what insane bullshit constitutes a superhero/villain once you get past the top dozen or so characters everyone's heard about.

I would give my actual soul to Bob Chapek if Stilt-man makes an appearance in a mainline MCU film :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Adrian Chase Vigilante has been onscreen before in Arrow:

But then Arrow had its own Suicide Squad too before DC yoinked the rights for sake of the movies.

Technically it was a complicated thing where Adrian Chase was around but he was Prometheus, not Vigilante. While Vigilante was a different person.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DarklyDreaming posted:

The cowboy version got referenced in the live action Stargirl show as well, in an olde timey photo of the Seven Soldiers of Victory superhero group

Also if people aren't familiar with the comicbook history of the Peacemaker character it got pretty fuckin' weird

quote:

Smith learns that his peace-through-violence efforts were the result of a serious mental illness brought on by the shame of having a Nazi death camp commandant for a father. He believes his father's spirit haunts him continually and criticizes his every move, even as he tries to live down his past.

Becoming a particularly deadly vigilante who would kill at the slightest notice, he begins to believe that the ghosts of the people he killed, or who were killed in his vicinity, are collected inside his helmet and can offer him advice and commentary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacemaker_(comics)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Technically it was a complicated thing where Adrian Chase was around but he was Prometheus, not Vigilante. While Vigilante was a different person.

That's true now that you bring it up. It is all tangled in my head at this point.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Arrow introduced Adrian Chase first, then Vigilante got introduced so that everybody would think "obviously Adrian Chase is Vigilante" and then surprise!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edward Mass posted:

Arrow introduced Adrian Chase first, then Vigilante got introduced so that everybody would think "obviously Adrian Chase is Vigilante" and then surprise!
Needs the appropriate music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIvvd0DA2M

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Takes No Damage posted:

In one of the TSS bonus clips on HBOMax he said that he just Googled a list of the dumbest DC villains when deciding who to put in that movie, that's how Polka Dot Man got in there. I'm not super into comics so I'm constantly amused/amazed at what insane bullshit constitutes a superhero/villain once you get past the top dozen or so characters everyone's heard about.

Ever since Arms-Fall-Off Boy showed up in Suicide Squad, I’ve really been pulling for Matter Eater Lad to be the next big thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

My mate's in LA right now and he said that all he sees are ads for this show.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Open Source Idiom posted:

My mate's in LA right now and he said that all he sees are ads for this show.

Also in LA, there's posters for this everywhere

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In the lead up to its release, I saw a ton of web ads for this so I think it depends on where and how you see ads. It did underperform at the box office, though I think the Delta wave of covid might have affected that as well as it being simultaneously released on HBOMax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The timing of Leona shooting Judomaster... That and manipualting Vigilante into trying to kill Peacemaker's dad. Maybe she's not as innocent and incompetent as she seems.

I love Vigilante.

lmao Peacemaker trying to get the butterfly high.

Good call to whoever said that Murn might be a rogue butterfly or whatever in the DC TV thread.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good call to whoever said that Murn might be a rogue butterfly or whatever in the DC TV thread.

Yeah, that was a good catch, although Murn's whole bit on displaying emotions was a big tip off in hindsight.

I'm was kinda hoping to learn what the butterflies actually were this episode, little disappointed that got sidetracked.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ever since Arms-Fall-Off Boy showed up in Suicide Squad, I’ve really been pulling for Matter Eater Lad to be the next big thing.

are you some kind of Time Wizard?

Goddam, what a good episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Freddie Stroma's so good in this show. I know it's just what actors are meant to do, but he's completely changed his physicality, and the poo poo he's doing with his voice, it's just so loving good.

I was concerned that it was another dude playing the character in the costume, rather than just for the stunts and stuff like you'd expect, but goddamn it actually seems like it's him. Just so loving good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't really care much for the new Suicide Squad. It felt like it should have been a movie I liked but I just didn't. Some piece of the puzzle was missing

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah this show's just a goddamn good time to watch. I'm sure it was planned and pitched as a limited series one-off, but if they can convince Gunn to keep coming back to do more I'd be all for it. I get the vibe that it's going to tell a solid and complete story by the end of it though, and not really leave much wiggle room to where further seasons would make sense. It'd probably be 3 years at best before Gunn could come back to do more of it, and I feel like that's too long of a wait for a show like this.

This is certainly the best work that I've seen Cena do. I heard someone point out that Gunn's a goddamn wizard at highlighting strengths and hiding weaknesses in the actors he works with, with Dave Bautista in the first GotG as the prime example of that (which is also the position that Dave's basically taken in interviews), so I feel like there's some of that at work here too. Then again who knows, maybe Peacemaker's going to get a full 7 minute super intense emotional monologue at some point and it'll turn out that Cena's got some proper acting chops now.

Vigilante's the secret sauce that's really making this show work well for me. He comes across the most like an over-the-top comic book character to me in the best way, and I wasn't expecting someone to give that vibe more than Peacemaker in this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn what a great episode, kind of crazy how much they packed into it, and the bit towards the end where Peacemaker remembers his brother dying was a real gutpunch.

There's an extended version of the duck scene after the credits that is fantastic where Peacemaker just goes off on the whole concept, well worth catching if you missed it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

great episode, initially it seemed like Vigilante would be too deadpooly but freddie stroma is absolutely killing it with the character

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think I've figured out why I'm liking this show a lot aside from the jokes and violence.

It's an actual TV series and not just a long prequel/advertisement for an upcoming movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Freddie Stroma's so good in this show. I know it's just what actors are meant to do, but he's completely changed his physicality, and the poo poo he's doing with his voice, it's just so loving good.

I was concerned that it was another dude playing the character in the costume, rather than just for the stunts and stuff like you'd expect, but goddamn it actually seems like it's him. Just so loving good.

Yeah, I looked him up because I couldn't believe I had never seen him before, given how funny he is, and he was Cormac in the 6th Harry Potter? I can't see it, he's unrecognizable here. And I mean that as a massive compliment. He's loving killing it on Peacemaker. The bit where he tries to mask his face? Amazing. The part from this week's episode where he sits down with the white power group and systematically tears them down? MVP poo poo, on a show with John god drat Cena.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Vigilante is actually insane

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Show has really impressed me. Really continuing the wacky, stylish, morally bleak comedy vibe of Suicide Squad. And James Gunn actually gets across characterisation, gives all these scumbags a bit of pathos and growth. Then hits you with a classic bit of raising stakes, or a twist. Just solid storytelling.

The improv rants might run a little long in the tooth sometimes and I have NO IDEA where it's going or if it'll stick the landing, but honestly the best TV I've seen outside of The Expanse in years.

I don't vibe with The Boys, and I think it's because it takes itself too seriously in a way where Peacemaker keeps it light and smooths over it in rock music and cartoonishness. Like these characters are all horrific murderers so that I don't have too much distracting sympathy when Vigilante is getting tortured and can just laugh at the gags, but I can still feel kinda bad for Peacemaker crying and punching himself in the face because nobody likes him.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

James Gunn appears to be really good at telling stories where every single character is an rear end in a top hat but you end up loving them anyway.

Now I really liked both Guardians movies, but it seems to me that Starlord and Peacemaker are basically the same character; Over-confident goof who likes to gently caress and has turbo daddy issues.

Except one is played by the worst Chris and the other is John Cena after twenty years of performance-enhancing charisma injections, and is also allowed to say 'gently caress' now without corporate making GBS threads themselves.

So, um, show good? Yes, show good.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think there's still multiple ways it could go. Obviously the simplest is that he's rogue. Or maybe he's using the government to hunt rogues. Or maybe there are no rogues, and he's just letting the team kill a few to maintain his cover while waiting for the best time to turn on them. Or something even stranger the way this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder how much "troma" had to do with Freddy Stroma catching James Gunn's eye. The character was recast after the first guy had "creative differences"

Also this ep was directed by Jody Hill, who is Danny McBride's creative partner.