Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Let's start with the Steelers and Big Ben's successor. Today Mike Tomlin said "all options" are on the table so that means Tomlin might be behind center himself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33093370/mike-tomlin-says-all-options-table-next-pittsburgh-steelers-starting-qb

What's the most likely scenario for Pittsburgh to land a new QB? Draft? Trade? Free agent signing? Settle for Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins?

Any chance that Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers find a way into Steel City next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Next up, the sad sack Carolina Panthers.

Sam Darnold laid an egg. Cam Newton looked rejuvenated for a couple of quarters.

The Panthers expressed interest in Deshaun Watson but that never panned out because he's still radioactive. Maybe by next season?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The Detroit Lions and Jared Goff. 3-13-1. Ay caramba!!

The Lions currently have the #1 pick in next year's draft. At least Amon-Ra St. Brown is coming alive for whoever is slingin' next in the near Motorless City.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The Houston Texans.

What does it matter, really? No QB is gonna help that pathetic organization. Maybe Davis Mills (the name of a local shopping mall, as Tony Kornheiser quipped) actually sticks. But probably not because a new coach will likely want a new pivot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Aren’t the Lions #2 after the Jags? How often does a team get the #1 spot two years in a row? I guess Cleveland did like 6 years ago.

My guess is Lions ride Goff another year and see if he improves. He had respectable games towards the end of the season.

Bears have Foles still. Anyone want to trade?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The Seattle Seahawks. Russ says he wants to "explore options," like your girlfriend said in high school just before she broke up with you.

An article on Bleacher Report today cites an anonymous AFC "executive" saying that the team isn't as high on Wilson as most people might think.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10024201-afc-exec-on-russell-wilson-i-dont-think-seahawks-are-as-high-on-qb-as-they-let-on

Could be a case of "You don't want us? Well, we don't want you either!"

So the Seahawks may well be in the market for a QB. Who's a good fit?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

Aren’t the Lions #2 after the Jags? How often does a team get the #1 spot two years in a row? I guess Cleveland did like 6 years ago.

My guess is Lions ride Goff another year and see if he improves. He had respectable games towards the end of the season.

Bears have Foles still. Anyone want to trade?

I stand corrected. You are right, the Jags swiped the #1 spot from the lowly Lions.

And, yeah, Foles should get another chance someone next season. I mean...

https://twitter.com/CraigMeyerPG/status/1482881973861429250

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's a carousel of sorts in San Francisco. Will Jimmy G be back in some capacity? If so, what becomes of Trey Lance? If Lance is the new QB, who do they get to back him up?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
All I know is, one or both of Jameis Winston and/or Marcus Mariota may be highly sought after in the TYOOL 2022. Despite them both having a history of being bad when not playing for Sean Payton and the former coming off a torn ACL. Will Nick Foles finally be freed? Will Minshewmania fulfill his destiny and become something like Ryan Fitzpatrick? Will this draft be as bad for QBs as everyone says, will it be fine, or will it be the 2013 draft?
Oh yeah, and the original NVP will be available. After a year sitting behind Josh Allen, he's still down to kiss titties but not kiddies, unlike some other sickos.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a carousel of sorts in San Francisco. Will Jimmy G be back in some capacity? If so, what becomes of Trey Lance? If Lance is the new QB, who do they get to back him up?
That's a good question, but it's certainly better than having Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins.
I would feel bad for the Steelers if they didn't deserve it and weren't going to win 8+ games somehow anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Goff is the Lions guy for the foreseeable future. He improved over the course of the year and the reality of his contract and the state of the roster means there's no real point in trying to replace him anyway. He's at the very least the QB for 2022 but the Lions, frankly, seem committed to him beyond the short team and if he plays the entire year like he did down the stretch, once he was healthy and Dan Campbell was calling the plays? poo poo, maybe he'll actually be good. :shrug:

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Let's throw the Dolphins into the mix. Tua was shite this season. Miami might as well go out and get ol' Fitzmagic back. He's not great but he's better than what they had going on in 2021.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tua should play next year and then the dolphins should evaluate based on the combo of his performance and who falls to them in the draft

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sorry for trolling

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I hope the Raiders extend Carr instead of doing something stupid.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

MrLogan posted:

I hope the Raiders extend Carr instead of doing something stupid.

Carr with 4,800 yards this season, the best of his career, although he has broken the 4,000 yard mark in four straight seasons now. He did it with a below-average receiving corps. Lost Henry Ruggs. Was playing with an injured Darren Waller (or wasn't playing with him due to injury).

But the 23/14 TD-INT ratio was a letdown.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Enter Carson Wentz. He showed flashes of being competent but ended the season by imploding. His starting job with the Colts could be in jeopardy, but he might survive due to this being such a high demand off-season for QBs.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don't know

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's back

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He'll get one more shot

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
While I like the Bortles acquisition Im afraid I still need more. What QB prospects are going to be available in the draft around pick 18?

Edit: Kenny Pickett with his baby mitts? Lost season in the making

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 19, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Colts should start Jonathan Taylor at qb.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm thinking Wentz is the Week 1 starter for the Colts next year, but they'll bring in a more credible backup and greatly shorten his leash. And after next season he's gone (barring some kind of massive bounceback), and the Colts do whatever they need to in the draft to get a potential franchise guy.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MJeff posted:

Goff is the Lions guy for the foreseeable future. He improved over the course of the year and the reality of his contract and the state of the roster means there's no real point in trying to replace him anyway. He's at the very least the QB for 2022 but the Lions, frankly, seem committed to him beyond the short team and if he plays the entire year like he did down the stretch, once he was healthy and Dan Campbell was calling the plays? poo poo, maybe he'll actually be good. :shrug:

I didn't watch much towards the end of the year but my gut says if you're entering a season with Jared Goff penciled in as QB1, you're fixing your team's ceiling at the #7 seed, absent an elite defense or running game. And while that's acceptable for next season and certainly better than almost every Lions team in my and my parents' lifetimes, I don't know if that gets Campbell and Holmes a second contract.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think there's going to zero established QBs moving this year and if a team needs a QB they are looking at either a lovely rookie or a journeyman stopgap

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

DariusLikewise posted:

I think there's going to zero established QBs moving this year and if a team needs a QB they are looking at either a lovely rookie or a journeyman stopgap

Well whatever you think of him, Jimmy G is an established QB and he's almost certainly going to be on a different team next season

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

tinstaach posted:

I didn't watch much towards the end of the year but my gut says if you're entering a season with Jared Goff penciled in as QB1, you're fixing your team's ceiling at the #7 seed, absent an elite defense or running game. And while that's acceptable for next season and certainly better than almost every Lions team in my and my parents' lifetimes, I don't know if that gets Campbell and Holmes a second contract.

Goff's kind of the best of bad options at the moment. He's 30M in dead cap for 2022 and is effectively untradable and uncuttable at the moment. Lions probably can't afford to sacrifice a huge amount of money and/or draft picks on a QB FA or someone from a middling QB draft class when they still need to recover depth lost when they attempted to go Patriots Way. They don't really have a choice but to ride out Goff for the next year.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Anals of History posted:

Goff's kind of the best of bad options at the moment. He's 30M in dead cap for 2022 and is effectively untradable and uncuttable at the moment. Lions probably can't afford to sacrifice a huge amount of money and/or draft picks on a QB FA or someone from a middling QB draft class when they still need to recover depth lost when they attempted to go Patriots Way. They don't really have a choice but to ride out Goff for the next year.
Yeah, their roster is too talent poor: they can't afford to reach on a QB. They need NFL-caliber talent and they need it virtually everywhere. It would smart for them to take a flier on some one inexpensive, but they're likely playing the long game at QB, with such a weak class and Goff's contract.
So I guess it's good they already have 2 1sts next year.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Right, I'm saying they need to move on from Goff as soon as possible, and "as soon as possible" isn't now, it's 2023.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's kind of dumb Foles is stuck as a third-stringer, especially since he actually won a game last year despite that. He's not really starter-material, but he's definitely a high-end backup and could serve as a decent bridge QB.

Also I absolutely want to see Minshew start somewhere next year. He's the new Ryan Fitzpatrick that we all badly need.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Mega64 posted:

It's kind of dumb Foles is stuck as a third-stringer, especially since he actually won a game last year despite that. He's not really starter-material, but he's definitely a high-end backup and could serve as a decent bridge QB.

Also I absolutely want to see Minshew start somewhere next year. He's the new Ryan Fitzpatrick that we all badly need.

Minshew is wasted talent right now. Sirianni is not inclined to move away from Hurts at the Eagles starter. So hopefully Gardner can be traded somewhere that will give him a shot. He's 26 next season. Still some upside in his career.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Colts would've been better off trading for Minshew than Wentz. He could've handed the ball off to Taylor and only costed at most a 4th.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Drew Lock will save a franchise

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

unleash the dragon

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

unlock drew. the last of the andeys

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mega64 posted:

I think Dalton is a FA, so Foles like moves to 2nd string behind Fields.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'd take the red rifle as a bridge QB while we wait to get out from Darnold's fifth year option.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jimmy G is a mystery to me. The 49ers are terrible without him, but are one of the best teams in the NFC when he's in the lineup, even though he is pretty frequently atrocious. Is he a wizard at ball fakes or something? Inspirational half-time speaker? I just don't get it.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
all he does is win

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Simplex posted:

Jimmy G is a mystery to me. The 49ers are terrible without him, but are one of the best teams in the NFC when he's in the lineup, even though he is pretty frequently atrocious. Is he a wizard at ball fakes or something? Inspirational half-time speaker? I just don't get it.

A polarizing figure, for sure. I remember hearing recently about his regular season record being really good and he was like 3-1 in playoff games, so I Googled his name to pull up his exact stats and I see two headlines that speak to your POV:

"49ers Carry Garoppolo in Huge Upset"

"Does Jimmy Garoppolo Deserve More Credit for 49ers Deep Playoff Run?"

The latter article starts off like this:

After the 49ers' 13-10 win over the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field Saturday night, Jimmy Garoppolo might deserve more credit. G

Throughout the entire 2021 season, Garoppolo had been in the line of fire from those outside of the 49ers' building. Tight end George Kittle believes the negative attention is misplaced and that the quarterback is more a reason for the team winning than people think.

"Jimmy G. I mean, you can’t say enough about that guy,” Kittle said. “The poo poo that he takes, excuse my language, people consistently try to pull him down and all he does is try to deliver. He leads this team and he is the sense of calm in the huddle, he is the sense of calm in the storm and he allows us to play at a high level.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/does-jimmy-garoppolo-deserve-more-credit-49ers-playoff-run

BTW, he's 33-14 for his career in the regular season.

Now he's 4-1 in the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Packers should get someone like Foles to clean up after Love's inevitable bed-making GBS threads.